Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Actors/actresses who trashed their own TV shows

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-19, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Actors/actresses who trashed their own TV shows

Bonus for if they did it while the show aired.

One of the worst offenders has got to be Robert Beltran of Star Trek Voyager. He repeatedly trashed the show while it aired, so much so that Kate Mulgrew publicly told him to STFU. Combine that with Jeri Ryan being treated like shit (mostly by Mulgrew) and that must have been one happy set.

Another Trek veteran who ripped their show was Jolene Blalock of Enterprise. She blasted the ending (who didn't hate that ending?) but also ripped the producers for making T'Pol "weak" and a drug addict. then again she married well so she has no fucks to give.

Who else?
Old 12-28-19, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Re: Actors/actresses who trashed their own TV shows

Constance Wu posting on Twitter how upset she was that Fresh off the Boat got renewed is something she will never be able to live down.
Old 12-28-19, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Damon Wayans kind of trashed Lethal Weapon after the whole Clayne Crawford debacle. He dissed him and dissed the show on social media.

Warner Brothers had to beg him and make concessions for him just to do 2 extra episodes after he said on YouTube he was quitting the show.

Last edited by DJariya; 12-28-19 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-28-19, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

The first Aunt Viv from the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. To this day Janet Hubert trashes the show and Will Smith. The rest of the cast and crew were tight.
Old 12-28-19, 06:03 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Katherine Heigl announcing she had removed her name from the Emmy race one year because the writing for her Grey's Anatomy character wasn't worthy of award consideration.
Old 12-28-19, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

There's no shortage of America's Got Talent judges (Stern, Union) and hosts (Cannon) trashing that show.
Old 12-29-19, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Freddie Prinze Jr. trashing Kiefer Sutherland and his time on 24 Season 8.

2014 ABC News article
Old 12-29-19, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Paulie Perrette talked about what she felt was a toxic environment on "NCIS" but didn't spell everything out for a while. It turned out to be about Mark Harmon's dog biting a crew-member, though I'm sure there was more to it (to her, at least) under the surface.
Old 12-29-19, 03:08 PM

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Shannon Doherty and Charmed. She thought her performance was wasted on the tween target audience.
Old 12-29-19, 03:21 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think there is a big difference between someone trashing a show they were fired from versus someone trashing a show while they are currently in the show and it's airing and they are in good standing (other than the trashing) with the show/network
Old 12-29-19, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Robert Reed was very hard to work with on the Brady Bunch as he thought working on such a silly show was beneath him and often locked horns with producers and directors. He had gotten so bad, he refused to be in what would be the final episode of the show. He was going to be replaced had there been a sixth season, but ABC decided to cancel it altogether. None of this came out until years after the show was over, saying he only did the show for financial reasons.
Old 12-29-19, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Tina Louise was as bitter as it gets post-Gilligan's Island.
Old 12-29-19, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Robert Reed was very hard to work with on the Brady Bunch as he thought working on such a silly show was beneath him and often locked horns with producers and directors. He had gotten so bad, he refused to be in what would be the final episode of the show. He was going to be replaced had there been a sixth season, but ABC decided to cancel it altogether. None of this came out until years after the show was over, saying he only did the show for financial reasons.
If he hated working on that show so much, I don't get why he came back and did all the spin-offs, the variety show, the Christmas movie and the failed late 80's revival.
Old 12-29-19, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
If he hated working on that show so much, I don't get why he came back and did all the spin-offs, the variety show, the Christmas movie and the failed late 80's revival.
$$$
Old 12-29-19, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In the early 60's, Jackie Gleason hosted a quiz show called "You're In The Picture". Celebrity guests would stick their heads through holes in a picture tableau and try to guess what scene was being depicted. It only aired one episode, because it was truly terrible. Gleason came out the next week to a bare stage, smoking a cigarette and telling the audience, "We laid a bomb, last week", admitting how bad the show was, and joking about it. It ended it's brief run as a talk show hosted by Gleason.
Old 12-29-19, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
I think there is a big difference between someone trashing a show they were fired from versus someone trashing a show while they are currently in the show and it's airing and they are in good standing (other than the trashing) with the show/network
Sure but limiting it to people that trash their own show while they're on it, that would make for a very short thread.
Old 12-30-19, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

There's the whole Mandy Patinkin/Criminal Minds fiasco, although I'm not sure Mandy said anything while he was still on the series.
Old 12-30-19, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Ruth Wilson didn't exactly trash The Affair but left under weird circumstances that she couldn't talk about, then it leaked it was about a "hostile work environment" and being pressured to do nudity:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fe...issues-1263553

I don't think she publicly maligned 7th Heaven, but the rumor was that Jessica Biel did the infamous Gear magazine shoot to get fired from the show. I think she also cut her hair without telling them first.
Old 12-30-19, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
There's the whole Mandy Patinkin/Criminal Minds fiasco, although I'm not sure Mandy said anything while he was still on the series.
He didn’t trash the show at the time he quit. He left with the vague excuse of “creative differences”. But he later trashed the show in a NY Magazine interview.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadlin...ke-336097/amp/

Old 01-02-20, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
In his book Growing Up Brady, Barry Williams included letters Robert Reed had written to the showrunners. One I remember was where Reed listed the various forms of comedy (like "farce"), and how none of them fit The Brady Bunch. I mean, it's the friggin' Brady Bunch. Kids do something dumb, Mike and Carol offer parental advice, eventually the kids do the right thing. Credits. It in no way needed the analysis Reed was giving it.
Old 01-02-20, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
Bonus for if they did it while the show aired.

One of the worst offenders has got to be Robert Beltran of Star Trek Voyager. He repeatedly trashed the show while it aired, so much so that Kate Mulgrew publicly told him to STFU. Combine that with Jeri Ryan being treated like shit (mostly by Mulgrew) and that must have been one happy set.

Another Trek veteran who ripped their show was Jolene Blalock of Enterprise. She blasted the ending (who didn't hate that ending?) but also ripped the producers for making T'Pol "weak" and a drug addict. then again she married well so she has no fucks to give.

Who else?
Chakotay could have been a fascinating character, but unfortunately the show runners hired a fraud to advise them on Native American culture. It's why Chakotay's "tribe" and family info are such a mess in the show.

Originally Posted by Paff
In his book Growing Up Brady, Barry Williams included letters Robert Reed had written to the showrunners. One I remember was where Reed listed the various forms of comedy (like "farce"), and how none of them fit The Brady Bunch. I mean, it's the friggin' Brady Bunch. Kids do something dumb, Mike and Carol offer parental advice, eventually the kids do the right thing. Credits. It in no way needed the analysis Reed was giving it.
I was never big into Brady Bunch, but that does seem odd. Some TV is meant to be silly fun, and others are more serious.
Old 01-02-20, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eliza Dushku trashed Bull in testimony and then every media outlet who asked about the case and I know nothing about the show other than what I was told she alleged and received a $9.5M settlement for
Old 01-02-20, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by cleaver
Eliza Dushku trashed Bull in testimony and then every media outlet who asked about the case and I know nothing about the show other than what I was told she alleged and received a $9.5M settlement for
I mean, sexual harassment tends to make people bash the environment. lol Bit different than just trashing on the show itself.
Old 01-02-20, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
He loved the kids and every chance he had to help with new projects for them, he joined in (despite how he felt about the creators). Rumor has it, he actually loved working on the Variety Show in the 70s.
Old 01-02-20, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
He loved the kids and every chance he had to help with new projects for them, he joined in (despite how he felt about the creators). Rumor has it, he actually loved working on the Variety Show in the 70s.
He did save their lives, after all. (Also from Growing Up Brady), in the late episode at the amusement park, the crew mounted a camera to the front of the roller coaster. The kids all got on, but Reed made the crew do a test run with no one aboard, and when the coaster came back the camera mount had crashed into where they all would have been sitting.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.