Arrow (CW) -- The 8th and Final Season -- Premieres 10/15/19

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-20, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts
Re: Arrow (CW) -- The 8th and Final Season -- Premieres 10/15/19

Originally Posted by DJariya
Nice little tease at the end with John Diggle aka "The Green Lantern"

That was total fan service there, but it was still a nice little wink moment.

The 1 hour tribute special before the finale was a nice little touch as well. Was surprised that Emily Bett Rickards didn't participate.
The producer and the actor suggest that there's more to the GL tease down the road, but they can't say more than that. I don't know what she's doing, but they were only able to get Emily for two days, -they had wanted to include her in the "John Byrne" flashback story.
I was a little annoyed that it turns out that the situation with the characters in the "pilot" last week wasn't set up in this episode, which leaves no explanation for what was going on.
Old 01-29-20, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Is the finale the first time Oliver is explicitly called “Green Arrow”?

That box should have been too hot for Diggle to pick up.

Lol at Mia swinging onto a rooftop suspended from empty space.
Old 01-29-20, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
The producer and the actor suggest that there's more to the GL tease down the road, but they can't say more than that. I don't know what she's doing, but they were only able to get Emily for two days, -they had wanted to include her in the "John Byrne" flashback story.
I was a little annoyed that it turns out that the situation with the characters in the "pilot" last week wasn't set up in this episode, which leaves no explanation for what was going on.
Theories are is going to be in the new HBO Max GL show (unlikely), he will somehow end up on Legends (more likely) or on the Superman & Lois show (most likely).

Last edited by Deftones; 01-29-20 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-29-20, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I was rather happy with the finale. It looks like they tried their very best in getting every significant recurring actor from Arrow to make an appearance. Big absences include Manu and Barrowman, but maybe they didn't want any villains showing up.

Surprised no one is discussing the reset of certain characters. Captain Lance, Tommy and others are back from the dead, enabling them to appear in future CW crossovers if need be. It's an open secret that Amell is willing to appear again for select episodes, if his schedule is open.

So Diggle is relocating to Metropolis. I did find it funny how Star City is now magically free of all crime.
Old 01-29-20, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I wonder if Oliver made his father Thea’s biological father instead of Malcolm, or if he just erased everyone’s knowledge of who her real father was. Because her and Emiko sure seemed to think they were really sisters, when they never actually shared a parent genetically.
Old 01-29-20, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I kind of wish they had retconned Emiko's entire existence as Oliver's sister. That was also the most random marriage proposal by Roy - even both of the actors looked like they did not want that scene.
Old 01-29-20, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by randian
Is the finale the first time Oliver is explicitly called “Green Arrow”?
Nope, he began publicly calling himself Green Arrow in the Season 4 premiere. Before that he was “The Hood” and then the Arrow. They got there eventually.
Old 01-29-20, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

That was a weird and fairly weak finale. Maybe if I’d watched seasons 4-7 it would have meant more, but I didn’t know half of the people they devoted time towards.

Plus, there was an interview with the show runner saying they’d figured out a new perfect end that was hard to pull off. I was expecting something epic, but all I suppose he was referring to was getting EMR’s schedule to work out (?).

I really enjoyed seasons 1-3, but this episode encapsulated how things went down hill. Originally things were ver ground and felt real. But taking a scene like the bunker shows how everything became about convenience to support plot. “Oh look, you all just popped up in the span of 1 hours show time. So glad you could all make it.” It all just falls flat and fake, much like many of the interactions between characters. I was even thinking earlier today many of the recurring character arguments reminded me, in their own way, of Clark continually barging into Lex’s an accusing him of something.

Heck, I was expecting an appearance by the Specter in some capacity, even if it was looking in the background during the final shot to shoe Oliver would be around in some form still helping them.
Old 01-29-20, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

I was impressed they got as many to come back as they did.
Old 01-30-20, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Good send off, exactly the way I wanted it to happen.
Too bad Tatsu and Ray Palmer were missing from the funeral.
Diggle in a couple of weeks will guest appear on FLASH, I wonder if he mention to Barry the Ring he found.
Old 01-30-20, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Overall they did a good job considering Amell’s appearances were mostly flashbacks and he had only one new scene which was the end. They gave it the best ending possible with Oliver and Felicity spending eternity together tying up that loose end from season 7.

And yeah I was impressed with all the uncredited cameos they got including Katrina Law, Lexa Doig, Melissa Benoist, Gustan and even Colin Donnell. They pretty much got everyone who had a personal relationship with Oliver.

Mia loosely mentioned future William’s kidnapping in 2040. So I guess that plot would only get resolved if her show gets picked up.

Old 01-30-20, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Surprised no one is discussing the reset of certain characters. Captain Lance, Tommy and others are back from the dead, enabling them to appear in future CW crossovers if need be. It's an open secret that Amell is willing to appear again for select episodes, if his schedule is open.
That really is the apex of bad writing but the Arrow writers room. Way to negate all the triumphs and sacrifices of earlier seasons. It's the type of silly narrative mechanic that plagues the comic book industry. So maybe it's fitting.

Old 01-30-20, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
That really is the apex of bad writing but the Arrow writers room. Way to negate all the triumphs and sacrifices of earlier seasons. It's the type of silly narrative mechanic that plagues the comic book industry. So maybe it's fitting.
It doesn't negate anything.

And I liked it specifically because it's the kind of thing you only see in comic books.
Old 01-30-20, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Michael Rosenbaum had Stephen Amell on his podcast. It sounds like it was pretty interesting. He said that he only did season 8 of Arrow because they offered him so much money that he couldn't say no. He also had a panic attack during the show and had to finish the interview weeks later.

https://tvline.com/2020/01/22/stephe...-panic-attack/
thanks for that. I didn’t realize Rosenbaum had a podcast now. Good listen!
Old 01-30-20, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I thought their explanation was pretty good. Only the deaths that had a meaningful impact remained: his father, Shado, Laurel, probably William’s mom.
Old 01-30-20, 10:06 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Wait. Wasn’t everyone just telling me the multiverse still exists (except for CW shows) and OA was in a different universe?

Stop confusing me goddamit!!!

Nice finale, The show is truly over for me.

If you want to see Barrowman watch this week’s Doctor Who.
Old 01-31-20, 06:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I don't have much interest in the spin-off show with Mia. I'm leaning toward dropping Flash and Supergirl after this season. May keep watching Legends and I'll at least check out the Superman series when it comes out.

dropped batwoman,supergirl, black lightening,
Flash,Legends, ill watch also till end of year and they might be gone too I’m tired of the arrowverse
Old 01-31-20, 06:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Ok finale but they replied too much on the flashbacks. I guess they had to in order to keep Oliver in the show.

I liked the ending for Diggle. Glad we got a tease of that, even if it goes nowhere.

So did monitor take Felicity to some sort of afterlife? Seemed that way.
i take it the Green Lantern show being planned on HBO won’t figure Diggle
Old 03-14-20, 02:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good finale!

really surprised no one talked about that flashback action sequence! i think that was one of the best choreographed action scene they've done on the show. and i believe it was mostly one take?

stunning stuff

Old 03-19-20, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Emily is now a redhead.