TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Coronavirus news -- TV edition

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-20, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Coronavirus news -- TV edition

https://deadline.com/2020/02/coronav...or-1202870836/

The Amazing Race 33 shot 3 episodes before they shut down.

Survivor is not in production. I believe it would be for the Fall season.
Old 02-28-20, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts
re: Coronavirus news -- TV edition

Okay, now it's a worldwide crisis!
Old 02-28-20, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

The article doesn't say anything about Survivor stopping production, just that it is not currently in production. I think they used shoot in April/May.
Old 02-28-20, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
The article doesn't say anything about Survivor stopping production, just that it is not currently in production. I think they used shoot in April/May.
Just looked at the last couple sets of seasons and they start filming late March/early April, so it's getting close to the point where production would probably start heading out pretty soon.

Amazing Race has a whole season already filmed over a year ago
Old 02-28-20, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk God

My apologies for not being accurate about Survivor. I'm glad to see that Windom freaked out and actually read the link to correct me.

From what I recall they shoot 2 seasons back to back every year. They've shot the last 8 seasons in Fiji. Only thing that could affect them is flights getting cancelled to that region.

https://www.menshealth.com/entertain...vor-locations/

Old 02-28-20, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts

I wonder if the Amazing Race would just start over from scratch? The logistics of starting back after three episodes would seem fairly difficult.
Old 02-28-20, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I wonder if the Amazing Race would just start over from scratch? The logistics of starting back after three episodes would seem fairly difficult.
If I were the Producers, I would scrap the 3 episodes shot and start over.

Just pulling them in the middle of the competition and then expecting them to pick up where they left off weeks, months later will throw off the entire rhythm of the show. Not only that, but it would throw off visual continuity as well.
Old 02-28-20, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts

At least these decisions makes more sense than the sales of Corona beer dropping 38% due to the Corona virus.
Old 02-29-20, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~
At least these decisions makes more sense than the sales of Corona beer dropping 38% due to the Corona virus.
Corona beer will be the new Ayds.
Old 02-29-20, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
If I were the Producers, I would scrap the 3 episodes shot and start over.

Just pulling them in the middle of the competition and then expecting them to pick up where they left off weeks, months later will throw off the entire rhythm of the show. Not only that, but it would throw off visual continuity as well.
I wonder if that would be legal. This is, more or less, a game show. Wouldn't really be fair to the players who survived the first three legs to have to replay them. I suspect this stuff would be covered in the contracts they sign; they probably have provisions for what to do in the event of a natural or man-made disaster.

It shouldn't be too difficult to stop and restart the race. The teams stay in hotels between legs, so there's no reason they can't delay the race for several months between legs if they need to.

My biggest concern is that if they stop the race after three legs, CBS will just cancel the series.
Old 02-29-20, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts

Since they have three shot and they shoot the show in three weeks, they should just switch to shooting the rest of the race in the US. They would have to change the last 7 legs since I'm sure they have every leg planned out already. The last leg is always in the U.S. anyways so they would just need to change everything else to U.S. legs. They haven't done an all U.S. season since the Family season with teams of 4.
Old 02-29-20, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

What if some of the teams aren't able to take off from work when the show resumes production?
Old 02-29-20, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts

^That's a good question.

I wonder, if they had to scuttle a season for some catastrophic reason, if they would pay out some kind of stipend to all of the racers, or divide the million dollar prize among the remaining teams.
Old 02-29-20, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts

What if some of the teams aren't able to take off from work when the show resumes production?
At least it's possible to suspend TAR. There is no way you could suspend Survivor mid-season.
Old 03-11-20, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk God

https://deadline.com/2020/03/survivo...ic-1202880044/

Production on season 41 of Survivor postponed until late May.
Old 03-12-20, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Yeah, the last thing the Survivor crew needs to do is fly in and infect a place with zero cases.
Old 03-13-20, 09:22 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Re: Coronavirus news -- TV edition

I'm making this the catch all thread for TV news related to the pandemic.

“Grey’s Anatomy” – On Thursday, March 12, the executive producers of “Grey’s Anatomy” sent this email to its cast and crew: “Out of an abundance of caution, production is postponed on Grey’s Anatomy effective immediately. We are going home now for at least two weeks and waiting to see how the coronavirus situation evolves. This decision was made to ensure the health and safety of the whole cast and crew and the safety of our loved ones outside of work, and it was made in accordance with Mayor Garcetti’s suggestion that we not gather in groups of more than 50. Stay safe, stay healthy, stay hydrated, stay home as much as possible, and wash your hands frequently. Please take care of yourselves and each other. As updates come in, we will keep you informed. Thank you for all that you do! Krista, Debbie, & James.” The series has reportedly shot 21 of the planned 25 episodes for its 16th season.

“The Price Is Right” and “Card Sharks” – Production has halted on the hit daytime game show, Fremantle announced, because the company is taking measures to minimize the risk of exposure. The format of the show, which sees host Drew Carey calling audience members to “come on down” and play the game relies on having in-studio guests, so the show simply could not go on without a live audience. For similar reasons, the company said it is also postponing production for the second season of its primetime reboot of “Card Sharks,” which was originally supposed to return to ABC’s lineup this summer.

“America’s Got Talent” and “Family Feud” – Live audiences have been suspended for these two Fremantle series. The company released a statement that explained, “Due to the ongoing global situation around Covid-19, we have been working closely with our production teams and network partners to take measures to help minimize the risk of exposure to our cast, crew and live audiences.”

“The Morning Show” – Media Res, the studio behind the buzzy Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon series, has announced season 2 production will go on a two-week hiatus with immediate effect. Sources close to the production say that no one from the cast or crew is sick, has exhibited symptoms or has tested positive for the Coronavirus, but that the decision to shut down production was taken out of concern for those working on the show. “In concert with our dedicated partners at Apple, we have concluded it would be prudent to take a two-week hiatus to assess the situation and ensure the safety of the incredible people who make this show,” said Media Res founder and CEO Michael Ellenberg in a statement.

“Real Time With Bill Maher” – Beginning Friday, March 13 the HBO late-night series is forgoing its live in-studio audience.

“Riverdale” – Warner Bros. TV pulled the production plug on the CW show after a member of the production came into contact with someone who recently tested positive for the coronavirus. The series was in the process of shooting its fourth season in Vancouver. “We are working closely with the appropriate authorities and health agencies in Vancouver to identify and contact all individuals who may have come into direct contact with our team member,” read a statement from a WB TV spokesperson.

“Grace and Frankie” – Shooting on the final season of Netflix’s “Grace and Frankie” has been halted “to ensure the safety of our cast and crew,” per a statement from the show’s producer Skydance Television.

“Survivor” – CBS made the decision to delay production on season 41 of the competition series, which was set to begin filming later this month in Fiji.

“The Amazing Race” – Production on season 33 of the show has been temporarily shut down amid the increasing number of cases of coronavirus worldwide. CBS said the move was undertaken “out of an abundance of caution,” as the respiratory virus has not impacted anyone directly involved with the show.

“NCIS,” “NCIS: Los Angeles” and “NCIS New Orleans” – According to sources, shooting has been temporarily halted on all three “NCIS” shows.

“The Good Fight” – Shooting on the upcoming fourth season of the CBS All Access legal drama has been suspended, according to sources with knowledge of the production.

“Bull” – The series has currently aired 16 episodes of its fourth season, but the decision has been made to stop production for the time being.

“Carnival Row” – Star Orlando Bloom revealed that production on season 2 of the Amazon series, which was taking place in Budapest, has been halted. Bloom noted in an Instagram video that he was being sent home to the United States as a result.

“The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” and “Late Night with Seth Meyers” – Both NBC late night shows are suspending production through their previously planned hiatus, which was scheduled for the week of March 23. They had previously planned to shoot without an audience.

“The Late Show With Stephen Colbert” – The CBS late night show has gone on hiatus, issuing a statement saying, the show has “postponed production on the three original episodes scheduled for next week, which lead into a previously scheduled hiatus. We will continue to monitor the situation closely with plans to return on Monday, March 30.”

“The Wendy Williams Show” – Production on the syndicated talk show has been suspended “indefinitely.” It will air repeats.

“Dynasty” – According to sources to sources close the production, the CW series has suspended production.
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/f...ed-1203532033/

In the most sweeping TV studio response to the growing coronavirus pandemic yet, NBCUniversal has suspended production on the majority of its TV series across all entertainment production units, Universal Television, UCP, Universal Television Alternative Studios and First Run Syndication productions. That totals about 35 shows, I hear.

The list includes all Dick Wolf dramas still in production, Chicago Fire, Chicago P.D, Chicago Med and Law & Order: SVU for NBC and FBI for CBS, as well as NBC’s New Amsterdam — all from Universal Television — upcoming limited series for Peacock Angelyne starring Emmy Rossum from UCP and NBCU’s breakout freshman syndicated talker The Kelly Clarkson Show. When possible, shows will finish their current episodes. The Kelly Clarkson Show will have one more original airing tomorrow before the break.

As Deadline reported earlier today, Uni TV yesterday put on hold production of several series that had not yet started filming, Season 2 on Russian Doll, starring Natasha Lyonne, for Netflix, Season 2 of anthology Little America for Apple and Season 1 of Rutherford Falls, headlined by Ed Helms.

The Chicago shows film in Chicago, which had the first known case of a TV production staffer testing positive for the coronavirus, a crew member of new Fox drama NeXt. Meanwhile, the FBI dramas shoot in New York, where Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today declared a state of emergency over the rapid spread of the coronavirus.

“The safety and health of our cast, crew and employees is our top priority.,” NBCU said in a statement Thursday night. “Where possible, we are pausing production for two weeks as a precautionary measure, following which we will reassess and determine an appropriate start date. In some cases, we are accelerating plans to wrap up physical production.”

While most shows are expected to resume production, the Dick Wolf dramas, which are close to wrapping their seasons, are among a few that will not return, calling it a season, I hear. That is a strategy also employed by CBS TV Studios on its procedural dramas.
https://deadline.com/2020/03/coronav...ne-1202881992/
Old 03-13-20, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk God

https://deadline.com/2020/03/the-fla...Oufx1iZEYcXcnQ

The Flash has shut down production

Old 03-13-20, 01:29 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

The fast-spreading outbreak has shut down or postponed production on about 50 scripted series across broadcast and streaming; ultimately, all shows are expected to grind to a halt, and some will end up delivering shorter seasons.

The pandemic is also threatening to derail pilot season.

I hear Universal Television has put all of its broadcasting pilots on hold. None will go into production for at least the next two weeks and likely longer, I have learned. CBS TV Studios is not proceeding with production on their drama pilots. The studio’s handful of comedy pilots — all multi-camera or hybrid — have either already wrapped or are well into production. CBS TV Studios alluded to that in their statement about response to the coronavirus. “Over the past few days, we began making decisions to temporarily postpone production on some of our pilots and current series,” the studio said Thursday night.

Impacted are some of the highest-profile titles of 2020 pilot season, The Equalizer starring Queen Latifah and Ways & Means headlined by Patrick Dempsey, on CBS, and Langdon on NBC.

I hear Disney TV Studios and Warner Bros. TV have not made final decisions on their outstanding pilots but both are seriously considering pushing at least some. One of the pilots that is being discussed for a delay is the Fox/20th TV dramedy The Big Leap. It has been gearing up for production in Chicago, the place of the first known case of a TV production member infected with coronavirus; the person worked for a series produced by the same studio, NeXt. If The Big Leap is pushed, I hear it may be all the way to June.

That would normally be considered off-cycle, but this year, the so-called cycle is being turned on its head by the coronavirus crisis. Yesterday, all broadcast networks canceled their glitzy in-person May upfront presentations, which have served as the culmination and finish line of pilot season. All have opted for alternative ways to present their new shows and lineups to advertisers, largely televised/streamed presentations without audience.

Of the broadcasters, only CBS specified in their statement announcing the cancellation that their replacement event, a “video Upfront special,” will be posted online the same day as the network’s staple upfront gala at Carnegie Hall. The other networks did not list a date, possibly giving themselves flexibility to go away with tradition and present their new programming later, thus reducing the pressure to have finished, tested and screened pilots by mid-May.

Even before the events of the last couple of days, there had been signs that things would be different this pilot season because of the coronavirus. Several networks limited travel to set for their executives, multi-camera pilots started filming without studio audience. But when the virus’ rapid spread engulfed Hollywood — and the rest of the world — it became clear that drastic measures would be required.

With the health of employees at stake and authorities banning large gatherings in the U.S. and around the world this week, across-the-board production shutdowns were inevitable.

Because of the fast-moving situation and the uncertainty surrounding the spread of the virus, It is unclear when many of the 2020 broadcast pilots will be made. That may boost chances of bubble shows getting renewed for next season.

Then there is the threat of a writers strike on May 1. Given the extraordinary circumstances, with Hollywood, along with the rest of the world, in turmoil, trying to slow the spread of the virus, I had been hearing chatter that the current contract could be extended.

If that doesn’t happen and there is a strike, the consequences may be devastating, industry insiders say.

The impact from the coronavirus pandemic on TV production already has been as profound as a prolonged writers strike. As Deadline reported last month, a writers’ strike will likely accelerate scripted programming’s decline on linear television, especially on broadcast where networks have been increasingly relying on live, unscripted and sports programming.

If the coronavirus crisis is followed by a writers strike, the double whammy may be too catastrophic for the broadcast networks to recover from, observers note.
https://deadline.com/2020/03/pilot-s...DYw7B79118YX0s
Old 03-13-20, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Erin Cummings said today that she was cast in the Lincoln Lawyer pilot, which CBS already picked up to series. They were supposed to do their table read today and shoot the Pilot on Monday. But, she said all that was cancelled. She said the showrunner hopes to resume production in June.
Old 03-13-20, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Wonder which current shows might be vulnerable to cancellation, using this current time as an excuse for cleaning house by the networks.

For example back in 2007 writer's strike, something like Las Vegas.

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/l...unning-series/
Old 03-13-20, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts

The Bachelorette has been postponed. It was supposed to start filming today.
Old 03-13-20, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk God

More shutdowns.

https://deadline.com/2020/03/batwoma...us-1202882685/

These are WB properties. Supergirl, God Friended Me, Batwoman, All Rise, Young Sheldon, and even the 2nd season of Pennyworth.

For the network shows, if they don't resume production some of these seasons will end incomplete. 22 to 23 episode orders won't be fulfilled.
Old 03-13-20, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
For the network shows, if they don't resume production some of these seasons will end incomplete. 22 to 23 episode orders won't be fulfilled.
Wonder if the contracts for advertising time, have provisions where the advertisers get a refund on episodes which are never aired (or made).

Going back to the 2007 writer's strike, some shows had less than 20 episodes made such as:

CSI season 8 -> 17 episodes
NCIS season 5 -> 19 episodes
Law & Order SVU season 9 -> 19 episodes
Old 03-13-20, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Kinda ironic since tv has a captive audience right now with so many people shuttered in their homes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.