TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO) - Season 11 Thread - premieres 10/24/21

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-21, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO) - Season 11 Thread - premieres 10/24/21

Originally Posted by RichC2
I knew the second walk into the glass was happening, I just didn't know to who. Good pick.
I thought one of the women auditioning at Netflix was going to walk into the glass behind them.
Old 10-27-21, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Sure, the hoarding reference would have worked better last year had that season's storyline circulated around the pandemic. It didn't. Because it was filmed prior. So while it felt somewhat dated now because there is no longer any shortage with those items, it was still funny IMO.
That's what made it so funny to me, that still has all this stuff when there's no longer a shortage means he didn't need it to begin with, and is now stuck with a pantry of shame.

Bringing Albert Brooks on the show creates a strange area, where presumable in the universe of the show, Bob Einstein is dead but Marty Funkhauser is still alive (last season said he was off vacationing somewhere).
Old 10-31-21, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Yeah, I'm not sure about this week's show. Will need to watch it again. But I thought the writing was pretty pretty bad. The whole thing with the towels? Really!? Especially with Cheryl bringing it up in the very next scene after Susie first mentioned them. When they were in the club and she said "This place is a little ratty. Like your towels". But the worst part of the show was at the end. What Dentist or Doctor talks directly to maintenance about a bathroom in the building they work? And what front desk person comes in to tell a Dentist or Doctor that people are still complaining about a bathroom when they are with a patient? Even more ridiculous, a Dentist talking to a patient about his nurse getting an abortion. So unbelievable, even for "Curb".
Old 11-01-21, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

I also wasn't too keen on this episode. It just wasn't really funny.

I get the towel stuff, but again, it wasn't funny.

The whole dog business was just annoying.

To top it off, my TiVo cut off the ending by about 2 minutes. It seems I have to pad everything by about 10 minutes, in order to not have to worry about it.
Old 11-01-21, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

It was Curb in Mad Libs mode. The towel thing almost felt like it was spoofing itself, but it wasn't.

Old 11-01-21, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Lucy Liu is still a thing?
She was on a fairly successful show, Elementary, that ran for 7 seasons and ended in 2019, and she's still gets regular acting work in film and TV.
Old 11-01-21, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
I also wasn't too keen on this episode. It just wasn't really funny.

I get the towel stuff, but again, it wasn't funny.

The whole dog business was just annoying.

To top it off, my TiVo cut off the ending by about 2 minutes. It seems I have to pad everything by about 10 minutes, in order to not have to worry about it.
I thought it was absolutely dreadful. Didn't laugh once. Just...BAD.
Old 11-01-21, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Yeah, not a great episode.

Not sure if the towel thing will be used in the future - otherwise it seems random and pointless.

Dylan whatever sees Larry's dog get hit by the car, but how does he even know Larry didn't call out the dog's name? He wasn't there for that - so why would he be disgusted with Larry right away?

I get that the ending tied up a couple points - that Jeff/Larry were wrong about the dental assistant and Larry was wrong about Don Jr./maintenance guy, and Larry didn't get to hear those facts. But it just wasn't funny and then just ended. Of course the dental assistant could still be scamming Jeff - where the abortion was real, but the complications were fake.
Old 11-01-21, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Seemed like the implications of what the dentist was saying would have been funnier if they paid off in this episode rather than just ending or carrying over to the future. I was starting to think that the dental assistant's "vacation" was her cover story for having the abortion that Larry would have ruined by revealing. The maintenance guy randomly lying came out of nowhere.

Plus, wasn't Larry obsessed with peeing sitting down a couple seasons ago? He could have reverted to that.
Old 11-01-21, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Ya..not very good

might be time to end the show, last season was pretty damn good though
Old 11-01-21, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

That episode was rough. I don't buy that Larry as he is portrayed on the show would ever in a million years let a person play a younger version of him that he didn't love for the part.
Old 11-01-21, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I don't know why Larry just doesn't go to the police with the whole extortion thing.
Old 11-02-21, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts

I don't know why Larry just doesn't go to the police with the whole extortion thing.
Yeah it’s a dumb thing to keep going as a central story arc. Feels like S9 Fatwa all over again. I hope they move off this story line but it doesn’t look like they will.
Old 11-02-21, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Yeah, and if not the police then at least talk about it to Leon, who would usually have some kind of humorous advice.
Old 11-02-21, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I'll join the chorus here and agree that this week's episode was pretty bad. Like many of you, I didn't laugh much either.
Old 11-03-21, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Yeah it’s a dumb thing to keep going as a central story arc. Feels like S9 Fatwa all over again. I hope they move off this story line but it doesn’t look like they will.
At least the fatwa gave us the Rushdie episode which I really liked. This premise with the black mail is fucking stupid.
Old 11-04-21, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

I always like the moments where I am 100% on Larry's side in his petty arguments. I would have loved to see him stick Leon and that woman with paying for their own meals after she wouldn't give him the steak. It's his fucking food, lady! He's the one paying for it!!
Old 11-05-21, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
It's his fucking food, lady! He's the one paying for it!!
So if you buy someone a gift, and they return it, you expect the money back?
Old 11-05-21, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Yea, I thought Larry was wrong about that. It's not like she ordered an extra meal to bring back to her dog. She's taking her leftovers which is customary.

One thing I did love/hate was when Jeff was eating shit for Larry in the meeting. I find it hilarious that Jeff has no problem with doing that for Larry whenever, but also got some extra Larry hate in there for how far he had to take it.
Old 11-05-21, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gunde
So if you buy someone a gift, and they return it, you expect the money back?
Buying someone's meal isn't giving them a gift. It's one person buying food and sharing it with another person. If we go out to dinner, and I'm paying, then I am buying two meals and sharing one of them with you . . . to enjoy right then and there in the restaurant. If there are leftovers, and I let you take them home, then that is me giving you a gift, and you can do what you want with the food.

And actually, my preference would be, and I have done this, if someone lets me know that they don't like a gift and are inclined to return it, I do just ask that they give it back, so I can return it (or keep it or give it to someone else) and I will buy them something else. If I just wanted to give you $39.99 + tax, I would have gone totally lazy and just gotten you a gift card for $50 and saved myself the trouble and energy of shopping.
Old 11-05-21, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Yea, I thought Larry was wrong about that. It's not like she ordered an extra meal to bring back to her dog. She's taking her leftovers which is customary.
But then you open the door to someone ordering way more food than they know they are going to eat at that sitting, so they can have food to take home. I'm buying you dinner TONIGHT, for you to eat while in my company, not your lunch and dinner tomorrow as well.
Old 11-05-21, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Yeah, I wonder if Larry has so much good will from the many actors and technical people that none of them are willing to say, "This is a stupid idea," or "We gave it a shot and tried our best, but this doesn't work."
Old 11-05-21, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Buying someone's meal isn't giving them a gift. It's one person buying food and sharing it with another person. If we go out to dinner, and I'm paying, then I am buying two meals and sharing one of them with you . . . to enjoy right then and there in the restaurant. If there are leftovers, and I let you take them home, then that is me giving you a gift, and you can do what you want with the food.
Wait, what? If you and I go out to a restaurant and you pay, I can only take the leftovers from my meal home if you allow me to?! Do you typically take both doggie bags home after dinner?

Do I at least get to order what I want or am I at the mercy of whatever you want since you’re only sharing your food with me?
Old 11-05-21, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Wait, what? If you and I go out to a restaurant and you pay, I can only take the leftovers from my meal home if you allow me to?!
yes
Do you typically take both doggie bags home after dinner?
no
Do I at least get to order what I want or am I at the mercy of whatever you want since you’re only sharing your food with me?
Are you ordering a reasonable amount of food that you would ordinarily eat in one sitting, or are you ordering an entire side of the menu with the intention of taking it all home with you? I'm buying you one meal, not a bag of groceries.

You think what I am saying is outlandish, but isn't it far rude behavior to assume that food I purchased is yours to take out of the restaurant.
I'm buying you A MEAL. Go ahead. Fill your belly up. The leftovers ought to be mine. I paid for them.
When you pay for something, it's yours. What part of this concept is mysterious? It's the fucking cornerstone of our society.

If I came to your house to watch football, and you produced an extra-large 12 slice pizza and a 12 pack of beer for us to share. And I ate 4 slices and drank 3 beers, and then wanted to take 2 slices and 3 beers home because half of the food was mine, would you think that was normal?

Someone said taking YOUR leftovers is customary. The custom is wrong.

Old 11-05-21, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,835 Likes on 1,230 Posts

This is AMAZING!

I'm just going to say that if a friend took me out for dinner (and I ordered a normal amount of food) but that friend restricted my ability to take home the leftovers from my plate, I'd consider that weird, cheap, and controlling.

No offense!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.