Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Fantasy TV Series of All Time

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What is the best Fantasy TV Series of All Time?
The 10th Kingdom
0%
American Gods
0%
Angel
3.92%
3.92%
Berserk
0%
Bewtiched
0%
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
19.61%
Carnivale
3.92%
Charmed
1.96%
The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance
0%
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
0%
Game of Thrones
56.86%
Gravity Falls
1.96%
Highlander
0%
I Dream of Jeannie
0%
Mononoke
0%
Mushishi
0%
Outlander
1.96%
Over the Garden Wall
0%
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
0%
Robin or Sherwood
0%
Supernatural
0%
True Blood
1.96%
The Witcher
0%
Xena: Warrior Princess
3.92%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-20, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is debatable what one consider as "Fantasy" and often it`s overlapping with other Genres like "Science-Fiction", "Adventure", "Mystery" or "Horror". I tried to include only Series that are "Classical Fantasy" and did not include Series like Twin Peaks, The Twilight Zone, Les Revenants, Fanny och Alexander, Lost, The Leftovers or Angels in America ect. as they are not absolutely defined by that Genre, but clearly have some Elements. I always liked "Fantasy Stories" and I think it's a Genre that has much Potential on TV in the Future. So what are your choices?
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (04-09-20)
Old 04-09-20, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts
Re: Best Fantasy TV Series of All Time

Xena
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (04-16-20)
Old 04-09-20, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Is Fantasy considered mainly "swords and sorcery" kind of stuff or things like "the Good Place" which have fantastical elements? No sci-fi/superheroes? Also I'm assuming live action?

Budgets being higher, special effects being better and episode counts being contained on cable channels certainly have elevated the genre in general, though.

Despite the ending, GoT is certainly up there along with Stranger Things. Not sure how Buffy holds up today if I were to rewatch it. If we're including animation than stuff like Avatar and Gravity Falls are certainly up there as well.

edited to add: Oh, there's a poll, I swear I didn't see that when I commented.

Last edited by fujishig; 04-09-20 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-09-20, 01:08 PM

Not quite "fantasy" per se.

- Stargate SG-1
- Stargate Atlantis

I always thought the Stargate franchise was like the ultimate "kitchen sink" encompassing scifi, fantasy, conspiracy, etc ... type stuff which would appeal to hardcore nerdy/geeky types.
Old 04-09-20, 02:11 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

Buffy.
though technically GoT is a marvel and i love to death, but i always loved Buffy and SMG...
Old 04-09-20, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

I was going to vote Buffy, but then I realized that the scope of what GoT achieved in the genre was too great to ignore.
Old 04-09-20, 03:28 PM

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Gravity Falls - A bit of an under-rated masterpiece of a show.

I almost went with Xena which is such an iconic show (it was so much better than the fun Kevin Sorbo Hercules).

I think folks are taking the easy way out by saying GOT, as even if I ignore the last two seasons so they do not color my opinion of the show I feel that in-between some great action scenes and conversations between characters with admittedly sharp dialogue there were a whole lot of scenes that were filler, and not very good filler at that (I will even include the "filler" scenes that were an excuse for the show runners to parade a bunch of T & A in front of the audience, granted some good looking folks but still T & A that did nothing to advance the storyline).

Old 04-09-20, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
Gravity Falls - A bit of an under-rated masterpiece of a show.

I almost went with Xena which is such an iconic show (it was so much better than the fun Kevin Sorbo Hercules).

I think folks are taking the easy way out by saying GOT, as even if I ignore the last two seasons so they do not color my opinion of the show I feel that in-between some great action scenes and conversations between characters with admittedly sharp dialogue there were a whole lot of scenes that were filler, and not very good filler at that (I will even include the "filler" scenes that were an excuse for the show runners to parade a bunch of T & A in front of the audience, granted some good looking folks but still T & A that did nothing to advance the storyline).
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a show without filler, and GoT strikes me as the kind of show that kept a pretty brisk pace, even if not every thread turned out to be worthwhile. Certainly every single network show has filler and a ton of it.
Old 04-09-20, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Avatar TLA has such consistency and depth of characters, and you can make references to it almost anywhere on the internet and most people will get it, even those that didn't watch it, because they've absorbed them secondhand.

Gravity Falls really needed another 8-10 episodes to flesh out some things, but it still stands as a masterpiece of "Weird-Shit-O-Meter going off the charts".
Old 04-09-20, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually, not to open up a big can of worms and have Ash come in here and recommend Pokemon ( ), I'd probably say some anime like Attack on Titan, Fullmetal Alchemist (which is on there), Hunter x Hunter, Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure, One Piece, Death Note, Berserk, heck even Dragon Ball are up there (though in pretty much every case the manga is better). I'd pick them all over Madoka (though I like Madoka).
Old 04-09-20, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Look at all the people who think Game of Thrones was better than Buffy.

If Twin Peaks qualifies as "fantasy," I would have picked that easily. But it's such a mix of fantasy, sci-fi, horror, crime-drama, and a few other genres, it defies categorization.
Old 04-09-20, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Look at all the people who think Game of Thrones was better than Buffy.
Despite its inclusion in the poll, I would want to argue whether Buffy counts as fantasy at all. Fantasy and horror are separate genres, and a huge component of Buffy is real world teen drama.
Old 04-09-20, 09:45 PM

They can only sing in one episode, they switch bodies in another, they open portals to other worlds, things come out, that aren’t human or vampire...that’s not fantasy?
Old 04-09-20, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Obviously there is a lot of bleed among the fantasy, horror, and sci-fi genres, and what defines each can be debated by literary theorists. I'll just stand by the "if it looks like a duck" standard. Vampires in 1990s Southern California versus dragons and sword-fighting in the imaginary land of Westeros.
Old 04-10-20, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Obviously there is a lot of bleed among the fantasy, horror, and sci-fi genres, and what defines each can be debated by literary theorists. I'll just stand by the "if it looks like a duck" standard. Vampires in 1990s Southern California versus dragons and sword-fighting in the imaginary land of Westeros.
In practice, I've found that folks who like to precisely define and categorize things in a particular niche, were almost always the hardcore nerdy/geeky types with some form of extreme ocd when it comes to details and other minutea.

Similar to the mindset of a person who pays attention to the detailed canon of stuff like Star Wars and/or Star Trek, and will debate + argue with others over such minutea. (Not much different than trying to argue "theology").
Old 04-10-20, 01:48 PM

For me it`s between Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Game of Thrones, Berserk and Avatar: The Last Airbender. Buffy is probably the most influential and creative, Game of Thrones for it`s great worldbuilding and complex story of characters in it`s first few seasons, Avatar for it`s humanity and brightness and Berserk because it`s simply epic and wonderfully atmospheric.
Old 04-10-20, 03:03 PM

Buffy the Vampire Slayer has many fantasy elements imo.
Old 04-10-20, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Some of the choices...are out of left field in the fantasy category. Should have included Legend of the Seeker, a real fantasy show, over stuff like Buffy.

Grudgingly voted for Game of Thrones, though the show's final seasons are best forgotten. Best show on the entire list may be Puella Magi Madoka Magica. If you include anime, you have to include most people's #1 fantasy series in that field, the Fate/Stay Night franchise.

Props to the person that voted for Angel, which was much more of a fantasy series than Buffy.
Old 04-10-20, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Is Fantasy considered mainly "swords and sorcery" kind of stuff or things like "the Good Place" which have fantastical elements? No sci-fi/superheroes? Also I'm assuming live action?
"Fantasy" is, in theory, a broad genre that of fiction that includes fantastical elements and includes things like science fiction and horror. (It's why Tolkien shares shelf-space in most bookstores with Asimov and Heinlein.)

As a general rule, though, when people think of fantasy a genre, it's usually limited to "high fantasy," which covers immersive, self-contained worlds like Tolkien's Middle Earth and George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire. There's also "Low Fantasy," where the fantastical elements intrude into the otherwise "real" world -- Harry Potter and Narnia are good example of this. Most horror would probably be considered to be low fantasy, though it's generally referred to as "dark fantasy" when the f-word is applied to it. Though not all horror has fantastical elements in it.
Old 04-10-20, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

That said, I think Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Twin Peaks, with all of the fantastical elements, would easily qualify as "Low Fantasy."
Old 04-10-20, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

It has to be Game of Thrones. No matter what you think of the final season, the show became one of the most imaginative and influential shows in the current TV landscape. You couldn't make this kind of show 20 to 30 years ago. It was literally a feature film every single week.

At least in the last 10 years, it's my favorite fantasy show.
Old 04-12-20, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
If you include anime, you have to include most people's #1 fantasy series in that field, the Fate/Stay Night franchise.
I watched a few episodes of this and found it terrible.
Old 04-12-20, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Some of the choices...are out of left field in the fantasy category. Should have included Legend of the Seeker, a real fantasy show, over stuff like Buffy.
You know I could include only 25 series in the poll options. As for Legend of the Seeker, this series hasn`t done anything innovative or special for the Fantasy Genre. I found it to be cliched Fantasy and a pretty week series.
Old 04-12-20, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Troyaferd
You know I could include only 25 series in the poll options. As for Legend of the Seeker, this series hasn`t done anything innovative or special for the Fantasy Genre. I found it to be cliched Fantasy and a pretty week series.
never even heard of that.
Old 04-12-20, 01:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Would've been Game of Thrones before the final season, but had to go with my previous topper Buffy. Angel is a close second, with GoT sliding into 3rd place.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.