TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Better Call Saul (S6E011) - "Breaking Bad" - 8/1/22

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-22, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 400 Likes on 300 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S6E011) - "Breaking Bad" - 8/1/22

Originally Posted by benh911
Trying to watch through AMC+ and it’s not working. What a disaster.
It stops at some point in the episode and says there’s a problem. I hit resume and it goes back a good 35 mins and I have to fast forward it.

Every. Single. Episode.

AMC+ sucks. I can’t wait to cancel it.
The following users liked this post:
benh911 (08-02-22)
Old 08-01-22, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

That ending and preview was ominous.

Loved catching up with Francesca. Revisiting Walt, Jesse and the RV really hit that sweet spot of nostalgia. Wild to see the show come full circle. The guys slipped back into character without missing a beat.

With the multiple references to cancer I wonder if Kim has lung cancer and Jimmy is getting the money for her. That would be a bummer.
Old 08-01-22, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Stuart from The Big Bang Theory.
When I first saw him, I thought he looked like Bob Balaban (CE3K, the Warren Littlefield buy from Seinfeld), but knew he wasn't old enough.
Old 08-02-22, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

So what was Saul yelling about on the phone when he tried to call Kim's work? I assume he didn't get to talk to her, but he seemed to be saying too much if he was just being told that she wasn't there or something like that.
Old 08-02-22, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
When I first saw him, I thought he looked like Bob Balaban (CE3K, the Warren Littlefield buy from Seinfeld), but knew he wasn't old enough.
Heh, I thought the exact same thing.

Nit-pick, I didn't think it made sense for Saul's scheme to have three guys. Wouldn't it have made more sense for the taxi driver to wait a little, and then go into the house to photograph the banking info? Now it's a two-way split instead of three-way.

I felt sad for the mother when Gene abruptly ditched her to go talk in the garage. She looked so disappointed sitting at the table alone.
Old 08-02-22, 12:08 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
So what was Saul yelling about on the phone when he tried to call Kim's work? I assume he didn't get to talk to her, but he seemed to be saying too much if he was just being told that she wasn't there or something like that.
Maybe he was given some bad news...
Old 08-02-22, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
As soon as we saw the bag over Saul’s head, I knew what scene it was.

Do we know if this is the only episode Walt and Jesse are in?
1 more episode
Old 08-02-22, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I actually liked the way they jumped back and forth with the timelines in this one. It really mirrored Jimmy/Saul/Gene breaking bad again. He just can't get it out of his blood.

I wonder what he was so mad about when he was on the phone trying to call Kim? It didn't seem obvious to me at the time, unless it was just that the person on the other end wouldn't tell Kim he called? I also thought he could have been upset at himself for trying to make contact and possibly giving himself and his location away. Francesca mentioned her phone being tapped, and it stands to reason that Kim's probably would be too if the Feds had any reason to believe Jimmy would contact her.

Edit: You guys were posting about the call while I was typing... did Gene start the new con after he tried calling Kim? Maybe she is sick as philo said a few posts up.
Old 08-02-22, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by philo
That ending and preview was ominous.

Loved catching up with Francesca. Revisiting Walt, Jesse and the RV really hit that sweet spot of nostalgia. Wild to see the show come full circle. The guys slipped back into character without missing a beat.

With the multiple references to cancer I wonder if Kim has lung cancer and Jimmy is getting the money for her. That would be a bummer.
Gene was clearly referencing Walt when he said even people with cancer can be a-holes during the scene with his two accomplices. If Kim did have cancer, I think Gene/Saul would have stopped when he found out the mark had cancer. He definitely is trying to raise money for something or some goal.
Old 08-02-22, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by philo
Originally Posted by chowderhead
Gene was clearly referencing Walt when he said even people with cancer can be a-holes during the scene with his two accomplices. If Kim did have cancer, I think Gene/Saul would have stopped when he found out the mark had cancer. He definitely is trying to raise money for something or some goal.
The title of this episode could be a clue that that is the case...
Old 08-02-22, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I felt sad for the mother when Gene abruptly ditched her to go talk in the garage. She looked so disappointed sitting at the table alone.
I suspect Jeff's mom (Burnett) is figuring out that that they're up to no good, and will be a problem for them.
Old 08-02-22, 08:09 AM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I wish this episode was just entirely made up of scenes during the Breaking Bad timeline. The back and forth didn’t really mesh well.
I feel like I'm watching outtakes and deleted scenes...
The following 2 users liked this post by Thos19:
BuckNaked2k (08-02-22), Spiderbite (08-08-22)
Old 08-02-22, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Yeah I thought it was pretty clear that Kim doesn't want anything to do with Jimmy/Saul now that he's notorious and one of the most wanted men in the country. And that realization, that there will be no happy ending for him, is what makes him truly Break Bad.
Old 08-02-22, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
I think she just didn’t want to talk to him (and her “asking about him” earlier just set him off)
uteotw (08-02-22)
Old 08-02-22, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

I feel like it's pretty obviously telegraphed that Marion will be responsible for Jimmy/Saul/Gene going down. He got his start wooing old folks and his over confidence with her will be his downfall.

The flashback scenes this week were kind of a waste. I don't see that they told us anything new. We know Mike was opposed to working with Heisenberg, but I'm not even sure that even counts as a reveal, as it felt like he was already that way in Breaking Bad.

I don't think it's intended, but the last two episodes have just made Jimmy/Saul/Gene feel pathetic to me. When he and Kim were taking down Howard, there was a reason for all the complexity and it was devious and clever. Throughout both shows, he's been able to spot and exploit an angle with ease. As I said last week, the stuff with the mall 'heist' felt idiotically complicated for relatively low stakes. The same goes for this week. First, I don't really buy that they'd be getting $6k a pop for false identities or that Jimmy/Saul/Gene would know how to connect with someone like that in Nebraska in the first place. But even if you wave those away, it comes across as another generally high-risk, low-reward scam with heavy reliance on partners who seem not to be the brightest lightbulbs in the box. And the whole 'tube in the sleeve to pump drinks into the hot water bottle' aspect felt like an idea a writer had and then was determined to cram in whether it made much sense or not. If the show is trying to convey that he's way past his prime and trying to capture the thrill of his glory days through stupid cons, that works for me, but the way it's shot and put together makes it feel like we're supposed to view this as him being smart and that doesn't.

I'm hoping I can get more into the last two episodes and am glad that some are enjoying where they're at now, but it's not working for me and I'm disappointed to feel like it's going out on a low note after it being such a great run.
Jason Bovberg (08-05-22)
Old 08-02-22, 10:00 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
The flashback scenes this week were kind of a waste. I don't see that they told us anything new. We know Mike was opposed to working with Heisenberg, but I'm not even sure that even counts as a reveal, as it felt like he was already that way in Breaking Bad.
The idea was to show how he was warned, but he still went anyway. He was warned the drugs might have worn off, but he still broke the glass.

I don't feel like the flashbacks were really effective in this manner, but that was the intent. Like I said, I would've preferred a dedicated episode showing scenes from Saul's perspective.
Old 08-02-22, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I agree with maxfisher that the flashback scenes from the Breaking Bad timeline seemed completely unnecessary. They almost seemed to be in there more for fan service, which doesn't ordinarily seem like this show. If anything, the scene with Walter and Jesse just took me out of the show. I'm not saying they should have used some digital trickery, but my first thought was how much older those actors now look. I realize Odenkirk is also older, but it just feels different since we've actively been in the BCS timeline.

I'm really hoping the Gene stuff manages to come together. I'm trying to have confidence even after two episodes that I'd likely put at the bottom of the series.
Old 08-02-22, 10:22 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

probably an unnecessary ratings gimmick to have Walt and Jesse.
Old 08-02-22, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I think it was the long awaited appearance of Walt and Jesse that fans have been expecting since Season 1. Remember back in the days of Seasons 1 and 2? Many of us speculated that there would be mad crossovers with BB, which, as we now know, never materialized.
Old 08-02-22, 11:22 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

spoilery interview...
https://variety.com/2022/tv/features...se-1235330693/
Spoiler:
Did you shoot any actual dialogue for the scene with Saul calling about Kim in the phone booth?

Yes, there’s a scene written. What he actually says, it will be addressed in a future episode. We’ll know some more details of what’s spoken about. Because we had just gotten a very long phone call with Francesca, we decided, “Do we want to do another phone call?” Then we started talking about how it’d be interesting to not hear the details of whatever news he heard about Kim and leave that for later. Something upset him — we don’t know exactly what — but we’re going to see how he deals with that pain.

big hint in that phrasing, IMO, but I don't think it's simply that...
Spoiler:
"she didn't want to talk to him." as I don't think his reaction/energy in that scene matches that explanation.

Old 08-02-22, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I’m guessing Kim somehow had to go to jail to protect Jimmy and that’s why he flipped out.
Old 08-02-22, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

This episode cemented what a piece of shit Jimmy is - probably worse than Walt.

He needs to rot in jail.

A good final episode would be of Jimmy in jail, trying to pull Slippin' Jimmy schemes, only to take it too far and get shanked and die in jail.
Old 08-02-22, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes, for years I've been wanting some kind of redemption story arc for Jimmy. At least with Walt I saw him as an anti-hero during the course of BB. But last night's episode shows any likeable quality Jimmy had is long gone. He really doesn't deserve another chance, which was kind of depressing to realize.
Old 08-02-22, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I think I know how Gene/Saul gets taken down. It's not from a scheme gone wrong and police busting them. Jeff's mom is watching her funny cat videos when she starts looking at other videos. She stumbles upon an old Better Call Saul/Jimmy Mcgill TV commercial some random uploader posted that starts trending. She watches and figures out Gene's real identity and calls the F.BI. turning Saul in.
Old 08-02-22, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I’m guessing Kim somehow had to go to jail to protect Jimmy and that’s why he flipped out.
I don't see what they would have on Kim that would land her in jail. She left Jimmy before he got tied up with Walt.
Unless they finally dug up the lab and found Howard's remains, which connects Jimmy to the cartel during the time he was still with and married to Kim.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.