Search this Thread

Old 01-17-21, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Batwoman (CW) -- Season 2 -- Premieres 1/17/21

SUNDAY, JANUARY 17

SEASON PREMIERE

BATWOMAN

"What Happened to Kate Kane?" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, DLV) (HDTV)

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN - Kate's friends and family hold on to hope that Kate may still be found, a homeless 25-year-old named Ryan Wilder (Javicia Leslie) stumbles upon Kate's Batsuit. Focused on no longer being a victim, Ryan takes the suit to use as armor and goes rogue in the streets of Gotham, taking out various members of a new gang called the False Face Society. Meanwhile, both Jacob Kane (Dougray Scott) and Luke Fox (Camrus Johnson) launch searches for Kate, Mary Hamilton (Nicole Kang) grapples with losing yet another family member, Sophie Moore (Meagan Tandy) struggles with things left unsaid to her first love, and Alice (Rachel Skarsten) is furious that someone got to Kate before she could exact her revenge. At the same time, "Bruce Wayne" (guest star Warren Christie) returns under the pretense of searching for Kate, but the truth is he wants his suit back and it becomes the clash of imposters as "Batwoman" and "Bruce" square off in the action-packed season premiere. Holly Dale directed the episode written by Caroline Dries (#201). Original airdate 1/17/2021. Every episode of BATWOMAN will be available to stream on The CW App and CWTV.com the day after broadcast for free and without a subscription, log-in or authentication required.

Read more: Listings - BATWOMAN on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com Listings - BATWOMAN on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com

Season 2 starts tonight. New lead. Javicia Leslie, who starred in God friended Me.

I know a lot of you bailed on season 1. It's currently on HBO Max. But, if you want a recap, here's an 8 1/2 minute recap. It's edited footage from season 1 with no narration.

Here's the trailer for season 2

Old 01-17-21, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
Re: Batwoman (CW) -- Season 2 -- Premieres 1/17/21

I bailed about 2 thirds in last season.
Seeing at the beginning of s2 e1 it looks like they did another face swap and made another fake Bruce Wayne?
This is what was done on Gotham too wasn’t it?
Old 01-18-21, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk God

I finished watching it. I admit, I missed the last 5-6 episodes of season 1, but I was able to follow it pretty well. In a way, it felt like a light reset of the show. This show has been very divisive so who knows if this reset will work for those on the fence.

Javicia/Ryan was fine for the most part. However, I thought getting her into the mix was a little sloppy & rushed. I did follow Crisis last season and it looked like they were setting up these events shortly after it since Kate was supposedly returning to Gotham from National city after her meeting with Kara. Her just "disappearing" after that plane crash wasn't really staged that well or really made much sense.

And I had to at Tommy playing fake Bruce Wayne. Warren Christie was so miscast as Bruce even though it wasn't him. The Batmobile looked like any other sportscar.

I do like Javicia Leslie after seeing 2 seasons of her on God Friended Me. So I would like to give her a chance to get into this character. So the Kryptonite that Kate took from Kara is now stuck in Ryan's chest or part of it.

Old 01-18-21, 11:10 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Got a massive .1 last night.

Going woke didn’t help this show
Old 01-18-21, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

JFC give it a rest already. We get it. You are an angry white guy.
The following 5 users liked this post by Deftones:
DJariya (01-18-21), Giantrobo (01-18-21), Hokeyboy (01-18-21), Red Hood (01-18-21), The Antipodean (01-19-21)
Old 01-18-21, 12:12 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Deftones
JFC give it a rest already. We get it. You are an angry white guy.
Are you super woke?

All of this is backfiring. The Rookie is getting panned and low ratings. Same with the CW and this move (which is a shame since she is a great actress, unlike Ruby Rose).

Old 01-18-21, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

She played this a lot lighter than I thought she would and I think it works. I can tell the energy/vibe with the cast has already changed for the better.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (01-18-21)
Old 01-18-21, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I finished watching it. I admit, I missed the last 5-6 episodes of season 1, but I was able to follow it pretty well. In a way, it felt like a light reset of the show. This show has been very divisive so who knows if this reset will work for those on the fence.

Javicia/Ryan was fine for the most part. However, I thought getting her into the mix was a little sloppy & rushed. I did follow Crisis last season and it looked like they were setting up these events shortly after it since Kate was supposedly returning to Gotham from National city after her meeting with Kara. Her just "disappearing" after that plane crash wasn't really staged that well or really made much sense.

And I had to at Tommy playing fake Bruce Wayne. Warren Christie was so miscast as Bruce even though it wasn't him. The Batmobile looked like any other sportscar.

I do like Javicia Leslie after seeing 2 seasons of her on God Friended Me. So I would like to give her a chance to get into this character. So the Kryptonite that Kate took from Kara is now stuck in Ryan's chest or part of it.
I fully expected her to go in Gung Ho and get her ass kicked. She will now need to downshift and work/train with the team to up her game.

I thought she took the bullet out and gave it to Lucius? But we have seen Kryptonite leave poison/radiation in people before.

To Fake Bruce Wayne pulling a 3sum. Shit, why not?

how they linked Ryan to Alice. Alice is still one of THE best things about this show.
Old 01-18-21, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk God

https://www.ign.com/articles/batwoma...?sf136350416=1

IGN gave it a favorable review and thought Javicia's debut was a promising start. Most of the stuff mentioned here I agree with, especially how they need to better juggle the ensemble cast.
Old 01-18-21, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by gizmo
are you super woke?

All of this is backfiring. The rookie is getting panned and low ratings. Same with the cw and this move (which is a shame since she is a great actress, unlike ruby rose).
nobody cares go away
The following 2 users liked this post by Deftones:
Giantrobo (01-18-21), majorjoe23 (01-18-21)
Old 01-18-21, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

The new actress can act better than Ruby Rose, but I didn't like the coincidences: Ryan just happened to be in the right spot when the Batsuit fell out of the sky; and Ryan moved her mom into an apartment filled with squatters that just happened to belong to Alice's gang. I wish they had done away with Alice rather than trying to establish a link to Ryan. Both Bruce and Kate trained for years before putting on the suit. What about Ryan? Glad Kate's dad and ex finally learned she was Batwoman. I agree the Batmobile looked like your average sports car. Nothing special other than the weapons. Do you think Kate was on the plane? Considering how hurt she was after her dad betrayed Batwoman in the S1 finale, I wouldn't be surprised if she staged her death. Wish fake Bruce were sticking around longer.
Old 01-18-21, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
I bailed about 2 thirds in last season.
Seeing at the beginning of s2 e1 it looks like they did another face swap and made another fake Bruce Wayne?
This is what was done on Gotham too wasn’t it?
I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m remembering wrong, but “Bruce” is actually the villain Hush.
Old 01-18-21, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
The new actress can act better than Ruby Rose, but I didn't like the coincidences: Ryan just happened to be in the right spot when the Batsuit fell out of the sky; and Ryan moved her mom into an apartment filled with squatters that just happened to belong to Alice's gang. I wish they had done away with Alice rather than trying to establish a link to Ryan. Both Bruce and Kate trained for years before putting on the suit. What about Ryan? Glad Kate's dad and ex finally learned she was Batwoman. I agree the Batmobile looked like your average sports car. Nothing special other than the weapons. Do you think Kate was on the plane? Considering how hurt she was after her dad betrayed Batwoman in the S1 finale, I wouldn't be surprised if she staged her death. Wish fake Bruce were sticking around longer.
Ryan's caseworker mentioned that she had martial arts training when she was talking to her and asked about it. I do agree with your observations that there were a few too many coincidences so that's why I thought her introduction was a little sloppy.
Old 01-18-21, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m remembering wrong, but “Bruce” is actually the villain Hush.
Yes fake Bruce was Tommy Elliott who was introduced last season.
Old 01-18-21, 01:59 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Deftones
nobody cares go away
Solid response.

New actress. Soft reboot. And it comes back to terrible ratings.

With CW already ending two other DC shows, this one is safe for at least another 2 seasons. How low will it go?
Old 01-18-21, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

It's my understanding that the ratings really don't matter anymore for CW - almost all of their shows are co-financing deals and the shows are more or less paid for before they air. Airing them on the CW is little more than a way for them to gain exposure and build the brand. That's why they survive with virtually no ratings. The studio is basically handing them free shows at this point.
Old 01-18-21, 02:36 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's my understanding that the ratings really don't matter anymore for CW - almost all of their shows are co-financing deals and the shows are more or less paid for before they air. Airing them on the CW is little more than a way for them to gain exposure and build the brand. That's why they survive with virtually no ratings. The studio is basically handing them free shows at this point.
During the Netflix days, yes. CW was guaranteed x amount per episode per show. It’s why so many kept getting renewed. That was a really lucrative deal for CW.

That deal ended last year and Nancy Drew, Batwoman and Katy were sold to other outlets. Other shows already on the air fall under that Netflix deal (All American and Roswell, as an example)

Now If a “streamer” (now HBO Max, CBS AA) doesn’t want future seasons, or they underperform, the shows are likely a goner.

Katy streamed on HBO Max, and even though CW paid and commission 13 additional scripts, they still cancelled the show because it was not living up to HBO Max numbers. Nancy Drew apparently did.

CW seems to be moving away from so much DC dare, finally, but this show is safe with Superwomen ending.
Old 01-18-21, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

I probably won’t make it more then a few episodes just like last season.
The Batmobile looks like it is just a Recent model corvette.

Now Gotham is wondering where Batman, Bruce Wayne, Batgirl and whatever Batgirl’s real name are.

Alice is boring.

The show is filmed without any lighting.

New batgirl is some random woman who coincidentally also happens to be gay and knows martial arts?

I just would like it more if they used characters for the Batman main universe and not these side characters.

Old 01-19-21, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I wonder if the Tommy as Bruce was supposed to last longer yet wanted to get it out of the way as quickly as possible. (Which is fine overall)
Old 01-19-21, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

I was so hoping that Alice would be written off. She bogs down the entire show IMO.
will travel (01-21-21)
Old 01-20-21, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I bailed half way into season 1. From the sounds of things in this thread it doesn't seem like season 2 has improved any.
Old 01-20-21, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I just think it's funny that the show got a 0.1 rating opening week, yet this thread is one of the more popular TV show threads in this forum? I wonder if the people at DVDTalk are all of that 0.1 rating?
Old 01-20-21, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

It's a popular punching bag. You.tube is filled with videos trashing the show and crowing over the failure of it's comeback. The failure of the current "Doctor Who" and the Johnny Depp/Amber Heard legal dramas are also popular topics that most people aren't particularly aware of.
Giantrobo (01-20-21)
Old 01-20-21, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Koby
I bailed half way into season 1. From the sounds of things in this thread it doesn't seem like season 2 has improved any.
It was 1 episode. Just an introduction to the new character.

I don’t expect anyone who quit season 1 to come back if it didn’t work for you. There’s a lot of TV and barely enough time in the day to keep up with it.
Old 01-20-21, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
I don't believe the creative staff has changed, and that's where the problem is. There does seem to be a problem writing coherent hour-long episodes with a solid structure while maintaining an ongoing storyline. And now they've been handed a challenge that could make them focus and improve the show, or just make it even more of a mess.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.