DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Allen v. Farrow (HBO Max) - 4-Part Docuseries, Premiers 2/21/21 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/652436-allen-v-farrow-hbo-max-4-part-docuseries-premiers-2-21-21-a.html)

Decker 02-18-21 05:33 PM

Allen v. Farrow (HBO Max) - 4-Part Docuseries, Premiers 2/21/21

The four-part documentary series Allen v. Farrow, from award-winning investigative filmmakers Kirby Dick, Amy Ziering and Amy Herdy, goes behind the years of sensational headlines to reveal the private story of one Hollywood's most notorious and public scandals: the accusation of sexual abuse against Woody Allen involving Dylan, his then 7-year-old daughter with Mia Farrow; their subsequent custody trial, the revelation of Allen’s relationship with Farrow’s daughter, Soon-Yi; and the controversial aftermath in the years that followed.

Along with new investigative work — pieced together via intimate home movie footage, court documents, police evidence, revelatory videotape and never-before-heard audio tapes — the series includes exclusive interviews on the subject with Mia Farrow, Dylan Farrow, Ronan Farrow, family friend Carly Simon, prosecutor Frank Maco, relatives, investigators and experts.

Allen v. Farrow also examines the effects of trauma on a family, and features prominent cultural voices exploring Allen's body of work in a broader context and reflecting on how public revelations about the personal lives of artists can lead to re-evaluations of their work.

HBO Documentary Films presents in association with Impact Partners and Chicago Media Project a Jane Doe Films Production. Directed by Kirby Dick and Amy Ziering; produced by Amy Herdy and Jamie Rogers; executive produced by Kirby Dick, Amy Ziering, Dan Cogan, Tara Lynda Guber, Regina K. Scully, Maiken Baird, Ian Darling, Steve Cohen & Paula Froehle,The Lozen Foundation, Debbie L. McLeod, Jenny Raskin, Geralyn White Dreyfous; edited by Mikaela Shwer and Parker Laramie; music by Michael Abels.

Decker 02-18-21 05:38 PM

Re: Allen v. Farrow (HBO Max) - 4-Part Docuseries, Premiers 2/21/21

Personally, I am highly skeptical of this docuseries. I like most HBO docs and will give this one a chance. But it sounds like this one is very one-sided and apparently dismisses the first hand accounts of brother Moses Farrow, who recalls the events while focusing on testimony of Ronan Farrow who is an outstanding journalist, but was too young to remember anything in this situation.

Though I have posted it once before, I will once again post this much-less elaborate 2 1/2 hour documentary here as a counterpoint. At least watch the first 20 minutes before you decide one way or the other in this case.

dex14 02-18-21 06:19 PM

Yes, very one sided.

Worth reading piece by Robert B. Weide: https://ronanfarrowletter.wordpress....A1QfdvYXopxzA4

dhmac 02-19-21 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13893507)
Yes, very one sided.

Worth reading piece by Robert B. Weide: https://ronanfarrowletter.wordpress....A1QfdvYXopxzA4

I like this quote from that blog posting: "Just ask yourself why the Farrows keep trying their case in the media and the court of public opinion, rather than a court of law?"

Decker 02-19-21 12:39 PM

Not only does he direct readers to that same documentary that I posted above, he also mentions that it's far less stylish than the HBO one. :lol:

Hokeyboy 02-19-21 12:58 PM

Nothing more than a hit piece on Allen. Will they mention the physical and emotional abuse she inflicted upon her children (see Moses's blog A Son Speaks Out for more), the history of mental illness in Farrow's family, the kids who committed suicide? Hmm signs point to no.

Decker 02-19-21 03:02 PM

My daughter sent me this link to the LA Times review. This is probably typical of most reviews of the show : buying the allegations hook, line and sinker. Most telling in the review is the statement that no filmmakers came to defend Allen, when we see from that previous link that dex posted that a prominent Woody defender and filmmaker Robert Weide was openly asking why he wasn't approached for the story.

dex14 02-19-21 03:08 PM

The hardest moment to get through in the entire four-hour series, though, is a video of 7-year-old Dylan, shot by her mother on the family’s camcorder, describing what happened when Allen “hid” with her up in the attic of their Connecticut country home and touched her “private parts.” She’s a young grade-schooler with messy summer hair, baby teeth and a cute pot belly. She’s upset telling her story. She’s even mad.”

I know the first thing I would do is to try and get my kid’s confession on the family video camera if this happened to me. No way that could be coerced. :sarcasm:

Decker 02-19-21 03:35 PM

She’s upset telling her story. She’s even mad.
Well that certainly proves it happened and couldn't possibly be at all related to her being repeatedly coached and quizzed about the 15 minute interval in question, right? :sarcasm:

majorjoe23 02-19-21 03:47 PM

I keep reading this as Alien v Farrow.

dex14 02-19-21 04:00 PM

I wonder if the documentary will mention how Mia’s brother is currently serving time for child sex abuse.

OldBoy 02-21-21 03:03 PM

what time EST does this begin?

Decker 02-21-21 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by oldboy (Post 13894818)
what time est does this begin?

9 et / 6 pt

OldBoy 02-21-21 04:38 PM

Ty. But, once eps air, they’ll be available anytime, thereafter, correct?

Decker 02-21-21 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13894849)
Ty. But, once eps air, they’ll be available anytime, thereafter, correct?

Yes. Everything on HBO : HBO Max is like that (ever since they stopped broadcasting prize fights).

MrX 02-21-21 09:05 PM

HBO docs are usually always well done, but I was starting to doze off about halfway through this one.

TomOpus 02-21-21 09:20 PM

Started episode 1. I guess it'll be one episode at a time.

dex14 02-22-21 03:35 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...8589a05073.jpg

JeffTheAlpaca 02-22-21 06:55 PM

This reminds me of the Michael Jackson doc on HBO that aired a couple of years ago.

clckworang 02-23-21 12:39 AM

I watched the first episode. As said, it reminded me of the Michael Jackson documentary, but there was something about this one that just felt more off to me. I kept feeling like there was something about Mia.

Anyway, it bothered me enough that I watched the other documentary discussed here, and it touched on my same feeling, which was that feeling of Mia giving a performance. It also brought up something else that always bothered me. The attention Ronan Farrow got for the Weinstein story bothered me for two reasons. First, I've worked in news, and I believe the reporter should not be the story. Yet he was on every show giving interviews, making himself the thing. The other problematic thing was that it was still putting a man's face on a woman's story, still an element of knight saving damsel.

I do think most people are uneducated about the case and Woody Allen in general. I still watch and enjoy his films, always been a big fan. I'm still debating whether I'll continue watching this.

JeffTheAlpaca 02-23-21 02:50 AM

It always seemed the media took Mia's side and never gave Woody the benefit of the doubt.

Ringmaster 02-23-21 08:18 PM

I just finished watching the first episode. I never knew Mia Farrow had adopted so many children! It might be nothing, but my honest reaction was I thought that was a little weird that someone would have so many kids.

As to whether Allen is guilty or not, nothing so far has convinced me one way or another. Guess we'll see how the rest of the episodes turn out.

​​​​

Decker 02-24-21 12:41 AM

This episode was just set-up. That said it at least looks very, very bad that Woody agreed to go to a therapist because he seemed inappropriate in public with Dylan. I still think this is too one-sided, and am really interested in seeing the meat of the docuseries in the next two episodes, but what has been shown so far is probably really bad for his legacy.

TomOpus 02-24-21 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13895491)
It always seemed the media took Mia's side and never gave Woody the benefit of the doubt.

Well, when Woody is asked about a response, he (his lawyer) just issues a statement.

dex14 02-24-21 08:23 AM