Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Naomi (CW) -- Based on the DC Comic -- From EP Ava DuVernay -- Premieres 1/11/22

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Naomi (CW) -- Based on the DC Comic -- From EP Ava DuVernay -- Premieres 1/11/22

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-21, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,681 Likes on 2,648 Posts

https://comicbook.com/dc/news/naomi-...-universe-tie/

From Oscar® nominee/Emmy® winner Ava DuVernay and Jill Blankenship (Arrow), and starring Kaci Walfall (Army Wives, Power, The Lion King on Broadway) in the title role, the DC drama Naomi follows the journey of a cool, confident, comic book-loving teenager as she pursues her hidden destiny. When a supernatural event shakes her hometown of Port Oswego to the core, Naomi sets out to uncover its origins, with a little help from her fiercely loyal best friend Annabelle (Mary-Charles Jones, Kevin Can Wait). She also has the support of her adoptive, doting parents, veteran military officer Greg (Barry Watson, "7th Heaven," "The Loudest Voice") and linguistics teacher Jennifer (Mouzam Makkar, The Fix).

Last edited by DJariya; 12-15-21 at 03:01 AM.
Old 12-14-21, 12:44 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: Naomi (CW) -- Based on the DC Comic -- From EP Ava DuVernay -- Premieres 1/11/22

Eh.

Way to keep screwing up a cohesive DCU. I can’t do CW DC anymore. Stargirl is pretty much it for me, not even sure if I will go back to Superman & Lois.

I know I’m not their target demographic but is this really the best they can do?
Old 12-14-21, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Naomi (CW) -- Based on the DC Comic -- From EP Ava DuVernay -- Premieres 1/11/22

I read the comic but it didn't have a complete story. I'm not sure it will work if they follow the comic, The comic is just by the numbers. Alien kid gets stranded on Earth and discovers her powers. There was nothing new or interesting in the comic. Her being black is new but it wasn't used at all. Her parents were white and I don't think her being black was ever brought up. I'll check the show out but don't have high hopes.
Old 12-15-21, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 823 Likes on 695 Posts

Probably should start another thread for this but the CW is planning on a Gotham Knights series set after Batman's death with a bunch of Robins and random Gotham vigilantes. Another Berlanti production set in the Arrowverse.

The CW seems quite aware their Arrowverse shows have faded in popularity.
Old 01-11-22, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,681 Likes on 2,648 Posts

This premieres tonight.

This is an IP that I am not familiar with. But, it does have a good creative team behind it, so I will check it out.
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (01-11-22)
Old 01-11-22, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,539 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Probably should start another thread for this but the CW is planning on a Gotham Knights series set after Batman's death with a bunch of Robins and random Gotham vigilantes. Another Berlanti production set in the Arrowverse.

The CW seems quite aware their Arrowverse shows have faded in popularity.
They really can't just do Batman, or Nightwing (unless Nightwing is in this one) on network TV? They have pre Batman Gotham and then this, like c'mon man, people aren't going to get confused, you had two Flashes at the same time and Superman can get a bunch of shows.

The only thing I remember about Naomi is that she was Bendis's pet project, showed up out of nowhere in Action comics as I was reading through it, and then went away.
whotony (01-13-22)
Old 01-11-22, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
The only thing I remember about Naomi is that she was Bendis's pet project, showed up out of nowhere in Action comics as I was reading through it, and then went away.
And she's currently in Bendis's Justice League.
Old 01-12-22, 10:29 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I think the show has potential but the pilot episode was very mediocre. There's too many things that are just stupid and don't make sense. Why would a crime/disaster scene be open to anyone in the public to come in and snoop around instead of being yellow taped all around? Same with the military message that Superman was seen in the forest. Why wouldn't there be military vehicles blocking anyone from going in? Also, why do they needed to introduce everyone in the first show instead of slowly do character development? It feels that they just went with the pilot that was shown to executives to approve the show instead of recutting it to have a better narrative.

Also, I'm confused. Some of the dialogue makes it seem like superheroes aren't real in this world and that the whole Superman thing was a "stunt". Then there's other scenes that have dialogue in which is common knowledge that Superman is real and that superhero shit happens.

Like I said, I really want the show to succeed, specially when there are so many racist, chauvinistic, neckbeard assholes already review bombing the show before it came out, but they need to fix this quick or it won't last past the first season.
Old 01-12-22, 11:22 AM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

also, i'm confused. Some of the dialogue makes it seem like superheroes aren't real in this world and that the whole superman thing was a "stunt". Then there's other scenes that have dialogue in which is common knowledge that superman is real and that superhero shit happens.
ditto
Old 01-12-22, 11:29 AM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

ok, this from IGN review clears it up I think:

"In the DC Comics series Naomi by Brian Michael Bendis, David F. Walker, and Jamal Campbell, the titular teenager begins investigating past superhero activity in her small Oregon hometown after its downtown is torn up by a fight between Superman and the alien supervillain Mongol. A Superman sighting also triggers Naomi’s search for answers in The CW’s Naomi, but it’s a lot more surprising in the show’s world, where Superman is just a famous comic book character and superheroes aren’t real."

Old 01-12-22, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 281 Likes on 233 Posts

Recorded and plan to watch probably this evening, but this show sounds quite odd based on Red Hood's synopsis.
Old 01-12-22, 12:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blairwitchfan
ok, this from IGN review clears it up I think:

"In the DC Comics series Naomi by Brian Michael Bendis, David F. Walker, and Jamal Campbell, the titular teenager begins investigating past superhero activity in her small Oregon hometown after its downtown is torn up by a fight between Superman and the alien supervillain Mongol. A Superman sighting also triggers Naomi’s search for answers in The CW’s Naomi, but it’s a lot more surprising in the show’s world, where Superman is just a famous comic book character and superheroes aren’t real."
But that doesn't make sense with some of the dialogue and scenes from the show. The part where the military is secretly talking about Superman and passing the note from one to the other clearly shows that Superman is real. Same thing with the newspaper in the Auto shop showing that there was an extraterrestrial arrival the same day of Naomi's adoption. And people's reaction to seeing Superman is more of "wow, he came to this town" (like in the comic books) instead of "wow, what the hell was that?"

By the way, another complain is that the show looks to much like a TV show. By this I mean, that the whole town looks like a movie set in a warehouse, instead of a real town, with some dirt and potholes and uneven pavement.

The more I think about the show the less I like it but it's because the logic behind a lot of things seems so stupid, even worse than in Batwoman.
Old 01-12-22, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,842 Likes on 1,141 Posts

I think the "Supers aren't real" thing makes sense. I saw a Batman Bio once that said most of Gotham still thinks he's a Myth, and the ones who claim they saw him are often not believed or even ridiculed..

In Black Lightning they had an Outsiders comic book. Clearly it was played like the Outsider were fictional, but Black Lightning is obviously real.
Old 01-12-22, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,539 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I think the "Supers aren't real" thing makes sense. I saw a Batman Bio once that said most of Gotham still thinks he's a Myth, and the ones who claim they saw him are often not believed or even ridiculed..

In Black Lightning they had an Outsiders comic book. Clearly it was played like the Outsider were fictional, but Black Lightning is obviously real.
That was a specific phase in, I want to say the 90's, that played up that Batman was an urban legend that people didn't think were real. They had to really stretch because while it can make some sense in Batman-centric books, it makes no sense considering he's part of the Justice League and a few other very public teams, and he has fifty ex-sidekicks patrolling Gotham. But you still see it in BvS, where despite Batman putting a ton of criminals in jail and the Joker having run rampant in Gotham, people treat him like he's a myth.

I am not sure how you do the same with Superman, unless people think it's a publicity stunt or something.
Old 01-12-22, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I get that. As matter of fact that bio addressed the percentage of crimes Batman deals with in Gotham in relation to GCPD. Either way, it's a tough thing dealing with Supers and the public in a comics especially when you're dealing with City Wide or even World Wide events where heroes appear. Someone is gonna see some Costumed Heroes or Villains. But then again, think about how in real life there are things going on that get dealt with by our Government that we don't have knowledge of. We don't see the men and women who dealt with it....

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-13-22 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-12-22, 06:23 PM
Banned

One positive thing I can say is that Naomi was perfectly cast. The actress has a great charisma and accentuates the quirks of her character incredibly
Old 01-13-22, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Dee is perfectly cast as well. I totally buy that he is a Thanagarian/Hawkman. The actor has vibe and a look about him that works for this role.
Old 01-13-22, 01:54 PM

Watched yesterday and agree that Naomi was great; I still feel it is a bit confusing to figure out what is going on in the pilot episode, but I enjoyed the pilot and look forward to watching.
Old 01-13-22, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
Watched yesterday and agree that Naomi was great; I still feel it is a bit confusing to figure out what is going on in the pilot episode, but I enjoyed the pilot and look forward to watching.
What was confusing? Maybe we can help.

Old 01-13-22, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I will say this, i'm seeing lots of DC fans confused about the Multiverse/Mutli Earths stuff in the DC groups i'm in. No wonder Warner is sketchy about letting Batman be on TV and in films at the same time. It's like, are you all new to DC? Did you learn Multiverse stuff from the recent Spider-man movie?

To be fair, the CW trying to explain why Stargirl can't team up with Supergirl or why Superman in Naomi isn't the same Superman from Superman and Lois due to different earths is probably fuckin' with their heads. But IMHO, any long time Multiverse fans should have no problem getting all this Multi-earth stuff...

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-14-22 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-13-22, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 823 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
One positive thing I can say is that Naomi was perfectly cast. The actress has a great charisma and accentuates the quirks of her character incredibly
Agreed, she's the best thing about this show. Like others mentioned, that pilot had some confused plotting and writing. It's like some scenes were written thinking Superman is real and shows up in their world, while others treated him like a purely fictional character from comic books. I knew spoilers for the pilot and was still confused, so I have no idea how ordinary viewers took it.

Off the top of my head, Naomi felt like the CW smashing together Legacies (superpowered teen girl as star surrounded by a quirky cast of supporting players) with Superman & Lois or The Flash.
Old 01-20-22, 12:57 PM

Enjoyed the second episode, and nice to hear Thanagar name dropped on the show. Still not sure what is going on and still clueless on Naomi's backstory/origin, but the actress does a great job with what she is given to work with so far on the show; and I like some other members of the cast so I think this will indeed be a show I watch every week and not let pile up on my dvr.

ETA: I missed that Giantrobo asked me a question, and I guess "confusing" is not the right word, but so far the show just drops stuff like saying I'm from Thanagar and we are just left to ponder the significance of someone being on earth all this time who has metallic wings. We are certainly not being spoon-fed info and that is fine to point, but eventually folks are going to demand to know more or just start drifting away from the show.

You could also say, for Pete's sake inhumans99, we are only on the 2nd episode so there is plenty of time for more info to come out and to that I say fair enough! Again, I really think this show is well-cast and that buys it a lot of goodwill from me.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 01-20-22 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-21-22, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I hear you Inhumans99 . They are definitely setting us up for things in a measured way and letting us get to everyone first.. I read the 6 issues series introducing Naomi a year or 2 ago so while i'm sure some things will change for the show, I'm familiar with the Naomi characters and her story.
Old 01-27-22, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Nice seeing Adam Blake aka Captain Comet in the last episode.

Giantrobo (01-27-22)
Old 01-27-22, 10:50 AM

Now that is what I am talking about, I love how the parents are way ahead of Naomi when it comes to discussing her secret. I am not a DC nerd, but I take it that those scenes with the woman standing in front of what looks like a space craft repurposed to look like a sculpture to most folks not in the know means she is from space (this shows version of Hawkgirl, since we have already seen a version of Hawkman on this show?). I missed the Captain Comet appearance, was that the dude who says he seems to have not done a good enough job hiding from the military when they raid his warehouse?

This show continues to be enjoyable to watch.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.