Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Plot Against America (HBO) - C: David Simon - S: Turturro, Ryder, Kazan - premieres 3/16/20

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Plot Against America (HBO) - C: David Simon - S: Turturro, Ryder, Kazan - premieres 3/16/20

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-20, 01:51 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

From creators David Simon and Ed Burns comes The Plot Against America, an alternate American history story of the country’s turn to fascism told through the eyes of a working-class Jewish family in New Jersey. Starring Zoe Kazan, Morgan Spector, Winona Ryder, and John Turturro, the limited series premieres on March 16th at 9PM.

The Plot Against America, a six-part miniseries based on the acclaimed novel by Philip Roth. Here’s everything you need to know.

What is it? The Plot Against America imagines an alternate American history told through the eyes of a working-class Jewish family in New Jersey. The story follows the family as they watch the political rise of Charles Lindbergh, an aviator-hero and xenophobic populist, who becomes president and turns the nation towards fascism.

Who’s in it? The ensemble cast will include: Winona Ryder as Evelyn Finkel. Evelyn is unmarried, her plans arrested by 10 years of caring for her infirm mother, and is hungry to find her own place in life. The sudden attentions of a key Lindbergh supporter — the politically ascendant clergyman, Rabbi Lionel Bengelsdorf — are exhilarating and transformational for her

Zoe Kazan as Elizabeth “Bess” Levin, younger sister to Evelyn. An insightful mother and homemaker, who fears for the future as she tries to protect her family from the escalating political climate and plan a possible escape for the forces that seem to be threatening her world.

Morgan Spector as Herman Levin, the proud and opinionated father, who works as an insurance agent and tries to maintain normalcy in the life of his family and friends even as his country seems to be slipping into fascism, anti-Semitism and xenophobic isolationism.

Anthony Boyle as Alvin Levin, the angry and intelligent orphaned nephew to Herman. He allows political differences with his family, personal grudges and resentments, and his own abhorrence of hypocrisy and cant to drive him from street crime to the battlefields of Europe and back.

Azhy Robertson as Philip Levin, the youngest of the Levin family. Philip copes with his own innocent curiosity and growing anxiety in a world that seems to be collapsing around him, both at home and in the streets.

Caleb Malis as Sandy Levin, the Levin’s artistic teenage son, who rebels against his family and his father in particular as his adolescence becomes entangled with his growing admiration for Lindbergh — a stance encouraged by his beloved Aunt Evelyn’s guidance.

John Turturro as Rabbi Lionel Bengelsdorf, a conservative rabbi and a transplant from Charleston, S.C. where he gained his first synagogue pulpit and became a widower with the death of his affluent wife. Bengelsdorf seizes the reins of history to become a key figure in the emergent Lindbergh administration — despite growing opposition within the Jewish community as a whole.

Who’s behind it? The new six-part miniseries hails from David Simon and Ed Burns — the team behind The Wire and miniseries Generation Kill. Simon and Burns will both serve as writers and executive producers on the series. Additional executive producers on the project include Joe Roth, Nina Noble, Megan Ellison, Sue Naegle, Susan Goldberg and Jeff Kirschenbaum; co-executive producers are Dennis Stratton and Philip Roth.
Old 01-31-20, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
re: The Plot Against America (HBO) - C: David Simon - S: Turturro, Ryder, Kazan - premieres 3/16/20

Reminds me a bit of Years and Years for the BBC. Could be interesting
Old 01-31-20, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts
re: The Plot Against America (HBO) - C: David Simon - S: Turturro, Ryder, Kazan - premieres 3/16/20

Glad to see Simon working with Ed Burns again.
Old 03-16-20, 07:44 AM

From creators David Simon and Ed Burns comes The Plot Against America, an alternate American history story of the country’s turn to fascism told through the eyes of a working-class Jewish family in New Jersey. Starring Zoe Kazan, Morgan Spector, Winona Ryder, and John Turturro, the limited series premieres on March 16th at 9PM.
Old 03-18-20, 09:15 AM

Re: The Plot Against America (HBO) - C: David Simon - S: Turturro, Ryder, Kazan - premieres 3/16/20

Great start.
Old 03-18-20, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,739 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Re: The Plot Against America (HBO) - C: David Simon - S: Turturro, Ryder, Kazan - premieres 3/16/20

Watched about half of the first episode and lost interest. Seemed kind of boring. Might "binge" it when it's over.
Old 03-18-20, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

On my DVR. Will be watching this week, cuz, what the hey, I got time.
Old 03-19-20, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I’m a big fan of the novel and Roth’s work in general but the first episode of this was pretty snoozy. Everyone seemed to be sleepwalking through it. John Turturro is the only one who really sparked.
Old 03-20-20, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,739 Likes on 1,888 Posts

I always meant to read the novel, but never got around to it.

It strikes me as something that might work better as a book than a film/tv series.
Old 03-24-20, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I liked it and can't wait to see how this unravels

I always thought of Lindbergh as this national hero but I was wrong.
Old 03-24-20, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It strikes me as something that might work better as a book than a film/tv series.
It's been years since I read the book, but it strikes me that the novel is better at capturing young Philip's POV so the stuff about stamps and following strangers fits better. Here, in this condensed format where the politics is so much more important, the scenes with Philip just seem like unnecessary tangents.
Old 03-25-20, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
It's been years since I read the book, but it strikes me that the novel is better at capturing young Philip's POV so the stuff about stamps and following strangers fits better. Here, in this condensed format where the politics is so much more important, the scenes with Philip just seem like unnecessary tangents.
Yeah, I'm wondering what the hell that's all about
Old 03-25-20, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paff
Yeah, I'm wondering what the hell that's all about
My recollection is that the novel is more from the perspective of Philip. So he is living a child's life with a child's concerns, and these changes in society that he really doesn't understand are happening around him.
Old 03-25-20, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
My recollection is that the novel is more from the perspective of Philip. So he is living a child's life with a child's concerns, and these changes in society that he really doesn't understand are happening around him.
Exactly. I really enjoyed the book and thought at the time that it would translate well to television but so far the series just hasn't caught my interest like I expected. It's the story of a young boy watching his family, community, and country turn on themselves over issues he barely understands and when it all burns itself out at the end he still doesn't understand what happened but is somehow expected to carry on with his life. It's almost like the show is being too literal with the story and everything is being laid out clearly for the viewer in a way that never happens in the book.
Old 03-26-20, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I like the set pieces and time period quite a bit and do recall enjoying the book, but yeah the young Phillip is kind of a distraction, the rest of the show is working for me though...
Old 03-26-20, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What was up with the kid wanting the other kid to touch his mom's dresses?
Old 03-31-20, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anybody find the dad kind of annoying?

We get it he hates Lindbergh but he brings up politics all the time no matter where he goes.
Old 03-31-20, 07:22 PM

Kind of like how some people do that all the time these days...

I thought last night’s episode was really good.
Old 04-01-20, 08:36 AM

Also thought this week's ep was really good, and think the set work is great, I am immersed in the experience, I really don't need my stress levels any higher but this show is doing it, nice work by Simon and Ed Burns
Old 04-01-20, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Anybody find the dad kind of annoying?

We get it he hates Lindbergh but he brings up politics all the time no matter where he goes.
I was feeling the same thing watching the episode. His kid is scared, his wife is in tears, and he won't shut his fucking mouth. I was thinking, "You're on a family vacation. Shut your trap and sight-see!"
But the eviction from the hotel puts it in a different perspective. Whether he voiced his opinions or not, the family was going to be targeted for being Jewish. And in that context staying quiet seems like the wrong thing to do.
There's the saying "America: Love it of Leave it!" But truly loving America would demand that people stand up and speak out when injustice is occurring, or when America's leaders are taking it down the wrong path.
The episode mentions the Fight or Flight response, and it would make sense to protect your family by (simply) moving to Canada, but every Jew in the US can't escape north. And if the Lindbergh presidency does portend the Nazi-ism of America, then the Jews are just the beginning. If everybody decides the best thing to do is to keep quiet and get along, then aren't they just inviting an American Holocaust later in the decade?
Old 04-01-20, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

True he is the lone voice in the wilderness.

I like Wynona Ryder but she is kind of the weak link on the show with her acting.
Old 04-21-20, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sad it is over and wanted more.

It looked like it might be kind of a happy ending at first.

Morgan Spector will be on my radar after what he did on this show.
Old 04-22-20, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked it too. Never read the book, but from what I saw in another review,
Spoiler:
FDR wins the 1942 special election, Japan bombs Pearl Harbor, and history pretty much travels on the existing path, just delayed by two years

Glad they didn't go with it. Honestly, it's a cop-out and makes me no longer want to read the book. It's also good timing that this aired during the COVID-19 pandemic, as there's even more parallels with current events in the US. It's eerie the way Trump (sorry to take this political) has emboldened the lockdown protests almost the same way Lindbergh emboldened the anti-semitic acts in The Plot.

I hope real life has a happier ending than this miniseries.
Old 04-23-20, 08:43 AM

This was great, I had read the book but actually forgot how it all ended... Really enjoyed the set design in this and the story is chilling.. good stuff from Simon and Burns...
Old 04-23-20, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish more people gave it a chance

Probably not enough murders to keep people tuned in

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.