Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live (AMC) S: Andrew Lincoln, Danai Gurira

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-22, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,661 Likes on 2,629 Posts
The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live (AMC) S: Andrew Lincoln, Danai Gurira

This is a wrap up to the Rick Grimes storyline.

The feature film is officially dead.

Will premiere next year and will be 6 episodes.
Old 07-22-22, 04:55 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
re: The Walking Dead: Rick & Michonne (AMC) S: Andrew Lincoln, Danai Gurira

Wow. Wasn't it going be a trilogy of movies? COVID must have really changed plans and the aging franchise.

I'll be watching.
Old 07-22-22, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Here’s the announcement. Lincoln said it’s airing on AMC plus.

Old 07-22-22, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Wow. Wasn't it going be a trilogy of movies? COVID must have really changed plans and the aging franchise.

I'll be watching.
I was thinking similar. It was going to be a series of movies, but I didn't think they were planned to be theatrical.
Old 07-22-22, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by clckworang
I was thinking similar. It was going to be a series of movies, but I didn't think they were planned to be theatrical.
It was theatrical. Universal was going to release it.
Old 07-22-22, 05:01 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by clckworang
I thought it was Theatrical with Universal being the distributor.

Maybe Universal bailed.
Old 07-22-22, 05:03 PM
Suspended

"Originally, the plan was to wrap up Rick’s story in a standalone film at Universal. Sources say the studio had been talking to Craig Zobel to direct. But Lincoln confirmed today that those plans have been shelved with the network now closing his story in this new series. “I can’t wait to get my cowboy boots back on,” he said."
Old 07-22-22, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Old 07-22-22, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk God

AMC press release

Andrew Lincoln And Danai Gurira To Reunite For A New Series In The Walking Dead Universe In 2023

1 day ago

AMC Networks announced today at San Diego Comic-Con that Andrew Lincoln and Danai Gurira will reunite for a new series in the expanding universe around The Walking Dead. The series will continue the journey and love story of the Rick Grimes and Michonne characters.
Lincoln and Gurira, who have been actively involved in conceiving the creative and the continuation of their characters’ story, made the surprise announcement while appearing onstage as part of the final panel for The Walking Dead at Comic-Con International in San Diego. Scott M. Gimple, Chief Content Officer of The Walking Dead Universe, will serve as showrunner on the series, which will begin with six episodes in 2023. Lincoln and Gurira are both executive producers.
“This is a moment fans of The Walking Dead have been waiting for since Rick disappeared in the helicopter early in season nine, and Michonne journeyed away on a quest to find him the following season,” said Dan McDermott, president of entertainment and AMC Studios for AMC Networks. “What a great surprise for the fans at this final Comic-Con for the series that launched this universe and made television history. We couldn’t be more excited for a truly epic series finale later this year and to see Andy and Danai return in a new series they helped create, one of three new series coming in 2023 that continue the stories of so many iconic and fan-favorite TWD characters.”
“Rick and Michonne are two of my favorite people and Danai and Andy are two of my favorite people,” Gimple said. “Working with all of them continues to be a dream come true. The three of us, along with a terrific team of TWD all stars and incredible new voices, are crafting an insane love epic worth the long, long wait.”
“This has been the most extraordinary journey playing Rick Grimes for the best part of a decade. The friendships I’ve made along the way are deep and lasting, so it’s fitting that I finally get to complete the story with Danai and Scott and the rest of the TWD family. I’m so excited to be returning to the screen as Rick, reuniting with Danai as Michonne, and bringing the fans an epic love story to add to the Walking Dead Universe.”
Said Gurira: “Michonne and this TWD family has meant so much to me, and to continue the journey of these beloved characters, alongside Scott and Andy, both creatively and in front of the camera, and bringing The Walking Dead fans something truly special is just glorious. I can’t wait to pick up the katana again.”
This series presents an epic love story of two characters changed by a changed world. Kept apart by distance. By an unstoppable power. By the ghosts of who they were. Rick and Michonne are thrown into another world, built on a war against the dead... And ultimately, a war against the living. Can they find each other and who they were in a place and situation unlike any they've ever known before? Are they enemies? Lovers? Victims? Victors? Without each other, are they even alive -- or will they find that they, too, are the Walking Dead?
Elsewhere during Friday's Comic-Con panels, AMC released the trailer for the final episodes of The Walking Dead, which will premiere on October 2, as well as the first extended trailer for the new anthology series Tales of the Walking Dead, which will premiere on August 14.
Are you excited for a Rick and Michonne series?
Old 07-23-22, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo

I'll be watching.
They were probably monitoring the Paramount Plus model with the Star Trek franchise and realized they could branch out the Walking Dead series into three separate series plus Fear the Walking Dead and try to spread out the series and episodes so that there can be a new episode of a Walking Dead series nearly every week. That would deter people just subscribing to watch the one main show and then canceling their subscription. Now they will have to stay subscribed on the monthly or annual plan to keep up with the entire franchise unless they will try and binge watch after all the episodes are released.
Old 07-23-22, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,757 Likes on 1,899 Posts

I think that, with this Rick project, the movie never got out of development hell and I wonder if the bean counters thought it would flop at the box office.

TWD, as a franchise, seems to be waning. Its' nowhere near the cultural touchstone it was seven years ago.

I don't know if the Star Trek/Paramount+ model would necessarily work for TWD. Between TWD proper and FTWD and TWD:WB, it's getting really repetitive. There's only so much you can do with zombies.
Old 07-23-22, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I guess Downton Abbey and Bob's Burgers are big enough to get theatrical movies but not Walking Dead.
Old 07-26-22, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
I guess Downton Abbey and Bob's Burgers are big enough to get theatrical movies but not Walking Dead.
Exactly.
Old 07-26-22, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 395 Likes on 283 Posts

I can't imagine this making money in theaters. Maybe a limited run to give fans a chance to see it on the big screen if they did a movie but I felt from the start this was a misfire for a movie. I may watch the limited series as Rick was my favorite character but if this never aired on AMC over cable I would never see it. Not something I would even bother getting a free preview of to watch, let alone subscribe to AMC+

This franchise is already dead, they just don't realize it.
The following users liked this post:
VinVega (07-27-22)
Old 07-26-22, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 196 Likes on 169 Posts

Oh, they know it's dead. It's just that they are hoping to drag the rotting carcass along until they hit that 20-year milestone for this "franchise".
The following users liked this post:
VinVega (07-27-22)
Old 07-26-22, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I can't imagine this making money in theaters. Maybe a limited run to give fans a chance to see it on the big screen if they did a movie but I felt from the start this was a misfire for a movie. I may watch the limited series as Rick was my favorite character but if this never aired on AMC over cable I would never see it. Not something I would even bother getting a free preview of to watch, let alone subscribe to AMC+

This franchise is already dead, they just don't realize it.
I know many in this forum complain ad nauseam that there are too many streaming services and too many streaming exclusive shows. But you know what, that’s the entertainment landscape now for TV. If you don’t feel comfortable paying more money for entertainment than what is in your budget, you can always pretend this show doesn’t exist. They never made it 100% clear that this is an AMC plus exclusive show. Lincoln just said it at SDCC. It could very well air on TV. Rick is a popular character and the main show will be off the air by January.
Old 02-21-23, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Only a year or so until we see Rick and Michonne together again.

Old 02-21-23, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

I’m in for this. The show lost a lot of its energy without Rick & Michonne.
Old 02-21-23, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Damfino
I’m in for this. The show lost a lot of its energy without Rick & Michonne.
To me The Walking Dead didn't really end, since original series, doesn't have a real conclusion and the spin offs tell the stories of the favorite characters.
Old 07-16-23, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk God

So the official title for this appears to be:

The Walking Dead: Rick & Michonne

The AMC poster artwork has been posted up around San Diego for SDCC next week. Unlike what I posted 2 years ago, this will air on AMC and AMC+ like Dead City and Daryl Dixon. It's airing next year and is already in the can. I'm sure a teaser will be released at Comic Con even though no actors or writers will be there.

​​​​dex14 Can you change the thread title?

The Walking Dead: Rick & Michonne (AMC)
Old 07-16-23, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,076 Posts
re: The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live (AMC) S: Andrew Lincoln, Danai Gurira

Brilliant title!
Old 07-21-23, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk God

re: The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live (AMC) S: Andrew Lincoln, Danai Gurira

Okay, that wasn't the official title.

AMC finally released a teaser and title:

The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live

dex14 Can we get another update?
Old 07-21-23, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live (AMC) S: Andrew Lincoln, Danai Gurira

I heard from an insider the real final title will be "The Walking Dead: The Indispensable Adventures of the Immortal Rick and Michonne"
Old 07-21-23, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

The Ones Who Live? Well, it's not like the show is going to be from the view of the dead/walking dead.
Old 10-12-23, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.