DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Northern Exposure Appreciation Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/657775-northern-exposure-appreciation-thread.html)

lwhy? 05-23-23 06:44 PM

Northern Exposure Appreciation Thread

I did some searching and couldn't a thread devoted to Northern Exposure (There was a thread about the revival that never seemed to happen and someone asking about Joel), so I decided to start a Northern Exposure appreciation thread. I was visiting my parents over the weekend and the internet is really bad there. It was out for three of the six days I visited, so I started watching Northern Exposure on DVD again. I absolutely love this show. It's crazy that it's not available to stream in HD. When I was younger, my parents watched it all the time, but I never saw the appeal (I wanted to watch sitcoms on ABC) until I started watching it in my 20s. It's now one of my top 10 favorite shows of all time. The Mystery of the Old Curio Shop is my favorite episode. It was a great Maurice episode.

I also found this reunion video on YouTube.

GoldenJCJ 05-23-23 07:30 PM

Re: Northern Exposure Appreciation Thread

I remember liking Northern Exposure well enough when I was a kid. It was my Mom’s favorite show so we watched consistently.

I haven’t given this show a second thought in 25 years or so though.

Count Dooku 05-23-23 08:35 PM

During the pandemic, I watched my NE DVDs. Still enjoyable after all these years.

Gizmo 05-23-23 09:41 PM

This was released on Blu-ray, atleast.

lwhy? 05-23-23 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 14276534)
This was released on Blu-ray, atleast.

Not in the US. The only ones I can find on the internet are region 2 Blu-rays.

TheBigDave 05-23-23 10:14 PM

Loved this show, and also Picket Fences. Both of those shows kinda disappeared over the years.

Count Dooku 05-23-23 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave (Post 14276541)
Loved this show, and also Picket Fences. Both of those shows kinda disappeared over the years.

I rewatched a bunch of Picket Fences on Hulu at some point. It doesn't hold up so great.

Bronkster 05-25-23 02:24 PM

I loved the show and purchased the first two seasons on DVD (with the parkas) and rewatched them a few years ago. Not sure why I never got later seasons, although the final season with the new leads is one I'll pass on.

Count Dooku 05-25-23 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bronkster (Post 14277404)
I loved the show and purchased the first two seasons on DVD (with the parkas) and rewatched them a few years ago. Not sure why I never got later seasons, although the final season with the new leads is one I'll pass on.

Maybe you were like me and picked up the early seasons DVDs when they were super cheap on sale.

kd5 05-25-23 08:14 PM

We picked up (and watched) Seasons 1 & 2 at a flea market a couple of years ago, then found Season 3 at another flea market last year. It hasn't come back up in the rotation yet but when it does you can bet we'll be watching it. Such a quirky show...:thumbsup:

leacha 06-03-23 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bronkster (Post 14277404)

The generic music? That turned me off.

Maxflier 06-15-23 12:00 PM

The seasons are now available in the Apple Store in HD.

lwhy? 06-15-23 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 14285437)
The seasons are now available in the Apple Store in HD.

Thanks! I'm going to have to check them out.

lwhy? 06-15-23 12:03 PM

I doesn't look like the pilot is on there. Nevermind. I couldn't see it on Apple TV, but I see it on iTunes.

lwhy? 06-26-23 07:00 PM

They now have the complete series on iTunes for $59.99. https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-seaso...1671?at=11laSw

Maxflier 08-04-23 08:37 AM

It's on sale for $39.99 as of this morning.

lwhy? 08-04-23 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 14305075)
It's on sale for $39.99 as of this morning.

I'm buying it. Six seasons for $39.99 is a good deal.

General Zod 08-04-23 11:00 AM

Fantastic show. I was never really that much into buying DVD's but I'd say of the perhaps 2 dozen I have.. Northern Exposure is in there.

Maxflier 08-04-23 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by lwhy? (Post 14305089)
I'm buying it. Six seasons for $39.99 is a good deal.

Any idea if the original music is intact?
Can't seem to find a straight answer online.

clckworang 08-04-23 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 14305275)

Not sure about the digital option, but the complete series Blu-ray from the UK has the original music.

I always loved this show. I was too young to watch during the original run but got hooked when they showed it in syndication on A&E.

I think this is the kind of show that would do great with a revival. Its tone and many of its stories have a very modern sensibility. Plus, the last season was a disappointment. It could use a better finish.

Gizmo 08-04-23 06:20 PM

The answer is most of the original music is present but not all. This is the best version we'll see in America as the only other way to get all the music if from Region B Blu-rays.If you have the DVDs this is a big update.

lwhy? 08-04-23 08:02 PM

People on the other site are saying the original music is there. I didn't watch it when it originally aired. So, i don't know what's original and what's not.

lwhy? 08-04-23 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang (Post 14305330)
I think this is the kind of show that would do great with a revival. Its tone and many of its stories have a very modern sensibility. Plus, the last season was a disappointment. It could use a better finish.

They announced a revival years ago, but I think it went through development hell and never moved forward.

lwhy? 11-17-23 07:49 AM

Complete Series is on sale at iTunes for $29.99.

dex14 11-18-23 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by lwhy? (Post 14276535)
Not in the US. The only ones I can find on the internet are region 2 Blu-rays.