Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Vikings - Season 6 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-19, 11:58 AM

Received 4,639 Likes on 3,141 Posts
Vikings - Season 6 Thread

EXCLUSIVE: History’s flagship scripted series Vikings will be ending its run after the upcoming 20-episode sixth season.

As the hit drama is wrapping, History, Vikings creator Michael Hirst and studio MGM Television, are looking to extend the Vikings franchise with a new series. I’ve learned that the network is in talks with MGM and Hirst about a new series from the same creative team as the original series, which would continue the Vikings saga. If the offshoot project, which is in early stages, moves forward, Hirst will be joined by feature writer Jeb Stuart (Die Hard, The Fugitive).

Vikings, which will end its run after a total of 89 episodes, is currently halfway through airing the back 10 episodes of its 20-episode fifth season, with the finale slated for Jan. 30. The series recently wrapped production on the final sixth season, which is expected to debut later this year, with the last episodes likely airing in 2020. A rep for History confirmed to Deadline that Vikings is coming to an end, providing no further details.

Created and executive produced by Hirst, who has written every episode, Vikings has been a legacy show for History. It marked the network’s first foray into ongoing scripted series. Vikings was a breakout ratings hit when it debuted in 2013 and remains History’s #1 scripted series of all time, successfully overcoming a number of cast changes, including the exit of original lead, Travis Fimmel, whose character Ragnar Lothbrok’s story arc came to an end in Season 4.Vikings originally set out to follow the adventures of Ragnar Lothbrok (Fimmel) and tell the sagas of Ragnar’s band of Viking brothers and his family. Because it was based on actual historical figures and events, Vikings had a finite number of stories to tell, and had been building towards an end, set by Hirst as the creative mastermind behind the series. History has been beefing up its scripted roster over the last couple of years. Its next scripted drama, Project Blue Book from Robert Zemeckis and A+E Studios, premieres January 8. Knightfall returns for a second season in the spring.Vikings also has been an important show for MGM TV. It marked the first series order for the company as it was rebuilding itself post-bankruptcy. The TV studio has ramped up its portfolio since; it also includes the Emmy winning The Handmaid’s Tale and Fargo.Hirst, who also created The Tudors and co-created Camelot, has a first-look deal at MGM for his production company and has been working on new series projects, including an Ancient Rome drama he has been developing with Martin Scorsese, which has been eyed by MGM-owned network Epix.Stuart is currently in business with History sibling A+E Studios as creator, writer and executive producer of animated World War II drama series The Liberator, which was recently picked up by Netflix.
https://deadline.com/2019/01/vikings...tv-1202528772/
Old 12-30-20, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Re: Vikings (History) -- Season 5 Thread -- Premieres 11/29/17

The last 10 episodes of season 6 are now up on Amazon Prime.
Old 12-31-20, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Vikings (History) -- Season 5 Thread -- Premieres 11/29/17

Glad to have it back. This would be the final 10 episodes. Haven't started yet, but eager.

This was the first "period war series" I ever got into. It's been a popular genre since the success of this show, Having only one writer for the whole series was a gamble that paid off pretty well.
Old 12-31-20, 02:32 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 268 Likes on 203 Posts
Re: Vikings - Season 6 Thread

I watched the first episode, in the post-Ragnar run this wasn’t a bad epiesode.

Not sure how they can fill the rest of the season and make it interesting.

Spoiler:
Taxidermied Bjorn at the end did make me chuckle

Old 12-31-20, 11:16 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Second episode is back to the slog the show has been the last couple of years,
Old 01-01-21, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 396 Likes on 283 Posts

I think that is speaks volumes that this thread has had so few posts in three years. The show got unwatchable quickly when Ragnar died. Amazing what a turn this show took without him.
Old 01-02-21, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Don't know when I'll get around to watching but I just finished reading a great history of the Vikings called "The Children of Ash and Elm" which reinforces just how much of this show is set in actual history or at least the pseudo-history of Viking lore.
Old 01-04-21, 04:41 AM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love this Tv show, one of the best in my opinion. I enjoyed all seasons
Old 01-05-21, 09:03 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

I’m halfway through and it’s as bad as I expected.

Spoiler:
The Rus were built up as an immense threat and they turned out to be nothing close to that.

I could not care less about what’s going on in Kattegat.

The Greenland story is also a giant waste of time.

It seems pretty obvious Ubbe ends up in North America and the other two sons of Ragnar don’t have anyplace to go other than back to England

Old 01-24-21, 01:46 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Finished it this morning.

They should have just abandoned the Kattegat part when Harald and Ivar left for England. I guess all the speculation that Erik was Erik the Red was wrong.

Ubbe and his group in North America was something they could have spent more time on, instead of wasting time with them in the boat. Good to see Floki again.

Not sure what to make of the ominous music played during Hvitserk’s baptism.

Old 01-24-21, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
Not sure what to make of the ominous music played during Hvitserk’s baptism.
I think it was a moment that connected him to Ragnar who went through a similar process, and cemented him as a "Son of Ragnar." Also he was given the name Aethelstan, which was Alfred's father/Ragnar's buddy. And, now that he is a Prince of Wessex he continues the Ragnar legacy in the "new world" of England and commences his own story, one that he never really had in the "old world." Basically, I think it is meant to convey that the Saga of Hvitserk is just beginning in earnest.