Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Seinfeld Reunion??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-23, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,199 Likes on 931 Posts
Seinfeld Reunion??

Jerry Seinfeld teases possible ‘Seinfeld' reunion during stand-up show in Boston

Are Jerry, George, Elaine and Kramer about to return? "Something is going to happen that has to do with that ending," Seinfeld said of the iconic sitcom's final episode

By Mike Gavin • Published 15 mins ago •Updated 15 mins ago

Jerry Seinfeld was on stage Saturday and - yada, yada, yada - he hinted that "Seinfeld" might not be over just yet.

The 1998 finale of the iconic sitcom, which was created by Seinfeld and Larry David, was not well-received by some of the 76.3 million who tuned in at the time or by those who later watched on reruns or streaming.

While taking questions from the audience at his stand-up show on Saturday at the Wang Theatre in Boston, Seinfeld was asked if he liked the ending of the show.

“Well, I have a little secret for you about the ending," the 69-year-old Seinfeld said in a video posted on Instagram by Linda Henry, the CEO of Boston Globe Media. "But I can’t really tell it, because it is a secret. Here’s what I’ll tell you. OK? But you can’t tell anybody. Something is going to happen that has to do with that ending. Hasn’t happened yet. And just what you are thinking about, Larry and I have also been thinking about it. So, you’ll see."

It's a Festivus miracle!

"Seinfeld" -- which also starred Jason Alexander, Michael Richards and Julia Louis-Dreyfus - aired on NBC from 1989 to 1998, winning 10 Emmy Awards. David returned after his two-year departure to write the final episode, which brought back memorable ancillary characters from the show's past to testify against Jerry, George, Elaine and Kramer.

When previously asked about the show's final episode during a Reddit AMA in 2014, Seinfeld said, "It was a way to thank all of the people who worked on the show over the years that we thought made the show work. I don't believe in trying to change the past but I'm very happy with it.” Seinfeld's tease on Saturday might raise hopes of a reunion or reboot, but a new ending to the show could always come in another form.

The show had an unofficial reunion in 2009 as part of a season-long storyline in the seventh season of David's HBO series "Curb Your Enthusiasm." A modern version of Seinfeld's apartment was recreated and the main characters reprised their roles. Perhaps worlds will collide once again, although the 12th season of "Curb" has already been filmed and is reportedly expected to be the last in the series.

Or maybe there will actually be new episodes of “Seinfeld.” Either way, put on a Puffy Shirt, do the “little kicks” dance, grab some Junior Mints and celebrate like it’s Festivus...

Something will be happening on the show about nothing.
https://www.nbcboston.com/entertainm...3155766/?amp=1

Could be nothing but maybe? I’d love to see something happen if done right and if everyone is involved (the full cast and Larry David).

Last edited by Mike86; 10-09-23 at 08:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
andicus (10-09-23)
Old 10-10-23, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,984 Likes on 2,035 Posts
Re: Seinfeld Reunion??

I won't get my hopes up.

It will probably be something like the cast reuniting to do a Super Bowl commercial for Pepsi or something along those lines.

We can hope it's a new series continuing the old one, but I'm not getting my hopes up...

I have this opening scene in my head where Jerry is sitting on his couch, the door opens behind him, and a man (I have cast Sons of Anarchy's Mark Boone Jr) walks in, and says "Hey, Jerry." And Jerry replies, "Hey, Bob." Bob takes something from Jerry's refrigerator, and goes back to his apartment across the hall.

The idea being that Bob Sacamano has moved into Kramer's apartment because Kramer vanished after being released from prison. And the story involves Kramer's triumphant return...

I'm going with Mark Boone Jr because he had a bit part in the episode "The Subway" and I got it into my headcanon that that was Bob Sacamano.

Old 10-10-23, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A commercial would be fine but it’s happened once already. Not sure what format I’d want if it was something more.

A reunion episode (a story based episode and not just the cast reminiscing) would be cool but also might leave people wanting more, but yet I can’t see a full new series.

Maybe something like a ten episode season. Give us just enough to show what the characters are up to and how they likely haven’t changed. It would be fun to see.

The Curb Your Enthusiasm reunion season was fun to see. That was more than I ever thought we’d get. If we get something else similar I’d be happy I suppose.

Last edited by Mike86; 10-10-23 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-10-23, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,175 Likes on 848 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
A commercial would be fine but it’s happened once already. Not sure what format I’d want if it was something more.

A reunion episode (a story based episode and not just the cast reminiscing) would be cool but also might leave people wanting more, but yet I can’t see a full new series.

Maybe something like a ten episode season. Give us just enough to show what the characters are up to and how they likely haven’t changed. It would be fun to see.

The Curb Your Enthusiasm reunion season was fun to see. That was more than I ever thought we’d get. If we get something else similar I’d be happy I suppose.
People think it would be "fun" to get back together with these characters, but if 25 years later they are all still living in proximity and hanging out together all the time, this would be incredibly depressing. For 10 years we watched them be stuck in each other's orbits, unable to build familial relationships or have great success in their careers. If they are still like that in their 60s, then that is sad as fuck. And if their lives had changed markedly in the passing decades, then who wants to see that either? We want them to be who we know, but if they are still that, it is fucked up.

The show was great because it was exactly what it was, and those four people were exactly who they were. But that can only exist in the past, and that's where it needs to stay.

Seinfeld and David could not come up with a finale that was satisfactory, so what would make people think they could do a reunion series? Especially when there has never been a great "continuing the story" reunion series in the history of television.

...............LEAVE IT ALONE!!
Old 10-10-23, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,324 Likes on 965 Posts

I didn't mind the final episode. Maybe they want to do something since the Friends reunion went so well.
Old 10-10-23, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 363 Likes on 243 Posts

Those comments from Jerry were extremely veiled. Seinfeld is probably my favorite sitcom of all time, but if anything at all happens, it should just be a single reunion special (ala the Friends reunion) and not any new episodes.
Old 10-10-23, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably my favorite sitcom of all time too. Rewatched it over the past year or so on Netflix and it’s still great. Even the last couple of seasons which some people consider weaker I still enjoyed. I can see why people wouldn’t want it but I’d still be curious.
Old 10-10-23, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably my favorite sitcom of all time too. Rewatched it over the past year or so on Netflix and it’s still great. Even the last couple of seasons which some people consider weaker I still enjoyed. I can see why people wouldn’t want it but I’d still be curious.
It's my fav sitcom of all time, and I love the later seasons. IDC that they are a little more cartoonish, they are hilarious, and they really lean into the characters as "characters."
Old 10-10-23, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,488 Likes on 1,678 Posts

My favorite as well, even now I'm constantly rewatching episodes.
Old 10-10-23, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Seinfeld is probably my favorite show ever as well. I didn’t care for the ending when it first aired but over the years I’ve grown to appreciate it a lot more.

I guess we’ll see what happens but Jerry Seinfeld has always been pretty protective of the show. It’s well documented that he could have come back for more seasons but made the decision to leave while they were still at the top of their game. I don’t see him agreeing to do a reunion/revival season like we’ve seen so many shows do recently. Particularly since the vast majority of them have been shit.
Old 10-10-23, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The idea being that Bob Sacamano has moved into Kramer's apartment because Kramer vanished after being released from prison. And the story involves Kramer's triumphant return...
Maybe Kramer got mixed up with the Van Buren Boys while in prison.
Old 10-10-23, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,488 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Maybe Kramer got mixed up with the Van Buren Boys while in prison.
Hopefully he remembered their gang sign.
Old 10-10-23, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jerry got out of prison and the only job he could get was doing audience warm-up for Kenny Bania's hit sitcom.

"That's Gold!" starring Kenny Bania as Kenny Gold, a record producer whose life is turned upside-down when his struggling label is purchased by superstar rap mogul T. Diggity (Chris "Play" Martin), and Gold must learn to navigate the unfamiliar world of hip hop.

Iben Hjeje ("High Fidelity") also stars as Kenny's long-suffering and "way too hot for him" Danish wife.

Last edited by Count Dooku; 10-10-23 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-10-23, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 650 Likes on 395 Posts

If it is a continuation then based on all of the previous films/shows that have been done the characters will all have to have been living miserable lives since the finale.
Old 10-10-23, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,984 Likes on 2,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
People think it would be "fun" to get back together with these characters, but if 25 years later they are all still living in proximity and hanging out together all the time, this would be incredibly depressing. For 10 years we watched them be stuck in each other's orbits, unable to build familial relationships or have great success in their careers. If they are still like that in their 60s, then that is sad as fuck. And if their lives had changed markedly in the passing decades, then who wants to see that either? We want them to be who we know, but if they are still that, it is fucked up.

The show was great because it was exactly what it was, and those four people were exactly who they were. But that can only exist in the past, and that's where it needs to stay.
Really, I would fully expect the core four to be at exactly the same places in their lives that they were in when we left them. It's literally baked into the premise that these people don't learn or change. Nobody will have gotten married, nobody will have found success.

Only thing is that all of the actors are getting up there in age. Jerry is 69, Michael is 74, Jason is 64, and Julia is 62. So it's going to be weird to see them doing the same kinds of antics they were three decades ago in the 2020s. Kramer getting into crypto and NFT? George joining the Proud Boys to impress a woman? Elaine breaking up with a guy because he didn't reply to a facebook post with the right emoji? Jerry getting cancelled over an innocuous-seeming joke he tells on his youtube channel?
GoldenJCJ (10-10-23)
Old 10-10-23, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree about the fact that they’re obviously older might be a bit odd to see the characters in their same or similar antics. I think ideally if a reunion was going to happen it should have been back during the Curb Your Enthusiasm season (2009). We kind of got it but also not really at the same time.
Old 10-10-23, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree about the fact that they’re obviously older might be a bit odd to see the characters in their same or similar antics. I think ideally if a reunion was going to happen it should have been back during the Curb Your Enthusiasm season (2009). We kind of got it but also not really at the same time.
I know it would have been way too early and it was long before all these reunion series started but I always thought it would have been cool to have them do a reunion around 2000. Seeing them all get released from their one-year jail sentence and watch them resume their lives.
Old 10-10-23, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know it would have been way too early and it was long before all these reunion series started but I always thought it would have been cool to have them do a reunion around 2000. Seeing them all get released from their one-year jail sentence and watch them resume their lives.
After the finale back in the day I had hopes that would actually happen. Have the show take a break for a couple years or so and then come back. I was probably reading too much into Jerry’s line of: we'll be out in a year and then we’ll be back.
GoldenJCJ (10-10-23)
Old 10-10-23, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a TV show so it does not have to be real, but after a year, all of them would have lost their apartments. Elaine would have lost her job at Peterman. If George was still working at Kruger, he lost that job. Would NBC pick back up with "Jerry" the sitcom?

In the later seasons, both Jerry and Elaine voiced their concerns about the ruts their lives were stuck in, as part of this foursome. At least for Elaine, I would hope that some months away from the boys would open her eyes and light a fire under her ass that she needs to get going with something in her life. And if that NBC deal went away, then Jerry is back to being a road comic, but looking at 50 soon.
Old 10-10-23, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 224 Posts

Gritty depressing reboot it is then.
Old 10-10-23, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,710 Likes on 4,574 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
Those comments from Jerry were extremely veiled. Seinfeld is probably my favorite sitcom of all time, but if anything at all happens, it should just be a single reunion special (ala the Friends reunion) and not any new episodes.
That could totally be what it is. Easy to shoot, quick, requires almost no writing. Give all four of the cast and Larry David $5M of Netflix money each and sit them down for a day. You create huge buzz for a new show and renew interest in your streaming property for a fraction of the cost of one of their original action films that everyone forgets exists in a couple of weeks.
Old 10-10-23, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Meh.. if that’s all it is I’d watch it but it wouldn’t be that interesting to me. Plus the way Jerry phrased it he said something is going to happen that has to do with that ending. Leads me to think something possible with a storyline. Maybe not though.
Old 10-11-23, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 203 Likes on 164 Posts

Doing it as a Curb season where they kind of made fun of doing it was perfect. I don't know that actually doing it is a good idea. But I assume if they are then they have at least a kernel of an idea.
Old 10-11-23, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 363 Likes on 243 Posts

Meh.. if that’s all it is I’d watch it but it wouldn’t be that interesting to me. Plus the way Jerry phrased it he said something is going to happen that has to do with that ending. Leads me to think something possible with a storyline. Maybe not though.
Different strokes of course, but my interest is the opposite. This far removed from the original show, any attempt to continue the narrative would feel forced to me and doesn't have much appeal. But a one-time show where the cast gathers to reflect on their time on the show after being away from it for so many years does have some appeal.
Old 10-11-23, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I could see it being a Super Bowl commercial....as much as I don't really want that to be the result of his tease.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.