Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Returning to DirecTV questions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-19, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Returning to DirecTV questions?

I am a former subscriber for approx. 10 yrs(Aug. 2008-April 2018).

They called the other day and offered me 2 gift cards (200 and 300 dollars) and free 2019 NFL Sunday Ticket plus the same plan I had previously plus the RSN's for 70 dollars a month(for the first year).

OK-Now the questions(since it won't be installed for 2 more days).

I have 4 TVs (3 Smart and 1 HD-TV).

I am getting DirecTV Genie 2 plus DirecTV Wireless Genie Mini.

Can you hook up the Genie 2 too the non-smart TV with HDMI line out(without a Roku even though using one might be the only other option)?

Can you hook up the Wireless Genie Mini to a Smart TV?

What about DVR recordings during storms? Is the recording feed coming from the dish or is it from streaming(so the recording won't be interrupted)?

Since I also have 3 PC's will it be a problem to watch TV on all 7 devices(4 TVs and 3 PCs)?

Over the past year has any app's been added?

When I last had Direct TV they had an ESPN3 app(which was a disaster at the time) and do they still have it?
Old 05-01-19, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts
Re: Returning to DirecTV questions?

That sounds like a scam.

Are you sure it was them?
Have you called the regular Dtv phone number to confirm it.
Old 05-01-19, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

To answer one question
If it rains the feed probably will be interupted for a few minutes and even longer if it’s serious storm.
Old 05-01-19, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whotony
That sounds like a scam.

Are you sure it was them?
Have you called the regular Dtv phone number to confirm it.
All of those perks have been confirmed.

They desperately want customers to return without the forced movie channels included.
Old 05-01-19, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I'm going from memory on most of this, so grain of salt and all...

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
What about DVR recordings during storms? Is the recording feed coming from the dish or is it from streaming(so the recording won't be interrupted)?
DVR recordings of live shows are off the dish signal. Rain/snow fade can be an issue but only if particularly heavy (my experience). Many major shows are available ondemand shortly after airing. That is off the internet. Live sporting events can be an issue since those rarely are ondemand, but often have later replays. I haven't had many sleepless nights the past 10 years caused by rain fade.

Since I also have 3 PC's will it be a problem to watch TV on all 7 devices(4 TVs and 3 PCs)?
The only device we've used for viewing is an iPhone or iPad on occasion. I have not had any issues with that. Not all channels (such as the locals) are available to watch on the devices. You need to be on the same network as your receiver to watch live TV. You can watch recordings off the DVR and even sync recordings to your portable device to take on the road with you for viewing.

Over the past year has any app's been added?
I don't use the DirecTV apps, but there aren't any useful ones regardless. That said, you can use your DirecTV login to use AppleTV, Firestick, etc apps to watch channels you subscribe to. Half my extended family watches channels I pay for.

When I last had Direct TV they had an ESPN3 app(which was a disaster at the time) and do they still have it?
No ESPN3, but you can stream ESPN3 style content (non-main channel broadcast events and such) from ESPN.com with your DirecTV login. I don't think ESPN3 exists any more. It has been rebranded to 'WatchESPN' or something like that.
Old 05-01-19, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ESPN 3 is still around.

I have ESPN + and when I look at the overall ESPN network's tv schedule ESPN 3 still has many televised sporting event's(mostly college basketball and football).

In the past when I had DirecTV I avoided DVR recording's if there was going to be storms or heavy rain in the area.

I am getting a replacement dish and was told that it will be stronger so I really don't know what that mean's.
Old 05-03-19, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

ESPN 3 is still around.

I have ESPN + and when I look at the overall ESPN network's tv schedule ESPN 3 still has many televised sporting event's(mostly college basketball and football).

In the past when I had DirecTV I avoided DVR recording's if there was going to be storms or heavy rain in the area.

I am getting a replacement dish and was told that it will be stronger so I really don't know what that mean's.
Means they are locking you into a contract! They are probably replacing the dish, because they did not own the previous one. Regardless of what they told you, look for the bill to go up in a few months.