Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Justified: City Primeval (S1E04) - "Kokomo" - 8/1/23

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-23, 06:35 AM

Received 4,598 Likes on 3,115 Posts
Justified: City Primeval (S1E04) - "Kokomo" - 8/1/23

Raylan tangles with the Albanian mob. Mansell forms a new alliance. Carolyn lets her guard down. Written by Taylor Elmore. Directed by Gwyneth Horder-Payton.
Old 08-01-23, 10:04 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 261 Likes on 197 Posts
Re: Justified: City Primeval (S1E04) - "Kokomo" - 8/1/23

No daughter and less Mansell made for a better episode.

McManus from Oz as the the head of the Albanians

Trying to pass off Chicago as Detroit is funny at times. I recognized RJ Grunts, the restaurant that Mansell and Sandy were eating in.
Old 08-02-23, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
Trying to pass off Chicago as Detroit is funny at times. I recognized RJ Grunts, the restaurant that Mansell and Sandy were eating in.
That part kind of bums me out. I grew up in Detroit and decided to watch the show to catch some familiar sights but other than the establishing skyline shots everything is pure Chicago. Yes they're both big Midwestern cities but they look nothing alike at street level.
Old 08-02-23, 06:13 PM

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Having just spent a week in Detroit and then driving through Chicago on the way home, I 100% agree.

I love how much Detroit we get in Out of Sight, even if it was just second unit footage.
Old 08-02-23, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,368 Likes on 930 Posts

Fun episode. Love how Raylan talks to people. The conversation with the Albanian boss and then his thugs later was great.
Old 08-02-23, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,030 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
No daughter and less Mansell made for a better episode.

McManus from Oz as the the head of the Albanians

Yeah, that didn't really work, did it?

But it was a decent episode.

The lawyer has been hot for Raylan, since she first saw him. Guess she might get her wish.

I recognized the Blanton's she was carrying, right away. Been meaning to try it, but it's not available here.
The following users liked this post:
uteotw (08-03-23)
Old 08-03-23, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
Yeah, that didn't really work, did it?

But it was a decent episode.

The lawyer has been hot for Raylan, since she first saw him. Guess she might get her wish.

I recognized the Blanton's she was carrying, right away. Been meaning to try it, but it's not available here.
I loved the Blanton's throwback, but yeah it doesn't seem to be available hardly anywhere (unless maybe you're in KY, but not sure). I used to be able to get it from time to time but not anymore, though I do have one bottle I'm saving.

It was certainly better without the daughter and this ep had some decent moments. I'm still annoyed by the main bad guy, and I'm really sick of seeing him walk around in his bathrobe and underwear. I miss Winona and Ava.
The following users liked this post:
andicus (08-03-23)
Old 08-03-23, 04:43 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 929 Likes on 779 Posts

There seems to be nothing going on in this show. Lot of posturing, but there’s no meat to this story. I’m sorry to say, that I’m quite disappointed but the lack of anything.
Old 08-04-23, 09:58 AM

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
There seems to be nothing going on in this show. Lot of posturing, but there’s no meat to this story. I’m sorry to say, that I’m quite disappointed but the lack of anything.
I agree completely.

Additionally, I don't understand why Boyd Holbrook continues to be given roles. He's not been good in anything I've watched and he's certainly not good in this. But his character is also a "generic friendly asshole sociopath," so it's not as if he was given much to work with.
Old 08-04-23, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by uteotw
I loved the Blanton's throwback, but yeah it doesn't seem to be available hardly anywhere (unless maybe you're in KY, but not sure). I used to be able to get it from time to time but not anymore, though I do have one bottle I'm saving.

It was certainly better without the daughter and this ep had some decent moments. I'm still annoyed by the main bad guy, and I'm really sick of seeing him walk around in his bathrobe and underwear. I miss Winona and Ava.

100% agree. Such a cliché bad guy. Ugh.

This last one was better...not by much but without the daughter it raised the bar.
Old 08-04-23, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,102 Likes on 798 Posts

It's a mystery to me why Raylan is so committed to protecting this lady lawyer. And if the only answer is that he is sweet on her, then that is a mystery to me as well.
Old 08-04-23, 06:17 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I don't care about anyone on this new show. Why can't they make decent supporting characters like on Justified?
Old 08-08-23, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 620 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by uteotw

Blanton's is very hard to come by. My favorite bourbon.

And yes, I don't need to see tighty-whiteys.

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Originally Posted by d2cheer
100% agree. Such a cliché bad guy. Ugh.

This last one was better...not by much but without the daughter it raised the bar.
Originally Posted by Count Dooku
It's a mystery to me why Raylan is so committed to protecting this lady lawyer. And if the only answer is that he is sweet on her, then that is a mystery to me as well.
Originally Posted by Gizmo
I don't care about anyone on this new show. Why can't they make decent supporting characters like on Justified?
I'm still baffled why Raylan is even involved in this.

The bad guy - I just don't get it. He's absurd and beyond over the top. And not a mastermind.

I can only imagine trying to watch this on Hulu with commercials. It would take forever.

Slogged through 4 eps - thankfully on DVR. Not sure if I can make it for the rest.
Old 08-09-23, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

This show has one thing going for it: Timothy Olyphant as Raylan Givens. And that is apparently enough to get good reviews.
'cause my god, the story itself, the side characters and the villain? Basic and clichéd as basics an clichés go.
What a disappointment.
How long is this season again? I'm not sure I will make it past 5.
Old 12-22-23, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Their hookup was the least believable thing I’ve seen on television for quite a while. There was nothing organic about it. I’m not a fan of cheap “will they or won’t they” drama, but in this case no one was even asking.
Old 12-22-23, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
This show has one thing going for it: Timothy Olyphant as Raylan Givens. And that is apparently enough to get good reviews.
It’s been enough to keep me watching. The rest of the show is on fairly shaky ground.