Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Could "Make Me Laugh" work today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-21, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Could "Make Me Laugh" work today?

With so many gameshow revivals going on, I wouldn't mind seeing a revival of Make Me Laugh.

Make Me Laugh was an early 80s game show in which contestants picked from the audience sat before three stand-up comedians performing their acts, one at a time, with each comic running for one minute each. The contestant earned one dollar for every second that they could make it through without laughing, paltry even by those days. If a contestant succeeding in not laughing the full 3 minutes, their $180 winnings were doubled to $360. A number of then-unknown comics appeared on the show, including Bob Saget, Howie Mandel, Gallagher, Gary Mule Deer, Yakov Smirnoff, Bruce 'Babyman' Baum and Garry Shandling.

But I wonder what comedy would even be allowed with this fanatical cancel culture. Comics are already refusing to do the college circuit. Would the show work today?
Old 03-08-21, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts
Re: Could "Make Me Laugh" work today?

I used to watch Make Me Laugh. Bill Daily from the Bob Newhart Show was on, and he did one of the stupidest jokes ever that (for some reason) I have always thought was hilarious.

Can't explain it. It was visual.
Old 03-09-21, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

I watched the show off-and-on back in the day, and it was shocking to see some of these guys, -in particular Bruce Baum, -on Showtime's recent "Comedy Store" documentary, -and how they've aged. I, of course, have not aged a day.
Old 03-09-21, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I didn’t know it started in the early 80s. I remember the version on Comedy Central though.
Old 03-09-21, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Doubtful no one has a sense of humor anymore.
Old 03-09-21, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

If this show were made today, it would spend the bulk of the time on the contestants' sob stories, with at most two bits of comedy per episode.
Old 03-09-21, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

In it's day this show could be pretty decent, but obviously depended a lot on the comics in the episode. But...
Originally Posted by d2cheer
Doubtful no one has a sense of humor anymore.
True.
Originally Posted by bralph
If this show were made today, it would spend the bulk of the time on the contestants' sob stories, with at most two bits of comedy per episode.
Double true.

Plus all the comics would need to do is make any stupid joke about some approved target and the contestant would be forced to laugh like an idiot or face being taken apart by goons from whatever imbecilic social media community is favored that day.
Old 03-09-21, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

It absolutely would and does work today. There's a whole series on YouTube "Try not to laugh" videos. It's the same concept only with funny YouTube videos and minus the money.