Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Irregulars (Netflix) -- Based on the works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - Premieres 3/26/21

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Irregulars (Netflix) -- Based on the works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - Premieres 3/26/21

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-21, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Meet The Irregulars: Bea, Jessie, Billy, Spike and Leo. Join this ragtag gang as they uncover the demonic and mysterious depths of Victorian London alongside the sinister Dr Watson and his enigmatic business partner, Sherlock Holmes. The Irregulars, only on Netflix March 26.

8 episode season

This is a supernatural series that takes place in the Sherlock Holmes universe and is based on the works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 03-26-21, 09:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The Irregulars (Netflix) -- Based on the works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - Premieres 3/26/21

Looks interesting
Old 03-26-21, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts
Re: The Irregulars (Netflix) -- Based on the works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - Premieres 3/26/21

I've been searching for a new TV series to watch on Netflix for the past week. I haven't been successful, but this looks interesting. I'll check it out.
Old 03-26-21, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
I've been searching for a new TV series to watch on Netflix for the past week. I haven't been successful, but this looks interesting. I'll check it out.
I can't imagine a world where I'm unsuccessfully searching for a show to watch. We watch a ton of TV and we always have 50+ shows we need to watch.
The following 2 users liked this post by The Questyen:
Boondock Saint (03-26-21), Pharaz (03-28-21)
Old 03-26-21, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
I can't imagine a world where I'm unsuccessfully searching for a show to watch. We watch a ton of TV and we always have 50+ shows we need to watch.
I’m very picky when choosing a TV series

If it’s a drama, has to be serialized with a unique plot - not basic cop, doctor, lawyer premise.

There’s more stipulations, but this is not the thread to go through all of them haha
Old 03-28-21, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found The Irregulars to be at times intense. It is very character-driven with you learning about each of the main characters, who they are, where it started for them, fears, interests, loves, etc. Even the "bad guys" have a fair amount of detail.

If you have watched movies and TV shows with that one character that never likes talking about their past well welcome to a whole collection of them.

I'm watching Episode 7 as I write this and I really like the show. Can't wait to see the next season.
Old 03-29-21, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I am on the third episode and I have to agree that the show does an unexpectedly good job of providing the "villains/big bad" in each episode with nuance, so you come to understand why they ended up they way they are. A pleasant surprise since this show was not really on my radar until I recently noticed the thread for it on this site. It is worth a watch.
Old 03-29-21, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

We're enjoying this as well. Good escapist fun and clever enough to keep interested.
Old 03-29-21, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Only watched episode 1, but I enjoyed it. Some parts were a bit formulaic/cliche, but good start and introduction for what appears to be interesting characters. Will keep watching!
Old 04-05-21, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

I've watched the first three episodes and am liking it so far. I enjoyed seeing The Hound as the bird guy in the first episode.
Old 04-09-21, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finished episode 5 and still really enjoying this.

I’m surprised they
Spoiler:
were allowed to include Sherlock. I figured he’d be ducking out or just off screen and you’d never see his face. I must not understand the particulars of the Holmes estate.

Regardless, I found the backstory with B and Jess’ mom very interesting. Is that character (sans powers) or role canon?

I also thought the development with Billy was interesting. They took him to the precipice of cliche, and took a left turn!

Excited to see how the next 3 episodes turn out.

Oh, and I’m assuming the white hat man
Spoiler:
is actually the big bad bird man in Jess’ dreams!
Old 04-09-21, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
Finished episode 5 and still really enjoying this.

I’m surprised they
Spoiler:
were allowed to include Sherlock. I figured he’d be ducking out or just off screen and you’d never see his face. I must not understand the particulars of the Holmes estate.

Spoiler:
As I understand it, Sherlock Holmes is now in the public domain... mostly. Some of the stories are still under copyright and cannot be used without permission, but everything else--including the character of Sherlock--is fair game. It's actually a bit more complicated than that--this article explains it: https://screenrant.com/sherlock-holm...public-domain/

Also, I read an article not long ago about the Netflix adaptation from the Enola Holmes novels, and apparently the Doyle estate is suing Netflix (and the author of the Enola Holmes books, I believe) over that movie, claiming that certain aspects of Sherlock as portrayed in the movie come from the works still under copyright. I don't remember if this is the article I originally read, but it gives a good description: https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/25/2...t-infringement
Old 04-19-21, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Spoiler:
As I understand it, Sherlock Holmes is now in the public domain... mostly. Some of the stories are still under copyright and cannot be used without permission, but everything else--including the character of Sherlock--is fair game. It's actually a bit more complicated than that--this article explains it: https://screenrant.com/sherlock-holm...public-domain/

Also, I read an article not long ago about the Netflix adaptation from the Enola Holmes novels, and apparently the Doyle estate is suing Netflix (and the author of the Enola Holmes books, I believe) over that movie, claiming that certain aspects of Sherlock as portrayed in the movie come from the works still under copyright. I don't remember if this is the article I originally read, but it gives a good description: https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/25/2...t-infringement
Yes, the circumstances involving Ebola Holmes is what prompted my comment.

I finished all 8 episodes, and felt it got even stronger towards the end. I was especially surprised they didn’t make more out of the circumstances on the main character shift.

A few musings:
Spoiler:
  1. Did we really see what Spike saw? Seemed like he was just twirling about while Billy and the Price (spin-off?!) had very vivid images.
  2. I liked how Jess handled the Linen Man.
  3. I wonder if the Linen Man mentioning his son will bear any fruit.
  4. Seems they could have made a lot more out of B killing the dentists daughter earlier in the season.

Has anybody heard word on a second series?
Old 05-04-21, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk God

https://deadline.com/2021/05/the-irr...ix-1234749852/

Cancelled.

Wow, they pulled the plug after it's been out less than 6 weeks. I guess no one was watching it.
Old 05-04-21, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://deadline.com/2021/05/the-irr...ix-1234749852/

Cancelled.

Wow, they pulled the plug after it's been out less than 6 weeks. I guess no one was watching it.
It was number on on Nielsen’s SVOD rankings. I don’t understand Netflix cancellation decisions.

Old 05-04-21, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk God

I know for myself and many here, I struggle keeping up with all these Netflix originals and I simply just don't have time to watch all the ones I would like to no matter how hard I try.

I had moderate interest in this.
Old 05-04-21, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well this is unfortunate. It wasn’t firing on all cylinders by any means, but I found the characters and plot highly enjoyable. If I had to liken it to something, I’d say Buffy season 1. Solid characters and premise, but a little rough around the edges.

Originally Posted by DJariya
I know for myself and many here, I struggle keeping up with all these Netflix originals and I simply just don't have time to watch all the ones I would like to no matter how hard I try.

I had moderate interest in this.
Id still recommend watching. The general story and plot is wrapped up. There are a few dangling threads for the characters that were setups for what could come next, but nothing major.
Old 08-19-21, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

We just finished watching this. I'm not sorry that I watched it, but it always felt as though something was missing. Can't put my finger on it.

I liked the young cast, but wasn't that keen on Sherlock and Watson.

It was cool to see Rory McCann.
Old 08-20-21, 01:53 AM

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
We just finished watching this. I'm not sorry that I watched it, but it always felt as though something was missing. Can't put my finger on it.

I liked the young cast, but wasn't that keen on Sherlock and Watson.

It was cool to see Rory McCann.
I think the problem was that they built up Holmes to be a big reveal, and he turned out to be a boring sad sack. Like you, I thought the young cast was the best thing about the show. I'd rather have just seen them, with Watson and Sherlock being mysterious figures.