Reload this Page >

Jury Duty (Freevee)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jury Duty (Freevee)

Old 06-24-23, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,038 Likes on 822 Posts
Jury Duty (Freevee)

This one has out for a while, figured I'd make a thread for it since it seems to have gained some traction. Typical reality setup - cameras follow a jury as they go through the full process - where everyone is an actor except the star of the show, and the case is fake.

Amusing show. The amount of shit talking about Marsden, particularly against Sonic, in the first episode was delightful. Especially his mildly pathetic "If you bought Sonic I would have gotten a dollar."

​​​​​
Old 06-25-23, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 628 Likes on 504 Posts
Re: Jury Duty (Freevee)

Binged it several weeks ago. Really funny. If you were a fan of the old Joe Schmo show, you should love this.
The following users liked this post:
story (06-25-23)
Old 06-25-23, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 175 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Binged it several weeks ago. Really funny. If you were a fan of the old Joe Schmo show, you should love this.
I loved Joe Schmo and wondered if this was similar. May have to give it a try.
story (06-25-23)
Old 06-27-23, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts

Just went through this. Was a pleasant surprise. It is nice to know that there are still people out there who are genuinely nice. Marsden was great.
chowderhead (06-27-23)
Old 06-28-23, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,044 Likes on 641 Posts

I've been watching this the last couple of days. Still have two more episodes to go, but I am really enjoying this. Lots of funny moments.
Old 06-28-23, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

The defense's animation reenactment was so great.
whotony (07-31-23)
Old 06-28-23, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just finished it. The reveal episode was great! Loved how they showed how excited the crew was whenever Ronald did exactly what they were hoping he would. Fun to find out a little about the actors, too.

Looks like they have the episodes with cast commentary in the "bonus" listings for the show. I definitely want to hear those.
Old 06-30-23, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 351 Likes on 236 Posts

My wife and I watched this a couple months ago and absolutely loved it!

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Looks like they have the episodes with cast commentary in the "bonus" listings for the show. I definitely want to hear those.
Thanks for the tip - I didn't know those existed but now I'm eager to check them out.
Old 07-17-23, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,381 Likes on 4,367 Posts

I have watched three episodes this weekend and absolutely loved it. It's so clever and surprisingly funny. And yes, Ronald seems like such a genuinely nice and kind person. Really enjoying it. Looking forward to the eventual reveal.
I'm still pissed that The Rehearsal got shut out at the Emmys, but if that snub was mostly due to concerns of how seemingly callously that show treated unsuspecting "real people", I'm glad that this is the show that took its spot in the Best Comedy category.
Old 07-17-23, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I was thrilled to see this get some Emmy noms!

The cast commentary versions are worth watching if you enjoyed the show. I've got a few more to go. It's the same people so far for all the commentaries--including the director, Ronald, James, and a few of the other jurors.
Old 07-26-23, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I thought it started off very well but got less funny as it went along. A lot of funny stuff during the jury selection and trial, but some of the jury room and off-site stuff was a chore to get through.
Old 07-28-23, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 175 Likes on 139 Posts

Yeah this was good, but it was straight-up lifted from Joe Schmo. I hope they give credit to the original amidst all the (deserved) praise they are receiving. This was a lot more even keeled/reality based, whereas Schmo was over the top nuts (and hilarious). Some of that has to do with the "Schmo" being a LOT more savvy and harder to keep on the line these days. Reality TV in general was so new during the original that people on it would believe and go along with most anything.
Old 07-28-23, 10:23 AM

Really enjoyed the payoff. Very fun show and Ronald was so great a person. They couldn't have hoped for a better subject. I had to laugh how they ended up having to make up a Blood Alcohol test result (in the jury deliberation room!) because Ronald was more engaged in the case than they had anticipated.

Did anyone understand what they were talking about with the cast taking lunch? I watched it twice with my son and daughter and we were all confused. They said the staff had to eat lunch twice, but I couldn't understand why they couldn't just you know order lunch, then have it delivered and served like the real jurors would.
Old 07-28-23, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
Really enjoyed the payoff. Very fun show and Ronald was so great a person. They couldn't have hoped for a better subject. I had to laugh how they ended up having to make up a Blood Alcohol test result (in the jury deliberation room!) because Ronald was more engaged in the case than they had anticipated.

Did anyone understand what they were talking about with the cast taking lunch? I watched it twice with my son and daughter and we were all confused. They said the staff had to eat lunch twice, but I couldn't understand why they couldn't just you know order lunch, then have it delivered and served like the real jurors would.
I was confused by that also.
Old 07-28-23, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My understanding is that it has to do with union rules for the actors. They can't work too many hours without a break with a meal provided, and the scripted lunch break with Ronald wouldn't count because the actors would be working during that lunch. So there had to be a separate break where they were provided a meal and were not on camera. I'm not sure what Ronald was doing while the rest of the jury had their off-camera lunch. Maybe they would pull him aside to film a 'confessional' video each day during that time and he thought the others were doing the same?
Old 07-29-23, 12:58 AM

I checked Reddit and that seems to be just about right :
They didn’t explain it well. Everything on sets is unionized and very regulated. Cast must get a lunch break and must be provided food. I don’t know how they got them fed without Ronald seeing. My guess is he did a confessional while they got their break. But then since they had catered food during the break, they had to have catered food AGAIN with Ronald, since the on set caterer provided the fake takeout.

Edit: So for example. Monday night they find out Tuesday is pizza. Each actor tells “production” what they want. For example - someone wants 2 slices of mushroom. Production gets it ready Tuesday morning for the on camera lunch. Then Ronald goes around and takes orders. What he doesn’t know is that every order except his is already ready. The actors have to remember to order the same thing that production has already prepared. The 2 slices of mushroom guy must order that exact thing again. Then all production has to do in the next 45 minutes or so is make Ronald’s food. And also in that 45 minutes, he goes out to do a confessional, and everybody else takes their union mandated lunch break, with food. Then they come back on set, he comes in, and… takeout’s here!
​​​​​​​They certainly could have explained that more clearly in the final episode.
Old 07-31-23, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Just finished it. The reveal episode was great! Loved how they showed how excited the crew was whenever Ronald did exactly what they were hoping he would. Fun to find out a little about the actors, too.

Thanks for bringing the commentaries to my attention. They explained a lot of the small details of how things happened and pivots that were made. They're very entertaining and really added to my appreciation of the show.
Old 08-01-23, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DWilson
Thanks for bringing the commentaries to my attention. They explained a lot of the small details of how things happened and pivots that were made. They're very entertaining and really added to my appreciation of the show.
I enjoyed them as well, though some of the insider info I had already heard in interviews.
Old 11-30-23, 04:27 PM

More Ronald coming our way!
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
Deftones (11-30-23), kefrank (11-30-23)
Old 11-30-23, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts

Good for that guy. Seemed like a genuinely nice person. Hope he is successful.
Decker (11-30-23)