Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Harry Potter Wizarding World series coming to HBO

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-21, 10:49 AM

Received 5,083 Likes on 3,438 Posts
Harry Potter Wizarding World series coming to HBO

A “Harry Potter” series is in very early development at HBO Max, Variety has learned from sources.

Rumors that a show set within the wizarding world have persisted for some time. Now it seems those plans are moving ahead, though no writers or talent are currently attached to the project. There is no word yet on what the focus of the show would be or what part of the “Harry Potter” timeline it would focus on should it move ahead.

Variety has reached out to HBO Max and Warner Bros. for comment and will update should they respond.

The “Harry Potter” book series is one of the most popular of all time, with the seven books in the series having sold over 500 million copies worldwide. They were then adapted into a hit eight-film franchise, which has grossed nearly $8 billion worldwide. There have also been two films to date in the prequel spinoff “Fantastic Beasts” film series, with the third of five planned films due out in 2022.
Old 01-25-21, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,153 Posts
re: Harry Potter Wizarding World series coming to HBO

I would love to get an animated series, similar to The Clone Wars, that runs for seven or more seasons, covering the First Wizarding War (the original conflict against Voldemort that involved Harry's parents).
Old 01-25-21, 02:23 PM
Cool New Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would definitely prefer this to be a prequel with Voldemort, Harry parents etc
Old 01-25-21, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm down for more Harry Potter-verse. I'd be fine if it was practically entirely unrelated to the events of the film and simply set in the same world. Just needs a good cast.
Old 01-25-21, 05:55 PM
Banned

Received 378 Likes on 296 Posts

Rather a Books of Magic series. I assume they own the rights to this as well since it was a Vertigo title.
Old 01-25-21, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 271 Posts

I definitely don't want a prequel. I hate prequels. With so many students at Hogwarts, give us a new story in the same universe.
Old 04-03-23, 07:17 PM

Oh boy…

Warner Bros. Discovery is looking to close a deal to produce a “Harry Potter” television series.

According to Bloomberg, which was first to report news of recent talks surrounding the project, the project would be directly based on J.K. Rowling’s best-selling book series, rather than an in-universe spinoff such as the “Fantastic Beasts” film series. Each season would reportedly draw from one of the books, suggesting an ongoing franchise that would stretch for years for the studio.

Sources close to the situation suggest that talks between Warner Bros. Discovery and Rowling’s camp remain in a preliminary state. The studio is looking to house the series under its streaming banner HBO Max, soon to be combined with Discovery+ and rebranded under a new name.
https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/har...al-1235572610/
Old 04-03-23, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 7,196 Likes on 4,892 Posts

Actually that seems really smart to me. You could use a Game of Thrones type model, give it the full Prestige TV treatment. One season per early book, maybe two per later in the series. You'd have a decade of material to use. It's not like the movies are so well made you could never revisit the material again.
Old 04-03-23, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 745 Likes on 450 Posts

In the past this is exactly what I wanted as I love the books and feel the movies could have been better. Now I have no interest in anything Rowling created going forward.

Although, when they announce a black Harry Potter and Asian Hermione the internet will be fun. Maybe throw in Dumbledore being gay since Rowling has mentioned it in the past.

WOKE the living shit out of this please.

Last edited by stvn1974; 04-03-23 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-04-23, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

I'd be down for this. I enjoyed the books immensely, and the films only touched on portions of them. Plenty of other stories to tell.
Old 04-08-23, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 821 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974

Although, when they announce a black Harry Potter and Asian Hermione the internet will be fun. Maybe throw in Dumbledore being gay since Rowling has mentioned it in the past.

WOKE the living shit out of this please.
When the play was first performed, wasn't there initial outcry over a black woman playing Hermione and Rowling rebuked the complainers by pointing out she never once identified Hermione's race or even skin tone in the books?
Old 04-08-23, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RocShemp
When the play was first performed, wasn't there initial outcry over a black woman playing Hermione and Rowling rebuked the complainers by pointing out she never once identified Hermione's race or even skin tone in the books?
I am pretty sure that Hermione is only described as having bushy brown hair and large front teeth. In the original versions of the books there are drawing before some of the chapters and Hermione is shown in a few.
Old 04-08-23, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If they really want to stir shit up, they should cast a mixed-race trans girl as Hermione.

It would be fascinating to see what Rowling's reaction would be to having her stay in the girls' dorms and using the girls' bathrooms.

The following users liked this post:
stvn1974 (04-08-23)
Old 04-08-23, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

She looks white to me.

I don't care either way, I just want to be entertained by the nut jobs losing their shit online.
Old 04-08-23, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stvn1974
She looks white to me.

I don't care either way, I just want to be entertained by the nut jobs losing their shit online.
It's fairly obvious that Rowling meant for Hermione to be Caucasian. That's how she appeared in all of the art done by both Rowling and others, they cast a white girl in the movies. Seems like something she would have discussed with the casting director.

In The Prisoner of Azkaban, there as a reference to Hermione looking "very brown," but it was pretty obviously a reference to her becoming suntanned on holiday.

Harry woke on the last day of the holidays, thinking that he would at least meet Ron and Hermione tomorrow, on the Hogwarts Express. He got up, dressed, went for a last look at the Firebolt, and was just wondering where he’d have lunch, when someone yelled his name and he turned.

‘Harry! HARRY!’

They were there, both of them, sitting outside Florean Fortescue’s Ice-Cream Parlour, Ron looking incredibly freckly, Hermione very brown, both waving frantically at him.

‘Finally!’ said Ron, grinning at Harry as he sat down. ‘We went to the Leaky Cauldron, but they said you’d left, and we went to Flourish and Blotts, and Madam Malkin’s, and –’

‘I got all my school stuff last week,’ Harry explained. ‘And how come you know I’m staying at the Leaky Cauldron?’
It seems quite obvious that the "brown" is a reference to be suntanned, and not to her natural skin color. At any rate, it would probably be seen as at least somewhat offensive to refer to her looking "very brown" if that was her natural skin color.

And then, later in the same book:

‘One moment, please, Macnair,’ came Dumbledore’s voice. ‘You need to sign, too.’ The footsteps stopped. Harry heaved on the rope. Buckbeak snapped his beak and walked a little faster.

Hermione’s white face was sticking out from behind a tree.

‘Harry, hurry!’ she mouthed.

Harry could still hear Dumbledore’s voice talking from within the cabin. He gave the rope another wrench. Buckbeak broke into a grudging trot. They had reached the trees…
There's nothing inherently wrong with colorblind casting, especially in the theater, but it's eye-rolling for Rowling to claim that she didn't conceive as the character being Caucasian.

And, with the Potter franchise, it the casting for Hermione really stands out when everyone else -- Harry, Ron, Ginny, and Draco -- look exactly like their film counterparts, who have become the models for their respective characters.

And, on a related note, I really wish I had put together a metal band and called it Black Hermione back in the early 90s.

Old 04-12-23, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,457 Likes on 992 Posts

I guess this is one way to keep people subscribed. New series will be a decade long.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/4/12/2...bo-warner-bros
Old 06-26-24, 09:36 AM

The Harry Potter television series is starting to take shape.

Succession duo Francesca Gardiner and Mark Mylod have signed up as its writer and director, respectively.

This comes four months after Deadline revealed that Gardiner was one of three finalists to win the prize to reboot the classic kids franchise for the small screen. Gardiner beat Tom Moran and Kathleen Jordan to win the gig.

Gardiner, who was a consulting producer on seasons three and four of the Brian Cox-led family drama, will serve as showrunner and exec producer, while Mylod, who directed over a dozen episodes of the show, including episodes such as the second episode, Sh*t Show at the F*ck Factory, and the finale, With Open Eyes, will direct multiple episodes and also exec produce.

It comes after it emerged that Harry Potter was moving from a Max original to an HBO original as part of a strategy rethink at the Warner Bros. Discovery business. The series is slated for a 2026 bow.

The series, which is currently still in development, will be a “faithful” adaptation of J.K. Rowling’s books and will feature a new cast.

Harry Potter is produced by Warner Bros. Television and Rowling’s Brontë Film and TV. Rowling, Neil Blair and Ruth Kenley-Letts of Brontë Film and TV will exec produce alongside Gardiner and Mylod as well as David Heyman of Heyday Films, who produced the movies.

Before working on Jesse Armstrong creation Succession, Gardiner was an exec producer of HBO and BBC fantasy co-production His Dark Materials and was a co-exec producer of AMC’s Killing Eve. She has also written on shows including Starz’s The Rook and Amazon’s The Man In The High Castle.

Mylod’s other credits include the Minority Report series, Backstrom, Shameless and Entourage.
https://deadline.com/2024/06/harry-p...or-1235983341/
Old 06-26-24, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 7,196 Likes on 4,892 Posts
Re: Harry Potter Wizarding World series coming to HBO

Interesting. Obviously those are hugely accomplished show runners. HBO must be fully aware of the immense amount of scrutiny it will draw from Rowling involvement. I wonder how they plan to respond to it in such a high profile project.
Weird that the article didn't mention that Mylod recently directed the acclaimed movie The Menu, which starred Lord Voldemort himself, Ralph Fiennes.
Old 06-26-24, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
Interesting. Obviously those are hugely accomplished show runners. HBO must be fully aware of the immense amount of scrutiny it will draw from Rowling involvement. I wonder how they plan to respond to it in such a high profile project.
Rowling's TERFy proclivities seem to, for the most part, be an internet teapot tempest at the moment. I'd say that the majority of the people in the States don't really follow these things, and it's probably a bigger story in the UK where she's directly attempting to influence policy.

And, I hate to say it, but over here, there are probably more people who would agree with her than not, and a lot who won't care either way, but it's still a minefield that HBO/MAX might have to walk through at some point.

I kind of wonder how they're going to play up the DEI angle... Black Hermione? (And, goddamn, that would have been awesome name for a metal band before the HP books hit big!) Trans Luna? (JKR would love that!) Give Cho Chang a name that doesn't sound like it was made up by a white person?
Old 06-26-24, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,275 Posts

A series about the Founders of Hogwarts would be cool. There are some good info videos about them on Youtube but I think I'd dig a series.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 06-27-24 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-26-24, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
A series about the Founders of Hogwarts would be cool. There are some good info videos about them on Youtube but I think I've dig a series.
I've thought about that before; at least as flashback sequences in something else.

Already have my dream cast: Tom Baker as Godric Gryffindor, Patrick Stewart as Salazar Slytherin, Carrie Fisher Natalie Portman as Rowena Ravenclaw, and Sigourney Weaver as Helga Hufflepuff. (Spot the pattern...)
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (06-27-24)