Reload this Page >

Most Frustrating Shows

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Most Frustrating Shows

Old 01-09-22, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 694 Likes on 569 Posts
Most Frustrating Shows

So with Dexter: New Blood wrapping up I was thinking about this. I loved Dexter for much of its original run. I defended it for a long time and was a fanboy for it until the abysmal eighth season.

Looking back on it the show really went downhill after the fourth season. I think the fifth had some moments still, but it was definitely rocky from season five onwards.

Dexter: New Blood I would say was also a very mixed bag. Itís like the creators wanted to apologize and do better, but it still wasnít very great.

Itís frustrating because I like the show and itís characters. I think Michael C. Hall is amazing as Dexter and at itís high points it may have been one of my favorite shows. Those low points though just drag it down so much.
Old 01-09-22, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 515 Likes on 388 Posts
Re: Most Frustrating Shows

I feel like The Simpsons should have ended 3 or 4 seasons ago.
Old 01-09-22, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 129 Likes on 106 Posts

There are more than a few Showtime shows that fall into this category simply because they carried for several seasons after they should have wrapped up. You still mostly watch because you liked the characters, but you wish it wouldn't have stuck around so long.

Mostly in order to frustrate you, you probably had to have liked a show. Game of Thrones would qualify. Lost would qualify. It closed strong, but the West Wing had some frustrating seasons. I liked the final episode, but the Office should have ended with Michael leaving. And maybe a year or two before that too.
Old 01-09-22, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,508 Likes on 983 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis View Post
There are more than a few Showtime shows that fall into this categoryÖ
Homeland FTW!
The following users liked this post:
cultshock (01-11-22)
Old 01-09-22, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 329 Likes on 232 Posts

All Showtime shows.

What did I win?
Old 01-09-22, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 694 Likes on 569 Posts

Itís funny actually but I have noticed a lot of Showtime originals donít end on the highest of notes. Wonder why that is in comparison to a lot of other cable networks.
Old 01-09-22, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 329 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Itís funny actually but I have noticed a lot of Showtime originals donít end on the highest of notes. Wonder why that is in comparison to a lot of other cable networks.
I think the main problem is that they drag their shows on for too long which makes the writing get worse and when they finally decide to end it - they kind of paint themselves into a corner and can't do anything good with the finale.
Old 01-09-22, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 163 Likes on 128 Posts

Blacklist - the show that wonít die
Old 01-09-22, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Lost
JoeySeven (01-11-22)
Old 01-09-22, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 118 Likes on 105 Posts

Shows which were canceled with a cliffhanger, such as Dark Matter.
Old 01-10-22, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,028 Likes on 796 Posts

Does it have to be a show which was great but the quality dipped, or can it be a show where the premise/source material is beloved but the translation to show is anything but?

If it's the latter, I'll put something like DC/HBO's Titans up there. Love the original Wolfman/Perez comics, even love the costumes (except Starfire season 1) but man the plotting really really brings it down.

Same with something like Foundation, which does an interesting thing: everything adapted from the novels is basically trash, everything they made up original to the show is great. Which is why this show would probably be much better if it had nothing to do with the Foundation premise because they certainly have something there.
Old 01-10-22, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 872 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
I feel like The Simpsons should have ended 3 or 4 seasons ago.
We started watching some of the most recent seasons after years of not bothering and it's been some very funny stuff.

For me: Star Trek Discovery and Picard. Both cool concepts with occasional neat moments, but really suffer from a lack of creative vision (the writers for Picard admitted they didn't know where they were going when they started filming the first season).
story (01-10-22)
Old 01-10-22, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Manifest is a recent offender.

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Star Trek Discovery
I was going to say this one as well, but I didn't want someone to accuse me of racism.
Old 01-10-22, 10:15 AM

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,773 Posts

Sons of Anarchy
Nesbit (01-14-22)
Old 01-10-22, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by printerati View Post

I was going to say this one as well, but I didn't want someone to accuse me of racism.
re: Discovery

Yeah, it's hard to point out the actual flaws of Discovery (and The Last Jedi) without getting lumped in with the racists who don't like Sonequa Martin-Green or Kelly Marie-Tran. I have nothing against those two, I have plenty of issues with their characters.
John Pannozzi (01-10-22)
Old 01-10-22, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Discovery has become an abomination. It has become background noise while I fold laundry. It's terrible, directionless, rudderless, and pointless.

I am more hopeful for Picard given who the season's supposed Big Bad is going to be.
Shannon Nutt (01-10-22)
Old 01-10-22, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 142 Likes on 122 Posts

A couple of fairly recent (past 2-3 years) Netflix shows were frustrating to watch and it was not the fault of the shows, rather in how they were handled by Netflix. Teenage Bounty Hunters seemed ripe for another season and yet it becomes a one and done, and Daybreak was also cut off at the knees and canceled. Two interesting shows that were not simply retreads of similar shows that had come before them, and should have had a chance to thrive on streaming with a second season.
Old 01-10-22, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 134 Posts

Billions is probably heading into this phase as we speak.
Rob V (01-14-22)
Old 01-11-22, 07:23 AM

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Homeland FTW!
I really liked Homeland and after they left Brody behind them, the show delivered each year. So the only bad season is season 3, at least in my opinion.
Old 01-11-22, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post

I am more hopeful for Picard given who the season's supposed Big Bad is going to be.
If we're talking about the same character, then I hope
Spoiler:
that he's not the Big "Bad", and instead wants to be Picard's "friend" after all this time.

Old 01-11-22, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 450 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Sons of Anarchy
While it never got better than Season 2, I think it held up pretty well. Except for the roughly 8,000 episodes spent in Northern Ireland.
Old 01-11-22, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 450 Likes on 272 Posts

Once the streaming/cable channels realized that 10-13 episodes was the perfect amount for a season, and that they didn't have to fill another 10-13 episodes with filler to reach that magical 100-episode-yay-syndication watermark, TV got so much better.

Case in point? Smallville. So much noise, the signal got entirely degraded. Every season.
GoldenJCJ (01-12-22)
Old 01-11-22, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Once the streaming/cable channels realized that 10-13 episodes was the perfect amount for a season, and that they didn't have to fill another 10-13 episodes with filler to reach that magical 100-episode-yay-syndication watermark, TV got so much better.

Case in point? Smallville. So much noise, the signal got entirely degraded. Every season.

I used to feel the same until we got Discovery and itís all plot in every episode with barely room for anything else. We still barely know the rest of the crew and they keep introducing new people like Book.
Thereís something to be said about the TNG/DS9/VOY era where you had the occasional episode to just explore some weird idea. Like when Michael McKean was a demented clown.
The following 2 users liked this post by milo bloom:
John Pannozzi (01-12-22), story (01-15-22)
Old 01-12-22, 01:21 AM

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
I used to feel the same until we got Discovery and itís all plot in every episode with barely room for anything else. We still barely know the rest of the crew and they keep introducing new people like Book.
Thereís something to be said about the TNG/DS9/VOY era where you had the occasional episode to just explore some weird idea. Like when Michael McKean was a demented clown.
Discovery is just a not good, but not because of the serialization of the story. ENT wasn't very good either but when they made the show into "24 in space" it worked.
Old 01-12-22, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 496 Likes on 305 Posts

+1 on ST: Discovery. I liked the first two seasons, but in season 3 it went downhill fast and S4 is even worse so far.

Most* of the DC shows on The CW had a few good seasons and then declined precipitously.
Arrow - was great at first, but after they got Oliver and Felicity together and then split them up and turned her into a joyless character the show never really recovered.
Supergirl - some fun villains and plotlines in the beginning and Benoist was very charming as Kara, but the writing became godawful in later seasons.
The Flash - some fun villains and plotlines in the beginning and Gustin was very charming as Barry, but the writing became godawful in later seasons.
DC's Legends of Tomorrow - this show has always been kind of a mess, but it was often entertaining. The later seasons though just feel like someone threw some scripts into a shredder and then randomly taped the pieces back together.
*I never watched Black Lightning, and I quit Batwoman in season 1. Superman and Lois is good so far.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.