Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dave Chappelle Netflix Special - Sticks & Stones -- premieres 8/26/19

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-19, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts
Re: Dave Chappelle Netflix Special - Sticks & Stones -- premieres 8/26/19

No one is calling for Robert Downey Jr to be cancelled because he wore blackface in a movie. You know why? Because he's not an outspoken liberal that the right is trying to destroy.
Old 09-01-19, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Did Downey do blackface? I was under the impression blackface is an exaggerated caricature (burnt cork or shoe polish, exaggerated lips) intended to demean and dehumanize. Isn't that a far different thing than an actor using makeup to make themselves resemble a character of a different skin colour, especially when this change of skin colour is irrelevant to the joke (like Jimmy Kimmel imitating Karl Malone, or Rob Lowe imitating Arsenio Hall, or Zoe Saldana playing Nina Simone...)?
Old 09-01-19, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
No one is calling for Robert Downey Jr to be cancelled because he wore blackface in a movie. You know why? Because he's not an outspoken liberal that the right is trying to destroy.
Buzzfeed, Medium.com and TheMarySue are part of the right?
Pointing to Robert Downey Jr’s role in Tropic Thunder doesn’t address Silverman’s history of using racist language and imagery for laughs.
Old 09-01-19, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie

Buzzfeed, Medium.com and TheMarySue are part of the right?
Pointing to Robert Downey Jr’s role in Tropic Thunder doesn’t address Silverman’s history of using racist language and imagery for laughs.
I don't need to address people's comedy from 15-20 years ago that's not what the discussion was about. The original discussion was what Chappelle and other older comics are saying right now.
Old 09-01-19, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Did Downey do blackface? I was under the impression blackface is an exaggerated caricature (burnt cork or shoe polish, exaggerated lips) intended to demean and dehumanize. Isn't that a far different thing than an actor using makeup to make themselves resemble a character of a different skin colour, especially when this change of skin colour is irrelevant to the joke (like Jimmy Kimmel imitating Karl Malone, or Rob Lowe imitating Arsenio Hall, or Zoe Saldana playing Nina Simone...)?
I thought that too but now altering your complexion for a role and/or wearing prosthetics to play someone who is black is considered by some to be blackface. And now other groups have appropriated the term “blackface.” So the white actor playing an Indian scientist in Short Circuit is now accused of doing “brown face.” Women or men who play transgender characters are criticized for doing “transface.”

I don’t think Tropic Thunder excuses Silverman’s past behavior but I do think it’s interesting that RDJ and that film as a whole has gotten a pass. To this day “Soul Man” is still heavily criticized but not “Tropic Thunder.” I guess because the latter stars Iron Man, was a hilarious film, and a big mainstream hit.

Back to Chappelle, I thought at first his jokes about the the LGBT community were outdated and made him seem old, but I think it’s just because they simply weren’t funny. I was watching Amy Schumer’s Leather Special and she has political opinions I agree with in her comedy special, but I also found the jokes to be unfunny and lame, in particular her gun control bit. But I didn’t once attribute it to her having the wrong politics or age being a factor.

Last edited by brayzie; 09-01-19 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-03-19, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Watched it over the weekend. I'd say there was a half hour of good/great material throughout the hour special.

The bit about identifying as Chinese was cringe-worthy.

The bit comparing white heroin addicts to black crack addicts of the 80's and defending his house with a shotgun was fucking hilarious.

He also made a very good point to the audience...want gun control to get fast-tracked? Have every black person in America buy one legally. Boom; instant gun control legislation.
Old 09-03-19, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

The bit comparing white heroin addicts to black crack addicts of the 80's and defending his house with a shotgun was fucking hilarious.

He also made a very good point to the audience...want gun control to get fast-tracked? Have every black person in America buy one legally. Boom; instant gun control legislation.
Agreed.
Old 09-03-19, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Birdshot, Buckshot, Birdshot.....buckshot, buckshot, buckshot!

lmao
Old 09-03-19, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

"He walked across my property and I just waved at him like a bitch."

Old 09-03-19, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Watched it over the weekend. I'd say there was a half hour of good/great material throughout the hour special.

I was afraid of that.
Chappelle's shows tend to hit me that way.
I have yet to see one that was funny all the way thru.
Old 09-03-19, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
By a literal definition, it was blackface, however it wasn't used in a way to demean people of color. It was used to highlight exactly how absurd blackface is to begin with and to mock the notion of method acting in such a way; his character is quite pitiful and sad throughout the movie as a whole due to his actions and intentionally so.
Old 09-04-19, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts

It's sad but i feel like many entertainers in the Black Community, the comedians in particular, want a "Cultural Pass" for being anti-LGBT.
Old 09-04-19, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
By a literal definition, it was blackface, however it wasn't used in a way to demean people of color. It was used to highlight exactly how absurd blackface is to begin with and to mock the notion of method acting in such a way; his character is quite pitiful and sad throughout the movie as a whole due to his actions and intentionally so.
I didn't see his character as pitiful or sad. As Lincoln Osiris he was the funniest character in the film. When he's shown to face who he really is, it still came across as funny.
Why did RDJ and the film get a pass, when Soul Man is criticized to this day? That film didn't have the main character playing a black caricature. He talked and acted his normal self even when he was pretending to be black. Billy Crystal got criticized for resurrecting his Sammy Davis Jr impersonation complete with make-up to darken his skin and wig, and from what I saw of it, it didn't seem to be intended to demean Davis's ethnicity.

If Tropic Thunder had Loqueesha-level production quality and star power it probably would have been labeled racist.
Old 09-05-19, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

I've started rewatching the Chappelle Show after seeing this thread.
Old 09-05-19, 09:48 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Chappellle nailed it out of the park with this one. I hate fucking politics because both sides, well, and the middle, don't even get started. Anyway, it's interesting to see his "base" slowly go "wtf is happening?" You could especially see it on the faces of the people in the audience as their heads slowly implode and then the outrage everywhere online too.

It's hysterical actually, totally next level. Once those who are offended the most can truly see the forest for the trees will they then see this for the genius that it is.
Old 09-06-19, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I've started rewatching the Chappelle Show after seeing this thread.
One of the reasons Chappelle quit the business back then was he was in Disney World with his kids. Some super fans would go up to him and his kids in line and say, "I'm Rick James, bitch!!!!!" That's how great the show was because that is one of the best skits of all-time, yet I totally see how he would get annoyed that grown men would repeat it in front of his kids without any clue that they are kids.
Old 09-06-19, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
I'm still waiting for that film where he plays a Mexican.
Old 09-06-19, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
One of the reasons Chappelle quit the business back then was he was in Disney World with his kids. Some super fans would go up to him and his kids in line and say, "I'm Rick James, bitch!!!!!" That's how great the show was because that is one of the best skits of all-time, yet I totally see how he would get annoyed that grown men would repeat it in front of his kids without any clue that they are kids.
After the first eight episodes of season one its still funny and much better than "woke" comedy that gets made today. Some things feel dated with references to certain musicians and other things culturally of what was going on at the time. I'd be annoyed if I were him too having fans do that type of thing when he was with his kids.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 09-07-19 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-06-19, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Somethings feel dated with references to certain musicians and other things culturally of what was going on at the time. I'd be annoyed if I were him too having fans do that type of thing when he was with his kids.
I think most sketch/variety shows come off as dated because most of the skits deal with current events at that time. What happens is the younger generations don't really get the context of that joke when they see something from 20 years ago. For example, when Chevy Chase used to trip all over the place like Gerald Ford, I'm sure that was hysterical in 1975. But if you watch it now, most people don't know why President Ford was portrayed that way, or would feel it is over the top. Now there are exceptions as the 'Rick James skit' will always be funny simply because it's so damn funny.
Old 09-07-19, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

His opioid and heroin comparison to crack was great. “Just say no”. Haha.