Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Is there one show that is credited as the first “binge” watching show?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Is there one show that is credited as the first “binge” watching show?
Yes (please specify...)
60.00%
No (term just came about)
40.00%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Is there one show that is credited as the first “binge” watching show?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-19, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts
Re: Is there one show that is credited as the first “binge” watching show?

I've gotta go with 24: Season One as well. I was living in Japan when it came out on DVD, and I'd completely missed all the hoopla about it in the States. I was in a local video store one night and saw this huge display with Kiefer's face all over it. My first thought was that it was a movie that they had 30-40 copies of, but then on closer inspection I saw that it was a TV series with four episodes per disc. I figured that if the store was willing to devote that many copies to an American TV show, I'd give it a shot. So I rented the first disc, and ended up plowing through the season, one or two rented discs at a time, in somewhere around three days.

Another show that I binged in Japan was ER. In Japan, they released the show in half-seasons. I found the first two half-seasons at a used media store and bought them, and, even though I'd seen all the episodes from the first several seasons as they aired, I couldn't stop myself from bingeing on them as well. After that, I bought the next six half-season sets and would watch one per weekend until I'd steamrolled through them all.

One more fairly early binge experience: The Amazing Race. For a while, there was a channel on cable/satellite called The Reality Channel, which showed non-stop reality programming. In amongst all of the "World's Tallest Roller Coasters III"-type shows, they'd run marathons of TAR. I had never seen the show, so I figured that I'd try one of the marathons (which were, thankfully, only 12 hours long). I ended up loving the show, so I caught as many of their marathons as I could. Remembering this makes me want to binge a season of TAR this weekend....
Old 06-22-19, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

I love how no one is answering the question and instead just telling the story of the first time they watched a couple episodes of television in a row.
Old 06-22-19, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Because there is no answer?

I'm sure plenty of us watched marathons of Cheers, X-files, Seinfeld (insert favorite show), etc. long before 24(as I'm sure many others did), but that was the show that I know the most people also burned through and looking through the thread, also the most common answer here. It's also the show that changed a lot of people's viewing habits as a lot of people bypassed tv and waited for the DVDs specifically to "marathon." It also was a current running show unlike syndicated marathons like my examples so everyone is marathoning the same show at the same time not years after the show had ended its run. It also may have been what led to Netflix dumping full seasons at once (pure speculation there though).

24 seems like the most logical answer to me unless you're looking for a specific Netflix show if you're simply wanting to tie in the word "binge" specifically. I don't recall the term "binge" prior to Netflix (as pointed about eariler in the thread). Everything was just "marathoned" to the best of my recollection.

Originally Posted by OldBoy
So, is there a show that became first “binge” watching tv? It has to be a steaming series that drops all episodes at once. That’s binge watching to my understanding on Netflix, but I dunno what would be deemed first. Orange is New Black, House of Cards? Probably something earlier than that...
What does the medium have to do with it? TV, DVD, streaming? Doesn't matter. You're simply watching a bunch of episodes in quick succession.
Old 06-24-19, 10:03 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

Well, I found the answer. Knight Rider. According to Adam F. Goldberg and his VHS collection of taped Knight Rider eps and his dad and Pops watching it all. In an episode called Kitt or something episode in S4. He deemed it first binge watching experience. So there you go...
Old 06-24-19, 10:40 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

No...
Old 06-25-19, 06:12 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I would say the first show we ever binge-watched was either Babylon 5 or Stargate SG-1 (where we devoted entire evenings in succession to watching episodes), can't remember which was first though.
Old 06-26-19, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Pre-Netflix you could even “binge” watch a huge chunk of a movie series using nothing but a good old fashioned tv (no streaming service or TiVo needed). I remember the James Bond marathons I used to watch with my family back in the day, fun memories.

I also binge watched the heck out of series like The Wire and Deadwood via Netflix rentals or buying the box sets before I was able to subscribe to cable.

I remember the weekends when I would watch a season or two of Married With Children from the complete series dvd set in my quest to watch all 200+ episodes, one of the few times I tried something like that and pulled it off.

Netflix may have popularized the term but folks have been binging media content for 50+ years. Tell a youngster that when you were a kid you could binge watch with just a tv...and one without a remote control at that and they will be all, c’mon dude quit funning me, the next thing you will tell me is you used to walk 5 miles every day in the snow to get to school, the post office, etc..
Old 07-01-19, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I think the idea of binge-watching goes back to the early days of TV on DVD, when people could easily watch episodes of shows they missed the first time around back-to-back.

Things like Buffy, Angel, and Babylon 5 would be good examples of this. They were originally broadcast either on networks few people watched (WB, UPN) or were in syndication (Babylon 5) and thus got odd local hours. When they came out on DVD, people now had access to them and were able to either buy the DVDs or rent them from Netflix, and watch them on their own schedule.

I can sort of remember a few references to bingeing shows like Buffy and others back in the early 00s, but I don't think the term
caught on in the greater popular culture until streaming began.
Old 07-01-19, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

From Simpsons, 1996:

Old 07-02-19, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

There is no single answer as everyone has a different response. Although there were earlier marathons, when DVD box set of entire seasons is when I think binge watching got going in earnest.

For me, it was buying The X-Files: Season 1 DVD box set in November 2000. It cost something like $90 (a ridiculous price now but it seemed fine then) and I watched all 24 episodes of that season in a little over a week.
Old 07-02-19, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
For me, it was buying The X-Files: Season 1 DVD box set in November 2000. It cost something like $90 (a ridiculous price now but it seemed fine then)
Hell, compared to the $20 per 2 episode VHS tape, meaning you'd spend $240 a season, $90 was a bargain.
Old 07-02-19, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
There is no single answer as everyone has a different response. Although there were earlier marathons, when DVD box set of entire seasons is when I think binge watching got going in earnest.

For me, it was buying The X-Files: Season 1 DVD box set in November 2000. It cost something like $90 (a ridiculous price now but it seemed fine then) and I watched all 24 episodes of that season in a little over a week.
Those are the first sets I binged as well.

Old 07-04-19, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Well, I found the answer. Knight Rider. According to Adam F. Goldberg and his VHS collection of taped Knight Rider eps and his dad and Pops watching it all. In an episode called Kitt or something episode in S4. He deemed it first binge watching experience. So there you go...
Old 07-07-19, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Hell, compared to the $20 per 2 episode VHS tape, meaning you'd spend $240 a season, $90 was a bargain.
I remember I bought the first few seasons of The X-Files as they were released starting at about $90 each and getting some for about $75 as time went on. After having the best seasons, I stopped buying them and only added seasons when the price dropped a lot more (I only bought Season 9 when its slender box set was just around $10).

And years later, I re-bought the whole damned thing again as a giant blu-ray box set... and then they went off and made 2 more seasons of the show.