Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S8E03) -- 82 minute episode -- “The Long Night” -- 4/28/19

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-19, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E03) -- 82 minute episode -- “The Long Night” -- 4/28/19

Interesting couple of things I heard on the radio this morning. The reason the night King wants to kill Bran so badly he holds the history of man right now, killing him ends all memories of man and the dead would rule the world.

Also the Night king was a Tygarian and that is why fire did not kill him.

I felt the episode redeemed itself in the end,but the fogginess and complete darkness that enveloped the battle is more or less unforgivable for what was hyped as the biggest battle ever put to film. I have a ~5 year old HDTV so maybe the picture quality was lacking but I felt like I was watching a night scene during the day for half of the battle and I had all the lights in the room off.

will have to re-watch this for sure, but I find it irresponsible to have not killed off Briana, the hound or Jamie at the very least given how over run they were with the dead let alone Greyworm. I did think Sansa was about to off herself in the crypts toward the end but I'm glad she didn't. Really feel they should have killed off more of the cast at this point and it feels like fan service not to have done so.
Old 04-29-19, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I really liked most of it, but man I'm really pissed that they had the dead rising in the crypt.

First of all, the reanimated corpse in King's Landing couldn't even break out of a wooden crate, but the ones in Winterfell can apparently Bruce Lee punch their way out of stone sarcophagi?

Second, that means that their entire war council, INCLUDING the three-eyed raven, came up with that plan and not one of them went "hey, we're fighting a guy who can raise the dead, maybe we shouldn't send all the women and children into the place with all the dead bodies"? Just lazy writing to add tension to the episode.

Other than that, some great stuff. Though, now they don't seem to have nearly enough forces to fight Cersei...
Old 04-29-19, 08:26 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
Interesting couple of things I heard on the radio this morning. The reason the night King wants to kill Bran so badly he holds the history of man right now, killing him ends all memories of man and the dead would rule the world.
This was said by Bran during the episode last week...
Old 04-29-19, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
You do realize that there are fans out there who don't care about The Avengers, so it's not a golden age of cinema for everyone.

I thought the plot point of the White Walkers was essentially uneccessary and side tracked the show, and was there just to give a certain part of the fanbase a 'wow' episode. I'm not going to nitpick about this and that regarding the episode like others, as I'm looking big picture. The next 3 episodes are what I care about is that is what the show was built on: Cersei vs Jon/Dany and who get's the Game of Thrones? That episode played out EXACTLY like The Walking Dead episode in it's latter years where it killed alot of 'B' characters, and ended up having movie cliches like Arya coming in and saving the day (sorry, but I saw that coming a mile away). Game of Thrones has been a great show but the last 2 seasons built up to that and it was ultimately irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Yes, their army is depleted so Cersei has the advantage now but the White Walkers were played up much more than that. I will go out and say that the whole White Walkers subplot could have been nixed and the show would have been just as great, as the last season could have focused on everyone picking sides in the final battle for The Game of Thrones. I've been down on the show for the past year, but I'm really looking forward to the next 3 episodes as I wish there were 10 episodes to cover this final battle between all of the players.

Again, sorry if I don't share your love for this episode and The Avengers. It's cool that you love both, but don't call out people like me for not loving it as I'm not jaded as the last season has been a different show than the previous 6 seasons.
Seriously? Why? Because they didn't win?

Why would Jaime and Tyrion be on 'the other side' if that subplot didn't exist? Plus the unification of the different houses/dothraki/unsullied?

So much happened due to the white walkers, it's ridiculous to say they were an unnecessary part of the show.

No one has mentioned it, but I loved the way Melisandre went out. It was very well done, even if we didn't get to see detail. It would've been too cliche for Ser Davos to have killed her, so I'm glad they didn't go that route.
Old 04-29-19, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Also the Night king was a Tygarian and that is why fire did not kill him.
Sadly, we'll probably never get any confirmation on this. It make sense but now that he's gone, I doubt the show will offer up more backstory. It's on to King's Landing.
Old 04-29-19, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

While I'm sure they were there, I didn't really see Yohn Royce in this episode so it's more fun to think he said "fuck this" and took the Knights of the Vale home.

This has sat with me a little, and I still think that given that this was the battle that has been building since the first ten minutes of the show there was a stunning lack of consequences for the main roster of characters. No one from that fire side congregation in episode two died. Really? The only two characters of any consequence that died were Jorah and Theon. Jorah should have already died in that little excursion north of the wall in the last season, and this was a fitting conclusion to Theon's story.

To put my money where my mouth is, here are the additional characters I would have killed:

Grey Worm
Pod
Brienne
Tormund

And while she wouldn't have been on my pre-episode list, given that she killed the Night King and won the battle I would have had Arya die doing that.
Old 04-29-19, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Noonan
Sadly, we'll probably never get any confirmation on this. It make sense but now that he's gone, I doubt the show will offer up more backstory. It's on to King's Landing.
We'll find out in the prequel series:

What’s it about? Taking place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones, the series chronicles the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. From the horrifying secrets of Westeros’s history to the true origin of the White Walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend, only one thing is for sure: It’s not the story we think we know.
https://www.hbo.com/hbo-news/game-of...l-what-to-know
Old 04-29-19, 08:48 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Edge of the seat stuff for sure, but way too dark.

no significant deaths but some good scenes
Old 04-29-19, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
The build up was perfect, seeing the those flaming swords quickly go out in the distance.
It was a cool scene. But seriously, they knew what was coming, how many they were and what they could do. Was the best tactic really to just sent the entire horse horde riding into the darkness??
Old 04-29-19, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

Arya is a badass at the beginning slaying dozens of walkers and then all of sudden she spends the rest of the episode as a damsel in distress...until her Air Jordan attack on the the Night King. I kept expecting her to change faces with the dead but she just kept running up and down castle corridors.
They talked about this a bit in the discussion after the episode. One of the producers says how you see her just dominating until she gets knocked into the wall and isn't at 100% anymore. Basically she got slightly concussed and disoriented. She went into survival mode until she got her wits back.
Old 04-29-19, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

Great episode - very satisfying. I knew right away after how it went down people would 1. not like that the Arya took him out 2. Want more of the Night King's background after it's already been explained over 3 seasons.
Old 04-29-19, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Over the last couple of seasons, plot armor has gotten to be a real problem and this episode brought it to a head. I never had any doubt that the main characters would survive, and that really lessened the stakes for me as I was watching it. Did they all have to die? Of course not, but having all of them survive (especially those on the front lines) is absurd. I still enjoy the show. I'm not saying it's terrible by any stretch. I just haven't had the "anyone can be killed at any time" feeling about the show in quite awhile, and I miss that unpredictability.
Old 04-29-19, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

Was just talking about this with someone, how the hell does an entire Delthaki army on horseback get taken out immediately but all of the main characters manage to live?
Old 04-29-19, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bralph
I just haven't had the "anyone can be killed at any time" feeling about the show in quite awhile, and I miss that unpredictability.
That's all the show. Remember, the last scene we have in book form is Jon getting killed by the Night Watch. HBO set up all the main characters with high level plot armor.
Old 04-29-19, 09:52 AM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Was just talking about this with someone, how the hell does an entire Delthaki army on horseback get taken out immediately but all of the main characters manage to live?
they ran straight into the entire dead army out in the open?
Old 04-29-19, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Plot armor?
Old 04-29-19, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whotony
Plot armor?
Basically just means we know they're not gonna die. Like when a main character of a TV show is in some compromising scenario where they could die. We know they're not cause they're the main character of the show (ie wearing plot armor).
Old 04-29-19, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

"Game of Thrones" is only famous for killing off characters unexpectedly because the audience THINKS they are important. Ned, Rob, Catelyn, Cersei's children, Margery, etc. deaths were shocking but those characters were unnecessary to the overall story. And those deaths helped propel the characters who will survive to the final moments.

They weren't going to kill characters like Arya or Jon in this episode. I could see either of them dying at the end of the show, but not with two episodes left.
Old 04-29-19, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

^ Three episodes left
Old 04-29-19, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
They weren't going to kill characters like Arya or Jon in this episode. I could see either of them dying at the end of the show, but not with two episodes left.
I don't see why not. With only a few episodes left I think dusting off a major character would have been the perfect thing to do. For example, with half the viewers thinking Daenerys is going to get sitting on the throne at the end - why not kill her off? That way the viewers would know anything can happen to anyone during these final episodes.. but instead we were left with the killing off of some ancillary characters.

Don't get me wrong.. I'm OK with it and I think most people are because whoever they are rooting for are likely still around. But if they REALLY wanted to shake things up and show us we are going on a really nasty ride they easily could have.

Old 04-29-19, 10:39 AM

"Game of Thrones" is only famous for killing off characters unexpectedly because the audience THINKS they are important. Ned, Rob, Catelyn, Cersei's children, Margery, etc. deaths were shocking but those characters were unnecessary to the overall story. And those deaths helped propel the characters who will survive to the final moments.

Well, all of those previous characters WERE important, until they weren't anymore... As Noonan mentioned, ever since the show has not had the books blueprint to follow, characters would be much more likely to get a last-second-save than get taken out. For example, the show has gone out of its way to say that Jamie is not half the fighter he used to be since he lost his hand, but that hasn't stopped him from surviving how many battles now?
Old 04-29-19, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by General Zod
I don't see why not. With only a few episodes left I think dusting off a major character would have been the perfect thing to do. For example, with half the viewers thinking Daenerys is going to get sitting on the throne at the end - why not kill her off? That way the viewers would know anything can happen to anyone during these final episodes.. but instead we were left with the killing off of some ancillary characters.

Don't get me wrong.. I'm OK with it and I think most people are because whoever they are rooting for are likely still around. But if they REALLY wanted to shake things up and show us we are going on a really nasty ride they easily could have.
Agreed 100%.
Old 04-29-19, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I think this episode was shocking because the audience was conditioned to expect their favorite characters to die (especially after Episode 2), but they survived. And I think killing off the Night King was pretty shocking, I thought he wouldn't even be at the battle, I thought Winterfell would be sacked, and everyone would retreat to Kings Landing. His death felt similar to
Spoiler:
Snoke
in The Last Jedi, no one expected the "big bad" to die this early and quickly, especially with no backstory on him.
Old 04-29-19, 11:01 AM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

We got backstory on the Night King, he was created to kill humans and thats it
Old 04-29-19, 11:11 AM

<iframe width="676" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_3M0Xt97aFI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.