DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Star Trek: Picard - Remembrance (S1E1) - 1/23/20 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/649694-star-trek-picard-remembrance-s1e1-1-23-20-a.html)

Mike86 01-23-20 01:51 AM

Star Trek: Picard - Remembrance (S1E1) - 1/23/20

Synopsis:
At the end of the 24th Century, and 14 years after his retirement from Starfleet, Jean-Luc Picard (Sir Patrick Stewart) is living a quiet life on his vineyard, Chateau Picard. When he is sought out by a mysterious young woman, Dahj (Isa Briones), in need of his help, he soon realizes she may have personal connections to his own past.

Mike86 01-23-20 03:05 AM

Re: Star Trek: Picard - Remembrance (S1E1) - 1/23/20

Pretty solid premiere episode. It has a sense of familiarity, but is also not just a continuation of TNG. Stewart is fantastic as expected and so far the rest of the characters introduced seem likable enough. The show is also beautifully shot. CBS does seem to give these Trek shows pretty good budgets to work with.

Spoiler:
Interesting that there are (or were) in fact two girls and that they are in essence Data’s daughters.

So far it’s seeming like Data is most likely going to be dream sequences only, which does make sense.

Overall I can’t wait for next week and the rest of the season.

mspmms 01-23-20 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13675670)
Pretty solid premiere episode. It has a sense of familiarity, but is also not just a continuation of TNG. Stewart is fantastic as expected and so far the rest of the characters introduced seem likable enough. The show is also beautifully shot. CBS does seem to give these Trek shows pretty good budgets to work with.

I agree that it looked beautiful.

When it started with Bing Crosby's "Blue Skies" at the opening you quickly get the idea this is not going to be the typical TNG Star Trek :thumbsup:

Deftones 01-23-20 09:13 AM

That was good, although pretty slow to start. That ending, though. Damn. Color me intrigued. Bastards at CBS found the only content I will pay for: Star Trek. :lol:

Visually this was pretty stellar. The CGI looked movie quality.

You can tell how old Stewart is, though. Specifically with his voice. He doesn't have the same gravitas he did during the TNG days. I have seen arguments that he is acting this way on purpose, but I have seen him on some talk shows and he does seem to have lost a step. Who knows.

Mike86 01-23-20 09:44 AM

I actually thought the episode flew by really fast personally. As far as Stewart, I think it’s a combination of both. Picard is worn down and obviously Stewart is close to being 80 years old. Still thought he was good, but yeah it’s not TNG prime Captain Picard.

adamblast 01-23-20 01:09 PM

So far, so good. I had outrageously high hopes, and they haven't all been dashed, so there's that... I really like Pill and Treadaway, and I'm no longer worried about whether Stewart is up to it. His work is as good as ever. A solid first ep. I'm not sure I understood what the ending meant. Was I supposed to?

From the previews:
Spoiler:
I had to look up Santiago Cabrera, hope he's a fun add the to the cast... and not annoying as hell... Star Trek has a lousy track record with swashbucklers. Outrageous Okona, anyone?

Mike86 01-23-20 01:50 PM

Spoiler:
The ending seems to be implying that the Romulans are doing something with that Borg Cube, and probably want to use Dahj’s sister (didn’t catch her name). My guess is they’re trying to replicate her or something.

Maybe the Romulans are plotting to make a group of evil synthetics or essentially Borgs, which they can manipulate and use against Starfleet/Earth as revenge for what happened to them. Seems like it would make sense.

We know Seven of Nine and Hugh come into play at some point. They both were Borgs that broke from the collective and could potentially help Picard and company with defeating the Romulan synthetics or maybe breaking them from the collective.

Count Dooku 01-23-20 06:07 PM

I sort of resent that the show is going to make me revisit events that occurred in the shitty Nemesis movie.

0073735963 01-23-20 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku (Post 13676078)
I sort of resent that the show is going to make me revisit events that occurred in the shitty Nemesis movie.

Nah....the only odd part of the episode for me was when Pill’s character gave the Nemesis/B4 exposition to Picard. Picard already knows that Data downloaded his memories, etc...he was there! Lol.

I am going to re-watch The Measure of a Man though for the Maddox references.

Agree on the visuals. 1701-D looked amazing.

eXcentris 01-23-20 09:37 PM

I liked it a lot but I'm not sure I got that ending:

Spoiler:
Twin synth works for the Romulans on a Borg cube?

This is broadcast here on CTV Sci-Fi but commercials annoy me to hell. I'll just do like Discovery, wait for the season to be over, get CraveTV for a month and watch all the HBO/CBS/... stuff I need to watch.

OldBoy 01-23-20 10:08 PM

That was an amazing start. As I said, never watched any of the series, but saw every theatrical movie with every cast. Just liked them and never could get or try any series. No reason why and seems odd, but most of the movies, especially TNG movies, I really enjoyed. The production value on this was excellent and must cost a few dabloons. But what little I did know, made everything more poignant. Data, Riker and Seven of Nine in future and looks to be kicking ass.
So I’m all in for a limited series like this absolutely. Love Stewart and this was so well done and Sir Patrick still top of game. So that was Romulans on Borg cube ship, right? How did that happen? Should I watch Nemesis movie to understand that end?
Either way, wow, what an excellent, intriguing, mystery series.

Mike86 01-23-20 10:22 PM

The shows are way better than most of the movies. Particularly TOS, TNG, and DS9. There’s a lot of episodes though.

eXcentris 01-23-20 10:37 PM

Well I guess we did see what we thought we saw:

Spoiler:
To get answers, TVLine turned to Picard executive producer Akiva Goldsman who assured us our eyes weren’t deceiving us: “Clearly, the Romulans and the Borg are dripping with history in relation to Jean-Luc Picard, so not coincidentally, they exist in our season.” He confirmed that the site where we first meet Soji and Narek “is both a Romulan base and a Borg cube”… but “in a way that is probably not the way you’re thinking.”

That shot of the Borg cube “is a weird place to leave after the first episode,” fellow EP Heather Kadin admits, “but hopefully, it makes people go, ‘Wait, what’s going on?’ And then they have to keep watching.”

We won’t learn more until Episode 2 debuts next Thursday on CBS All Access...

The Valeyard 01-23-20 11:36 PM

It's fun watching the show with my wife who has no real understanding of its history (not a Star Trek fan) and have her react to that last shot. Even she understood the reference.

Love that they referenced
Spoiler:
the supernova that destroyed Romulus. Continuing the other side of the Kelvin Timeline.

alfredog1976 01-23-20 11:53 PM

Thought it was great...lots of easter eggs from TNG (probably would have forgotten some of them had I not watched TNG again a few years ago).

For those that don't know, Wil Wheaton hosts the after show, lots of good stuff in there:

Why So Blu? 01-24-20 02:11 AM

Watched it just now. Looking at the image that I clearly saw and what it was called made me jizz myself. "Romulan Reclamation Site?" :lol: The season preview also gave it away there. ;)

Shannon Nutt 01-24-20 06:15 AM

When I watched the episode, I thought the synthetics attacked the Mars base WHILE Picard was off helping the Romulans, but the Ready Room show confirmed that the base was attacked BEFORE Picard was able to help the Romulans, which led to Starfleet pulling the plug on the project, which led to Picard resigning...which makes a LOT more sense. :) I also didn't realize until watching the Ready Room that those two Romulans (I actually thought the woman was a Vulcan) at Picard's home were refugees from the Romulan incident. So Wil Weaton's show is proving to be a nice companion piece so far.

I liked all the scenes with Stewart and didn't like the scenes without him...but I guess that makes sense since we don't really know the other characters yet. I found the last scene with the Romulans on the Borg ship confusing (are they BUILDING a Borg cube...are they REPAIRING one...are they taking one apart?). But I guess we'll learn more in upcoming shows.

Tom Banjo 01-24-20 06:27 AM

The CBS app is pure shit. I’ve been trying to watch this for 24 hours, but keep getting an error message when I try to play. I’ve done the uninstall/reinstall thing already, so I guess I just sit here with my thumb up my ass until it decides to work.

Noonan 01-24-20 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 13676243)
When I watched the episode, I thought the synthetics attacked the Mars base WHILE Picard was off helping the Romulans, but the Ready Room show confirmed that the base was attacked BEFORE Picard was able to help the Romulans, which led to Starfleet pulling the plug on the project, which led to Picard resigning...which makes a LOT more sense. :) I also didn't realize until watching the Ready Room that those two Romulans (I actually thought the woman was a Vulcan) at Picard's home were refugees from the Romulan incident. So Wil Weaton's show is proving to be a nice companion piece so far.

Sounds like I should watch it too because I had the same thought; that the attack happened mid-evacuation, not before. Love that he has a pit bull named Number 1 :lol:

The actor playing the guy at his house is out of place for me; I don't recall seeing him in anything other than The Passage. Ruthless zombie to peaceful helper in France is a bit of a swing.

Eric F 01-24-20 09:21 AM

Great first episode. I expected it to look amazing considering how Discovery has been the best looking show on TV for the past 2 seasons.

Here's my theory on what's happening:

After the Romulan sun went Nova and the rescue effort by Picard began, a xenophobic faction of Starfleet (let's say Section 31) corrupted synthetic programming (former Borg?) to attack the Mars shipyards. A faction of Romulans after discovering this are now seeking out the synthetics who are left to be able to use the disabled Borg cube to regain their place in the universe.

Am I totally off base?

alfredog1976 01-24-20 01:10 PM

There's also a weekly podcast, Patrick Stewart is in the first podcast:
https://deadline.com/2020/01/patrick...-1-1202839023/

Count Dooku 01-24-20 01:40 PM

I liked all the scenes with Stewart and didn't like the scenes without him...but I guess that makes sense since we don't really know the other characters yet. I found the last scene with the Romulans on the Borg ship confusing (are they BUILDING a Borg cube...are they REPAIRING one...are they taking one apart?). But I guess we'll learn more in upcoming shows.

They said on the Wheaton show that they did not want to do a huge exposition dump explaining what all has happened to Picard and in history since Nemesis, but for fans those would certainly be burning questions, so the pieces of the puzzle have to be revealed as the series goes along, right?

Just for example: What were these synths? They weren't sentient androids like Data, but the Federation never had any synthetic humanoid workers at all, unless they mean the photonic EMHs that ended up being used for labor (as shown on VOY).

Also I had to do some extra reading to get that this series is incorporating the Romulan Sun exploding from the Star Trek movie that established the Kelvin Timeline, but continuing the effects of that event in the Prime timeline.

Spoiler:
I also read that the advanced technology of Nero's mining ship was due to the Romulan appropriation of captured Borg technology.

alfredog1976 01-24-20 01:47 PM

I also didn't realize until watching the Ready Room that those two Romulans (I actually thought the woman was a Vulcan) at Picard's home were refugees from the Romulan incident. So Wil Weaton's show is proving to be a nice companion piece so far.

The Star Trek Picard Countdown comic book establishes
Spoiler:
those 2 Romulans are more than just refugees

I would imagine the comic book would be considered canon, but may not be the case.

DJariya 01-24-20 03:27 PM

Beautifully directed by Hanelle Culpepper. Picard's vineyard looks stunning in HD. I looked at Culpepper's background and prior to her working on Discovery last year, she was your typical for hire TV director. CBS must have really liked her work here to also make her co-executive Producer.

I also thought it was a good start. Sure it was not all action, but it was mostly set up.

I couldn't figure out where I've seen the actor who played Picard's Romulan housekeeper before. She looked really familiar. Then I looked it up. It was Orla Brady. She actually worked with Kurtzman on Fringe years ago.

I kind of chuckled when Dahj took Picard up that roof and he was gasping for air. You don't do that to an almost 80 year old man. :lol: This isn't 1987 Picard.

A couple things I noticed. The audio was really low and some scenes I could barely make out what they were saying so I had to turn on the Roku subs. Also, they obviously formatted for air on TV in other regions because it noticeable act breaks going to commercial break. I know Discovery is also formatted that way.

Shannon Nutt 01-24-20 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13676528)
I kind of chuckled when Dahj took Picard up that roof and he was gasping for air. You don't do that to an almost 80 year old man. :lol: This isn't 1987 Picard.

Stewart is almost 80, but Picard is in his early 90s according to Michael Chabon.