Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Yellowjackets (Showtime) - S: Christina Ricci, Juliette Lewis, Melanie Lynskey

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-21, 11:34 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Yellowjackets (Showtime) - S: Christina Ricci, Juliette Lewis, Melanie Lynskey

Part survival epic, part psychological horror story and part coming-of-age drama, this is the story of a team of wildly talented high school girls’ soccer players who survive a plane crash deep in the remote northern wilderness. The series chronicles their descent from a complicated but thriving team to savage clans, while also tracking the lives they’ve attempted to piece back together 25 years later. What began in the wilderness is far from over. Starring Melanie Lynskey, Tawny Cypress, with Christina Ricci and Juliette Lewis. Watch the premiere on November 14 at 10/9c on SHOWTIME.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Alex Wyndham as Adult Kevyn
· Alexa Barajas as Teenage Mari
· Amy Okuda as Cat Wheeler
· Ava Allan
· Briana Venskus as Jessica Cruz
· Christina Ricci as Adult Misty
· Courtney Eaton as Lottie
· Ella Purnell as Jackie
· Jasmin Savoy Brown as Teen Taissa
· Juliette Lewis as Adult Natalie
· Keeya King as Akilah
· Kevin Alves as Teenage Travis
· Liv Hewson as Vanessa "Van" Palmer
· Melanie Lynskey as Adult Shauna
· Peter Gadiot as Adam
· Sammi Hanratty as Teen Misty
· Sarah Desjardins as Callie
· Sophie Nélisse as Teen Shauna
· Sophie Thatcher as Teen Natalie
· Steven Krueger as Ben Scott
· Tawny Cypress as Adult Taissa
· Warren Kole as Adult Jeff Sadecki

CREW INFORMATION:
· Ashley Lyle as CRTR/EP
· Bart Nickerson as CRTR/EP
· Drew Comins as EP
· Jonathan Lisco as EP
· Karyn Kusama as EP/DIR (Pilot)
Premieres next week, but the first episode is up on Showtime Anytime.
Old 11-07-21, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Re: Yellowjackets (Showtime) - S: Christina Ricci, Juliette Lewis, Melanie Lynskey

Alan liked it. I will check it out today. I like that cast.
Old 11-07-21, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Re: Yellowjackets (Showtime) - S: Christina Ricci, Juliette Lewis, Melanie Lynskey

This looks like it could go either way for me.

Not sure if it's mostly a drama/suspense series, or more sci-fi/horror oriented.
Old 11-07-21, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

After episode 1, I'm out. That was pretty bad.
Old 11-12-21, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I liked it.
Old 11-17-21, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Liked the first episode enough that I didn't even watch the "this season on..." part 'cuz I didn't want spoilers.

I didn't know Karyn Kusama was behind this till the closing credits. Not sure if she directs again, but that's certainly gonna bolster my chances of riding this one all the way till the end. Good use of 90s music. Also liked that they used an older (green and red) pennant of the New Jersey Devils, even though they'd already switched to red and black by 1996. Better than The Goldbergs where they had a Devils' fan wearing the 90s jersey in "Nineteen eighty-something".
Old 11-22-21, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Liked the second episode even more, some really nasty stuff (impaled teenagers) in the aftermath of the plane crash. And they're not making much effort to hide who the (eventual) villain is.
Old 11-22-21, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

It's "okay". I just don't like how they go back and forth constantly. I wish they'd stick with the plane crash scenes. Its almost like a "tease" when they keep breaking away from all of it.
Old 11-23-21, 09:40 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
I liked it.
I liked it too!
Old 11-23-21, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like the "tease" of going back and forth in between eras. Makes you think differently about the characters, how they were then vs. how they are now. I mean, Misty was kinda fun in the first episode, only showing a little mean streak and now we know that mean streak is rather extreme.

We also know some characters don't make it out. I'm pretty sure team captain Jackie is a goner.
Old 11-23-21, 07:09 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Paff
We also know some characters don't make it out. I'm pretty sure team captain Jackie is a goner.
No one has been confirmed as "dead" in the Current time, so who knows who lived (besides the current adult versions). I didn't realize their were so many girls.
Old 11-24-21, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Good point, and I'm now realizing we'll definitely see the adult version of a character we presume died in the wilderness ordeal because they haven't been shown yet. Like yes, maybe Jackie.
Old 11-24-21, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Liked the second episode even more, some really nasty stuff (impaled teenagers) in the aftermath of the plane crash. And they're not making much effort to hide who the (eventual) villain is.
Yeah. I'm enjoying this so far.
Old 11-24-21, 03:29 PM

At first I was confused since young Jackie looks just like the The Opposite of Sex - Era Christina Ricci.

Old 11-24-21, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was getting more of an Olivia Cooke vibe from teenage Jackie:

Old 11-24-21, 04:18 PM

Seriously look at this girl. How do you cast her in a show with two time lines, one of which features an adult Christina Ricci and not have her play the younger version?

Old 12-01-21, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Some of the folks at AV Club noticed the same thing I did: If there's a cabin, there must be a way to get to the cabin from civilization. Follow that road or trail to be rescued.
Old 12-01-21, 01:11 PM

The cabin seems long abandoned. Maybe any trail is overgrown by now?

BTW : The opening credits, which don't appear until the third episode, are godawful.
Old 12-01-21, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's a bit of a stretch (trail being overgrown), because even if it is, there's still reason to believe that they can't be more than 10 miles from a major road of sorts. And if people took any kind of vehicle to the cabin, the general location of the trail would still be present, I.E., it must be passable terrain, not something like rocks and cliffs because no vehicle would navigate something like that and rocks and cliffs don't "grow" in 10 or 20 years.

But I won't nitpick it more than that, because to do so would take the fun out of the show. It's like when Alfred Hitchcock was asked why his characters don't go to the police, his answer was a simple "Because that would be BORING", and he's right. If a couple of Yellowjackets hike to civilization, they'll send help to the rest of the team, and the show is over. Still, I hope it's at least discussed and addressed, because otherwise it's almost like the Geico commercial: "Why can't we just get in the running car??"
Old 12-01-21, 07:22 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Decker

BTW : The opening credits, which don't appear until the third episode, are godawful.
Yes, THAT!
Old 12-07-21, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, looks like they addressed my concern; by finding the abandoned plane, it's implied the only way to the cabin is by air, there's no road to it.

Show has slowed down a bit, which is to be expected, but it's still got my attention.
Old 12-07-21, 04:37 PM

I have the feeling Misty is the one fucking with everyone - sending out the postcards, and maybe killed Travis?
Old 12-07-21, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What about Adam though? I mean, he shows up out of nowhere and immediately is pushing Shauna for a relationship. He just "showed up" at the hotel to get a drink? Who does that? When was the last time you went to a bar at a hotel you weren't staying at? (not including Las Vegas, of course). Is he a journalist? Everyone trying to befriend a former Yellowjacket is always pushing for details on the 19 months.

I saw an interesting theory being posited that Adam doesn't exist because he never interacts with anyone other than Shauna. That's pushing it a bit, but I did recall that when Shauna was buying booze in the parking lot she told Adam to wave, yet you still didn't see him.
Old 12-15-21, 06:45 AM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I thought the premiere episode of this was great. So many possibilities.

I can see why it’s 100 percent on RT with critics.
Old 12-15-21, 07:08 AM

What about Adam though? I mean, he shows up out of nowhere and immediately is pushing Shauna for a relationship. He just "showed up" at the hotel to get a drink? Who does that? When was the last time you went to a bar at a hotel you weren't staying at? (not including Las Vegas, of course). Is he a journalist? Everyone trying to befriend a former Yellowjacket is always pushing for details on the 19 months.

I saw an interesting theory being posited that Adam doesn't exist because he never interacts with anyone other than Shauna. That's pushing it a bit, but I did recall that when Shauna was buying booze in the parking lot she told Adam to wave, yet you still didn't see him.
That theory is out since in the recent episode, Shauna's daughter meets him at the club they ran into each other at.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.