DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Star Trek: Picard - Et in Arcadia, Ego Part 1 (S1E9) - 3/19/20 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/650094-star-trek-picard-et-arcadia-ego-part-1-s1e9-3-19-20-a.html)

Mike86 03-19-20 10:10 AM

Star Trek: Picard - Et in Arcadia, Ego Part 1 (S1E9) - 3/19/20

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/ZT...gHVJGtAyak.jpg
Synopsis:
Following an unconventional and dangerous transit, Picard and the crew finally arrive at Soji’s home world, Coppelius. However, with Romulan warbirds on their tail, their arrival brings only greater danger as the crew discovers more than expected about the planet’s inhabitants.

Why So Blu? 03-19-20 12:01 PM

Re: Star Trek: Picard - Et in Arcadia, Ego Part 1 (S1E9) - 3/19/20

Another great episode!

dhmac 03-19-20 12:21 PM

They just up and gave Dr. Noonian Soong a never-before-mentioned biological son, even though in old Trek he only considered his android creations Data and Lore to be his "sons"

(I even checked Memory Alpha to be sure I wasn't forgetting something but, yeah, Dr. Soong never had a biological son... until now https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Noonian_Soong )

johnnysd 03-19-20 01:50 PM

another really strong episode. Doesn't bother me too much that they retconned a son for Soong. I thought the "twist" was kinda cool, hope I am right and the ancient synthetics become the big bad next year. Isa Briones continued the long Trek tradition of women looking hot with technicolor face colors. Does the remote control imagination based clicker thing heal Picard?

Deftones 03-19-20 02:21 PM

That was awesome. Seeing the Borg Cube come crashing out is the transwarp conduit was kick-ass.

Josh-da-man 03-19-20 03:07 PM

There's a theory floating around that Soong's son is actually Lore.

johnnysd 03-19-20 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13707724)

I have been thinking that as well

windom 03-19-20 10:50 PM

In the mind meld scene, that looked like it was "decomposing fox" from the True Blood opening credits. Likely both from this video:

lisadoris 03-20-20 06:20 AM

I had that thought as well. I wouldn't be mad if it's a retconned son and I wouldn't be mad if it's Lore.

Count Dooku 03-20-20 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 13708067)
In the mind meld scene, that looked like it was "decomposing fox" from the True Blood opening credits. Likely both from this video:

I recognized that and thought it was pretty lazy on the part of the Picard people.

Count Dooku 03-20-20 08:49 AM

But Lore isn't supposed to age, so then there would have to be a whole huge retcon explanation for that.

Bandoman 03-20-20 09:54 AM

Picard on a mission save the synthetics and it may turn out that they really are an existential threat to carbon-based humanoids? Cool!

milo bloom 03-20-20 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku (Post 13708241)
But Lore isn't supposed to age, so then there would have to be a whole huge retcon explanation for that.

Data can age, they said so in the TNG series. Which is why it was stupid for Spiner to want him to die in Nemesis so he wouldn't be a "wrinkly robot" or something.

I'm not sure how I feel about this one, all the other episodes had such a slow pace, and then this one crammed so much into a little bit of time. The whole series will benefit from rewatching in a binge.

Also wish we could have seen the Borg cube crashing. When it first hit the atmosphere, I was reminded of BSG when Adama jumped the Galactica into the atmosphere of New Caprica.

Kdogg 03-20-20 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku (Post 13708241)

Wasn’t he disassembled and his parts scattered across the galaxy? I would rather it be Lore than a bio son.

The Cow 03-20-20 10:58 AM

I'm in the hoping it is Lore camp. I recall he was disassembled (didn't remember the scattering), but not much more than that. Wasn't the emotion chip thing destroyed too?

dhmac 03-20-20 12:07 PM

If true, that would be a good plot twist. Lore is a such a great character that I think he should've been brought back to be the villain in one of the later TNG movies.

Also Dr. Soong did create a convincingly human-looking android version of his deceased wife Juliana implanted with her memories who didn't even know she was an android, so I wonder if this new son is really just another more human-looking android created with some of Dr. Soong's own memories but who thinks he's his real son. That would be a plausible next step for his research after Lore, Data, and Juliana. And even though Dr. Soong wasn't known for cloning, I could even see him cloning a younger version of himself as a "son" to carry on his work after him, given how obsessive he was with his research.

Eric F 03-20-20 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac (Post 13708406)
If true, that would be a good plot twist. Lore is a such a great character that I think he should've been brought back to be the villain in one of the later TNG movies.

Also Dr. Soong did create a convincingly human-looking android version of his deceased wife Juliana implanted with her memories who didn't even know she was an android, so I wonder if this new son is really just another more human-looking android created with some of Dr. Soong's own memories but who thinks he's his real son. That would be a plausible next step for his research after Lore, Data, and Juliana. And even though Dr. Soong wasn't known for cloning, I could even see him cloning a younger version of himself as a "son" to carry on his work after him, given how obsessive he was with his research.

Great episode,

Definitely thinking the same thing, that it was Lore or some other synthetic created by Dr. Soong or even Bruce Madox as a test subject.

Why So Blu? 03-20-20 03:07 PM

I find the Soji too doughy but I loved the way she played Sutra -- she was hot as that incarnation of her synth design. I wonder if she has a sister named Kama. ;) #amirite

[email protected] 03-20-20 06:47 PM

So what are the chances that its Picard's brain that ends up being transferred into that new synth?

Eric F 03-20-20 06:52 PM

Did anyone else wonder how a a synthetic life form “learned” how to do a Vulcan mind meld? It’s a psychic ability inherent to Vulcans (and maybe Romulans) isn’t it?

The Cow 03-20-20 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 13708684)
Did anyone else wonder how a a synthetic life form “learned” how to do a Vulcan mind meld? It’s a psychic ability inherent to Vulcans (and maybe Romulans) isn’t it?

This guy tries to rationalize it.

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/star-tr...eld-explained/

Eric F 03-20-20 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow (Post 13708708)

All he says is that if Data can do a nerve pinch then synths should be able to do the mind meld as well.

hdtv00 03-20-20 09:05 PM

Yea the kind of dumb logic you get from shit writing maybe.

dhmac 03-21-20 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 13708684)

Hey, Sutra has a passion for Vulcan culture! Isn't that all that's needed to learn how to do a mind meld? Just study a culture and magically gain psychic abilities.

Kdogg 03-21-20 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow (Post 13708349)
I'm in the hoping it is Lore camp. I recall he was disassembled (didn't remember the scattering), but not much more than that. Wasn't the emotion chip thing destroyed too?

It was removed from Lore but damaged. Geordi fixed it and installed it into Data during the movie Generations.