Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol (Peacock)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-19, 05:38 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol (Peacock)

EXCLUSIVE: We have the first big sale for the 2019-2020 broadcast development season. NBC has given a production commitment to Langdon, a drama based on Dan Brown’s thriller novel The Lost Symbol, from Daniel Cerone (Motive, Constantine), Imagine Television Studios, the TV arm of Ron Howard and Brian Grazer’s Imagine Entertainment, CBS TV Studios and Universal Television.

Written and executive produced by Cerone, Langdon follows the early adventures of famed Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon, who finds himself pulled into a series of deadly puzzles when his mentor is kidnapped. The CIA forces him onto a task force where he uncovers a chilling conspiracy.

Brown executive produces with Imagine TV Studios’ Grazer, Howard, Francie Calfo, Samie Falvey and Anna Culp. Imagine TV Studios, CBS TV Studios and Universal TV co-produce.

The Last Symbol is the third Brown novel featuring the character of Langdon, following Angels & Demons and The Da Vinci Code, and is set after the events of The Da Vinci Code.

The Langdon TV series is a natural extension to the Robert Langdon universe Imagine Entertainment had built on the feature side at Columbia Pictures with three movies produced by the company and directed by principal Ron Howard: The Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons and Inferno, based on the fourth book in the series. The company also had developed a movie adaptation of The Lost Symbol at Sony as a follow-up to Angels & Demons before the studio went with Inferno instead.

Just like the Angels & Demons movie took place after the events in The Da Vinci Code, opposite to the chronological order in the books, Langdon has been conceived as a prequel, focusing on a younger Robert Langdon to change the timeline in the novels. Imagine TV set the project at CBS TV Studios through the companies’ first-look deal. The series had been in development at the studio at least since last September.

Imagine TV’s series portfolio includes Fox’s Empire, Nat Geo’s Genius and the upcoming Why Women Kill on CBS All Access, Swagger on Apple, Wu-Tang: An American Saga on Hulu and 68 Whiskey on Paramount Network.

Cerone created drama series Motive, which aired for three seasons, its first two on ABC and the third on USA Network. He also co-created drama series Constantine, which aired for one season on NBC. Cerone worked on the first three seasons of Showtime’s Dexter, beginning as a co-executive producer and rising to executive producer in Season 2. His other writing-producing credits include Nightflyers, The Blacklist and The Mentalist.

Brown’s full Robert Langdon thriller novel series includes Angels & Demons (2000), The Da Vinci Code (2003), The Lost Symbol (2009), Inferno (2013) and Origin (2017).
https://deadline.com/2019/06/robert-...os-1202627753/
Old 06-06-19, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
re: Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol (Peacock)

I'd like to get excited about this...but when I see network TV, I know it's going to be watered-down and in risk of cancellation.

I think it could work though...the Jack Ryan series did. Of course, casting plays a huge part.
Old 06-06-19, 09:33 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I wish they would have gone with the campier version of this and done a National Treasure series instead.
Old 06-06-19, 04:07 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

I really liked The Last Symbol, and it would make a better mini-series than movie.

Watered down is right. How are they going to correctly portray the antagonist of that book without triggering the network censors?

Old 06-07-19, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I really liked The Last Symbol, and it would make a better mini-series than movie.

Watered down is right. How are they going to correctly portray the antagonist of that book without triggering the network censors?

The problem with The Last Symbol (and the reason Ron Howard/Tom Hanks skipped it and did Inferno instead) is that it's essentially the same plot as the National Treasure movies.
Old 01-29-20, 04:32 PM

Da Vinci Code Prequel Series Gets NBC Pilot Order
https://tvline.com/2020/01/29/da-vin...order-langdon/
Old 01-30-20, 10:49 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Da Vinci Code Prequel Series Gets NBC Pilot Order
https://tvline.com/2020/01/29/da-vin...order-langdon/
I love how the majority of the commenters think they should cast Colin Hanks as Robert Langdon.

He's a good enough actor to pull it off.
Old 01-30-20, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Even though Colin Hanks did network TV for the last 4 years at CBS, I don't think they would cast him as Langdon. That's just too on the nose. It would feel too much like nepotism. Someone would just assume that Tom put in a call and bam he got the job,
Old 01-30-20, 01:07 PM

It worked well when Ice Cube's kid played a younger version of him. Glenn Close's daughter played her younger version in The Wife and was great. Meryl Streep has done this too. Laurie Metcalf's daughter does it on Young Sheldon. Sometimes it just works. He's an established enough actor to where it would be fine.
Old 01-30-20, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

The Last Symbol was my least favorite of the Langdon books. But overall, I love the series and read each new one.

However, I was not a fan of the movies.

I wish Dan Brown would write a non-Langdon novel for his next book.

Old 01-30-20, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
It worked well when Ice Cube's kid played a younger version of him. Glenn Close's daughter played her younger version in The Wife and was great. Meryl Streep has done this too. Laurie Metcalf's daughter does it on Young Sheldon. Sometimes it just works. He's an established enough actor to where it would be fine.
Yeah, but can he grow his hair out in that goofy way too.
Old 03-02-20, 10:28 PM

Succession standout Ashley Zukerman has been tapped for the title role in Langdon,NBC’s drama pilot based on Dan Brown’s best-selling thriller novel The Lost Symbol. In the project, from Imagine Television, CBS TV Studios and Universal Television, he takes on the character played by Tom Hanks in the movie trilogy The Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons and Inferno.

Old 03-03-20, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That seems like a solid casting choice. Brown always said in his novels that Langdon looked like Harrison Ford, so while Zukerman doesn't, he's closer than Hanks is.

I never thought Hanks - as good an actor as he is - was right for Langdon.
Old 03-09-21, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Ordered to series, but it's moving to Peacock

Old 05-17-21, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk God

The 1st trailer is out:

It's now called Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol. It's now on Peacock and the date is TBA.
Old 05-17-21, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Interesting. Not sure how I feel about the lead. Portrayal seems laid back? Seems familiar but I can’t place him.
Old 05-17-21, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
Interesting. Not sure how I feel about the lead. Portrayal seems laid back? Seems familiar but I can’t place him.
He was in Designated Survivor; that's all I can think of.
Old 05-17-21, 01:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The 1st trailer is out:

https://youtu.be/wkDqc6mifJ4

It's now called Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol. It's now on Peacock and the date is TBA.
Huh, so they’re doing a series on the one novel they didn’t make into a film? So is this intended to be a limited series? I guess they can do Origin after if this is successful.

Last edited by E Unit; 05-17-21 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-17-21, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't imagine they'll end it the same way the book does though...
Old 05-17-21, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
He was a lead in the WGN America series Manhattan about the Manhattan project, and he has a recurring role on Succession. Those are his roles that I know best.
Old 05-17-21, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by E Unit
Huh, so they’re doing a series on the one novel they didn’t make into a film? So is this intended to be a limited series? I guess they can do Origin after if this is successful.
I think this was still developed as a prequel and this is a young Langdon even though it's part of that book series.
Old 09-10-21, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol (Peacock)

New trailer.

Premieres next Thursday

Old 09-16-21, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Premieres Thursday morning at 3am ET

1 episode per week. Again for those who have paid zero attention to this show, it's based on the same characters from the Tom Hanks movies.

Ron Howard and Brian Grazier are EPs

Old 09-16-21, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Yep, based on Dan Brown's 2009 novel, The Lost Symbol, which is the 3rd book in the series focused on the character Robert Langdon which was played by Tom Hanks in the two films. Was meant to be the 3rd film with Tom Hanks continuing the role but they decided to turn it into a series instead.
Old 09-16-21, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Do we know how many episodes this will be? Wondering if my "Notre Dame" promo months will last long enough to cover it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.