Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window (Netflix) -- Kristen Bell - 1/28/22

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window (Netflix) -- Kristen Bell - 1/28/22

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-21, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

For heartbroken Anna (Kristen Bell), every day is the same. She sits with her wine, staring out the window, watching life go by without her. But when a handsome neighbor (Tom Riley) and his adorable daughter move in across the street, Anna starts to see a light at the end of the tunnel. That is until she witnesses a gruesome murder... Or did she? The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window premieres January 28, only on Netflix.

This is another Netflix limited series

Apparently this has an 8 episode order.
Old 12-08-21, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window (Netflix) -- Kristen Bell - 1/28

Feels like the title needs a “Gone Girl on a Train” in there too.

Love Kristen Bell and those types of female-driven novel-turned-movie mysteries seem ripe for parody. Don’t know about it being an 8 episode series and not a one-off movie.
Old 12-08-21, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window (Netflix) -- Kristen Bell - 1/28

It's like one of those spoof films like Don't be a Menace to South Central while Drinking your Juice in the Hood.
The following users liked this post:
Rob V (01-05-22)
Old 12-08-21, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

I'll watch Kristen Bell in anything . . . that doesn't involve defecation in a cup.
Old 12-08-21, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

^ Don’t limit yourself, bro.

The title is a straight-up goofy parody but, with the exception of that lighter moment at the very end, the trailer makes it look like a serious thriller.
Old 12-08-21, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Yeah, I don't get it. The title comes across as a parody, but the trailer was serious. And if that's the case, this would appear to be just a straight out retread of a few movies that offers little to nothing new.
Old 12-09-21, 06:37 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Bell means I am in 100%.

It’s seems to me it is just a teaser trailer cut to look like the films it is parodying. I think the title is pretty obvious to say this is parody. The writers of this have worked on Robot Chicken and created the Mike Tyson Mysteries… so safe to assume it will be a comedy.

Articles say it is described as “a darkly comedic, wine-soaked, satirical slant on the psychological thriller that will have you guessing who, what, where, why and how in the hell?! until the very end.”
Old 01-04-22, 09:51 PM

Old 01-04-22, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

I can't remember the stars or the name but this was already made into a movie.... (which I loved so I'll watch this).

Edit it's called The Woman in the Window and came out early 2021 with Amy Adams and Julianne Moore.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 01-04-22 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-05-22, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I'm in.

Funny thing is I just saw Rear Window again and while I get it being parodied in general, Rear Window is just such an incredibly effective engaging movie that holds up amazingly well.
Old 01-05-22, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
I can't remember the stars or the name but this was already made into a movie.... (which I loved so I'll watch this).

Edit it's called The Woman in the Window and came out early 2021 with Amy Adams and Julianne Moore.
The title is a play on that. It is a parody. Not the same. That movie was terrible.
Old 01-07-22, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Oh okay sure I’ll check this out.
Old 01-07-22, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah, The Woman in the Window had a similarly heavily medicated lead. Netflix bought that dud after a few years on the shelf and it is ripe for spoofing, as are all these Post-Gone Girl adaptations.

Old 01-07-22, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Haters, all of you, I loved that movie I think it was a chick flick that's why it was not everyone's cup of tea here.
Old 01-28-22, 12:30 PM

This just doesn’t work at all.
Old 01-28-22, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It reminds me of that Lifetime movie Will Ferrell and Kristen Wiig did.
Old 01-30-22, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

7 mediocre episodes with no originality or mystery. Then the last episode was so ludicrous it was all worth it
Old 01-30-22, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I am on Episode 2 but I am going to put this here and come back to it
Spoiler:
Anna is in a mental institution and she just has a single window out of her room. The people in her life are her doctors and nurses, the mailbox guy is the maintenance guy, etc...Seems they are being super sloppy with the clues like the epitaphs changing. The killer is a new patient across the hall, and the daughter comes and visits him. Still it is well done so far.

Old 01-30-22, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Gunde
7 mediocre episodes with no originality or mystery. Then the last episode was so ludicrous it was all worth it
If only the rest of the series was absurd as the finale. I did think the finale was “good”, but the rest just did not work and couldn’t convey the satirical tone they were going for well enough.
Old 01-30-22, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah episode 8 is the only one that even remotely lived up to the premise.
Old 01-31-22, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

I'm really baffled by this show and what it wants to be. I'm sure I'm not the only one that noticed the tombstone had a different epitaph every time she went there. The simple mailbox is never fixed and where the hell does an unemployed artist get all her money for a nice house, wine etc. There is so much that does not make any sense and so much absurdist material I hardly know where to begin. Then to end how it did? How the hell is this the number one show on Netflix?

No way in hell I get sucked into the inevitable season 2. It was mildly entertaining but there is no payoff in the end and its really not rewatchable or even worth watching given the ending. If you can avoid this one please do yourself a favor. I give it a solid D, I was waffling between D- and D+ but based on the ending I say D.
Old 01-31-22, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I'm really baffled by this show and what it wants to be. I'm sure I'm not the only one that noticed the tombstone had a different epitaph every time she went there. The simple mailbox is never fixed and where the hell does an unemployed artist get all her money for a nice house, wine etc. There is so much that does not make any sense and so much absurdist material I hardly know where to begin. Then to end how it did? How the hell is this the number one show on Netflix?

No way in hell I get sucked into the inevitable season 2. It was mildly entertaining but there is no payoff in the end and its really not rewatchable or even worth watching given the ending. If you can avoid this one please do yourself a favor. I give it a solid D, I was waffling between D- and D+ but based on the ending I say D.
You know this was a joke show, right? The joke was the mailbox never got fixed.

My girlfriend and I enjoyed it. It was hilarious I did guess the who the killer would be from the first or second episode because I thought it would be the most ridiculous way to end it. I really enjoyed the absurd nature of it all.
Old 01-31-22, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah the whole show is a spoof of "house wife sees a murder" genre, albeit the tone seems a little off for that - they went with the tone of an actual one with extreme exaggeration. The Netflix keywords were right at least: "Deadpan, Absurd, Offbeat"

I think they wanted to do a Shaun of the Dead / Hot Fuzz where the movies are also good versions of what they're making fun of (Only Murders in the Building did a great job of that recently as well), but they missed the boat on that front and wound up closer to A Deadly Adoption with more comedic bits thrown in.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-31-22 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-31-22, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
You know this was a joke show, right? The joke was the mailbox never got fixed.

My girlfriend and I enjoyed it. It was hilarious I did guess the who the killer would be from the first or second episode because I thought it would be the most ridiculous way to end it. I really enjoyed the absurd nature of it all.
I suspect it was supposed to be a joke show but the joke really fell flat until the last episode. The title made it seem like a joke show and the mailbox did as well but overall it lacked the tone of what I would expect for a joke show. It was never fully clear what the show was supposed to be aside from absurdist. I would think a joke show would or should have been funnier.
Old 01-31-22, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

I was having a hard time getting into it. I think I'll give it another shot.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.