Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Icons Unearthed (VICE) - from the creators of The Toys/Movies That Made Us

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-22, 06:59 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
Icons Unearthed (VICE) - from the creators of The Toys/Movies That Made Us

Vice TV will world premiere the Nacelle Company’s new Icons Unearthed series July 12, with the first installment of a 6-hour deep dive into the Star Wars Universe.

In Icons Unearthed: Star Wars Marcia Lucas, Oscar-winning film editor and ex-wife of George Lucas, sits down for her first-ever on-camera interview and provides unique insight into the rise of LucasFilm — including her 14-year marriage to and eventual divorce from George Lucas — the editing of the original Star Wars trilogy, the origin of the idea that Darth Vader would be Luke’s father and if there were really originally plans for nine movies.

Icons Unearthed: Star Wars also includes exclusive interviews with Anthony Daniels, Billy Dee Williams, Paul Hirsch, Phil Tippett, Rick Baker, Ken Ralston, John Dykstra, Howard Kazanjian, Julian Glover, Ian McDiarmid, Gus Lopez, Tom Spina and many more. Icons Unearthed: Star Wars is narrated by Michael Pennington, who portrayed Moff Tiaan Jerjerrod in Return of the Jedi.

The Nacelle Company, which is headed by Brian Volk-Weiss and produced The Movies That Made Us, The Toys That Made Us and Down to Earth with Zac Efron, also produces Icons Unearthed. The new anthology documentary series will focus on some of the biggest movie and TV franchises in history.

“We’re so excited to embark on this partnership with Brian and Nacelle to tell these amazing unfiltered stories as only Vice TV can. And the Star Wars franchise, perhaps the most iconic entertainment property of all-time, is the natural place to start on this epic journey,” said Peter Gaffney, SVP of Content Strategy & Program Scheduling, Vice TV.

Nacelle Company CEO Volk-Weiss was equally excited saying, “Star Wars is the movie that inspired my entire career, so to be hearing new stories from the people who were there…was mind blowing not just once or twice, but again and again. I believe fans of the franchise will be blown away by what we unearthed.”

Directed by Volk-Weiss Icons Unearthed: Star Wars is culled from months of filming and interviewing filmmakers, actors and crew members across the world, from England to Tunisia, to source exclusive, previously unknown and surprising stories.

The Icons Unearthed documentary series is executive produced by Volk-Weiss, Cisco Henson, Ian Roumain, Alyssa Michek and Ben Frost. Pete Gaffney, Falguni Lakhani-Adams and Andrea Brakke oversee the project for Vice TV.

The series will world premiere with the first Star Wars installment on July 12, 2022 at 10 p.m. ET on Vice TV.
https://deadline.com/2022/06/vice-tv...ia-1235038275/
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (07-14-22)
Old 07-11-22, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
re: Icons Unearthed (VICE) - from the creators of The Toys/Movies That Made Us

You can always watch on the website if you don't have the channel on a service.
John Pannozzi (07-14-22)
Old 07-11-22, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. Vice is a channel that's not really on my radar.
Old 07-13-22, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Anyone watch this? Thought it was good - on par with the MTMU episodes on Netflix. Marcia Lucas has a pretty annoying voice.
Old 07-15-22, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
Thanks for the heads up. Vice is a channel that's not really on my radar.

The channel that gave us Dark SIde of the Ring?

I thought this would rehash all the stories we know and maybe some of them are covered but it looks like it will cover all of the Star Wars movies including the prequels and I am in and will watch all the episodes.
John Pannozzi (07-15-22)
Old 08-24-22, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe the prequels would have turned out better if Marcia Lucas was involved and she was the real unsung genius for making the original Star Wars movies becoming the masterpieces they became.

Too bad Leonardo DiCaprio passed on the Anakin role for Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith.

That would have taken those movies to a whole new level.

Then again maybe we would not have seen him in Gangs of New York, Catch Me if You Can, and the Aviator if he took on the Star Wars role.

Old 08-24-22, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

Lucas is a visionary filmmaker but the hubris shooting everything digital for the prequel trilogy was about ten years too early. Lucas simply waited too long after the original trilogy and should have mounted the prequels as a younger man.
John Pannozzi (08-24-22)
Old 08-24-22, 06:57 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Season 2 will be about The Simpsons:
https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/sim...tv-1235322728/
Old 08-24-22, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,746 Likes on 1,891 Posts

This was a pretty good history of Star Wars.

I did get sort of tired of hearing the voice actor portraying Lucas' father shout "Own your own business. Don't work for other people," every ten minutes.

Sure is a lot of bad blood between George and Marcia. Kind of makes me wonder what really went down there.

It also confirmed quite a few things we either suspected or knew about Star Wars, and what went wrong with the prequels. I might drag that over to the actual Star Wars thread instead of discussing it here.
Old 08-24-22, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

It was pretty heartbreaking to hear the story of George and Marcia. It sounds like he neglected her or took her for granted, she cheated and he never forgave her. Certainly explains why he doesn’t want the original cuts of the OT to ever be out there again.

I really wish Leo had done the role of Anakin. I don’t hate Hayden but Leo was already a great actor and he even looked more like Jake Lloyd. Would have made a big difference.
JeffTheAlpaca (09-02-22)
Old 03-07-23, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A new series on Marvel premiered today on Vice.

https://video.vice.com/en_us/video/i...14c041b24f7c81
Old 03-07-23, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Watched the first episode of the Marvel one.

After the excellent Nacelle-produced Icons Unearthed: Star Wars and Center Seat: 55 Years of Star Trek, I was a bit let down by this one. It mostly covered the wilderness years of Marvel during the 1990s when the company was in disarray, and they could only touch on the many things that were wrong with the company there. As such, it felt really scattershot and lacked focus. This stuff has already been covered, and done better, before in other venues.

Hopefully it will get better with the second episode and they start covering the MCU.
Old 03-08-23, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't know there was an Icons Unearthed series focused on The Fast and The Furious films that apparently ran in January.
Old 03-13-23, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
After the excellent Nacelle-produced Icons Unearthed: Star Wars and Center Seat: 55 Years of Star Trek, I was a bit let down by this one. It mostly covered the wilderness years of Marvel during the 1990s when the company was in disarray, and they could only touch on the many things that were wrong with the company there. As such, it felt really scattershot and lacked focus. This stuff has already been covered, and done better, before in other venues.
How the heck did I miss that one?!?!? Watched the first 2 episodes and it's great so far...makes me want to watch the animated series (never watched it)
Old 03-15-23, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The next episode will cover Ed Norton and the Incredible Hulk.

I knew there was tension but will be interesting to get more details.
Old 03-28-23, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if there is or will they ever release a Ed Norton cut of the Incredible Hulk movie?

It seemed most people though the first hour was strong with most of that being Norton's vision and the ending a let down and what Marvel wanted.
Old 03-28-23, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

By the way, "Center Seat" is available in its entirety on Amazon Prime. I saw the first four episodes that were shown on Discovery, but I wasn't going to subscribe to Discovery + to see the other seven episodes. Since I have Prime I've been able to finish the series and enjoyed it a great deal.
Boondock Saint (03-28-23)
Old 11-06-23, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 452 Likes on 310 Posts

FYI, there's a 5th series of this, Icons Unearthed: James Bond, which started airing last month on Vice. This week's episode (Episode 6) covers Daniel Craig, so I guess it's probably the last one?

https://www.vicetv.com/en_us/show/ic...hed-james-bond
Old 11-06-23, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This series has been renewed up to season ten.

They haven't announced what a subjects will be covered by the next five.

Wouldn't mind seeing them do one of these on Doctor Who. Harry Potter might also be a possibility. Babylon 5 might be fun, since we have a ton background info out there already, but it's almost all from the show's creator, but it's probably not well-known enough to warrant a season. Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel? With all of the stuff swirling around about Whedon lately, that one might be too hot from them to handle. The Godfather? The Sopranos? Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul? DC Comics and their films? Or could they pivot away from franchises and cover the films of people like David Lynch, Quentin Tarantino, Martin Scorsese, Francis Ford Coppola, Steven Spielberg, James Cameron, or Tim Burton?
Bill Needle (03-25-24)
Old 03-25-24, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Icons Unearthed (VICE) - from the creators of The Toys/Movies That Made Us

The latest seasons are airing now with LOTR and Batman

I had no idea Sean Young was suppose to play Vicki Vale in Batman 1989.

Old 03-27-24, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Watched the first episodes of both the Batman and Lord of the Rings seasons.

Sort of surprised this popped without any promotion. I had no idea these were on -- and I just googled a few weeks ago to see if they had announced what the new seasons would be about and couldn't find any new information. Also doesn't help that they treat each season like a new series, so you can't just tell your DVR to record Icons Unearthed. Batman was up on DirecTV On-Demand, but LOTR's first episode seems to have been mislabeled as episode three on On-Demand.

It's like they don't want people to watch this...

Too bad, because both episodes were pretty good. Nice mix of new/rarely seen/unseen material mixed with the stuff we already know but presented in an interesting way.
Old 03-27-24, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It would help if they just call it Icons Unearthed and don't add the subject name for that season.

There are so many future subjects they can do for this series
Old 03-28-24, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 452 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Sort of surprised this popped without any promotion. I had no idea these were on -- and I just googled a few weeks ago to see if they had announced what the new seasons would be about and couldn't find any new information. Also doesn't help that they treat each season like a new series, so you can't just tell your DVR to record Icons Unearthed.
Yup, I appreciate the updates to this thread so I know when a new series is on!
Old 03-30-24, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

The stuff with Sean Young on a horse sounds terrible if I'm being honest. The parts so far have also mentioned some stuff i didn't know at all like the on-set romances, producer Jon Peters dating Michelle Pfeiffer.
Old 03-30-24, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The stuff with Sean Young on a horse sounds terrible if I'm being honest.
The conspiracy-minded part of me wonders if the horse accident wasn't set-up so they could get rid of her.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.