Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

I Am Patrick Swayze (Paramount) -- Premieres 8/18/19

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-19, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
I Am Patrick Swayze (Paramount) -- Premieres 8/18/19

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dFb2PxB_MwM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I Am Patrick Swayze will World Premiere at the San Antonio Film Festival on August 2 and Debut August 18 on Paramount Network

I Am Patrick Swayze is a loving tribute to the prolific actor that showcases his life and career through untold stories, exclusive interviews, heartfelt home movies, and family photos featuring those who knew him best. The film explores his childhood in Texas and his enduring relationship with widow Lisa Niemi, whom he met as a teenager at his mother's dance studio. Known for undeniable star quality, the documentary is a window into an artist's life that delves into his remarkable film career working on huge blockbuster hits like Dirty Dancing, The Outsiders, and Ghost.

The film features interviews with Swayze's friends, family, and co-stars including his widow Lisa Niemi, brother Don Swayze, co-stars Sam Elliott, Jennifer Grey, C. Thomas Howell, Rob Lowe, Kelly Lynch, Demi Moore, Lori Petty, Marshall R. Teague, director Roland Joffe, agent Nicole David, manager Kate Edwards, personal assistant Rosemary Hygate, stuntman Cliff McLaughlin, and bodyguard Frank Whiteley.

Read more at Video: Paramount Network Releases "I Am Patrick Swayze" Official Trailer | TheFutonCritic.com
Old 08-02-19, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: I Am Patrick Swayze (Paramount) -- Premieres 8/18/19

Can't wait. I've always been a big Swayze fan and think he might be one of the most underrated movie stars of the last forty years. He had an attractiveness that made women want him, but a ruggedness that made men be ok with watching his movies.
Old 08-03-19, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

^Agreed. The guy was talented at anything and everything. One of my all-time favorite actors.
Old 09-02-19, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Just watched this tonight. This was a great documentary about Swayze’s life and career. Lots of good interviews with all his leading ladies. Rob Lowe and C. Thomas Howell were the only significant male colleagues they interviewed. But the focus of the interviews was Swayze’s widow. I didn’t know his nickname was “Buddy” which everyone he knew seemed to refer to him as.

If you still have it sitting on your DVR unwatched, it’s worth the time. Very well made.
Old 09-02-19, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Just watched this tonight. This was a great documentary about Swayze’s life and career. Lots of good interviews with all his leading ladies. Rob Lowe and C. Thomas Howell were the only significant male colleagues they interviewed. But the focus of the interviews was Swayze’s widow. I didn’t know his nickname was “Buddy” which everyone he knew seemed to refer to him as.

If you still have it sitting on your DVR unwatched, it’s worth the time. Very well made.
Agree. Watched it a week or so ago.
Old 09-03-19, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a big Swayze fan and thought it was amazing. I enjoyed hearing his costars talk about him, but what I enjoyed more was the stories that made him human. The parts that stuck out to me mainly were:

-The story about him and Marshall Teague beating the crap out of each other in Roadhouse and how Swayze got his respect after Teague just viewed him as a ballet dancer.
-Kelly Lynch talking about how anyone he met he could find a way in and make them fall in love with him.
-Demi Moore talking about how he had that rugged masculinity and yet a tenderness that made him stick out.
-Jennifer Gray's story about how he told her he would stand in front of a truck for her.
-Rob Lowe's story about how Tom Cruise probably got the idea for the HALO jump from Point Break since Swayze did the skydiving scenes in Point Break.
-The stories of how he struggled with Alcoholism, depression, and how he talked about his personal demons. I always enjoy this because it makes people in Hollywood feel human.
And when the end came and we found out he had cancer and died I fully confess I was I tears at the end. Incredibly sad but a great documentary.
Also little Easter egg. In Roadhouse, when Dalton first goes to the Double Deuce, to watch the other bouncers, he stands by a pillar in the corner. When you watch it in HD, you see that someone wrote on the pillar "Buddy's corner".
Old 09-04-19, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

It is a great documentary and was very thorough without sugar-coating anything. The wife has always been a big fan and she was definitely in tears at the end.
Old 09-05-19, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Also little Easter egg. In Roadhouse, when Dalton first goes to the Double Deuce, to watch the other bouncers, he stands by a pillar in the corner. When you watch it in HD, you see that someone wrote on the pillar "Buddy's corner".
What does HD have to do with anything? I noticed that on the pillar when it first came out on VHS. Can't miss it.