Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (S2E06) -- "Lost in Translation" -- 7/20/23

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-19-23, 10:33 PM

Received 816 Likes on 531 Posts

LOST IN TRANSLATION - Uhura seems to be the only one who can hear a strange sound. When the noise triggers terrifying hallucinations, she enlists an unlikely assistant to help her track down the source.

Directed by Dan Liu. Written by David Reed and Onitra Johnson
Old 07-20-23, 08:42 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 589 Likes on 337 Posts
re: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (S2E06) -- "Lost in Translation" -- 7/20

This was a solid episode. I love Gooding's Uhura, and Wesley's Kirk. They worked well together.
Old 07-20-23, 11:07 AM

I want to change the episode title to “When James Met Spock.”

This was a great episode and it was good to see Hemmer again. Like Uhura, I miss him.
Old 07-20-23, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts

The contrast between this show and Discovery is so stark when you look at the death of Hemmer, who made a real impression in just a handful of episodes, and Discovery’s blatantly sentimental attempt to wring pathos out of the death of an android character, Airiam, who was basically just a background extra. They spent an entire episode weeping about a character who barely existed, and it felt so forced.

SNW really works for me because in just 1.5 seasons they’ve made the crew feel like a real team and family while Disco became the Michael Burham show. Trek works best when it’s a solid ensemble.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (07-25-23)
Old 07-21-23, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,873 Likes on 1,153 Posts

Good ep.

Pros:
-PELIA!
-Una/Pelia drama
-Seeing Hemmer was ok. I got over his death pretty fast.. Zombie Hemmer was freaky as fuck.
-Uhura's Do-Rag 😍😍 (none here will get the signifigance and thats ok)
-Saaam Muthahfuckin Kirk!!! 👍🏿👍🏿
-Spock taking a backseat this week.
-Less La'ann focus this week so it didn't feel like "Star Trek La'ann" like the past few eps.
-Uhura focus this week.
-Uhura, Spock, and Kirk at the end.
-Spock clearing Kirk's glass before joining Uhura and Kirk. 🤣😂
-The Enterprise looked badass in space. This is my 2nd favorite Enterprise design, the 1st being 2009 Kelvin Timeline Enterprise.

Cons:
-The Aliens trying to communicate via terrorizimg a character is a bit of a tired trope.
-Sigh...Spock and Chapel yay...
-Not enough Pelia
-While the ep was good, it felt long. Or should i say, it started to drag in the 2nd act a bit.
The following 3 users liked this post by Giantrobo:
Bandoman (07-21-23), Goldberg74 (07-21-23), tanman (07-25-23)
Old 07-21-23, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,039 Likes on 637 Posts

The basic premise (undetectable alien life put at risk unknowingly by the crew) has been used before, but this was a good execution of it. Some good character development for Uhura and Kirk (James T). Loved the last scene with Uhura, Kirk, and Spock sitting down together. The kind of retrofuturist set design of the bar is great--paying a little homage to TOS-era aesthetics.

I like Kane as Pelia and hope at some point we get an episode centered on her.

I wonder if we will see any consequences for Pike for destroying the refinery. While we know he made the correct decision and that Uhura was not just delusional, Starfleet may disagree.
Old 07-22-23, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Spock clearing Kirk's glass before joining Uhura and Kirk. 🤣😂
I actually think that was the glass Sam left. It’s consistent with previous episode where Spock keeps getting annoyed with Sam for not cleaning up after himself. That explains why Spock was so quick to swoop in to the table randomly.

Also, liked Kirk’s nod to being a 4-D cheese whiz.
Old 07-24-23, 10:18 AM

re: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (S2E06) -- "Lost in Translation" -- 7/20/23

Sorry about this thread disappearing. I inadvertently removed this one when I meant to delete the first ep 7 thread that was started before they released it at SDCC.
HN (07-24-23)
Old 07-24-23, 10:27 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 589 Likes on 337 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (S2E06) -- "Lost in Translation" -- 7/20/23

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Sorry about this thread disappearing. I inadvertently removed this one when I meant to delete the first ep 7 thread that was started before they released it at SDCC.
That was my thread you meant to delete.

Goldberg74 (07-24-23)
Old 07-24-23, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 473 Likes on 328 Posts

LOL the missing thread played out exactly like I thought.
Goldberg74 (07-24-23)
Old 07-24-23, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,873 Likes on 1,153 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (S2E06) -- "Lost in Translation" -- 7/20

Originally Posted by Superman07
I actually think that was the glass Sam left. It’s consistent with previous episode where Spock keeps getting annoyed with Sam for not cleaning up after himself. That explains why Spock was so quick to swoop in to the table randomly.

Also, liked Kirk’s nod to being a 4-D cheese whiz.
Yes, i know this.... Sam is still a KIRK right?
Old 07-25-23, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
The contrast between this show and Discovery is so stark when you look at the death of Hemmer, who made a real impression in just a handful of episodes, and Discovery’s blatantly sentimental attempt to wring pathos out of the death of an android character, Airiam, who was basically just a background extra. They spent an entire episode weeping about a character who barely existed, and it felt so forced.

SNW really works for me because in just 1.5 seasons they’ve made the crew feel like a real team and family while Disco became the Michael Burham show. Trek works best when it’s a solid ensemble.
I don't tend to forget what I watch or most of it tends to stand out. I remember that character now yet I had to look up the same. That's how much impact characters had on Discovery until they started to use them more. The first two seasons were almost nothing.
Old 07-25-23, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 985 Likes on 714 Posts

Fun episode but easy to see where it was going, early on. This whole cast is a home run. Best Trek cast since TNG, IMO.
Old 07-26-23, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 972 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean

Totally agree. That was the one episode where I was like, finally, they're actually starting to develop some other characters. Before they promptly killed her off and realized it was just emotionally manipulative garbage.

But the last season they have tried to correct that and they have been working much more as a team so if you abandoned STD before try to pick it up again. I'm really hoping with the success of SNW the last season they will get back to more character centric trek on STD as well.

Pros:
-Seeing Hemmer was ok. I got over his death pretty fast.. Zombie Hemmer was freaky as fuck.
I'm still not over it.

I'm glad they're still showing how its affecting the crew, especially Uhura. Also nice to see Pelia cutting right to the reason why Una was treating her so poorly.

-Uhura's Do-Rag 😍😍 (none here will get the signifigance and thats ok)
Insert Captain America "I get that reference" meme here.

I won't claim that I fully appreciate the significance but I did recognize that it was culturally appropriate and something oftentimes not shown. Representation matters!

But can you help me out here. Is it specifically for African Americans who oftentimes wear do-rags? Or is it something that comes from Africa? Uhura is from Kenya right? So she's not African American is she?
[/quote]

-Saaam Muthahfuckin Kirk!!! 👍🏿👍🏿
I love the direction they are going with Sam. So hilarious. It does make his death in TOS a lot more sad though vs just a silly cameo of Bill in a fake mustache.

-Uhura, Spock, and Kirk at the end.
-Spock clearing Kirk's glass before joining Uhura and Kirk. 🤣😂
That was perfect. Absolutely loved the three of them at a table together. And I loved how unsignificant it was. Like it wasn't dramaticized to some big fake moment. It was just a simple meeting of future friends at a table in a bar. Perfect.

-The Enterprise looked badass in space. This is my 2nd favorite Enterprise design, the 1st being 2009 Kelvin Timeline Enterprise.
Wow really the Kelvin? That's interesting. I was one who didn't really like the Kelvinverse iteration of the Enterprise when they released the picture before the movie came out. Then I saw it in the actual movie and loved it. Going back on the discussion of canon I loved that it was a different timeline and built in response to the Narada attack. Perfect explanation.

The STD/SNW Enterprise is quickly becoming my second favorite iteration. The Refit/A just edges it out slightly. Love that ship.