TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Untitled Arkham Asylum Series (Same Universe as "The Batman") -- HBO Max

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-20, 09:30 PM
Banned

Received 1,020 Likes on 674 Posts
re: Untitled Gotham City Show (Same Universe as "The Batman") -- HBO Max

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I don't think that's the case. 10 years ago we already had Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Hulk, IM 2, Man of Steel, Captain America, Thor in production, and Avengers in pre-production. Superhero movies were on the move.

But then WB never blew a chance to miss an opportunity, so...
What I posted came from people working at DC at the time who were present at the meetings since they were asked to pitch ideas for the series. Warner saw all those movie hits but at the same time they saw all the comic book movie failures like Green Lantern, X-Men Last Stand, Fantastic Four 2, etc, and in the executives mind at HBO they were seeing the glass half empty and their train of thought was that comic books movies were bottoming out. Man of Steel hadn't come out yet, Watchmen had mixed reviews. Same with Dark Knight Rises. Iron Man 2 had mixed reviews too. So things were not as clear cut as it became in 2012 when Avengers came out and blew up at the box office.

Another thing that I know first hand is that at that point in time, all these Warner companies worked completely separate, almost as adversaries/competitors, a culture that was brewed when AOL came along in 2000. There wasn't the synergy that Disney has or the one that AT&T is trying to create now with their product. That's why for a company like DC Comics it became hard to get their product on their sister companies like Cartoon Network, TNT, TBS and instead they had to sell their pitches to companies outside Warner like Fox, SYFY, NBC Universal, etc. That's why Gotham ended up at Fox, SYFY got Krypton, CW got Arrow and Flash, CBS got Supergirl and NBC got Powerless. The closest synergy that Warner allowed at the time was having the Big Bang Theory use DC Comics apparel and merchandise and that was done in that way as a cost cutting measure more than synergy.
Old 07-18-20, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 963 Likes on 810 Posts

It's very possible this show gets retooled or shut down if reaction to Matt Reeves' movie isn't good, which I think could happen. HBO has become much more willing to give up on projects in development of late.
Old 07-19-20, 12:40 PM
Banned

Received 378 Likes on 296 Posts

Hopefully they do some animated content geared towards adults. Would love to see another series in the vein of Spawn. A serious DC adult animated show would be great- and I'm not talking a comedy show like Harley Quinn, but something dark and gritty- maybe a Question show with Renee Montoya that centers around conspiracy theories. That would be perfect for this day and age.

Anything is better than another Batman show (or Batman without Batman).
Old 07-19-20, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Eric F
Hopefully they do some animated content geared towards adults. Would love to see another series in the vein of Spawn. A serious DC adult animated show would be great- and I'm not talking a comedy show like Harley Quinn, but something dark and gritty- maybe a Question show with Renee Montoya that centers around conspiracy theories. That would be perfect for this day and age.

Batman is bankable and a proven commodity in Hollywood. Producers will always go with the safe, well-paved path first. I've always thought Sandman would work best as an animated series.
Old 07-19-20, 05:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Batman is bankable and a proven commodity in Hollywood. Producers will always go with the safe, well-paved path first. I've always thought Sandman would work best as an animated series.
Well, The Question is based out of Gotham so I suppose they can work in the Batman stuff somehow.
Old 07-19-20, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,265 Likes on 1,738 Posts

All of their direct to video animated stuff is basically geared towards adults, though there is nothing as subtle as what you suggest. Between that and some of the stuff in Titans I sometimes think their concept of "adult" means basically adding nudity and over the top violence. Have they said what their Green Lantern thing is going to be about?
Old 07-19-20, 09:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fujishig
All of their direct to video animated stuff is basically geared towards adults, though there is nothing as subtle as what you suggest. Between that and some of the stuff in Titans I sometimes think their concept of "adult" means basically adding nudity and over the top violence. Have they said what their Green Lantern thing is going to be about?
Sci-Fi space opera is what I'm guessing, with some action thrown in.
Old 07-19-20, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sci-Fi space opera is what I'm guessing, with some action thrown in.
Oh, I mean is it going to be for adults?
Old 07-20-20, 01:04 AM
Banned

Oh, I mean is it going to be for adults?
I guess. Probably in the same way Titans and Doom Patrol is.
Old 07-20-20, 10:44 AM
Banned

They already added nudity on one of the direct to video animated Suicide Squad movies.
Old 07-20-20, 10:45 AM
Banned

Read Gotham Central. That comic book series proved that a Batman without Batman series can be done right and turn out great.
Old 07-20-20, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Hood
They already added nudity on one of the direct to video animated Suicide Squad movies.
Yup, which is why I said someone there thinks making things more adult is adding graphic violence and nudity. I hated that Suicide Squad movie, btw, though others really liked it (for those researching, the scene was actually a lesbian scene between two super villians). And by all accounts that last Justice League Dark movie is just a gore fest.
Old 07-20-20, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Gritty space cop show aimed at adults. Expansive world building like Game of Thrones.
Old 07-21-20, 08:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Read Gotham Central. That comic book series proved that a Batman without Batman series can be done right and turn out great.
I read it already. Gotham was supposed to be based on Gotham Central as well. Instead we got campy Batman without Batman.
Old 08-22-20, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4,077 Likes on 2,902 Posts

https://deadline.com/2020/08/the-bat...ne-1203020965/

Reeves revealed tonight that this series will be a prequel to The Batman and will take place in year one.
Old 08-23-20, 11:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://deadline.com/2020/08/the-bat...ne-1203020965/

Reeves revealed tonight that this series will be a prequel to The Batman and will take place in year one.
Uh, so Batman without Batman during "Year One" or just Batman Year One?

I don't get it. How can you have a "Year One" show in Gotham without Batman? I suppose it can center around Bullock and maybe Renee Montoya, and the general GCPD, but didn't we just have a show about that? (before Year One)
Old 11-17-20, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,457 Likes on 992 Posts

https://www.darkhorizons.com/winter-...in-off-series/

Boardwalk Empire” and “The Sopranos” writing alum Terence Winter has exited the untitled “Gotham P.D.” series, a spin-off of Matt Reeves’ upcoming “The Batman” feature, over creative differences. Winter was in line to write and showrun the forthcoming series and his exit comes hot on the heels of the news of him developing a “Dial M For Murder” anthology series starring Alicia Vikander. “The Batman” spin-off was handed a straight-to-series order at HBO Max over five months ago. The story will be set in the world Reeves is creating for the feature film and will build on the film’s examination of the anatomy of corruption in Gotham City. A search for a new showrunner is underway.
Old 11-17-20, 12:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deftones
https://www.darkhorizons.com/winter-...in-off-series/

Boardwalk Empire” and “The Sopranos” writing alum Terence Winter has exited the untitled “Gotham P.D.” series, a spin-off of Matt Reeves’ upcoming “The Batman” feature, over creative differences. Winter was in line to write and showrun the forthcoming series and his exit comes hot on the heels of the news of him developing a “Dial M For Murder” anthology series starring Alicia Vikander. “The Batman” spin-off was handed a straight-to-series order at HBO Max over five months ago. The story will be set in the world Reeves is creating for the feature film and will build on the film’s examination of the anatomy of corruption in Gotham City. A search for a new showrunner is underway.
A show about the mob set in Gotham, sounds boring.

Also, didn't we just have this?
Old 04-19-21, 11:35 AM

Received 5,083 Likes on 3,438 Posts

Old 04-19-21, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4,077 Likes on 2,902 Posts

Didn't they just do that with Gotham?
Old 04-19-21, 11:56 AM
Banned

Stop it already.
Old 04-19-21, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,347 Likes on 1,035 Posts

What, a black Jim Gordon can't have his own show now? Stop it.
Old 03-06-22, 09:38 PM

Received 5,083 Likes on 3,438 Posts
re: Untitled Gotham City PD Show (Same Universe as "The Batman") -- HBO Max

In an interview with The Cyber Nerds, The Batman’s director Matt Reeves revealed how the upcoming Gotham PD show on HBO Max has evolved and changed.

Reeves mentioned how the overall story has "evolved" into the realm of “the world of Arkham as it relates coming off of [The Batman],” and that the project is more “like a horror movie,” relating the infamous Asylum to “a haunted house:”

“The GCDP thing, that story has story has kinda evolved. We’ve actually now [moved] more into the realm of exactly what would happen in the world of Arkham as it relates coming off of our movie, and some of the characters… almost leaning into the idea of… it’s like a horror movie or a haunted house that is Arkham. The idea, again the way that Gotham is a character in the movie, I really want Arkham to exist as a character. You go into this environment and encounter these characters in a way that feels really fresh. And so in our work on Gotham, that story started to evolve, and it started feeling [like], ‘Wait, we should really lean into this.' And then that’s kinda where that’s gone.”
https://thedirect.com/article/batman...er-bros-horror
Old 03-06-22, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,238 Likes on 962 Posts
re: Untitled Arkham Asylum Series (Same Universe as "The Batman") -- HBO Max

That sounds much more interesting to me than just a GCPD show. I like the idea of an Arkham show with Jeffrey Wright’s Gordon involved. Hopefully Pattinson shows up here and there too.
Old 03-07-22, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 226 Likes on 190 Posts
re: Untitled Arkham Asylum Series (Same Universe as "The Batman") -- HBO Max

Agreed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.