Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Black Mirror (Netflix) -- Season 5 Thread -- premieres 6/5/19

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-19, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Black Mirror (Netflix) -- Season 5 Thread -- premieres 6/5/19

Finished Striking Vipers, it was ok.. this show doesn't do it for me so much anymore... I didn't even finish the last season and couldn't get through Bandersnatch..

that being said, I'll sample the others....
Old 06-06-19, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Oof, I'm sure Striking Vipers struck a nerve with some of the gamers out there. I think this episode is going to turn into "some shit you just don't talk about." Good episode and the poster with Mackie is straight up forshadowing.

Starting on episode 2 now.
Old 06-06-19, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

New season was terrible - just drawn out episodes, they ran out of ideas.

Miley Cirus singing and ripping off Nine Inch Nails songs is unforgivable as well.
Old 06-06-19, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
Miley Cirus singing and ripping off Nine Inch Nails songs is unforgivable as well.
Nine Inch Nails front man ‘really happy’ over Miley Cyrus covers in Black Mirror

Charlie Brooker has revealed Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor was “really happy” for his song lyrics to be changed into pop ones to be performed by Miley Cyrus in the upcoming Black Mirror series.

Global pop star Cyrus stars in the third episode of the fifth instalment of the Netflix programme and plays a pop star whose real life and public life are vastly different in an episode called Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too.

Charlie Brooker has revealed Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor was “really happy” for his song lyrics to be changed into pop ones to be performed by Miley Cyrus in the upcoming Black Mirror series.

Global pop star Cyrus stars in the third episode of the fifth instalment of the Netflix programme and plays a pop star whose real life and public life are vastly different in an episode called Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too.

Brooker, creator and writer of the Netflix series, said: “Actually every song that she (Miley Cyrus) performs in this, they’re all Nine Inch Nails songs that we adapted into pop standards, that was actually one thing that was in the script early on that we had to get permission from Trent Reznor to do that, to re-write some of his tracks as upbeat pop songs.”

Talking at a Q&A held in London, Brooker said Reznor “got it straight away”.

He explained: “It was via email and he was really happy, like, pretty quickly. He wanted to see the script and I got to re-write his lyrics in a chirpy way.

“I’m not the best lyricist in the world, in the first thing she’s singing ‘I’m stoked on ambition and verve’, instead of ‘you’re gonna get what you deserve’.”

Co-producer Annabel Jones added: “He thought it was very funny, he found it all, the dark comedy, very entertaining. There are lots of dark concepts in the film and we just enjoyed a childish subversion of them.”
Old 06-06-19, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I watched it all today and it was fine. Nothing mindblowing, but I would rank them in order: 1, 3, 2. I think Smithereens was a shot at social media and Facebook, but it was just average. The Miley Cyrus one was cute.
Old 06-07-19, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Watched all 3. Liked the first alot, although I thought them having a couple of legit matches with some sexual tension leading into the sex would have been better than fight for a minute then make out. Just felt very sudden. Second episode I thought was the weakest of the series. Ultimately I don't get the point of it. He knew he was wrong for looking at the phone, everyone knows they are addictive and are made to be that way (even the creator acknowledges before it's brought up) so what was the goal? Also, what the hell was the tacked on mother plot. The last I enjoyed alot and thought it was entertaining, albeit a very different tone than any previous episode. I will def watch episode 1 and 3 again.
Old 06-07-19, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lol, I don't care if Trent Reznor is happy about it - I wasn't.
Old 06-07-19, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Well then, you can thank Trent for your own disappointment. He gave his okay in advance.
Old 06-08-19, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

I wonder what would happen if Danny choose another female character to fight Karl's Roxette.
Old 06-08-19, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I just finished watching all three episodes. They stories were all interesting in concept, but they all all the endings really just seemed to fall flat and not have much point to them. This is definetly not among their best seasons of the show.
Old 06-09-19, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Well then, you can thank Trent for your own disappointment. He gave his okay in advance.
Lol what? What does he have to do with me not liking it? So what, he was fine with it....not every decision an artist makes is going to cater to all fans. I'm sure a lot of NIN fans had no problem with it. I would never be pissed at a fav artist of mine because they did something I disagree with. Case in point, would you give me a hard time if I said NIN have a bunch of crappy songs but that it doesn't matter cause I'm still a huge fan anyway?
Old 06-11-19, 08:20 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

“Black Mirror” Season 5 finally arrived this week, contributing a trio of new installments to the tech-centric anthology series: Miley Cyrus’ “Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too,” the Andrew Scott-starring “Smithereens,” and the Anthony Mackie and Yahya Abdul-Mateen II-led “Striking Vipers.”

Yes, there are just three.

Now, to those of you complaining about that tiny episode count, series creator Charlie Brooker told TheWrap you people “have no sense of history,” seeing as the first two seasons of “Black Mirror” were also just three-episodes long, too. (Seasons 3 and 4 had six episodes each.)

OK, OK, he was joking, but there are a couple of real reasons behind their decision to shorten the fifth season.

“One was that, originally, ‘Bandersnatch’ was actually part of Season 5,” Brooker told TheWrap. “So we shot ‘Striking Vipers’ — our first episode of the season — that was actually shot before ‘Bandersnatch’ was even written. And then as ‘Bandersnatch’ expanded and became so big we realized a) well, this is like doing a season in its own right, and b) it made much more sense to do it as a standalone.”

You remember “Bandersnatch” — the interactive, “Choose Your Own Adventure”-style “Black Mirror” movie starring Fionn Whitehead and Will Poulter — was cryptically teased by Netflix for months and then suddenly dropped last December.

“And then we thought, ‘Well, we’ve got these other episodes as well, they feel like they complement each other,” Brooker said. “We could make people wait forever while we do some more, or we could release these fairly quickly after ‘Bandersnatch.'”

“So the people who are upset about it, I can understand if you’re expecting six and you get three. But, you just had ‘Bandersnatch,’ that was five and a half hours, so come on! Also, have you seen how much TV there is out there? You should be thanking us!” Brooker said, teasingly.

“Yeah, so I think we’ve over-delivered,” Brooker’s “Black Mirror” co-showrunner, Annabel Jones, added, jumping in on the joke. “Maybe we should have just released one.”

“Yes, that’s the attitude to have. Let’s say we over-delivered,” Brooker added.

“Well, I mean, ‘Bandersnatch’ is a beast. So three episodes? Yeah, we have,” Jones said.

When we asked Brooker and Jones about why Season 5 launched on a Wednesday instead of a Friday (which was the previous launch pattern, ever since the show moved to Netflix from the UK’s Channel 4 for Season 3) they weren’t entirely sure, but they did give us some insight.

“I think it’s partly an experiment, but I think it’s not unprecedented,” Brooker said. “Also, probably because it’s a slightly shorter season, you’ve got more of a chance of watching it and discussing it with your coworkers before the weekend, at which point they can catch up. Maybe that’s the reason.”

“Yeah, that’s probably the reason,” Jones added.
https://www.thewrap.com/why-black-mi...riking-vipers/
Old 06-11-19, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Thought it was an OK set of episodes. Nothing horrible, but nothing that I'll continue to think about like some past BM episodes
Old 06-11-19, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Yeah, I thought they were just okay. Not up to par from past seasons, though.
Old 06-12-19, 10:29 AM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Didn't like ep. 1 or 2 really, just kinda meh, but I gotta say I really liked ep. 3. I thought it was creative, clever, and very well acted.
Old 06-12-19, 01:56 PM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I chuckled at the
Spoiler:
"I fucked a polar bear!"
line in the Striking Vipers episode (which was pretty blah overall).
Old 06-13-19, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I really liked the Miley episode the best of the three. Good story and acting. Striking Vipers was enjoyable, but Smithereens, while still ok, seemed overly long.

The thing about there only being three episodes is a total non-issue.

Last edited by The Infidel; 06-13-19 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-13-19, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

this season was OK, finally watched the third ep last night but seemed to watch in a strange order as Netfix started with the Miley, went to vipers and then ended on Smithereens.

The Miley ep was decent and she did a good job but I wouldn't watch it again and wouldn't have watched if it wasn't black mirror. The story was not up to par compared to previous seasons imho. I cant say that I've seen the story before but it felt like a rehash of something I've already saw and lacked originality. C

Striking Vipers was sort of an interesting exploration of cheating and sexuality but it was close to a dud for me. I would give it a c-

I enjoyed Smithereens the most and enjoyed its harsh poke at social media. I didn't recognize Topher at first (haven't watched much w him in it) bit I really enjoyed Andrew Scott in that. I found his ending gesture surprisingly moving and this is the only one from the season I might re-watch down the road. B+

I did see Bandersnactch and watched it twice (of course I explored multiple endings each time) but I don't know that I would have watched a second time had I not been over a friends house at the time.... B
Old 06-14-19, 11:37 AM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Pretty weak "season." Netflix should have delayed it a few more months and added an episode or two.

Smithereens was by far the best episode. The other two were solid C quality, and didn't really have the Black Mirror vibe I was expecting.
Old 06-14-19, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Apparently it's difficult to sustain complete nihilism for a decade.
Old 06-14-19, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Apparently it's difficult to sustain complete nihilism for a decade.
Huh?
Old 06-15-19, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts

Miley's was the only one I thought was decent. It was the last of the 3 I watched.

I thought her version of NIN was pretty good.

Old 07-04-19, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
Huh?
While Season 5 definitely echoes the on-going themes regarding technology in the series, it strays away from the series darker (or darkest) plot lines.

This might be what RichC2 is commenting on.

Last edited by asianxcore; 07-04-19 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-10-19, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got started on S5 tonight.
Watched about 1/2 hour of Ep.1 and canned it.
Ridiculous political correct plot.
Ep.2 was excellent.
Old 08-10-19, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Finished up the season (3 episodes...REALLY?!? ) tonight.
The only good episode is the middle one.
The other 2 are awful IMO.
What a letdown for a great series...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.