Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Pachinko (Apple TV +)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-22, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Pachinko (Apple TV +)

Based on the New York Times bestseller, Pachinko is a sweeping saga that chronicles the hopes and dreams of a Korean immigrant family across four generations. Starring Academy Award-winner Yuh-Jung Youn, Lee Minho, Jin Ha, and Minha Kim, Pachinko now streaming, only on Apple TV+ https://apple.co/_Pachinko

The series stars Soji Arai as Mozasu, Jin Ha as Solomon, Inji Jeong as Yangjin, Minha Kim as teenage Sunja, Lee Minho as Hansu, Kaho Minami as Etsuko, Steve Sanghyun Noh as Isak, Anna Sawai as Naomi, Junwoo Han as Yoseb, Jung Eun-chae as Young Kyunghee, Jimmi Simpson as Tom Andrews, Yu-na Jeon as young Sunja, and Academy Award-winning actress Yuh-Jung Youn as older Sunja. Pachinko is written and executive produced by Soo Hugh (“The Terror,” “The Killing”), who created the series and serves as showrunner. Kogonada and Justin Chon are executive producers and directed four episodes each, with Kogonada directing the pilot. Michael Ellenberg and Lindsey Springer executive produce for Media Res; Theresa Kang-Lowe executive produces for Blue Marble Pictures; and Richard Middleton also executive produces. Media Res’ Dani Gorin co-executive produces along with David Kim and Sebastian Lee.

Has anyone here heard of or had time to check out this new series Pachinko on Apple TV+? The first season just finished airing and it's gotten fantastic reviews

The 1st season is at 98% on RT and a 95% audience score

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/pachinko/s01

The 1st season is only 8 episodes and was already picked up for a 2nd season. The cast is mostly Korean actors. The show is in Korean, English, and Japanese.

I've been meaning to check it out. But wanted to see if anyone here had to the time to do so or already watched the season.
Old 05-09-22, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: Pachinko (Apple TV +)

When I first watched this drama it was not on Apple TV+. I enjoyed the drama very much. I believe there have been other Korean dramas that have aired on Apple TV+. But some from what I have been told only aired in Asia countries. I actually downloaded each episode and also the English Subs. There were 2 different types of English subtitles. One was for the hearing impaired. I recently signed up for 3 months free on Apple TV +. I notice subs are in different colors. I believe blue color is when Japanese language is being spoken. Orange is when Korean is being spoken. And white is when English is being spoken. The subs I downloaded for episode where all white.
Old 05-09-22, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Pachinko (Apple TV +)

They only have two K-Dramas at the moment - both Dr. Brain and Pachinko debuted globally on Apple TV+.

The subtitles are similar to what The Handmaiden did with different colors for Korean and Japanese, I find it pretty helpful.