Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Falcon and The Winter Soldier (S1E06) - Finale - “One World, One People” - 4/23/21

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Falcon and The Winter Soldier (S1E06) - Finale - “One World, One People” - 4/23/21

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-21, 10:17 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: The Falcon and The Winter Soldier (S1E06) - Finale - “One World, One People” - 4/23/21

Originally Posted by tanman
WandaVision
Not correct.
Old 04-28-21, 10:18 AM
Banned by request

Re: The Falcon and The Winter Soldier (S1E06) - Finale - “One World, One People” - 4/23/21

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Well, I feel like I have commented in every thread with my critiques, but I'll try to summarize here.

The dialog was incredibly cheesy at times, and the writing was a bit juvenile. I think part of this is that something like "the blip" is almost too complicated an idea to actually do it any justice in a serious way. It introduces too many complications into the storyline, and it's almost better ignored than to actually delve into it because of all the potential plot holes it introduces.

I feel that the themes they wanted to tackle (systemic racism, inequality) are all worthy to tackle, but the writing was so ham-fisted that it didn't do any of these topics justice. Everything was so on the nose and obvious. It felt like an after school special a lot of the time. I mentioned it before but the "No, that's Captain America" line was so obvious and so badly performed that it should have hit the cutting room floor. The Isiah stuff was great, and the performance was incredibly strong. I don't know that I would have felt better after being fucked over by a government I fought for just because they put a statue of me in a museum. That's nice, but that's not the justice I would want. However, I can see why other people disagree with that, so I would say that's only a minor irritation for me.

The interplay between Karli and Sam, and their conversations trying to convince the other that they're right, were BAD. Karli was incredibly poorly written, and what she was fighting for actually made a ton of sense, so now to keep Sam fighting on the "right" side, they had to make her cartoonishly bad. Also, I still can't forget the one scene where the one Smasher "sacrifices himself" so the Smashers can get away. How does he do this? By running straight at the attackers into a hail of bullets. Great strategy. These are definitely "terrorists" that we have to worry about, and how clever they are. Painful.

Who cares about the power broker? No, seriously, who gives a fuck who the power broker is? I didn't care who they were before, and I certainly don't care after the reveal.

Sam and Bucky are good characters, and their interplay was good. I also thought that despite how bad he looked in the costume, that the performance by Wyatt Russell was very good. The actions scenes were well done, but I didn't like how weak Bucky seemed in comparison to the Flag Smashers. To me, he should've been the strongest, by far, of any character featured in this show, and he was regularly having trouble with basically untrained "soldiers" who at best would match his strength, but should've been no challenge for his years and years of training.

So, there were some strong positives, but a lot of big negatives, so I average the show out to "OK." I would probably check out a second season, but I wouldn't be counting the days down on my calendar.
Yeah, none of this is what I got from the show. It was as solid as the movies overall.
Old 04-28-21, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Received 1,069 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by csant
Who will the next Capt be after this one?
I actually asked this in the MCU sub[redacted] and people were so upset with me haha. In the comics, I believe Sharon and Steve's daughter becomes "American Dream" in the future, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage's daughter becomes Cap in one version of the future, and possibly America Chavez (coming soon to Dr. Strange 2) might be Cap in an alternate universe. The first obviously can't happen, but I'm all about the other ones.
Old 04-28-21, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Everyone all be “it was okay” “could have been better” etc, etc. Bitches, all of you. This was a fun series and a great intro into the next Captain America. Geez, what the hell does everyone want?
I feel like I already addressed that lol. Better villain (Flagsmashers were weaksauce), more Bucky (show was like 80% Falcon, 20% Bucky), more Zemo, and Captain America should have powers. IMO. Also Walker getting off scott-free after murdering someone in public was a problem as well.
Old 04-28-21, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

An authority figure getting off after murdering someone on video in broad daylight? That’s actually really believable.
The following 3 users liked this post by spainlinx0:
Bandoman (04-28-21), FM (04-28-21), IBJoel (04-28-21)
Old 04-28-21, 01:50 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Xander
I feel like I already addressed that lol. Better villain (Flagsmashers were weaksauce), more Bucky (show was like 80% Falcon, 20% Bucky), more Zemo, and Captain America should have powers. IMO. Also Walker getting off scott-free after murdering someone in public was a problem as well.
I agree with these a lot more. Knowing how the MCU has worked so far, I’m guessing we’ll see a lot of these get resolved in upcoming movies, other series, or the next season of this one.
Old 04-28-21, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 698 Likes on 431 Posts

Technology is in and of itself a superpower. While the new Cap doesn't have super soldier serum running through his veins, he still has his falcon wings and powersource which he uses to his advantage in fighting, maneuvering, and personal protection (with the shield in front and the wings in back, he could potentially be invulnerable to ranged attacks).

Plus he can still fly like a jet fighter and use Redwing for various other useful tasks as well (back when I played the DC Heroes RPG from the 80s, they called this the "Omni-Gadget" -- it does whatever it needs to, within realistic reason, at a certain amount of power).

Sam might not be superpowered, but he is more than formidable enough against enemies within his power class.

Goddamn I went full taffer again...
The following 3 users liked this post by Hokeyboy:
IBJoel (04-29-21), majorjoe23 (04-30-21), Obi-Wanma (04-28-21)
Old 04-28-21, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed, although I do kind of laugh when he's "struggling" to push the trailer that's falling down. The power source from the wings are doing all the work! But I know that's just me being an ass, and is a normal comic book type thing.
Old 04-29-21, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 964 Likes on 671 Posts

Once again Ryan hits it right on the nose.

"Protecting everything except your brain cage is TIGHT!"

The following users liked this post:
story (04-29-21)
Old 04-29-21, 06:41 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 588 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Agreed, although I do kind of laugh when he's "struggling" to push the trailer that's falling down. The power source from the wings are doing all the work! But I know that's just me being an ass, and is a normal comic book type thing.
If we're not going to suspend disbelief, then his arms would have broken under that kind of force since he doesn't have super strength. He did have a workout montage in a prior episode, though, so maybe not.
Old 04-29-21, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 735 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
If we're not going to suspend disbelief, then his arms would have broken under that kind of force since he doesn't have super strength. He did have a workout montage in a prior episode, though, so maybe not.
We also don't know what the Wakandan puffy suit is capable of.
Old 04-30-21, 05:57 AM

Received 4,608 Likes on 3,124 Posts

Another Assembled Making Of is out today:

Old 04-30-21, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,246 Likes on 4,267 Posts

Old 04-30-21, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 560 Likes on 411 Posts

There was literally not a single thing likable about the John Walker character even before he killed someone in cold blood. Nothing that came after changed that for me.
lisadoris (05-01-21)
Old 04-30-21, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,368 Likes on 930 Posts

Eh he decided to help Falcon and WS with the FlagSmashers, albeit for selfish reasons. I don't dislike him but he is definitely not very likable.

Last edited by Deftones; 04-30-21 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-30-21, 11:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The problem is they introduced him to shock the viewers and it took a whole week to get the resolution of him being introduced with people telling the story of why he was great.

That shock should have been the intro for an episode and then gone into his time in Afghanistan to show why he’s worthy of being Captain America.
Old 05-01-21, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 964 Likes on 671 Posts

That makes zero sense. I was defending him in that I thought they did such a good job in making people absolutely hate John Walker. He was clearly a character you were supposed to hate.
Old 05-01-21, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the performance was good, but likeable? Umm, no.
Old 07-12-21, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,976 Likes on 1,528 Posts

Finally watched this:

About Walker, I can understand the pivotal moment being where he decides between going after Carly and saving the truck, and he chooses saving the truck even though he then gets the crap beaten out of him and Sam saves it anyway (this is probably why that moment is forgotten by most).

Dude had some good intentions but buckled under the pressure, but the writers put him in a position where he's ridiculed by everyone and nobody likes him because he's kind of a dork even though for the most part he's tried to do good. In that sense, they channeled the weirdness of the comic book US Agent who is also a jerk but somehow a good guy.

And that's where I thought it got away from them a little, the need for fan service, which I never thought I'd say about an MCU property hewing too close to the comic but here we are. Like comic fans know as soon as he's introduced to brace for Walker being a jerk and giving up the mantle. You know Falcon's going to give up his wings to his protege and get new ones. You know they're going to bring up Isaiah Bradley and race issues and then kind of neatly sidestep most of the deeper issues because hey, it's an MCU show. You even know (this is not comics but just common sense) that Falcon's going to get the boat running, they're not going to sell it, Falcon and Bucky will grow to be begrudging buddies, etc. That said, there's not much in the way of surprises so I get the griping about that and the plot holes. But I still mostly enjoyed it.

Even the complaints about the Falcon costume are mainly because they stuck really close to the comic design. But that headgear looks like super uncomfortable to wear or to even be able to turn your head.

I did kind of like the Sharon heel turn if only because it's utter crap that everyone got their life back and she was a fugitive for like 6 or 7 years and they basically forgot about her, even though Sam apparently had the power to get her pardoned AND freaking Bucky is just walking around free after all the crap he did. But I still hope she's a skrull. I also like the Wakandans not forgetting that Zemo killed their king, though why they then gave him up to the Raft instead of trying him for that themselves (and why Falcon and Bucky aren't the least bit prosecuted or questioned for helping break him out) is a mystery to me.

And yeah calling Bucky the Winter Soldier in the revised title scrawl did seem really odd to me.
Old 07-12-21, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 351 Likes on 270 Posts

I just finished watching this too. I liked it - good action, but nothing unique. The new Captain America suit looked great. Had some "24" vibes to it. Political, action thriller.

I'm watching WandaVision next (3 episodes watched so far) and I'm finding that more fun and mysterious. It definitely has my attention.
Old 07-13-21, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,670 Likes on 2,638 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Finally watched this:

About Walker, I can understand the pivotal moment being where he decides between going after Carly and saving the truck, and he chooses saving the truck even though he then gets the crap beaten out of him and Sam saves it anyway (this is probably why that moment is forgotten by most).

Dude had some good intentions but buckled under the pressure, but the writers put him in a position where he's ridiculed by everyone and nobody likes him because he's kind of a dork even though for the most part he's tried to do good. In that sense, they channeled the weirdness of the comic book US Agent who is also a jerk but somehow a good guy.

And that's where I thought it got away from them a little, the need for fan service, which I never thought I'd say about an MCU property hewing too close to the comic but here we are. Like comic fans know as soon as he's introduced to brace for Walker being a jerk and giving up the mantle. You know Falcon's going to give up his wings to his protege and get new ones. You know they're going to bring up Isaiah Bradley and race issues and then kind of neatly sidestep most of the deeper issues because hey, it's an MCU show. You even know (this is not comics but just common sense) that Falcon's going to get the boat running, they're not going to sell it, Falcon and Bucky will grow to be begrudging buddies, etc. That said, there's not much in the way of surprises so I get the griping about that and the plot holes. But I still mostly enjoyed it.

Even the complaints about the Falcon costume are mainly because they stuck really close to the comic design. But that headgear looks like super uncomfortable to wear or to even be able to turn your head.

I did kind of like the Sharon heel turn if only because it's utter crap that everyone got their life back and she was a fugitive for like 6 or 7 years and they basically forgot about her, even though Sam apparently had the power to get her pardoned AND freaking Bucky is just walking around free after all the crap he did. But I still hope she's a skrull. I also like the Wakandans not forgetting that Zemo killed their king, though why they then gave him up to the Raft instead of trying him for that themselves (and why Falcon and Bucky aren't the least bit prosecuted or questioned for helping break him out) is a mystery to me.

And yeah calling Bucky the Winter Soldier in the revised title scrawl did seem really odd to me.
So we can expect your review of Black Widow in January of 2022? I’m just kidding. I know you have small kids and not much time to watch TV or movies.
Old 07-13-21, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,976 Likes on 1,528 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
So we can expect your review of Black Widow in January of 2022? I’m just kidding. I know you have small kids and not much time to watch TV or movies.
And yet we've watched countless hours of Bluey...
Old 07-13-21, 05:25 PM

Received 4,608 Likes on 3,124 Posts

That's nothing to be ashamed of either.
fujishig (07-13-21)
Old 07-13-21, 05:54 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
That's nothing to be ashamed of either.
No kidding! I love Bluey!
fujishig (07-13-21)
Old 07-13-21, 06:06 PM
Banned by request

Season 3 is fucking awesome. Don’t deny that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.