Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Bear (Hulu) - S: Jeremy Allen White, Ayo Edebiri, Ebon Moss-Bachrach, Abby Elliott

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Bear (Hulu) - S: Jeremy Allen White, Ayo Edebiri, Ebon Moss-Bachrach, Abby Elliott

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-22, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
re: The Bear (Hulu) - S: Jeremy Allen White, Ayo Edebiri, Ebon Moss-Bachrach, Abby Elliott

Sorry for the bump but noticed this story going round.

Demand for Italian Beef Is Booming. Thank ‘The Bear.’

Last month, Dan Michaels, an owner of Gino’s East of Chicago in Los Angeles, watched as orders for Italian beef – the classic Chicago sandwich of thinly sliced roast beef and tangy giardiniera piled on a roll – suddenly soared to 300 a day, from 150 a day in June.

Jarret Kerr, an owner of Dog Day Afternoon, a Chicago Italian beef and hot dog restaurant in Brooklyn, said he had seen at least a 50% increase in orders of hot Italian beef sandwiches – at $15, the most expensive item on the menu – since the show debuted. The cramped shop used to sell up to a dozen a day; the staff is now slinging 30 or more a day and selling out daily.
Old 09-06-22, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
re: The Bear (Hulu) - S: Jeremy Allen White, Ayo Edebiri, Ebon Moss-Bachrach, Abby Elliott

That is cool to hear and now I will need to see this.
Old 09-06-22, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
That is cool to hear and now I will need to see this.

It’s very good. It moves so fast it almost feels like they had 40 minutes of story packed into a 30-minute show.

BUT it will have a second season, so you may not want to watch it.
Old 09-07-22, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

IF I know ahead of time I don't get frustrated with them having one when I expect it to be wrapped up. Knowing going in really helps with all the content out there.
Old 11-22-22, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Wasn't interested at all and completely missed the information.

Took two nights to binge this.

Watched with the fam, the wife wanted to quit like 20 minutes in, the kids and I were intrigued by the pace and "randomness" of the pilot.

We all got into it, found a lot of the little hints along the way. Loved the change of pace in the middle three eps. Then BAM, EPISODE 7.

And certainly one to watch again to find all of the nuances.

Now just finished the thread, and thanks. We also wanted to know wtf the ending meant.

And yah, I want me a sammich.
Old 12-06-22, 07:39 PM

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm up to episode 6 and enjoying the show although I don't know why it's in top 10 lists. It's a sandwich shop, why isn't it open 11AM to 2PM. It's great that the pastry chef is making delicious cakes but I've never gotten dessert from a sandwich shop. The so-called amazing sandwich is only seen in passing. And then it looked awful only filling half the bun.
Old 12-06-22, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by DeFan
I'm up to episode 6 and enjoying the show although I don't know why it's in top 10 lists. It's a sandwich shop, why isn't it open 11AM to 2PM. It's great that the pastry chef is making delicious cakes but I've never gotten dessert from a sandwich shop. The so-called amazing sandwich is only seen in passing. And then it looked awful only filling half the bun.
What I didn't quite get was why there was so high a standard in their cooking and the incredible amount of pressure they put on themselves. This is something I would expect from a high end restaurant with wealthy customers with discerning taste, etc.... but they're doing all this for a sandwich shop that caters to what seems like average joe-shmoe customers.
Old 12-07-22, 03:25 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 918 Likes on 775 Posts

^ well, the lead used to work at the high end places and probably took his system to the sandwich shop. He had very high standards at the high end places, why not his deceased brother’s sandwich shop?
Old 12-10-22, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,206 Likes on 4,233 Posts

From The Ringer’s article on The Best Performances of 2022 :

Ayo Edebiri as Sydney Adamu in The Bear

Seemingly out of nowhere, The Bear practically smashed through our TV screens this summer. The show’s frenetic energy mirrored that of its lead character, Carmy (Jeremy Allen White), who earned much of the initial attention as the series’ resident chef de bad boy. But in the end, as viewers would come to realize, it was Sydney, played expertly by Ayo Edebiri, who grounded the series, serving as an understated foil to Carmy’s masculine bravado. Sydney and Carmy are two sides of the same coin: Both are highly intelligent, ambitious, and passionate about their work. But only Sydney has to contend with the verbal abuse dished out by restaurant manager Richie (Ebon Moss-Bachrach), line cook Tina (Liza Colón-Zayas), and Carmy himself. Edebiri effectively channels the complicated struggle of working for someone you admire but also kind of hate. It’s a special, if confusing, dynamic that takes real skill to sell on the screen. Sydney’s arc throughout The Bear was a real thrill to watch, and after the satisfying conclusion of the first season, we all can’t wait to see how she takes the new namesake restaurant to the next level. —Aric Jenkins
The following users liked this post:
B.A. (01-24-23)
Old 12-10-22, 01:52 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

I watched all eight episodes... twice... in the last week. First by myself, then again with my wife. We both really enjoyed it a lot. Damn near perfect, IMO. I'm really looking forward to seeing what they do with season 2.
Spoiler:
The money's in the banana stand tomato can
Old 01-12-23, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

I am only on episode 3, so I am not going to review the thread in case of spoilers, but already I am pissed off at the way the show depicts restaurant management. Maybe things have changed now that we live in a world where people refuse to take service industry jobs, but how does Carmy (and I hate that, just call him by his fucking name) expect to change the way the business runs if he has employees who refuse the slightest changes.

There's this new thing called firing old people and hiring new people. Presumably, if he is a big enough deal in the food world, there would be people in Chicago that would want the opportunity to work with/for him, and do things his way. And it's not like the veteran employees are so good at their jobs anyways. Isn't Carmy complaining that the food they have been serving sucks?

Shut down. Clean house. Start up again.

not a spoiler
Spoiler:
it's a TV show, it's a TV show, it's a TV show, it's a TV show,
Old 01-12-23, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Season 2 airs early this summer, it will be ten episodes. https://deadline.com/2023/01/the-bea...es-1235220620/
The following 2 users liked this post by RichC2:
B.A. (01-24-23), OldBoy (01-12-23)
Old 01-24-23, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

We finished it this evening after starting it a few days ago.

Might be my favorite series over the past year or so
Decker (01-24-23)
Old 01-24-23, 10:16 PM

Yup one of the few TV shows that's lauded by critics and still lives up to all of the hype.
B.A. (01-24-23)
Old 03-13-23, 09:20 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Old 03-13-23, 02:30 PM

For a great show that’s not terribly appealing upon first glance, what a horrible teaser for Season 2.

Old 03-13-23, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
For a great show that’s not terribly appealing upon first glance, what a horrible teaser for Season 2.
They haven't even been filming for a month yet. It was just Disney using the Oscars as a platform to advertise that it's coming.
Old 04-26-23, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Woah. Awesome.

Former “Better Call Saul” star Bob Odenkirk has joined the cast of the second season of FX’s hit dramedy series “The Bear”. Character specifics are under wraps, but the actor is said to be appearing in a guest role. The second season will premiere on the network in June. [Source: Variety
Old 04-26-23, 07:53 PM

Holy shit that's huge.
Old 05-08-23, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

All s2 episodes will be available June 22nd, know what I'll be doing that evening: https://deadline.com/2023/05/the-bea...lu-1235359053/
Old 05-08-23, 12:47 PM

Seems like a weird choice to drop all episodes at once. They could own the conversation (or "Hold the Belt" as the podcasters on The Watch like today) all Summer if they drop new episodes weekly for 2 months. Don't know why they wouldn't want to dole them out a little more slowly like HBO does with great success.

Edit : Are we sure that's what they're saying? That they're all available 6/22? It's not entirely clear to me. It could be all episodes steaming on Hulu.
Old 05-08-23, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

All 10 episodes of the hit dark comedy will be available for streaming exclusively on Hulu.
Yeah, there's nothing here that says all 10 episodes will be available in one shot. Just that all 10 episodes will be streamed exclusively to Hulu... however they dish them out (pardon the pun).
Old 05-08-23, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's all 10 at once: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2.../20230508fx01/
Old 05-08-23, 01:05 PM

The first season was all at once too. I think it played better being able to watch it all at once and not weekly. But I agree, for the hit that the show became, it's surprising they aren't stretching it out.
Old 05-09-23, 03:37 AM

They definitely NEED to air them all at once. This just ain’t that show to keep people coming back over and over.

it is a great show, though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.