Tim Conway, Star of The Carol Burnett Show, Dies at 85

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-19, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Tim Conway, Star of The Carol Burnett Show, Dies at 85

https://people.com/tv/tim-conway-dies/

Tim Conway has died at the age of 85.

He passed away at 8:45 a.m. in the Los Angeles area on Tuesday, his rep Howard Bragman confirms to PEOPLE.

Prior to his death, he suffered complications from Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus (NPH) and had no signs of dementia or Alzheimer’s.

Conway is survived by his wife of 35 years, his stepdaughter, his six biological children and two granddaughters. In lieu of flowers or gifts, the family would like donations to be made to The Lou Ruvo Brain Center at the Cleveland Clinic in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The beloved actor is best known for his work on The Carol Burnett Show, winning viewers over with characters like the Oldest Man and Mr. Tudball, whose accent he has said was inspired by his Romanian mother. He was known to ad-lib his sketches — even surprising his scene partners — and won a Golden Globe Award for the series in 1976, along with Emmys in 1973, 1977 and 1978.

At a 2013 event promoting his memoir, What’s So Funny? My Hilarious Life, Burnett, now 86, painted her collaborator as an on-set prankster.

“Tim’s goal in life was to destroy [costar] Harvey Korman,” she told the crowd, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

“Harvey wet his pants,” Conway bragged.

It’s an anecdote he also recalled in a 2013 interview with the Los Angeles Times.

“Harvey never saw what I was going to do until he was actually doing the sketch,” he said. “As a matter of fact in the dentist sketch you can actually see Harvey wet his pants from laughing.”

Tim Conway

Silver Screen Collection/Getty

Before making his mark in Hollywood, Conway studied TV and radio at Bowling State University and enlisted in the Army, where is goofiness already shone through. In the L.A. Times interview, he remembered misplacing his rifle before a 4 a.m. drill.

“I looked in the garbage and there was this long neon tube,” he remembered. “So I took that. As the lieutenant came around the corner. I said, ‘Halt.’ I am pointing this bulb at him and he said ‘What is that?’ I said, ‘It’s a light bulb and if you come any closer, I’ll turn it on.’ He had very little sense of humor. I spent an extra two weeks [in the service] painting rocks in Seattle.”

After his military service, he worked at a local station in Cleveland.

“I had no professional training. I had a sense of humor and had been in front of a microphone,” Conway said of his show business beginnings on an episode of The Interviews: An Oral History of Television in 2004.

He appeared as a guest star on The Carol Burnett Show for eight seasons before becoming a regular in 1975.

“They used to do 33 shows a year on Burnett,” he told the L.A. Times. “She said why don’t you just be a regular on the show? I said I will tell you what. I will do 32 shows and leave one week open at the end, so I can guest on somebody’s show. I always guested on her show, but I did have the right to go somewhere else. My job on every show was to break everybody up.”

His own sitcom, The Tim Conway Show, had lasted one season in 1970. His variety show of the same name aired from 1980-81.

Conway also starred on McHale’s Navy, voiced Barnacle Boy on SpongebobSquarepants and even made a special appearance on the second season of 30 Rock, for which he received an Emmy.

Ernest Borgnine and Tim Conway on McHale's Navy

ABC Photo Archives/ABC via Getty

Conway’s death comes after his daughter Kelly and wife Charlene had been fighting over his care.

Kelly filed court documents asking to be appointed conservator of her father in order to be in charge of his medical treatments in in August 2018. She alleged that Charlene was “planning to move him out of the excellent skilled nursing facility he is currently at” and place him into a lesser quality home. She claimed her father could not “properly provide for his personal needs for physical health, food, and clothing” and is “almost entirely unresponsive.”

Days later, Kelly sought a temporary restraining order to stop the move. But in March, Charlene was appointed conservator of her husband.

Before his wedding to Charlene in 1984, Conway was married to Mary Anne Dalton from 1961-78. Together they share seven children: sons Jaime, Tim Jr., Pat, Corey and Shawn and daughter Jackie and Kelly.
Old 05-14-19, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Tim Conway, Star of The Carol Burnett Show, Dies at 85

TC was one of the funniest guys of all time.
RIP.
Old 05-14-19, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

It seems like there's very few left from the golden age of Hollywood. Doris Day yesterday, now Time Conway. He was so funny and him getting the rest of the cast of the Carol Burnett show to crack up was always a hoot. I remember as a kid, him being featured on the old Scooby-Doo movies from the 70's. RIP.
Old 05-14-19, 12:04 PM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

We all knew he was funny. What I heard was that he was very kind, too. A great talent and good man.
Old 05-14-19, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Yeah, half the fun of watching The Carol Burnett Show was watching him try to get to Harvey. His comedy had a quiet kindness.
Old 05-14-19, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

His son had or has a show out here in L.A. I was a big fan of Tim Conway Jr. when he was on 97.1 FM back in the day. TC was also great in his appearances on Married with Children - he played Peg's father.
Old 05-14-19, 12:17 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

He was perhaps my favorite part of the nearly perfect Carol Burnett Show. Amos Tucker
Old 05-14-19, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Loved watching him in movies with Don Knotts when I was a kid. The Private Eyes was a favorite of mine.

RIP to a comedic legend
Old 05-14-19, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

I guess that little asshole is through.

I hope he's up there making Korman piss his pants. #RIP
Old 05-14-19, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Sad to hear about his passing. I recently saw him on a Tonight Show rerun and he was an absolute delight.

Old 05-14-19, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Jr. is on the radio locally but I haven't listened in a while, I wonder if this was a known thing or if it was rather sudden. I seem to remember just a few months ago they were both on together too.
Old 05-14-19, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
His son had or has a show out here in L.A. I was a big fan of Tim Conway Jr. when he was on 97.1 FM back in the day.
Tim Conway Jr has been on KFI for about 8 years now. He's good.
Old 05-14-19, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Tim Conway Jr has been on KFI for about 8 years now. He's good.
Yeah I listen to him often. Ding dong!
Old 05-14-19, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod
Yeah I listen to him often. Ding dong!
Ding DONG!!
Old 05-14-19, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Yeah, half the fun of watching The Carol Burnett Show was watching him try to get to Harvey. His comedy had a quiet kindness.
I agree. This was one of the few variety shows that could get away with them laughing and breaking character in a skit (I hated when Jimmy Fallon and Horatio Sanz would laugh in every skit on SNL), but it somehow worked for the Carol Burnett Show.
Old 05-16-19, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Last time I saw Conway in something was voicing "The Weeper" on BATMAN: THE BRAVE & BOLD.

Rest In Peace!