DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Shadow and Bone (Netflix) - Fantasy series from the writer of Arrival & Bird Box - Premieres 4/23/21 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/652841-shadow-bone-netflix-fantasy-series-writer-arrival-bird-box-premieres-4-23-21-a.html)

DJariya 04-19-21 10:13 PM

Shadow and Bone (Netflix) - Fantasy series from the writer of Arrival & Bird Box - Premieres 4/23/21

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...6480f7f297.jpg

Based on Leigh Bardugo's worldwide bestselling Grishaverse novels, Shadow and Bone finds us in a war-torn world where lowly soldier and orphan Alina Starkov has just unleashed an extraordinary power that could be the key to setting her country free. With the monstrous threat of the Shadow Fold looming, Alina is torn from everything she knows to train as part of an elite army of magical soldiers known as Grisha. But as she struggles to hone her power, she finds that allies and enemies can be one and the same and that nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. There are dangerous forces at play, including a crew of charismatic criminals, and it will take more than magic to survive.

8 episode season

This premieres Friday on Netflix

Yes, another Netflix original series to add to your growing backlog of unwatched streaming shows. :lol:

One publication I read was selling this as a potential Game of Thrones replacement. Okay.

This is based on a book series. The writer and showrunner of this series wrote Arrival, Lights Out, Bird Box, Final Destination 5 and the 2011 The Thing update among his resume.

Koby 04-20-21 06:13 PM

Re: Shadow and Bone (Netflix) - Fantasy series from the writer of Arrival & Bird Box - Premieres 4/23/21

Looks interesting. I wonder why I hadn't heard of this prior to now though. o.O Gonna give it a watch.

johnnysd 04-20-21 07:01 PM

Re: Shadow and Bone (Netflix) - Fantasy series from the writer of Arrival & Bird Box - Premieres 4/23/21

I watched like 20 seconds of the trailer and was all in.

Why So Blu? 04-23-21 04:02 PM

Starting first episode of this now. It's in 4K DV and Atmos.

dex14 04-23-21 04:32 PM

I watched the first 4... I'm not that into it.

It looks and sounds nice though.

Why So Blu? 04-23-21 05:34 PM

Yeah, first episode was ok. It's dense but does look and sound great.

meshershark 04-25-21 01:48 PM

One episode to go. Great so far. Impressive world-building.

Cellar Door 04-25-21 04:34 PM

I really liked this. I was a little leery that this might be another Cursed (pretty bad Netflix fantasy series aimed at teens), but it was much better than that. The story was well-developed and the characters are interesting. I wouldn't put it among my top tier of Netflix series, but it was enjoyable and I'd happily watch another season.

Superman07 04-26-21 08:45 AM

I’m only two episodes in, but enjoying it. I agree it doesn’t seem the best, but I thought episode two was stronger than the pilot.

So far I’m enjoying the town plot with the club owner the most.

Fist of Doom Jr 04-30-21 05:25 PM

I quite enjoyed this. The first half was good, but the second half was really strong. Kaz & Co. were my favorite characters. I thought a couple of things were rushed, but they crammed a lot into 8 eps. One thing that bugged me:
Spoiler:
Mal was all-but-dead 3 (maybe 4?) times and came back. It got old, especially since it was obvious they weren't going to kill him off.

Apparently it was renewed for a second season. Bring it on!

Koby 04-30-21 08:16 PM

One episode in, wasn't feeling it at all.
4 episodes in, really loving the show.

So don't give up after just episode one. Not much else to say I suppose other than it just keeps getting better with each episode so far. Still haven't watched the rest yet.

johnnysd 05-03-21 12:18 PM

Loved this show. In many ways it is the first TV series that truly embraced fantasy and did not make it campy or try to make it less "hard core" fantasy. And I love it for that. Later we will have "The Wheel of Time" in a similar vein, and the success of this show will really help that one too. Really hope we get multiple seasons of this show.

DJariya 05-07-21 01:09 PM

I watched the 1st episode last night and it started out a little slow, but it ended up being pretty good. Those creatures that were in the climatic sequence looked pretty good.

I'm skeptical that this will catch on and be some pop culture sensation. With the glut of fantasy shows out there, this will probably get lost as more keeps coming out.

spainlinx0 05-07-21 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13930814)
I watched the 1st episode last night and it started out a little slow, but it ended up being pretty good. Those creatures that were in the climatic sequence looked pretty good.

I'm skeptical that this will catch on and be some pop culture sensation. With the glut of fantasy shows out there, this will probably get lost as more keeps coming out.

It's an interesting premise, and I'm in for a second season, but I agree that I just can't see this being a blockbuster sensation. I think we would hear more people talking about it by now.

actionjackson29 05-08-21 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 13930825)
It's an interesting premise, and I'm in for a second season, but I agree that I just can't see this being a blockbuster sensation. I think we would hear more people talking about it by now.

It’s still in the top 10 so it must be doing well.

[email protected] 05-08-21 09:02 PM

Just finished this, a few random thoughts:

- overall not bad (I watched all 8, and I'm not afraid to abandon something)
- good world-building, a little confusing at first but it all came together as it went on
- I thought the two leads (Alina and Mal) were kinda weak.
- By far, the rogue's gallery were MUCH better, both as actors and characters. Jasper in particular stood out as a hoot.
- These YA adaptations are getting a bit repetitious (Hunger Games, Divergent, S&B) - all feature young female leads from humble beginnings who go on to change the world. Along with the requisite angsty love triangles.
- The Nina/Matthias subplot seemed extraneous
- Set designs/costumes/effects all were quite well done. Audio was a bit rougher, needed to rewind a few sections to hear what they were saying
- Genya (Daisy Head) reminded me of Scarlett Johansson

I'll watch more seasons if they show up, but its not like I'm waiting with bated breath.

Inhumans99 05-10-21 02:08 PM

I am partway through episode 4 and while I am loving this show (it continues to get better as it goes along, which is awesome) I also feel that Alanstar's feedback is pretty spot-on. I noticed that it remained in the Netflix Top 10 this weekend which makes me hopeful we get a season 2 because I think the quality of this show may catch some by surprise and the word of mouth should be positive. Also, I had no clue about this show prior to seeing it mentioned in this thread, but I usually like to sample fantasy type shows and am glad I jumped in on this one. I am also not afraid to step away from a show I was hoping to like, I think the shows name was Cursed and I gave that show a try when it first aired but I think I did not even complete the 2nd episode and have no itch to catch up.

With this show, I started it up again yesterday afternoon and only stopped because I was getting close to needing to go to sleep.

chowderhead 05-10-21 10:20 PM

I am enjoying this show. One nitpick
Spoiler:
it seems the show has fast travel for characters when it wants to. The General sees off the skiff on one side of the Fold and he is able to meet the skiff after it reaches the other side. I don’t think Mal’s friends went with him on the skiff but they were on the other side to prevent him from going after Aliana.

minor points but still.

Superman07 05-15-21 04:08 PM

Finished up all 8 episodes. I agree it got better as the story progressed.

Id say the main weakness is actually they crammed so much content in. It felt like parts were rush, including travel time as somebody mentioned, to be able to get all the story in. I imagine the books have more content for the same plot if anybody has read those.

I’m most curious about Kaz. He seems to have a mysterious backstory, and it seemed like the General knew him.

Will watch next batch when it’s released.

meshershark 05-16-21 04:17 PM

Spoiler:
The Kaz trio are actually from another book duology, set in the same universe but after the S&B events. The showrunners created a prequel story to draw them into the series.

csant 05-18-21 11:58 AM

I really enjoyed this and looking forward to more.

RichC2 06-07-21 12:03 PM

Officially Renewed: https://deadline.com/2021/06/shadow-...ma-1234770437/

Superman07 06-07-21 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 13942817)

Oh geez - I thought it already was. Good to know - I enjoyed it more as the season went along.

Inhumans99 06-07-21 03:48 PM

Yay, I watched the Shadow and Bone afterdark Netflix show (the one where David Spade puts himself into some really bad skits involving footage from the series) and the actors certainly seemed under the impression that they were coming back for a second season but you never really know until an official announcement is made.

This show just kept getting better and better as the episodes progressed and has become one of my favorite fantasy series in years (and I have watched a lot of Fantasy series on Netflix in particular over the past 5 years, along with all the fantasy stuff that gets thrown up on network tv/basic/premium cable). If folks were waiting for a renewal to be sure that you would not be wasting your time giving this show a look now is the time to jump in.

dex14 02-17-23 12:48 PM

To stand a fighting chance against General Kirigan and his seemingly indestructible new army, Alina Starkov and Mal Oretsev rally their own powerful new allies and begin a continent-spanning journey to find two mythical creatures that will amplify her powers.

Back in Ketterdam, a chance at a deadly heist sends the Crows once again on a collision course with the legendary Sun Summoner. Shadow and Bone Season 2 premieres March 16, 2023 only on Netflix.