Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Another 24 revival being developed at FOX

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-14-20, 10:17 AM

Received 2,582 Likes on 1,768 Posts

At TCA last week, Fox Entertainment President Michael Thorn hinted that a new incarnation of 24 maybe in the works. As Deadline reported at the time, the new concept, that has been gaining momentum, is being developed by The Resident showrunner Todd Harthan with 20th Century Fox TV and Imagine TV.

Following the TCA panel for the final season of Homeland today, Deadline asked former 24 executive producer/showrunner Howard Gordon, who remains involved in the franchise, about the new project.

“Fox certainly wants to do it, and we’re talking,” Gordon said, adding, “When I say talking, what it will be. The big headline being it has to be worth doing. We can’t do it to just do it. We want to find the right story. Todd Harthan who is running The Resident is working on it. I’m a friend of the court.”

Gordon would not elaborate what the premise for the new 24 would be as it’s still evolving. According to sources, the general idea involves a revival element with star Kiefer Sutherland — and possibly other key cast members — returning.

Sources stress that talks are still very preliminary and there is no one attached but Gordon indicated that we may know more in a couple of months.

“I hope that there will be some traction this spring, just deciding what it might be,” he said.

In May, Fox opted not to go forward with two potential new 24 series it had been developing: a real-time legal thriller written by Gordon and Jeremy Doner, and a prequel that traces the origin story of CTU agent Jack Bauer, from Gordon and 24 co-creators Joel Surnow and Bob Cochran.

“We continue to talk about 24,” Thorn told Deadline last week. “There is nothing that is ready to announce on either front but if there is a way to do another 24, we would be thrilled to do it. But it has got to feel special and worthy of doing as opposed to just another season.”

Following its Emmy-winning eight-season original run, 24 returned for limited series 24: Live Another Day and reboot 24: Legacy.
https://deadline.com/2020/01/24-howa...and-1202829657
Old 01-14-20, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,649 Likes on 1,209 Posts
Re: Another 24 revival being developed at FOX

Kiefer or no deal. Sounds like they finally want to go with that approach. Hey if they make this for 2021, it will be just in time for the 20th anniversary of the series.
Old 01-14-20, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 129 Likes on 106 Posts

"According to sources, the general idea involves a revival element with star Kiefer Sutherland — and possibly other key cast members — returning."

Most of the other characters are dead. I guess that means Chloe and Tony....maybe Kate Morgan.
Old 01-14-20, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

This should not be a difficult show to serialize, but it needs to be well thought out. The world has enough problems to draw from, pick one as the "big bad", then pick 6 other smaller problems to turn into four episode arcs that keep the plot chugging along.

Big Bad = Mexican Cartel
Smaller Problems...
1. Earthquake
2. Tsunami
3. Nuclear Power Plant is damaged
4. Cartel now has dirty bomb
5. Bomb goes off at border
6. President goes crazy

Mix in a kidnapping, migrants trying to get across the border, delusional rednecks, some moles in any agency, a mountain lion and Jack Bauer torturing/killing everyone in sight. That's a season. I don't need anybody related to Jack being involved with the bad guys, I don't need threads from last season getting shoehorned in, I don't need relationship drama. Give me over the top stupid action and cliffhangers. I'm a simple man, give me simple 24.

Last edited by sauce07; 01-14-20 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-14-20, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07 View Post
This should not be a difficult show to serialize, but it needs to be well thought out. The world has enough problems to draw from, pick one as the "big bad", then pick 6 other smaller problems to turn into four episode arcs that keep the plot chugging along.

Big Bad = Mexican Cartel
Smaller Problems...
1. Earthquake
2. Tsunami
3. Nuclear Power Plant is damaged
4. Cartel now has dirty bomb
5. Bomb goes off at border
6. President goes crazy

Mix in a kidnapping, migrants trying to get across the boarding, delusional rednecks, some moles in any agency, a mountain lion and Jack Bauer torturing/killing everyone in sight. That's a season. I don't need anybody related to Jack being involved with the bad guys, I don't need threads from last season getting shoehorned in, I don't need relationship drama. Give me over the top stupid action and cliffhangers. I'm a simple man, give me simple 24.
Wait!!! There's a mountain lion?!?

Sold!
Old 01-14-20, 11:41 AM

It could still be a movie and be in real-time like Redemption, which was awesome.
Old 01-14-20, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk God

I'm also good with them bringing in someone new like they said in the article as the producer of The Resident is taking a crack at it. The series definitely needs some fresh voices in the writers room.

Keep Coto and Katz off of this. They tried running 24 with Legacy and it was for all intents and purposes a failure. Good to see Howard Gordon say finally if they do it, it has to be done right.
Old 01-14-20, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,863 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I thought the 12 hour limited series format used for the last Keifer revival worked great. I think we all agree that 24 hour long episodes don't work anymore.

And I am so happy if this actually gets done -- Jack Bauer can't rot in a Russian (or was it Chinese?) prison forever.
Old 01-14-20, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 395 Likes on 286 Posts

I'm such a sucker for anything 24 so I'm in. I even enjoyed Legacy.
Old 01-14-20, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I thought the 12 hour limited series format used for the last Keifer revival worked great. I think we all agree that 24 hour long episodes don't work anymore.

And I am so happy if this actually gets done -- Jack Bauer can't rot in a Russian (or was it Chinese?) prison forever.
Agreed, and they did a time jump so it still was "24 hours". It was fine, no need to constrain themselves.
Old 01-14-20, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 134 Posts

I think FOX got the message that fans want Kiefer or they're not going to tune in. Sutherland's been off doing The Fugitive reboot for Quibi, but those are just 10-minute episodes, so it's a small commitment, even if it gets renewed.
Old 01-14-20, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah The Fugitive reboot is basically him making a 2 hour movie. Very short time commitment. He should be available later this year if they manage to come up with something.

Old 01-14-20, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll always be in for more 24 as long as Kiefer is involved. If not, it's a pass.
Old 01-14-20, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
Wait!!! There's a mountain lion?!?

Sold!
Damn - you beat me to it!

Seems easy enough to tie in the current political environment. Didnít Jack end up with the Russians anyway?
Old 01-14-20, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I would have been ok with Kate Morgan (Yvonne Strahovski) as the lead. I recall there being significant fan interest but they went with Legacy instead. I wish I knew why.
Old 01-14-20, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

will behrooz still be on the loose though?

Old 01-15-20, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by phantom_azazel View Post
will behrooz still be on the loose though?

You sir, went old school. Well played.

Who was the online writer that blogged every episode with his crazy reactions to scenes? Was that Dave Barry or someone else? Those pieces were hilarious to read.
Old 01-15-20, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd be up for more 24, with or without Kiefer, but preferably with.
Old 01-15-20, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 604 Likes on 425 Posts

Damn son. We're all thinking cougars (the easy go-to) and phantom_azazel pulls out a deep cut.
Old 01-15-20, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Ughh, I know Behrooz is like some lame running joke, but that was fucking 16 years ago for crying out loud for a insignificant character.
Old 01-16-20, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Ughh, I know Behrooz is like some lame running joke, but that was fucking 16 years ago for crying out loud for a insignificant character.
Because he disappeared and was never heard from again. Hell, he could be the LEAD in the new series.
Old 01-17-20, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

With a maddening amount of content competing for my limited free time, Jack Bauer is the only sure fire way for me to commit to watching this, Heck, I never even finished Legacy.

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Who was the online writer that blogged every episode with his crazy reactions to scenes? Was that Dave Barry or someone else? Those pieces were hilarious to read.
That was indeed Dave Barry and his 24 blog was great. I loved how you'd see a name was hyperlinked, click it, and it's some funny picture,

Edgar is still dead.
Old 01-19-20, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

After watching 1917 I'd like to see them film it like that. I know that will be next to impossible but that would make me watch it.
Old 01-21-20, 06:41 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

As long as Kiefer returns, he doesn't need to be the main character screentime wise

As well as other originals, bring back Yvonne as Kate and introduce a couple new younger characters

Id be happy Jack Bauer going out in a blaze of glory, but not rotting in a cell somewhere

Old 09-08-21, 04:10 PM

Jack Bauer could well return to Fox.

There are currently “active creative discussions” about bringing back classic Kiefer Sutherland-fronted terrorism drama series 24 with a new take.

Fox Entertainment President Michael Thorn told Deadline that there is “potential” that the show will return in some form.

“There’s still a possibility, there’s still some discussions with the producers on a take that we have yet to hear,” he said. “There [are] some active creative discussions that are happening.”

Thorn’s comments echo recent words from 24 executive producer Howard Gordon, who told Deadline in a recent interview that a new take on the series is “always percolating”. Gordon said that he loves the character but cautioned “it’s not official, sort of, until I think all the pieces come together.”

24, which was created by Joel Surnow and Robert Cochran, launched on November 6, 2001. Starring Sutherland as counter-terrorist agent Jack Bauer, the series ran for eight seasons — and spawned a two-hour movie — until 2010. A 12-episode limited series aired in 2014 and was followed in 2017 by a Corey Hawkins-fronted spin-off, 24: Legacy. That ran for one season.

The show is produced by 20th Television and Imagine Television.

Last year, Thorn hinted that a new incarnation was in the works with The Resident showrunner Todd Harthan, which itself followed a couple of 2019 takes including a real-time legal thriller written by Gordon and Jeremy Doner and a prequel that traces the origin story of CTU agent Jack Bauer, from Gordon and Surnow and Cochran. However, none of these projects are still in the mix.

Thorn added that the network is always interested in hearing new takes on its classic shows. He said that he’d “love to do more” Glee, particularly given its new series The Big Leap, shares a DNA with the musical drama, but that he hadn’t heard new pitches for that or another classic Fox show, Prison Break.

“We always welcome celebrating our iconic shows and revisiting those with surprising takes and new approaches so, especially in this crowded market, we’re always open to reinventing our best IP with some of our favorite partners,” he added.
https://deadline.com/2021/09/24-fox-...es-1234828398/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.