DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Doctor Who (BBC America) -- Series 12 Discussion Thread -- Premieres 1/1/20 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/649238-doctor-who-bbc-america-series-12-discussion-thread-premieres-1-1-20-a.html)

dex14 12-02-19 09:18 AM

Doctor Who (BBC America) -- Series 12 Discussion Thread -- Premieres 1/1/20

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...5e7ee1fa32.jpg

<iframe width="679" height="382" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vkEB0ysv7sM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="679" height="382" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3aPfN_0WvK4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Doctor Who returns on New Year’s Day in the start of a thrilling 10-part series, with subsequent episodes airing on Sundays.

The Thirteenth Doctor is in her TARDIS on her way back to our screens! A thrilling 10-part series will land on New Year’s Day 2020, with subsequent episodes airing on Sundays.

Starting with a blockbuster action packed two-part episode entitled Spyfall, written by Chris Chibnall, the Thirteenth Doctor is well and truly back with a bang.

As Jodie Whittaker takes charge of the TARDIS once again, the Doctor will be joined by her friends Ryan (Tosin Cole), Yaz (Mandip Gill) and Graham (Bradley Walsh). Series Twelve will also welcome a host of famous faces including Stephen Fry, Sir Lenny Henry CBE, Robert Glenister and Goran Višnjić to name just a few.

Add to that some familiar faces including the Judoon and the Cybermen, Series Twelve is set to be an epic action-packed rollercoaster for everyone, just don’t stray too far from behind the sofa…

**Doctor Who will be airing on BBC One and BBC America from New Year’s Day, starring Jodie Whittaker, Tosin Cole, Mandip Gill and Bradley Walsh. Stay tuned for further details! **

DWilson 12-02-19 10:07 AM

Re: Doctor Who (BBC America) -- Series 12 Discussion Thread -- Premieres 1/1/20

If I understand correctly Chibnall and Whittaker are out after this season. For me, this feels like a non-starter and I'd rather see what's next down the road (hopefully something better).

dex14 12-02-19 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by DWilson (Post 13648833)
If I understand correctly Chibnall and Whittaker are out after this season. For me, this feels like a non-starter and I'd rather see what's next down the road (hopefully something better).

I remember there were some articles about this and they also said there would only be 6 episodes, which isn't true. So...

The Valeyard 12-02-19 11:19 AM

Unless the show takes a massive swerve this season, Chibnall and Whittaker are sticking around for at least another year.

dgmayor 12-02-19 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by DWilson (Post 13648833)

Last I heard that was all just BS being spread by the "fans" that don't like having a female doctor..

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2...e-by-insiders/

milo bloom 12-02-19 03:57 PM

If they take what worked in It Takes You Away and Resolution, and crank it up, then this could be a great season. Jodie is a great Doctor but needs better scripts.

Josh-da-man 12-02-19 04:40 PM

"Space for All"

*cringe*

They're laying it on a bit thick, aren't they?

For the love of god, just tell good stories first, and worry about pushing an agenda second. Don't troll the trolls. Make The Doctor righteous and kind, but still sort of scary again. The TARDIS is too crowded. The companions are boring; they need a little more edge to them. Yaz might as well be a coat rack.

Superman07 12-02-19 06:23 PM

I’ll watch, but I’m not even remotely excited. Maybe I’ll be more excited once episodes start airing.

I don’t think the long wait helps here either, especially after an underwhelming Series 11.

Is it really that big of a challenge to have a Christmas episode? Just come up with a good episode and have it take place during Christmas ala Die Hard. Now the show has essentially been out of the public consciousness for 2019.

Josh-da-man 12-02-19 06:41 PM

I'm tired of Christmas Specials.

They need to start doing Halloween Specials.

randian 12-02-19 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by dgmayor (Post 13648936)
Last I heard that was all just BS being spread by the "fans" that don't like having a female doctor.

That's what Chibnall and Whitaker are saying, but that's a standard propaganda technique: accuse your detractors of being bad people so you can dispose of their objections without needing to answer them. My objection to this doctor and her series thus far has nothing to do with Jodi Whitaker's sex.

The Valeyard 12-06-19 06:26 PM

Clip from "Spyfall."

jpcamb 12-07-19 02:58 AM

I adore Whiticare, she is so sweet and cute and strikes me as kind to the core. I love Dr Who as a fandom but for some reason my kids and I never finished this season. I liked the episodes I saw, but had no compunction to keep watching it.. I deleted the season having watched maybe 4-5 of the episodes.

God, I read articles with baited breath and simply lost interest in the season and had no idea the next season was even ordered let alone almost here... something seems to be missing last season... :sad:

Josh-da-man 12-07-19 05:39 PM

Series 11 was, as a whole, really bland and generic. It's like the Star Trek Voyager of the current era of Doctor Who.

Whittaker just doesn't have any gravity in the role. She comes off like a mousy kindergarten teacher and just sort of blends in with her three dull companions. The "big bad" alien that was covered with teeth felt like a rejected Davies-era monster.

The latter half of the season was a bit better than the first half, though. "Demons of the Punjab," "Kerblam!," "Witchfinder," and "It Takes You Away," is a decent enough run of episodes.

Superman07 12-08-19 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13651642)
Series 11 was, as a whole, really bland and generic. It's like the Star Trek Voyager of the current era of Doctor Who.

Whittaker just doesn't have any gravity in the role. She comes off like a mousy kindergarten teacher and just sort of blends in with her three dull companions. The "big bad" alien that was covered with teeth felt like a rejected Davies-era monster.

The latter half of the season was a bit better than the first half, though. "Demons of the Punjab," "Kerblam!," "Witchfinder," and "It Takes You Away," is a decent enough run of episodes.

Agree with your sentiments. However, I have to remind myself I wasn’t sold on Capaldi, for different reasons, until he had his breakout “War Speech” in that two parter episode. I feel like the writers need to find Jodie’s big moment, and in the first half of the series.

Ayre 12-08-19 02:46 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...71ff9c17cc.jpg

Kdogg 12-08-19 03:38 PM

My main problem with the last season was the writer made it seem that the Doctor and the companions were equals. They are not. She is a force of nature. That’s why the Doctor has always had a sense of arrogance about them. Toward the end they seemed to be finally acknowledging that.

The Infidel 12-08-19 08:03 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with her second season, and I'm not paying much attention to rumors. I thought she did just fine last season. The episodes may not have been stellar and up to par of previous Doctors' adventures, but I don't recall any new Doctor exactly hitting the ground running.

milo bloom 12-08-19 09:31 PM

If you didn't watch all of her first season, I really recommend at least It Takes You Away and Resolution. They really give Jodie a chance to push her Doctor back up to the level we've come to expect from the reboot. If they learned their lesson from those two, this season should be a winner.

The Valeyard 12-10-19 03:21 PM

Another clip from "Spyfall."

The Valeyard 01-01-20 01:20 PM

Reminder - Spyfall Episode 1 premieres in the States tonight on BBC America.

Josh-da-man 01-01-20 03:23 PM

I hope this season is better than the last one, but I don't have much faith in Chibnall.

I think the problem with Doctor Who is that the BBC just passes it off to whichever showrunner is next in line, whether or not they're up for the job.

I wonder if it would be possible to pull in some American talent. I'd love to see what someone like Damon Lindelof (yeah, I remember Lost, but Watchmen was awesome) or Noah Hawley would do with it if they were given the showrunner position.

The Valeyard 01-01-20 05:13 PM

Woo. Did not see that coming!

Josh-da-man 01-01-20 06:00 PM

Spoiler:
The Master?

I wonder if that will stick, or if it's a fakeout/hoax...

The Valeyard 01-01-20 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13663955)
Spoiler:
The Master?

I wonder if that will stick, or if it's a fakeout/hoax...

Hoping it sticks. Also, interesting that

Spoiler:
the teaser for next week uses the sound of drums beat (in morse code).

dex14 01-01-20 09:15 PM

Glad we only need to wait until Sunday for Part 2.