DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Orville: New Horizons (Hulu) -- premieres 6/2/22 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/653828-orville-new-horizons-hulu-premieres-6-2-22-a.html)

Eric F 02-04-22 01:57 PM

Re: The Orville: New Horizons (Hulu) -- premieres 6/2/22

I feel like Lower Decks is doing what Orville was except it's Trek canon. I'm not sure how they can really top that at this point, but I suppose with streaming it doesn't matter when the seasons are released.

TGM 02-04-22 03:32 PM

enjoyed S1 and 2, but not a subscriber to Hulu, and not willing to sign up for yet another streaming service.

with that said, this has got to be one of the strangest and oddest vanity projects a celeb has ever had. Not saying it's bad, it's not, it's quite good, but it's just such a fucking odd flex.

DJariya 02-04-22 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 14053510)
enjoyed S1 and 2, but not a subscriber to Hulu, and not willing to sign up for yet another streaming service.

with that said, this has got to be one of the strangest and oddest vanity projects a celeb has ever had. Not saying it's bad, it's not, it's quite good, but it's just such a fucking odd flex.

Hulu's been around for well over 10 years. It's one of the OG streaming services. It's not like it came out in 2020. So you've never had it? I've had it since day 1 and it's a good service.

This show would have been cancelled had Hulu not saved it.

windom 02-04-22 04:14 PM

I've never had Hulu and don't really want to get it either. It looks like their shows are available for purchase on Amazon. I'd probably just purchase the season there if I can. Dunno if you can get the episodes as they premiere that way though.

MLBFan24 02-04-22 04:27 PM

I remember using Hulu in 2007 when it was free. I missed an episode of Prison Break and it was my first streaming experience.

Gizmo 02-04-22 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 14053527)
Hulu's been around for well over 10 years. It's one of the OG streaming services. It's not like it came out in 2020. So you've never had it? I've had it since day 1 and it's a good service.

This show would have been cancelled had Hulu not saved it.

Fox, when they owned the show, renewed it for S3, because of 15 mil in tax incentives. Ratings were always meh, and this almost seems like a favor to Seth.

Disney bought Fox, and this show barely had any S3 work done so I guess had Hulu not saved it (owned mostly by Disney, now the owner of the show), I bet Fox would have backed out on S3, sort of like Stumptown.

Rumor is the show has already been canceled, and they are just airing these since they wanted to finish the season/show. Not sure how much stock is in that, but this is going to air 3 years later so...

milo bloom 02-04-22 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 14053510)

Seth has mentioned it and watching the show it's obvious, he truly loves Star Trek (particularly TNG), like in a way that I don't see from the producers of DIS or Picard. He saw a hole in the tv landscape that was missing a TNG style scifi show and I have no doubt he pitched it to FOX as pure satire/parody but once the check cleared he started doing serious stories and ended up making what I would probably consider the second best Trek show of the modern era (after Lower Decks).

cultshock 02-04-22 05:02 PM

Can't wait, this will be on Disney+ here in Canada (as the first two seasons already are).

Runaway 02-05-22 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 14053584)
Seth has mentioned it and watching the show it's obvious, he truly loves Star Trek (particularly TNG), like in a way that I don't see from the producers of DIS or Picard. He saw a hole in the tv landscape that was missing a TNG style scifi show and I have no doubt he pitched it to FOX as pure satire/parody but once the check cleared he started doing serious stories and ended up making what I would probably consider the second best Trek show of the modern era (after Lower Decks).

I wouldn't disagree, but even though the stories shifted towards TNG, he still used comedy elements which were just weird. Bortus has to visit his home planet for a ritual, pretty much a TNG story, but the ritual is pissing of a cliff?
For me The Orville always suffered, due to being only 80% committed to being a serious version of TNG. Seth MacFarlane not being a very good actor, was my other problem with the show.
That being said, the show had one of the funniest moments in TV history when Kelly had a date in front of a giant window and Ed was flying by in a shuttle to spy on her.

B5Erik 02-05-22 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Runaway (Post 14053819)
I wouldn't disagree, but even though the stories shifted towards TNG, he still used comedy elements which were just weird. Bortus has to visit his home planet for a ritual, pretty much a TNG story, but the ritual is pissing of a cliff?
For me The Orville always suffered, due to being only 80% committed to being a serious version of TNG. Seth MacFarlane not being a very good actor, was my other problem with the show.
That being said, the show had one of the funniest moments in TV history when Kelly had a date in front of a giant window and Ed was flying by in a shuttle to spy on her.

For me, the tone is just right. Yes, it's 80% serious. And the non-serious stuff fits in with the serious stuff. Seth and the other writers know when to pull it back and tone down the comedy, and when they can ratchet it up. There hasn't been anyhing remotely as fun as The Orville in I don't know how long.

DJariya 04-13-22 12:12 PM

Sounds like the 3rd season will likely be the final season. No plans for a 4th, the cast was already released from their contracts and MacFarlane has a development deal with NBC now.

https://deadline.com/2022/04/the-orv...lu-1235001564/

Gizmo 04-13-22 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 14089246)
Sounds like the 3rd season will likely be the final season. No plans for a 4th, the cast was already released from their contracts and MacFarlane has a development deal with NBC now.

https://deadline.com/2022/04/the-orv...lu-1235001564/

Oh look I was right

Inhumans99 04-13-22 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 (Post 14053560)
I remember using Hulu in 2007 when it was free. I missed an episode of Prison Break and it was my first streaming experience.

I remember the days when Hulu really was free, no tiered service levels, etc, just usually had to wait until some time had passed for a new show that aired on TV/Basic Cable for it to show up on Hulu. When I did not have cable (even basic cable) I was on sites (much like this one, maybe even this one in fact) that convinced me that the ABC Family show Greek would be something I would like to get into. I either ended up watching episodes on Hulu (and I seem to remember that you had to watch as fast as possible because older episodes would start dropping off Hulu and no longer be available), or I think ABC Family had their own site that they would also throw up episodes to watch w/commercials for free on your computer. Those were the days, search for a show on Hulu and just hope that the episodes started popping up that you could click on to watch.

If it were not for Hulu, I would not have had the pleasure of watching Greek, which was such a wonderful show. I should do a rewatch of Greek one of these days.

Back to the subject at hand, at least June is just a couple months away, as I am a fan of the show.

milo bloom 04-13-22 01:30 PM

Of all the shows that should have gotten the cliched treatment of "six seasons and a movie", this was absolutely one of them. It truly filled a hole in the scifi landscape that Discovery simply wasn't good enough to do, but I guess with all the new Trek projects, the showrunners don't want to go up against the 800 lb gorilla.

B5Erik 04-13-22 02:04 PM

Well, I was just happy to get a 3rd season. The 2nd season finale could have worked as a series finale if they weren't able to get a season 3, so this season is a bonus.

I hope it comes out on DVD or Blu Ray later on so I have a complete collection. This is one of my all time favorite shows.

It's a shame that the Orville struggles while all these crappy modern Star Trek shows don't look or feel like Star Trek at all. The Orville looks and feels like Star Trek much more than those shows. That's messed up.

Can't wait for June!

movieguru 04-13-22 04:25 PM

I wonder if they could eventually turn this into a small scale franchise like Stargate and have other shows set in the same universe. It's much better than the new Trek shows right now.

Deftones 04-13-22 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 14089247)
Oh look I was right

You are a legend in your own mind.

TGM 04-13-22 07:23 PM

too bad that this show was unceremoniously murdered.

tanman 04-13-22 11:16 PM

I would say that it was at least ceremonially murdered.

At least we're getting season 3?

B5Erik 04-14-22 01:21 AM

I suspect that part of the reason why there (likely) won't be a Season 4 is because MacFarlane loves this show and is a perfectionist when it comes to all the details (from the scripts to the sets to the effects). He said that they were spending a lot of extra time on this season to make it as good as possible.

I just don't think he was willing to compromise anything for the sake of lowering the budget to keep the show going, and they probably needed to cut that budget to get a Season 4.

BUT I'm OK with the show ending after this season. Like I said before, I wasn't sure we'd get a Season 3, so this is a total bonus for me. (Hell, I was glad to get Season 2! It was a bit iffy for a while as to whether or not Season 2 would happen!)

emachine12 04-14-22 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 14089622)
I suspect that part of the reason why there (likely) won't be a Season 4 is because MacFarlane loves this show and is a perfectionist when it comes to all the details (from the scripts to the sets to the effects). He said that they were spending a lot of extra time on this season to make it as good as possible.

I just don't think he was willing to compromise anything for the sake of lowering the budget to keep the show going, and they probably needed to cut that budget to get a Season 4.

BUT I'm OK with the show ending after this season. Like I said before, I wasn't sure we'd get a Season 3, so this is a total bonus for me. (Hell, I was glad to get Season 2! It was a bit iffy for a while as to whether or not Season 2 would happen!)

There is an article above that states specifically that the cast has been let go from their contracts and MacFarlane is now working with NBCUniversal Comcast. MacFarlane’s first project is a Ted prequel for Peacock.

Unless The Orville is a big enough hit for Hulu, Hulu is not going to renogotiate contracts with the cast. Especially after the issue with cast negotiations for the Hulu Futurama revival.

windom 04-14-22 11:57 AM

Did Norm MacDonald record his dialogue before he died?

RichC2 04-14-22 12:10 PM

Yes.

https://www.cbr.com/norm-macdonald-f...0The%20Orville.

B5Erik 04-14-22 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by emachine12 (Post 14089777)
There is an article above that states specifically that the cast has been let go from their contracts and MacFarlane is now working with NBCUniversal Comcast. MacFarlane’s first project is a Ted prequel for Peacock.

Unless The Orville is a big enough hit for Hulu, Hulu is not going to renogotiate contracts with the cast. Especially after the issue with cast negotiations for the Hulu Futurama revival.

What I was saying is that MacFarlane probably let the Orville go as far as something he was pursuing a 4th season for, and went with a new project instead that won't be so time (and money) consuming.

He was spending a TON of time with The Orville, which was part of the reason for the delay (from the time they re-started production until the show was ready to air almost a year had passed, and that's for just 10 episodes). He wasn't letting any part of the production be less than what he saw as perfect. He loves this show. It's his passion project.

No way does Hulu (or anyone else) give him that kind of time and money again. Nor did he likely want to fight for the show and then spend as much time as it would take to get another season produced. Hell, given what I would expect from the ratings, it's not likely he could have made a deal for a 4th season happen unless he made massive budget and production time cuts. He wasn't going to do that.

Gizmo 04-15-22 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 14090038)
No way does Hulu (or anyone else) give him that kind of time and money again. Nor did he likely want to fight for the show and then spend as much time as it would take to get another season produced. Hell, given what I would expect from the ratings, it's not likely he could have made a deal for a 4th season happen unless he made massive budget and production time cuts. He wasn't going to do that.

This is why:
"In the latest round of California TV tax credits, Seth MacFarlane’s space dramedy was approved to receive $15.8 million for a third season, up from the $14.5 million incentive it got for Season 2". December 2018

Fox sure as hell didn't want to continue with a show they no longer owned/produced (tax incentives mean nothing to them anymore) and did meh ratings, but Hulu saw some value in it + the tax incentives. I suspect they were not eligible for a 4th season (or unable to apply given the time difference between seasons).

I've tried 3 times to watch this show and just could not get into it despite everyone praising it. I want to like a sci-fi show like this, but maybe McFarlane just isn't my jam in my older age. Season 3 will be lucky to get a weekends worth of attention before its forgotten. Gosh, are they doing weekly releases or a big dump?