Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Were you satisfied with the finale?
Yes
48.95%
No
37.06%
Not sure yet, need to sit on it.
12.59%
Other
1.40%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-19, 10:45 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

I don’t get the complaint about Dany being alone with Jon being unrealistic. They were frigging lovers. And she was queen, guards in or out at her command.
Old 05-20-19, 10:47 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

Originally Posted by Trevor
I don’t get the complaint about Dany being alone with Jon being unrealistic. They were frigging lovers. And she was queen, guards in or out at her command.
I thought it was a bit odd that she gave him a nasty look when he was walking up the stairs as she overlooked everyone, but then when he came into the thrown room she was kind of giddy.
Old 05-20-19, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Stuff like Jon killing Dany was predicted, hell it was the mostly likely outcome after last week.
I made a prediction a long time ago that the show would end with a new system of government, which is kind of what happened. Sure, we still have kings and queens, but now it’s voted on democratically rather than based on male heirs when possible. To be fair I can’t remember how long ago I said this or if it was even in a thread here.
I wasn't directing my comment at anyone in particular.
After Ep. 5, I noticed there was a lot of Monday Morning Quarterbacking around here.
I guess it's just the internet being the internet...

Originally Posted by coli
I liked the Series finale (didn't love it) but of course the internet will force everyone take the extreme side (loved it or hated it), as sometimes many fans like me fall in the middle. The multiple endings felt like Return of the King, as I sort of felt that gave it an anti-climatic feeling after the first 45 minutes (which were really good). My interpretation of the episode and series was 2 things:

1. The dragon obliterating the Iron Throne was symbolism that powers corrupts and almost everyone who went for that Throne eventually died because of that.

2. Bran becoming King (without the ability to have children) is a metaphor that they wanted that world to transition to democracy and less about lineage.

My best friend disagrees with my assessment as he hated the finale, and thinks they wimped out. But I don't get too caught up in all of the character arcs because there was no way they were going to please everyone. I thought the ending was about power, and the whole show was about these people who felt entitled to their power, and look what ended up happening? It's a reflection on our society (it is a reflection of us and what happens when we get power), and that is why I liked the finale. But if I went through each character and dissected their ending, than I probably would have been mad too, but I just didn't see the episode that way. I looked at the episode and the show from a purely macro point of view.
Completely agree...well stated, sir.

Originally Posted by rw2516
I also believe this is correct. The only way for "the game" to end was by switching from birthright to chosen. To do this all heirs had to be eliminated, and the chosen ruler unable to have children. Jon's exile was the compromise that achieved this. His going free or being killed would have continued the fighting and not ended the "game"
Dany had to do something bad enough to make Jon eliminate her from the game. Jon had to made prisoner in order to bring that council together to end the game. Had he been killed the council wouldn't have happened and the fighting would just continue.
And in the end, Jon Snow is still the hero. The true heir who sacrificed it all for everybody else and rides into the sunset.
Completely agree with this too.
Old 05-20-19, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I felt the ending was a little too "... happily ever after".
Originally Posted by Original Desmond
I'm disgusted at how bad an episode that was

That was a happily ever after ending, totally against what the show is about

It was like a daytime soap ending
How is the ending a surprise?
GRRM has always maintained that it would have a mostly "happy" ending, though bittersweet, not unlike LOTR.
And that's exactly what it was.
Y'all can't blame the show for your own skewed expectations.
Old 05-20-19, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by beavis69
Things I liked
Brienne and Jaime's ending - Many will hate the fact that a strong female characters spent her last moments onscreen writing good deeds for a guy who left her. However, Brienne got her final moment 3-4 episodes back with her getting knighted by Jaime. Jaime got his moment last night when he went from the Kingslayer to the Queen protector.
Unless I'm mistaken, Brienne is the new Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. I'd say that's a pretty good payoff for a strong female character. She would bring honor to that post.
Old 05-20-19, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Don't quite understand some saying this was a typical "happy ending" for these characters:

Daenerys: Showcases the worst of her father, lays waste to innocents, is Queen for moments before being murdered by the one she loved.

Jon: Despite all her knows, he does not get to claim the thrown and become King, He is exiled back to where his journey started. That and he had to watch one he trusted betray him and then he killed her.

Cersei: Hated in the eyes of her people. Defeated and literally crushed to death by everything she was trying to hold on to.

Jamie: Never gains redemption. Crushed to death holding his defeated love.

Tyrion: Watches as the one he trusted betrays him and kills innocents. Turned on an adviser resulting in his death when he should have listened. Finds his dead siblings. Settles into a job he does not want.

Bran: Made king though does not want it. Has to rebuild everything that has been destroyed and certainly a populace distrusting of the monarchy after all the shit they've gone through.

Brienne: Betrayed by somebody she admired.

Drogon: Carries his mother's dead body away.

Dothraki and Unsullied: Failed. Now have to return to the land they helped liberate without the Queen who moved them forward to do so having lost the seven kingdoms and tucked out there after her death.

Robin: No more milk.

You could make an argument that Arya and Sansa have happy endings of sorts but I do feel the "happy" / "sad" brush, much like a lot of things with this show, isn't so cut in dry with the ending.

Hell, the happiest thing in the finale was Ghost getting pet.

Last edited by ViewAskewbian; 05-20-19 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-20-19, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ctyankee
However ... the reason that they didn't show Jon being taken to jail is that it would have fully shown just how stupid that would have played out. Dany's forces would have pulled him apart limb-by-limb in their rage. The idea of 'let's put him in jail and consider our next step?' From the same crew that just murdered everyone in sight? Please.
Originally Posted by kefrank
I will continue to disagree. Point me to just one instance in the show where Greyworm or one of the Unsullied killed someone out of emotion rather than duty. They "murdered everyone in sight" in the The Bells because they were fulfilling their duty to follow Dany's lead, not because they were enraged. If it was rage driving them, they would have immediately killed Cersei's soldiers as soon as they threw down their swords and they wouldn't have waited for Dany to start killing surrendered soldiers and civilians before doing the same.

But let's just go with the idea that Greyworm would have murdered Jon immediately as soon as Jon confessed to killing Dany. Is there a reasonable way that could have been avoided? Yes. Jon could have gone to Davos first, had him gather Northern soldiers to protect his life and negotiate a peaceable surrender. Did they really need to show how that played out? I don't think they did. The audience doesn't need their hand held all the time.
Well ... to answer your question ... Jon could have just said that Drogon went nuts and just carried Dany away. See ... not so hard was it? And I came up with that without having my hand held.
Old 05-20-19, 11:18 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Sort of lame ending.. It logistically made no sense. The demon image of Dany and Drogon melting the IT were cool. They tried really hard to set up possibility of additional series, especially Arya. Dragons ARE magic in ASOIAF I think a great ending would have been Drogon in Volantis resurrecting Dany.
Old 05-20-19, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Hell, the happiest thing in the finale was Ghost getting pet.
Easily the best part of the episode - and I'm not even much of a "dog person"!

Old 05-20-19, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,260 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
I also believe this is correct. The only way for "the game" to end was by switching from birthright to chosen. To do this all heirs had to be eliminated, and the chosen ruler unable to have children. Jon's exile was the compromise that achieved this. His going free or being killed would have continued the fighting and not ended the "game"
Dany had to do something bad enough to make Jon eliminate her from the game. Jon had to made prisoner in order to bring that council together to end the game. Had he been killed the council wouldn't have happened and the fighting would just continue.
And in the end, Jon Snow is still the hero. The true heir who sacrificed it all for everybody else and rides into the sunset.

It was also important that the new ruler came with his own chair.
Old 05-20-19, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I like to imagine Jon will be the new king north of the wall.
Old 05-20-19, 11:43 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Well ... to answer your question ... Jon could have just said that Drogon went nuts and just carried Dany away. See ... not so hard was it? And I came up with that without having my hand held.
Not sure how anyone who has watched the show would think he would lie about it.
Old 05-20-19, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As to the complaints about Dany not having guards who could have stopped Jon from killing her, a question. Do you think she had guards in the bedroom every time her and Jon hooked up? Besides she had Drogon right outside to protect her from any who shouldn't get in. No, Drogon trusted Jon. Dany trusted Jon. He would have had full access to her.
Old 05-20-19, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Congratulations, you came up with an idea that would have been completely out of character for Jon Snow.
Old 05-20-19, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
No. You got called out for repeatedly just making comments like this. It does nothing for the conversation. Plenty here don't seem to like what happened with this season, but at least they are offering comments as to why instead of just saying fuck HBO, fuck D&D, GRRM is a corporate shill now who only cares about cashing checks over and over again. There's a difference.
Dude, you said I was thread crapping on my FIRST post in the NK episode. LMAO Repeatedly?

Do you even know what thread crapping or trolling even is? I'm not in a movie thread for a movie I've never seen, saying it sucks. I've watched every episode of this show (most more than once) and only started having an issue 2-3 weeks ago. Get over yourself. Your opinion is no more valid than mine.
Old 05-20-19, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
You give me an Arya the Explorer series and I'll be in heaven.
Old 05-20-19, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I’m OK with the resolutions of the various characters. The whole episode was just kind of meh for me, though. I still love the series and am generally fine with the last season, but I don’t see myself needing to revisit it as much as I watched the earlier seasons. Life goes on.
Old 05-20-19, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
You give me an Arya the Explorer series and I'll be in heaven.
"Do YOU see a savage warrior planning to rape me? Where?"
Old 05-20-19, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris

It's obvious to me they skipped that entire bit between Drogon flying away with Dany and Jon being in jail, because they had no idea how to handle it.
++++
Old 05-20-19, 12:21 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Not sure how anyone who has watched the show would think he would lie about it.
What Lie?

A. Drogon did go nuts.
B. He did carry Dany away.

Old 05-20-19, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
How is the ending a surprise?
GRRM has always maintained that it would have a mostly "happy" ending, though bittersweet, not unlike LOTR.
And that's exactly what it was.
Y'all can't blame the show for your own skewed expectations.
Skewed? Consider that maybe some people haven't bird-dogged every fact that GRRM spit out there. I had an idea of what the ending would be and they gave me something different. I'm not bashing it, but I'm not thrilled with it either.
Old 05-20-19, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel
I noticed Brienne writing in the book about Tyrion killing Joffrey. I take it word never got around that it was actually Olenna Tyrell who did it?
The log is maintained by the Lord Commander of the King's Guard, who was Jaime. He must have been right busy since Olenna told him.
Old 05-20-19, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris

It was also important that the new ruler came with his own chair.

Old 05-20-19, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,260 Likes on 838 Posts

Apparently, there are not one, but two plastic water bottles visible in the scene where they choose the new king. The culprits are Sam and Sir Davos.

https://www.marieclaire.com/culture/...final-episode/
Old 05-20-19, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
"Do YOU see a savage warrior planning to rape me? Where?"

"We had such an exciting trip today! What was your favorite part of the trip? When I stabbed the bandit through the eye with Needle? I liked that too!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.