Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Westworld (S3E08) -- Season Finale -- “Crisis Theory” -- 5/3/20

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-20, 07:19 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Westworld (S3E08) -- Season Finale -- “Crisis Theory” -- 5/3/20

Season 3, episode 8: “Crisis Theory”
Debut date: SUNDAY, MAY 3 (9:00-10:15 p.m. ET/PT)

Time to face the music.

Written by Denise Thé & Jonathan Nolan; directed by Jennifer Getzinger.
This was recently renewed for a fourth season.
Old 05-03-20, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts
Re: Westworld (S3E08) -- Season Finale -- “Crisis Theory” -- 5/3/20

This fantastic season seems to have flown by so quickly.
Old 05-03-20, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
It has went by pretty fast. I wouldn’t call it fantastic but would call it good. If I’m comparing it to Season 2 I would call it fantastic but comparing it to Season 1 it’s okay. Interested to see how this one ends and happy we get another.
Old 05-03-20, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

It flew by because it’s 20% shorter than the previous two seasons. I miss the park aspect as the real world isn’t nearly as interesting to me. But it looks like we may be heading back tonight.

My podcast guy speculated that Season 1 was about the rules of the world of the park and Season 2 was about what happens when those rules get left behind. He says Season 3 is about the rules of the real world and so maybe Season 4 will be more about a world without rules (thigh that was touched on in the last two episodes).
Old 05-03-20, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Inb4 the hate watchers show up to complain. I thought it was good, looking forward to season 4
The following users liked this post:
covenant (05-21-20)
Old 05-03-20, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Wow, folks need to stay for the mid credit sequence. That was the best part of the whole episode! Holy shit.

Oh, and I enjoyed Dolores looking like Alita in the beginning.
Old 05-04-20, 12:54 AM

Yeah, post credit stuff was great.

Wonder what happens to the Delores character from here.

Was that Bernard we see at the very end of the episode the same one we have seen this season?
Old 05-04-20, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

For a show that is so visually appealing and always seemingly has something going on...it is fantastically boring. Lots of noise but no music. The three minute post credit sequence was more interesting than the entire 70 minutes of episode proper.

Deus ex Dolores and her dreary sidekick Caleb waltz through mindless Storm Troopers and tedious flashbacks in one repetitive scene after another, interspersed with other shallow characters doing more or less the same. They stumble towards a goal that is so all over the map there is little or no chance to generate a vested interest in the viewer. Does anyone really care who gets the upper hand in any scene, or what difference it would make regardless? Oh, and someone tell Serac where he can get some decent henchmen, ones that shoot a guy one of the first three times he tells them to.

The season was an amorphous blob of pretty pictures. Frankly I'm glad it's over so they can reboot the show again.
Old 05-04-20, 09:12 AM

With the death of William, this show - which is supposed to be about the fate of humanity now - has one human character (Caleb) in its entire cast. The stakes are awful low when you know that any character death is temporary and there's nobody to root for.
Old 05-04-20, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
For a show that is so visually appealing and always seemingly has something going on...it is fantastically boring. Lots of noise but no music. The three minute post credit sequence was more interesting than the entire 70 minutes of episode proper.

Deus ex Dolores and her dreary sidekick Caleb waltz through mindless Storm Troopers and tedious flashbacks in one repetitive scene after another, interspersed with other shallow characters doing more or less the same. They stumble towards a goal that is so all over the map there is little or no chance to generate a vested interest in the viewer. Does anyone really care who gets the upper hand in any scene, or what difference it would make regardless? Oh, and someone tell Serac where he can get some decent henchmen, ones that shoot a guy one of the first three times he tells them to.

The season was an amorphous blob of pretty pictures. Frankly I'm glad it's over so they can reboot the show again.
Agreed.

However, it's arguably worse than that. It's one thing to believe that a bunch of corporate hacks (including Serac) could only hire the Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight. But, that's not the case. Now ..... we find that the giant computer has been making all the decisions and Serac is just a pawn. Which leads to the realization that this giant all-knowing computer with so many advantages has been playing checkers while Dolores has been playing chess all along. Craptastic.

I'm so darn tired of filmmakers that had that one philosophy course and got wrapped up in that determinism vs free will debate and think it's interesting. It's not.

But, I'm optimistic. Wherever they go has to be better than this.

Old 05-04-20, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Highlight was Marshawn beast-moding through the police barriers. Somewhat boring and predictable story-line this season but it was pretty to look at. After that final scene I really need to know if Chunky Stubbs is still in the tub.
Old 05-05-20, 08:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Solid season finale, enjoyed it overall, might be better on a re-watch in a few years when I can remember stuff, this will probably be at least 2 years for a new season...
Old 05-05-20, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Finally got a chance to watch the finale. My goodness that was a great episode. No complaints. Season 3 might not have been on-par with Season 1, but it came pretty damn close for me. Very much looking forward to Season 4, which will possibly be the last season as I'm not sure how much more they could carry this plot.
Old 05-05-20, 05:52 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Finally got a chance to watch the finale. My goodness that was a great episode. No complaints. Season 3 might not have been on-par with Season 1, but it came pretty damn close for me. Very much looking forward to Season 4, which will possibly be the last season as I'm not sure how much more they could carry this plot.
Wow, that's interesting. I guess I should just bail because I thought it was one of the dumbest hours of television ever. I disliked every second of it. One thing I have noticed about Westworld is that there is just a TON of scenes of people just walking around. Also the script seems to have been edited with a global search and replace where every "cut" was replaced by "random machine gun fire"

I won't hate on it, just not for me anymore. It's not fun and it's not smart and there is literally no one in the show to root for. Ill go watch a procedural now
Old 05-07-20, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

wow. surprised nearly a week after the short season's season finale this is such a short thread. I don't feel this season was 'season 2 bad' but I'm not eagerly awaiting the 4th season. The extra Delores host shells got a bit trite and as someone pointed out the best part of the finale was the post-credit scene, not a good sign and given (as someone else pointed out as well) the only human left that is named/know if a new cast member the stakes seem awfully low for me to be rooting for Caleb next season, at this point I won't be surprised to see the writers pull a shitty move and reveal the whole series is a VR simulation watched by an autistic kid.
Old 05-08-20, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I won't hate on it, just not for me anymore. It's not fun and it's not smart and there is literally no one in the show to root for. Ill go watch a procedural now
Mostly just ^that. For a show that started off Season 1 with so many subtle layers, intriguing mysteries, and wonderful characters ... this has become a major letdown for me. Season 3 had virtually no intelligence to it whatsoever. There was no big mystery at the end ... just evil douchebags and a lot of loose strings. It definitely didn't have a single character for me to relate to or root for. I can see why Ed Harris has gotten fed up with the show.

It looked amazing. It had some great sequences. Evan Rachel Wood was really good as an actress, especially in the finale.

But it went nowhere. It has strayed so far from its original creativity because it has fallen prey to the "we need a bigger bad and bigger stakes" each season. There was plenty to still be explored in the park, but they kind of blew all that up in Season 2 and failed to get back on that track in Season 3. Sorry, I did not feel there was any worthwhile message to this season.
Old 05-20-20, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I finally watched this season over the last few days. It really just never clicked with me. It was something I found more content to just have on in the background. Maybe a big part of it is I reached the point where I am really bored with Delores. I was rooting against her plan not for humanity's sake but so that we could finally move on from her.
Old 09-26-21, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

I finally finished the season.

I didn’t hate it at all, but I didn’t love it either.

I am disappointed that they killed off William.

as mentioned - Caleb is the only human left on the show.

ERW is great as Dolores, but the character definitely ran its course.
Old 09-26-21, 10:20 PM

Ha, I don't remember hardly any of that.
Old 09-27-21, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was able to finish off Season 3 as well. Season 1 was great and the other seasons seemed to get worse and worse. Such a great concept that just went too far. Like someone said above, Season 1 had mystery, surprises, and cliff-hangars. It was a great ride. Season 2 & 3 lost the magic that made Season 1 so great and just went for action.