Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

AT&T (WarnerMedia) and Discovery Merger

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-21, 12:49 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts
AT&T (WarnerMedia) and Discovery Merger

It appears that AT&T doesn’t want TimeWarner anymore.

Old 05-17-21, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Re: AT&T wants Time Warner

Didn't TimeWarner go through this a few years ago with AOL?

They get passed around like a hooker at Charlie Sheen's house.
Old 05-17-21, 06:37 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
re: AT&T (WarnerMedia) and Discovery Merger

It’s Official: AT&T and Discovery Detail Merger Plans

AT&T and Discovery Inc. have made it official, unveiling their plan to merge their media and entertainment assets in a deal that will bring together TV channels like CNN, TBS, TNT, HGTV, Food Network and Discovery Channel, the Warner Bros. film studio, and streaming services HBO Max and Discovery+.

Under the terms of the deal, WarnerMedia and Discovery will merge through a complex all-stock move called a Reverse Morris Trust transaction, that would see AT&T receive $43 billion in cash, debt securities, and WarnerMedia’s retention of certain debt, and AT&T’s shareholders would receive stock representing 71% of the new company.

Discovery CEO David Zaslav will lead the company as CEO, and there is no word about a role for WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar. The companies say the deal will close in 2022, subject to shareholder and regulatory approvals.

The combined company is expected to have $52 billion in revenue in 2023, and the companies say there will be $3 billion in cost synergies through the combination. AT&T, meanwhile, will focus its efforts on 5G and fiber broadband.

“This agreement unites two entertainment leaders with complementary content strengths and positions the new company to be one of the leading global direct-to-consumer streaming platforms,” said AT&T CEO John Stankey in a statement. “It will support the fantastic growth and international launch of HBO Max with Discovery’s global footprint and create efficiencies which can be re-invested in producing more great content to give consumers what they want.”

“During my many conversations with John, we always come back to the same simple and powerful strategic principle: these assets are better and more valuable together. It is super exciting to combine such historic brands, world class journalism and iconic franchises under one roof and unlock so much value and opportunity,” Added Zaslav. “With a library of cherished IP, dynamite management teams and global expertise in every market in the world, we believe everyone wins…consumers with more diverse choices, talent and storytellers with more resources and compelling pathways to larger audiences, and shareholders with a globally scaled growth company committed to a strong balance sheet that is better positioned to compete with the world’s largest streamers.”

The merger is just the latest example of consolidation in the media and entertainment space in recent years, as companies jockey to scale up in order to take on streaming video giants like Netflix and, to a certain extent, YouTube.

In December 2019, Viacom and CBS re-merged after being split by owner Sumner Redstone in 2006. The newly-crowned ViacomCBS launched a new streaming service, Paramount+, earlier this year.

In early 2019, The Walt Disney Co. acquired the entertainment assets of 21st Century Fox in a $71.3 billion blockbuster deal that paved the way for Disney+. Discovery previously bulked up in 2018 through the $14.6 billion takeover of Scripps Networks Interactive, the owner of Food Network and HGTV.

Meanwhile, Comcast in 2011 acquired a majority stake in NBCUniversal in 2011 before taking full ownership in 2013. Analysts including MoffettNathanson’s Michael Nathanson and LightShed’s Rich Greenfield have argued that NBCUniversal and WarnerMedia would make logical merger partners, though with the Discovery deal now announced, Comcast/NBUniversal would have to make an alternative offer.

The company has a history of doing so. For example, when Disney acquired Fox, Comcast swooped in and acquired Fox’s stake in Sky after a bidding war with Disney.

“Discovery + WarnerMedia would create a direct-to-consumer player with the content bonafides to be one of the best global players,” said Wells Fargo analyst Steven Cahall. “The combined content assets could push this potential company into the direct-to-consumer winners’ circle as HBO and Warner Bros. are great brands and libraries, respectively, while Discovery has unique lifestyle content and some of the best international reach in media.” He concluded: “In global direct-to-consumer, it may not be a winner take all market, but it’s probably a winners take most market, and this is the sort of scale that’s required.”
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...al-1234954085/
Old 05-17-21, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts
Re: AT&T (WarnerMedia) and Discovery Merger

Wonder who will be next.

For example, will Comcast spin off Universal's media assets ?

Perhaps in a similar style as this Warner/Discover merger + spinoff, Comcast even merging Universal with Lionsgate and spinning off the merged entity company?

(Lionsgate also owns Starz and Anchor Bay).
Old 05-17-21, 07:33 AM

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised at all if AT&T is more interested in expanding their 5G networks and not worrying about making movies + tv shows.
Old 05-17-21, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Makes little sense. They basically cover polar opposites of entertainment. I doubt they are going to merge the two streaming services, which again, defeats the whole purpose of consolation.
Old 05-17-21, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Makes little sense. They basically cover polar opposites of entertainment. I doubt they are going to merge the two streaming services, which again, defeats the whole purpose of consolation.
Why do you doubt that HBO Max and discovery + will merge?
Old 05-17-21, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

I really do not understand the concept behind Discovery+ Is it aimed at people that do not have cable? Seems like one of the least enticing streamers out there.
Old 05-17-21, 09:32 AM

It seems pretty apparent from the article that that is the intention.

Last edited by dex14; 05-17-21 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-17-21, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones
The guys behind this merger + spinoff don't give a damn anymore.

They likely have their own "golden parachutes" already lined up, on the day the merger/spinoff is final and their "resignations" are officially announced.
Old 05-17-21, 09:49 AM

In an hour-long press briefing, Discovery CEO David Zaslav and AT&T CEO John Stankey outlined plans for the companies’ $43 billion merger.

“We’re going to be one company,” Zaslav said. “One company, one culture, one mission.” As to the timing of the deal, Stankey said he felt the entertainment portfolio had achieved “escape velocity” in recent months. Given the broader objectives of AT&T, which has been investing in 5G and other technology for its broadband and wireless networks, he added, “It became clear to me that we were going to need a different capital structure.”

The transaction, which burst into view as a strong likelihood just a day ago, took shape earlier this year during covert meetings between Zaslav and Stankey in New York, the execs said. It will see AT&T own 71% of the combined entity and Discovery the remaining 29%, with 2023 revenue projected at $52 billion. It brings entertainment and media brands like HBO, HGTV, Warner Bros and Food Network under the same roof and creates a larger-scale player to challenge Netflix. Zaslav will run the company, whose official name will be revealed in the coming days.

The makeup of the executive suite is a looming question. Asked two separate times about the status of WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar in the new configuration, the executives said he remains in his position for the time being. But they didn’t offer much more of a vote of confidence than that. Kilar, a former Amazon exec and Hulu CEO, took the reins at WarnerMedia in May 2020.

“David’s got decisions he’s gotta make across a broad cross-section of how he wants to organize the business and who will be in what roles moving forward in this transition period,” Stankey said. Zaslav noted that he was Kilar’s colleague at NBC during his run as a sales exec, as Kilar was running Hulu, initially a co-venture backed by NBC and Fox. “Jason is a fantastic talent,” Zaslav said.

There will be $3 billion in synergies from the deal, Zaslav said. He noted that after Discovery bought Scripps Networks Interactive for $14.6 billion in 2018, the management team that eventually took shape drew from both companies’ ranks. “It was a real mixture, like half and half,” Zaslav recalled. With the new entity, he said, “We’re going to get really aggressive and drive productivity.”

While there will be “great synergy in finding the best and the brightest people,” Zaslav added, “the objective is, attack that business with productivity and talent, great people and hard work. But then spend more money on content.” The budget will start at $20 billion, he said, “and we want to invest in more.”

CNN will remain in the corporate fold, Zaslav said, and the company plans to be “the world leader in news.” Ever since AT&T proposed buying Time Warner in 2016, the fate of the news network has been a question in Washington and on Wall Street. Former President Donald Trump long tangled with the network and it was during his administration that the Department of Justice filed an antitrust suit to try to block the Time Warner deal. A federal judge rejected the complaint, and an appellate court supported the ruling.

Jeff Zucker, who has run CNN for nearly a decade, has planned to step down at the end of the year. Given his ties to Zaslav (the two were another pair who connected at NBC), there is a chance he could extend his run at the new company. That scenario was not discounted by Zaslav and Stankey, but they didn’t offer anything definitive.

In his introductory remarks, Zaslav acknowledged the Warner Brother by name, harking back to the origins of the company nearly a century ago. That gesture pointed to a significant piece of real estate Zaslav will now oversee (from an office on the Warner Bros lot, he announced): the film operations at Warner Bros. Left unaddressed during the hour with reporters was the company’s film strategy and plans to address relationships with talent and theater owners bruised by the decision by Kilar to release movies day-and-date on HBO Max and in theaters. The plan has goosed HBO Max subscriptions and helped generate sizable box office, but has clouded the outlook on where theatrical windows will settle.

As to streaming, both partners have recently entered the direct-to-consumer space in significant ways, with Discovery+ and HBO Max. The execs were non-committal as to whether they would combine the services or bundle them as separate products. Zaslav said all options would be explored. “We’ll see over the next few years as we learn more about what consumers want and how they want it,” he said.
https://deadline.com/2021/05/discove...edium=facebook
Old 05-17-21, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,504 Posts

I'm trying to think what benefit there is to combining services assuming they don't raise the price. I guess they can fire a bunch of people with duplicated roles. But I'm not sure adding Discovery+ content really moves the needle when it comes to upping the Max subscriber base (but that may just be my bias as I had no interest in that as a separate service).
Old 05-17-21, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I really do not understand the concept behind Discovery+ Is it aimed at people that do not have cable? Seems like one of the least enticing streamers out there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discovery,_Inc.#Divisions

Discovery owns about 17 English language networks in the U.S. it’s pretty much unscripted television like reality, documentaries, food, travel, true crime, interview based shows. They have a huge library of content. I understand if you don’t watch or care for unscripted content, but the company is huge.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-17-21 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-17-21, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
According to an article I read, Discovery+ is part of Discovery increasing its direct-to-consumer capabilities, which they see as their future. Right now Cable pays the majority of the bills, but they're preparing for a future where viewers might abandon cable for other means. Right now, they're trying to figure things out, which is apparently why some of the Discovery+ exclusives are now playing on the regular networks.
Old 05-17-21, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by DWilson
Right now, they're trying to figure things out, which is apparently why some of the Discovery+ exclusives are now playing on the regular networks.
Over the past year or so, how much of this has to do with abrupt shutdowns of productions ?

ie. Similar to how CBS was broadcasting older episodes of Star Trek Discovery during prime time.
Old 05-17-21, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Looks like some of the gaming divisions will be split between ATT and discovery:
Old 05-17-21, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised at all if AT&T is more interested in expanding their 5G networks and not worrying about making movies + tv shows.
ATT has a lot of debt and needs cash to buy 5G spectrum that it won in the recent auction. It apparently is spinning off non core businesses. It just did not have a coherent strategy with how it handled the various HBO streaming products.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (05-19-21)
Old 05-17-21, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk God

The CEO of Warner Media, Jason Kilar, is planning to leave now

Old 05-17-21, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

The important question:

What's in it FOR ME? How will I benefit from all this?
Old 05-17-21, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
The important question:

What's in it FOR ME? How will I benefit from all this?
Studio scripted content should still be the same.

If you don't care for documentaries and unscripted content, you can always choose to ignore it.
Old 05-17-21, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Studio scripted content should still be the same.

If you don't care for documentaries and unscripted content, you can always choose to ignore it.

Well I've been ignoring Discovery+ for some time now. But if it means I can get in on some of their content at no extra cost that may change.
John Pannozzi (05-17-21)
Old 05-17-21, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

What's in it for you, is that the horrendously run, piece of shit company, AT&T, no longer will be touching HBO content. Now, if Discovery will be an improvement in that regard is not so clear.
Giantrobo (05-17-21)
Old 05-17-21, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Well I've been ignoring Discovery+ for some time now. But if it means I can get in on some of their content at no extra cost that may change.
Yeah baby!! 90 day fiance and My 600 pound life at no extra cost

But seriously, I have Discovery + and I think they have a lot of good unscripted shows and documentaries. I mostly follow food, travel and some true crime docs.
Old 05-17-21, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
What's in it for you, is that the horrendously run, piece of shit company, AT&T, no longer will be touching HBO content. Now, if Discovery will be an improvement in that regard is not so clear.
But... I currently get HBO Max for free because I use AT&T/DirecTV...

Boondock Saint (05-18-21)
Old 05-17-21, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I hope this merger doesn't affect the Discovery operations center in Knoxville. There was concern back when it changed hands from Scripps to Discovery a few years ago. I hope they move WarnerMedia operations there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.