DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Conners (ABC) - Season 3 Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/651185-conners-abc-season-3-thread.html)

Daytripper 08-26-20 09:24 PM

The Conners (ABC) - Season 3 Thread

Saw a commercial for this tonight. Premieres on Wednesdays this Fall, new night. Didn't realize it was back in production and found this online. I get the no studio audience. But will they use a laugh track? And yes, I know a laugh track was mostly used before. But it will be strange with no laughing at all.

https://deadline.com/2020/08/the-con...ll-1203015179/v

DJariya 08-27-20 02:10 PM

Re: The Conners (ABC) - Season 3 Thread

1st promotional photo

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...0c5b17cfd6.png

Daytripper 08-27-20 08:26 PM

^^^^ That's cute.

Coral 08-29-20 02:52 PM

Smart to use the quilt on the couch for the masks. They did another thing with the quilt in a past promo.

DJ can just keep the mask on at all times - he barely says anything anyways.

Joe Schmoe 08-30-20 09:25 AM

Wow. Little DJ has grey hair in that photo. Everyone's getting old. :(

AaronHernandez 09-02-20 03:18 AM

Give Metfcalf is 65 and Goodman is 68 really surprised this is back to filming.

Daytripper 10-21-20 11:46 PM

Overall I thought it was a solid premiere. I felt they handled today's subject matter appropriately. Having Darlene and Becky end up at the Wellman factory was a nice/retro touch. It was also a very emotional moment between the two sisters. Both Gilbert and Goranson continue to impress me with their performances. When they cry, it hits me every time.

DWilson 10-21-20 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13797318)
Smart to use the quilt on the couch for the masks. They did another thing with the quilt in a past promo.

DJ can just keep the mask on at all times - he barely says anything anyways.

"DJ" will be directing an upcoming episode. I hope he can stand up to the added workload.

Daytripper 10-21-20 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by DWilson (Post 13827877)
"DJ" will be directing an upcoming episode. I hope he can stand up to the added workload.

Oh my. And just how is he qualified to direct anything?

mwbmis 10-22-20 12:08 AM

Supposedly no Estelle Parsons this season until it is safe enough for her to travel.

Double_Oh_7 10-22-20 02:29 AM

John Goodman does not look good at all. What's up with that haircut?

Joe Schmoe 10-22-20 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 13827910)

Wondered about that too.

Joe Schmoe 10-22-20 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 13827874)
Overall I thought it was a solid premiere. I felt they handled today's subject matter appropriately. Having Darlene and Becky end up at the Wellman factory was a nice/retro touch. It was also a very emotional moment between the two sisters. Both Gilbert and Goranson continue to impress me with their performances. When they cry, it hits me every time.

Well, I'm glad someone liked it. I thought the only funny part was the clip with Clooney.

Paff 10-22-20 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe (Post 13827979)
Well, I'm glad someone liked it. I thought the only funny part was the clip with Clooney.

I wish they hadn't included that, and just left it as "he looked like George Clooney" as an inside joke to the more knowledgeable fans.

Josh-da-man 10-22-20 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 13827910)

Looks like he lost some weight between seasons. I remember a few years back he lost quite a bit of weight, too, and I thought he might be sick.

The hair, I assume, is meant to be social isolation hair.

mickey65 10-22-20 03:07 PM

I like how Darlene and Becky still snipe back and forth at each other. The hooker comment was an LOL for me.

Daytripper 10-22-20 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13828180)
Looks like he lost some weight between seasons. I remember a few years back he lost quite a bit of weight, too, and I thought he might be sick.

The hair, I assume, is meant to be social isolation hair.

Same with Jackie's gray roots.

Coral 10-23-20 09:20 PM

The flashback was just really just a way to show "hey, Clooney was on this show before he got famous!"

I never understood how the magazine was going to make money anyways. I really can't see many people reading it in the first place to generate that many advertisers.

I said this a season or two ago, but it's really depressing that no one in this family can move forward, and they're still clawing for cash.

Daytripper 10-24-20 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13829080)
I never understood how the magazine was going to make money anyways. I really can't see many people reading it in the first place to generate that many advertisers.

Agree. I'll go one step further. How many criminals/thugs does Landford have that could fill a monthly magazine? Or is it weekly.....quarterly? Better yet, who would buy that crap? I've never even heard of such a magazine anywhere. I live in Arlington Virginia, three miles outside of D.C., and I don't know of any magazine like this in my area.

mickey65 10-24-20 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 13829140)
Agree. I'll go one step further. How many criminals/thugs does Landford have that could fill a monthly magazine? Or is it weekly.....quarterly? Better yet, who would buy that crap? I've never even heard of such a magazine anywhere. I live in Arlington Virginia, three miles outside of D.C., and I don't know of any magazine like this in my area.

There is/was a weekly newspaper that came out called "Busted!". Lots of cities carried it and had the local arrests with mug shots in it. I think its mostly an on-line thing now. I worked for one company where one of the managers would look thru it every week to make sure none of their employees showed up in it - and if they did, they were gone! :lol:

Coral 10-24-20 10:15 AM

But that magazine wasn't just highlighting a specific city, right? It was carried throughout a lot of cities - which probably means it was covering criminals from multiple cities.
Landford's a small town - how many criminals are there... and how many potential readers are there?

Also, her article about the bank screwing people over during the pandemic seems VERY off-topic for that magazine. And she was upset about her dream of writing going up in smoke with the death of the magazine - but was it really going to amount to anything anyway being written in this very small, very niche and content-unrelated publication? She would have a better shot at continuing to write freelance and just trying to sell articles piece-meal to real magazines and newspapers.

JackoOnHisBacko 10-24-20 10:29 AM

One small thing that bugs me is that if they are hurting for money so bad, and losing their house, they sure seem to spend a lot on (unknown brand) bottled beer. If they were just drinking cans of Natural Light, I'd find it more believable.

windom 10-24-20 12:06 PM

How does Dan not own his house yet? I guess he could have refinanced to a longer end date or maybe they had a 40 year mortgage. Maybe he took out a home equity loan or something. Wouldn't their house have to be in forclosure already for them to be evicted?

Also, people in Illinois don't say "stand on line". It's "stand in line" here.

Coral 10-24-20 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 13829274)
How does Dan not own his house yet? I guess he could have refinanced to a longer end date or maybe they had a 40 year mortgage. Maybe he took out a home equity loan or something. Wouldn't their house have to be in forclosure already for them to be evicted?

I guess during the 20 years that lapsed offscreen Dan had troubles getting drywall contract jobs and maybe took out a second mortgage on the house to stay alive?
Can't remember if Dan still has his bike. Sell it.

I dunno, you figure after all these years that someone in the family would've gotten their shit together and be a little more financially secure.

Josh-da-man 10-24-20 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13829222)
Landford's a small town - how many criminals are there... and how many potential readers are there?

Like most tv towns, it's of an ambiguous size. When they need it to be a small town, it's a small town, but then it can be big enough to support a shopping mall and community college. (See Sunnydale on Buffy the Vampire Slayer as a perfect example. It can be a sleepy little town where the kids have nothing to do a Friday night to housing a four-year college with fraternities.)

If it has/had a mall, then it's probably safe to assume it has a population of about 50,000. As such, there are probably a decent amount of arrests for DUI and domestic incidents.

I doubt a magazine filled with mugshots would be very popular unless it was something like an ad-supported tabloid that was given away free at newsstands, sort of like those local music papers that list upcoming concerts and performances. I don't see many people going out of their way to buy such a publication, but they might pick it up free if it's near the exit door of a grocery store where they keep the real estate books and stuff like that.