Parks and Recreation -- "A Parks and Recreation Special" -- 4/30/20

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-23-20, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 910 Likes on 567 Posts

Parks and Recreation’ Cast Reuniting for One-Off COVID-19 Charity Episode

Leslie Knope and Co. will return for a special Pawnee self-isolation story to raise money for Feeding America
By
JON BLISTEIN

The cast of 'Parks and Recreation' will reunite for a special one-off episode to raise money for Feeding America's COVID-19 Relief Fund.

Chris Haston/NBCU Photo Bank/NBCUniversal via
Parks and Recreation will return for a special one-off episode featuring the original cast that will air Thursday, April 30th, at 8:30 p.m. ET/PT on NBC. The episode will help raise money for Feeding America’s COVID-19 Response Fund, which is providing additional assistance to food banks around the country during the pandemic.

The new episode will be set in the present day and center around the attempts of Amy Poehler’s Leslie Knope to keep in touch with all her friends and colleagues as they social distance. Along with Poehler, cast members Rashida Jones, Chris Pratt, Nick Offerman, Rob Lowe, Aziz Ansari, Adam Scott, Aubrey Plaza, Jim O’Heir and Retta will appear in the episode. A press release teased that “special guest stars from the Pawnee universe may pop in” as well.

In a statement, Parks and Rec creator Mike Schur said, “Like a lot of other people, we were looking for ways to help and felt that bringing these characters back for a night could raise some money. I sent a hopeful email to the cast and they all got back to me within 45 minutes. Our old Parks and Rec team has put together one more 30-minute slice of (quarantined) Pawnee life and we hope everyone enjoys it. And donates!”

Parks and Recreation fans can donate to Feeding America through this website. State Farm and Subaru of America will both make matching donations of $150,000, which will be combined with donations from NBCUniversal and the writers, producers and cast of Parks and Rec to bring the total of matching donations to $500,000.

Parks and Recreation ran for seven seasons from 2009 to 2015. Though never a huge ratings smash, the show cultivated a dedicated fanbase and regularly earned rave reviews from critics. During its run, the show picked up 10 Emmy nominations and four Golden Globe nods, with Poehler winning Best Actress in a Television Series Musical or Comedy in 2014.
The following users liked this post:
spainlinx0 (04-24-20)
Old 04-23-20, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts
Re: Parks and Recreation (NBC) - The 7th & Final Season Thread - premiering 1/13/15

Cool though I could wait if this is going to be shot through Zoom or they could do another one in the future when things get back to normal.
Old 04-23-20, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: Parks and Recreation (NBC) - The 7th & Final Season Thread - premiering 1/13/15

Excited sure....but how good can a zoom episode be. I literally don't know if it will be good.
Old 04-23-20, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How does it even work? Within the core cast you have three sets of married people who won't be quarantined together. Plus Ron and Tom were either married or close to married to Diane and Lucy so either they aren't in it or they also aren't quarantined together.
Old 04-27-20, 06:11 PM

Received 514 Likes on 362 Posts
Re: Parks and Recreation -- "A Parks and Recreation Special" -- 4/30/20

Old 04-27-20, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis View Post
How does it even work? Within the core cast you have three sets of married people who won't be quarantined together. Plus Ron and Tom were either married or close to married to Diane and Lucy so either they aren't in it or they also aren't quarantined together.
My wife doesn't get my Zoom calls when I talk to my friends. Why does Ron's wife need to get on the call if he's talking to former coworkers?
Old 04-27-20, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
My wife doesn't get my Zoom calls when I talk to my friends. Why does Ron's wife need to get on the call if he's talking to former coworkers?
She wouldn't need to...they were married, and Lucy Lawless wasn't even in season seven, but why are April and Andy in different places...why are Leslie and Ben in different places...why are Chris and Ann in different places.

I mean I get it, and I'm prepared to go with it, but it will still be kind of weird.
Old 04-27-20, 08:32 PM

Since it’s scripted, I’ll give Mike Schur the benefit of the doubt of coming up with a clever way to address it.
Old 04-27-20, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hope you’re right. Huge fan but I have a bad feeling about this.
Old 04-27-20, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Speaking of Schur he did an interview today where he talked about the Mose beard challenge. At the very end they showed a very short clip of Thursday's show, and for those wondering Offerman did go back to the Ron Swanson look.
Nesbit (04-27-20)
Old 04-27-20, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 136 Posts

Oh shit, at this point I'll take whatever they give me. But I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt too, lots of talented folks involved in this.
Old 04-27-20, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Maybe the people in couples have their own individual laptops and are just in different rooms?
Deftones (04-27-20)
Old 04-27-20, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by windom View Post
Maybe the people in couples have their own individual laptops and are just in different rooms?
I'm guessing at least one half of a couple will have the virus as an excuse for that.
Old 04-27-20, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

Well, Ron could be back with Tammy, who are married in real life.
Old 04-28-20, 04:06 PM

The scripted Parks and Recreation reunion special airing this week on NBC will be chockablock with well over a dozen Pawnee favorites, including several surprise guests.

Airing this Thursday at 8:30/7:30c (leading out of an encore of The Paley Center Salutes Parks and Recreation), A Parks and Recreation Special finds “Pawnee’s most dedicated civil servant, Leslie Knope, determined to stay connected to her friends in a time of social distancing.” But main cast members Amy Poehler, Nick Offerman, Rashida Jones, Aziz Ansari, Adam Scott, Rob Lowe, Chris Pratt, Aubrey Plaza, Retta and Jim O’Heir will not be the only familiar faces on hand.

“Part of the fun of [Parks and Rec] in general and of the special will be unexpected people who are part of this world popping up,” executive producer Mike Schur said in a Tuesday press conference. And while he won’t confirm or deny any rumored cameos, “There are probably half a dozen… familiar faces who pop up at one point or another” — including in the special’s opening seconds.

“The first face you see on camera will not be one of the 10 main cast members,” Schur teased. “And that sets the tone for the show.”

In accounting for the present-day whereabouts of Leslie, Ron, Tom et al — keeping in mind that, flash-forwards aside, the series finale left off in the year 2017 — Schur told TVLine, “There were some logistical questions we had to answer,” including why married characters were not together in the same room. “But ultimately they were very minor.”

The trickiest nut to crack may have been determining Ann’s role in the special, given that she is a nurse who very well could/should have been on the “front line” staring down the deadly pandemic.

“Yeah, that was a little tricky…,” Schur told us. The solution? Ann is primarily busy with outpatient care.

“We debated having her be on the ‘front line’, but we didn’t want to seem like we were trivializing or making light of or trying to find humor in what is probably the least humorous aspect of this entire thing,” Schur explained, “so we [establish] that her job is not the same as the people who are really in the middle of this nightmare.” (Along those same lines, Schur noted that none of the characters will have been diagnosed with or had/beaten the coronavirus.)

All told, the theme of A Parks and Recreation Special is one of the things Leslie Knope always held dear: hope.

“The reason why this project made sense [is because] the main character was eternally optimistic and believed in the power of community to hold people together,” Schur reminded. “She believed that incremental small moments of connection and togetherness were vital to the social fabric. And she believed that government for be a force for good and help people in meaningful ways. [Parks and Recreation] was forged in the economic crisis of 2007, 2008… and now we’re obviously in another one of those moments.

“I honestly didn’t think that Parks and Rec was going to reunite for any reason,” Schur added, “just because I felt that show had a point to make and I felt like we made it. There just didn’t seem like there was a compelling reason. But this is a compelling reason. This is as compelling a reason as there is.”

The money raised by A Parks and Recreation Special will go to Feeding America’s COVID-19 Response Fund, which enables food banks to provide food and resources to “the most vulnerable members of the community during this difficult time.” NBCUniversal, the Parks and Rec cast, and sponsors State Farm and Subaru of America will match donations up to $500,000 as well.
https://tvline.com/2020/04/28/parks-...w-guest-stars/
Old 04-28-20, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 136 Posts

Hoping for appearances from Perd and Jean-Ralphio as well.
Old 04-28-20, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

If you have YouTube TV, to find this, do a search for "A Parks and Recreation Special"
Old 04-28-20, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Hoping for appearances from Perd and Jean-Ralphio as well.
Jay Jackson did the last Paley thing last year so I would assume there will be a Perd newscast. This is before Jean-Ralphio faked his death in the finale timeline so Schwartz will probably be in it. I think Kathryn Hahn is a safe bet. I wouldn't be surprised with Alison Becker and Paul Rudd though that is another in show couple that is married now.
Old 04-28-20, 06:28 PM

Universal TV president Pearlena Igbokwe had first reached out to Schur about the idea of doing a special, which he suggested should be for charity. The cast enthusiastically replied to Schur’s email in less than an hour. When Schur took a walk with his wife, “Single Parents” creator J.J. Philbin, later that day, he realized that the show should be a scripted original, and not just a table read.

Calling the logistics “very difficult,” Schur credits directors and executive producers Morgan Sackett and Dean Holland, as well as script supervisor Valeria Collins, with making the special happen. Schur reached out to half a dozen of the old writers from the show, who conceived of and penned the script for the special in less than three days. They then mailed or dropped off a “little rig with a tripod,” an iPhone, a light and microphones with the cast, and Schur and his team directed the actors and adjusted their framing via Zoom. The special was shot in just four days. Schur recruited “The Good Place” graphics and effects team “to make it not look like everyone was just sitting alone in their houses staring at a computer.”

While the process was fun, he said, there’s no doubt that it was also “slow and laborious.”

“Is there anything about this that points the way forward for TV production? And the answer is a resounding no,” said Schur. “For me, this is not this is not the way TV is be supposed to be made. It required an incredible amount of basically goodwill volunteer work, or guild minimum, union minimum volunteer work from from sound designers and editors and supervisors and all sorts of people really just doing it, because it’s a fundraiser, because it was fun to get the cast back together. But, you know, TV is a team sport. From the very beginning to the very end, it’s about groups of people functioning in holistic ways with each other, and collaborating and being in the same room at the same time. And, you know, I don’t I don’t think there’s any way that this is a sustainable method for making television.”

While Schur kept mum on who would make a guest appearance, he did say that there are “probably half a dozen” familiar faces who will pop up at one point or another. The very first face that will appear on screen will not be one from the regular cast.

“It wouldn’t have been a ‘Parks and Rec’ special if there hadn’t been some of the super fun and enjoyable side characters and tertiary characters who used to pop up on the show being involved,” he said. “So you’ll get a decent number of them as the show goes along.”

Given the multiple time leaps in the series finale of “Parks and Recreation,” Schur said that fitting the special’s story into the timeline of the show was “a real tricky one.”

“The first thing we had to do is say, ‘Where the hell is everyone?’ Where did everyone end up? … Gary’s the mayor, based on how we left him, but Leslie and Ben and April and Andy are in Washington and Donna’s in Seattle, and Chris and Anne are in Michigan.”

But as to whether this special should be considered canon, Schur says that “any fan cares about canon should consider this canon. … But it did present a kind of weird situation for something like this because ordinarily, you could just make everything out and start from scratch. But we had already said what had happened to everyone in years past, so we had to sort of go back and retrofit everything and make sure it made sense.”

As for what new episodes of television will look after the end of this global public health crisis, Schur says that it’s tough to figure out whether TV’s current set of characters will be planted into a world impacted by COVID-19. He noted the wide range of responses to the 9/11 terrorist attacks in the TV landscape, “Friends”‘ decision not to address it, to “The West Wing” dedicating an entire episode to the incident.

“It’s very hard to try to figure out what people will want down the line in September or beyond,” he said. “Will people want to see shows reflect the reality of what they went through, or are still going through? Or will they want pure escapism? You know, there’s no playbook for this.”
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/par...al-1234592076/
Old 04-29-20, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Very cool. I just finished a rewatch of the series a week ago, so the timing is perfect for me.
Old 04-29-20, 09:41 PM

Old 04-30-20, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by slop101:
Trevor (04-30-20), Xander (04-30-20)
Old 04-30-20, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Another show I got into late - binged watched every season shortly after the series finale - I love it though I don't know how good this will be I hope it works.
Old 04-30-20, 08:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 156 Likes on 137 Posts

Oh good people know about this! I was just gonna start a thread, didn’t know there was such P&R love. This is awesome. Not watching, but found out in time to dvr. I saw a little bit so far of the Paley thing. I just love this show. Watched it from beginning. It was a rocky start, first season or so, but then this got gooood and then it got great. This grew on me like the hairy mole on my ass I call Winston. So glad I have digital copy that I got on sale. I always watch the reruns when on various stations here and there but will revisit in entirety shortly. Just adore this freaking show! Will watch this 1 hour special tomorrow. Who knew Chris Pratt would be the breakout star? But, he was great as Andy. Didn’t know he’d become MCU, Jurassic Worlds, etc. great.

Did they do something like this for 30 Rock?
Old 04-30-20, 08:54 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

ugh, just found out about this. will it re-air?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.