DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Mandalorian: Chapter 16: The Rescue (S2E8) - Season Finale - 12/18/20 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/652018-mandalorian-chapter-16-rescue-s2e8-season-finale-12-18-20-a.html)

Mike86 12-17-20 11:26 PM

The Mandalorian: Chapter 16: The Rescue (S2E8) - Season Finale - 12/18/20

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...02e888bc82.png
Episode 8 Synopsis: The Mandalorian and the Child continue their journey through a dangerous galaxy.

Sad that it’s already the season finale and we have another year to wait for a third season. These eight episode seasons fly by. Overall a good season thus far though, and I look forward to the finale.

GoldenJCJ 12-17-20 11:51 PM

re: The Mandalorian: Chapter 16: The Rescue (S2E8) - Season Finale- 12/18/20

In honor of the season finale:

mapasu 12-18-20 02:51 AM

That was amazing, talk about giving the fans what they want.

candyrocket786 12-18-20 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by mapasu (Post 13859792)
That was amazing, talk about giving the fans what they want.

This episode pretty much gave The Finger to Rian Johnson and The Sequel Trilogy.

Well done.

T-bone22 12-18-20 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by candyrocket786 (Post 13859793)
This episode pretty much gave The Finger to Rian Johnson and The Sequel Trilogy.

Well done.

I thought the exact same thing. Watching this just made me think how bad the sequel trilogy really was compared to this show. Fucking incredible episode.

outcastja 12-18-20 03:06 AM

I was upset we didn't get the usual art drawings end credits, but the post credits sure made up for it. Such a surprise since it wasn't announced as the upcoming Star Wars series. Wonder if the Mando story over and it moves on to Book of Boba.

Damn so much to look forward too.

LorenzoL 12-18-20 03:07 AM

This was such a filler....

of explosive goodness!

OH my goodness! The fan boy in me was ecstatic! The special effects doesn’t look quite right still but it’s still awesome. The taking down of the Dark troopers was just amazing!

Now bring on Season 3!

LorenzoL 12-18-20 03:13 AM

How can you say no to more adventures with Boba and Fennec! That was a quick cameo by Bib Fortuna. So was “The Book of Boba Fett” one of those titles that they announced and I missed it? I don’t remember hearing about it.

T-bone22 12-18-20 03:19 AM

I gotta admit, I may have shed a tear when Mando took off his mask.

T-bone22 12-18-20 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL (Post 13859799)
How can you say no to more adventures with Boba and Fennec! That was a quick cameo by Bib Fortuna. So was “The Book of Boba Fett” one of those titles that they announced and I missed it? I don’t remember hearing about it.

I think that they kept it on the DL and this was the reveal.

outcastja 12-18-20 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by T-bone22 (Post 13859801)
I think that they kept it on the DL and this was the reveal.

They did announce The Mandalorian Season 3 coming December 2021. So I assume Season 3 is really the Book of Boba. I doubt Disney will overlap two shows in the same month.

I think Chapter 16 is the end of the "Book 1". Boba is Book 2.

T-bone22 12-18-20 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by outcastja (Post 13859802)
They did announce The Mandalorian Season 3 coming December 2021. So I assume Season 3 is really the Book of Boba. I doubt Disney will overlap two shows in the same month.

I think Chapter 16 is the end of the "Book 1". Boba is Book 2.

I’d be cool with that. This was a good ending for Mando, and obviously he would most likely guest star on future episodes.

hdtv00 12-18-20 05:26 AM

Yep even though they didn't quite nail it effects wise , it's pretty EPIC and what we ALL wanted and needed right. I feel they should've used Marks' voice too and it didn't seem like they did.

Artman 12-18-20 05:38 AM

When it was just showing the monitor I thought it was Ashoka - then... the green blade! The one f-ing thing everyone wanted to see in just one of the new movies - and not in some flashback! They did a pretty decent job, I would've liked a more sweeping rendition of Luke's theme (it was there right? I need to rewatch!)

In some ways, the opening 50min episode may have overset expectations a bit - they really stuck with the "episode of the week" theme for the whole season (and series), you keep wanting it to break out beyond that....but to their credit, they didn't waver from that formula.

As for the episode overall, I will admit it was not nearly as epic as I had in mind... but, I don't care...we got what we wanted. Really, this was gonna be some video game jedi no one has ever heard of? Lol

james2025a 12-18-20 05:41 AM

I believe that was Hamils voice and they had another acotr playing the role with the deaging. Hence why Hamil got the credit. I did love that cameo and seeing R2D2 again and being shown some actual love and respect was great. Bring on the Luke series with Sebastian Stan. I would LOVE that.

I think that Book of Boba will be a seperate series and they will release Mandalorian Season 3 maybe around summer 2022.

Overall its been a top notch season and this is really doing a great job getting the SW universunivek on track.

T-bone22 12-18-20 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by hdtv00 (Post 13859806)
I feel they should've used Marks' voice too and it didn't seem like they did.

Mark Hamill was very clearly billed on the end credits.

Meathead 12-18-20 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Artman (Post 13859807)
When it was just showing the monitor I thought it was Ashoka - then... the green blade!

I knew it was Luke the moment the X-Wing flew in.

This show just keeps getting better and better.

dex14 12-18-20 06:59 AM

Re: The Mandalorian: Chapter 16: The Rescue (S2E8) - Season Finale- 12/18/20

No words. Amazing. I always roll my eyes when people say this, but I screamed when I knew it was him.

I know it is being discussed, but in case anyone misses it stay through the end credits.

Like others mentioned, I too felt even more disdain for the ST after seeing this. Throughout this season, I had more enjoyment in a 40 min episode than any of those movies.

dex14 12-18-20 07:09 AM

Re: The Mandalorian: Chapter 16: The Rescue (S2E8) - Season Finale - 12/18/20

Some speculation...

The season 2 finale of The Mandalorian had a surprise post-credits scene that left fans shocked, excited and just a bit confused.

The final moments took us back to Tatooine and showed Boba Fett (Temuera Morrison) and Fennec Shand (Ming-Na Wen) violently taking over the crime lord palace that once belonged to Jabba the Hutt (now run by Jabba's former chief of staff, Bib Fortuna, in a surprise, but short-lived, cameo). Boba probably feels like he has good reason to be perturbed with Fortuna as Jabba's minions left him for dead in the Sarlacc Pit in Return of the Jedi.

As Fett takes the throne, the show cuts to a title card: "The Book of Boba Fett, coming December 2021."

At face value, that sure sounds like a Mandalorian spin-off series.

But The Mandalorian season 3 has also been announced for next December (Christmas, to be precise), provoking some confusion among fans.

It's not immediately clear if The Book of Boba Fett is a limited spin-off ... a full-fledged series ... or some kind of evolution or replacement for The Mandalorian itself.

Previously, Deadline reported a Boba Fett miniseries was in the works and that it would begin shooting shortly before The Mandalorian season 3 started production. That report initially seemed in doubt when Disney announced two other spinoffs at its Investor Day conference earlier this month – an Ahsoka Tano series and a project titled Rangers of the New Republic. But given this finale reveal, it seems most likely that we'll get The Book of Boba Fett in early December, and then The Mandalorian season 3 launching later that same month. More to come on this.

Before season 2 began, showrunner Jon Favreau told EW that The Mandalorian would take a page from Game of Thrones in terms of how the HBO drama began with most of the characters together and then sent them off into various distinct storylines. At the time, it seemed as if the writer-director was talking about storylines within the series itself. Now it seems Favreau meant spinning off characters into their own separate shows during the same timeline and eventually bringing the characters all back together.
I'm assuming we'll get some sort of confirmation on what is going in the days ahead.

That last paragraph ties in to what Kennedy said about all the shows culminating in a climactic story event.

LorenzoL 12-18-20 08:33 AM

Whether it will be on Season 3 of The Mandalorian or it will be a separate series, I'm okay either way and the way the Book of Boba is setting up, it will be the Bounty Hunters and Smugglers show that we never got before. I can't wait until next year!

Artman 12-18-20 08:34 AM

So, yeah I completely missed the post credits scene... looks like the 5+yrs has packed on some lbs for everyone! I think the Mandalorian as we have known it is indeed done as a series. I'm surprised but I have to respect it as well. They've opened up the SW Cinematic Universe!

devilshalo 12-18-20 08:38 AM

I guess that Grogu somehow doesn't survive to the rise of the First Order and the Knights of Ren? So many questions!

LorenzoL 12-18-20 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by devilshalo (Post 13859841)
I guess that Grogu somehow doesn't survive to the rise of the First Order and the Knights of Ren? So many questions!

Or maybe he did? Who's to say as we still don't know the fate of Ahsoka too..

dex14 12-18-20 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL (Post 13859842)
Or maybe he did? Who's to say as we still don't know the fate of Ahsoka too..

People think she’s dead by the time of TROS, because her voice was included with the other dead Jedi voices calling to Rey.

LorenzoL 12-18-20 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13859849)
People think she’s dead by the time of TROS, because her voice was included with the other dead Jedi voices calling to Rey.

Yes. I forgot about that. That's a good observation.