TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S8E03) -- 82 minute episode -- “The Long Night” -- 4/28/19

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-19, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E03) -- 82 minute episode -- “The Long Night” -- 4/28/19

Originally Posted by Noonan
Hey man, I've been waiting 20+ years for this battle. I expected a lot and got FAR less.

Manage your expectations?
Old 04-29-19, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
If you say so. I'm a mouth breather who didn't read the books. So me can only take word from you. < heavy breathing >
I didn't mean that to say that the book was better. Just that the show-runners already had the source material for Blackwater to adapt to screen. Whereas this battle was all done by HBO; including the story/fallout.
Old 04-29-19, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Not a single main/named character has been killed since we moved past the books and Jon was brought back (I don't consider any of the deaths from the episode to be main, even Jorah). I don't care about Cersei; this was the fight the story has always been building up to and was spoken about as far back as the prologue in GoT. The tag line is Winter is Coming; not Crazy Queen Lanister is Coming. Not only should the battle with the NK been the final resolution to the story but the fight should have been devastating at a character level. Now they either have to end it with everyone alive, wrapped up with a nice bow or try to explain why/how a battle with people in much smaller numbers is more lethal than an un-winnable battle against 100k+ undead soldiers.
I largely agree, but I would consider Theon to be a main character. He isn't one of the five lead characters, but I would put him with Arya and Sansa on the list of the second tier active characters on the show.
Old 04-29-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I largely agree, but I would consider Theon to be a main character. He isn't one of the five lead characters, but I would put him with Arya and Sansa on the list of the second tier active characters on the show.
Yeah; I wouldn't try to argue that. Only difference for him is that we've been expecting his death for years.

So now that this is all resolved, what is Theon's sister and crew going to do? They were taking back the Iron Islands partially to be a safe haven for humans if the NK won. I assume they'll come help at King's Landing but their intended purpose for going home is no longer needed.
Old 04-29-19, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I think the filmmaking sin this episode is guilty of is trying to make the viewer feel like the characters.

Just because a situation is chaotic and difficult to see for the characters, doesn't mean it should be made to be difficult to see for the viewers - good filmmakers can still get that feeling across without having to obscure everything like they did here.
You can convey obscured chaos without being obscured and chaotic.
Old 04-29-19, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dex14
No he didn't. That was Neil Marshall.

My mistake. I thought I heard them say he did in the after show video . Thanks dex14 you never let me down.
Old 04-29-19, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah Neil Marshall was the OG battle director with Blackwater and The Watchers on the Wall.

After Miguel Sapochnik did Hardhome, he became the battle director, with Battle of the Bastards, last night's episode, and episode 5 of this season. He also did The Winds of Winter which is my favorite episode of the series so far.
Old 04-29-19, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by outcastja
Yeah Neil Marshall was the OG battle director with Blackwater and The Watchers on the Wall.

After Miguel Sapochnik did Hardhome, he became the battle director, with Battle of the Bastards, last night's episode, and episode 5 of this season. He also did The Winds of Winter which is my favorite episode of the series so far.
Ah that's where I got it. Thanks.
Old 04-29-19, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cusm
There's enjoying a show about Dragons, dead returned to life, witches resurrecting people multiple times, and worging into animals/humans and then there's peoples panties in a bunch because a trained assassin was able to sneak around in her childhood home.
Regardless of the existence of fantastical elements, the show has always had strong internal logic to the way the world of GoT works: the limitations of people, the limitations of dragons, the limitations of witches. This logic was hugely important because it lent a sense of real weight to the characters and their struggles: you knew no one was a super hero and thus everyone was in real danger. That logic has increasingly gone out the window in the latter seasons, in my opinion to the detriment of the tension in the show. The appeal of GoT to me was thinking about the logic of this horrible world and these horrible people. The show is arguably about those "rules of the game". Recently, the show has become less about thinking and more about "whoa, look at that, that's cool". I completely respect that, but it is a change.
Old 04-29-19, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

For me one thing has come to pass, I'm sick of reading the phrase "plot armor".

Overall a good episode, once engaged in battle they had to finish the Night King storyline in one episode so they could refocus on the iron throne. There are simply not enough minutes left to drag out the Night King story line.

Now I would like to see Arya kill off Cersei so she can have the title "King and Queen Slayer" or just "The Slayer" for short.

Also, I watched it on DirecTV and it looked fine, dark yes but the picture quality was good.

Last edited by WCChiCubsFan; 04-29-19 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-29-19, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They filmed this as if none of the show runners understood what made people fanatical about the show at the end of Season 1 and what made it a phenomenon after the Red Wedding episode. It certainly wasn't fast-cut fight scenes with dragons.
Old 04-29-19, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts

I don't think Arya could have killed a White Walker and taken his face. They appear to shatter every time they get killed.

When I watched it, and Arya switched hands with the knife, I knew I had seen it before but couldn't remember when she did it. They mentioned on the inside the episode that she did it when she was sparring with Brienne in the courtyard last season.
Old 04-29-19, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't know, I feel like NOT killing off major characters WHEN EVERYONE WAS EXPECTING THEM TOO...was pretty bold.
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

In an earlier scene we saw that the walkers were sensitive enough to hear blood dripping on the ground and ID where it was coming from. Then Arya off-screen somehow got to the Godswood and past the White Walker generals without being heard? She would have had to stand directly in front of all of them to jump at the NK the way she did.
What makes you think she wasn't already at the Godswood, hidden and ready to pounce by the time the White Walker generals got there? I'd have to go back to see exactly how things were cut, but she leaves Melisandre and the Hound something like 20 minutes of show time before she kills the Night King. I'm pretty sure Jon foolishly charging the Night King out on the battle field happened after that, along with a lot of other stuff. I think it's reasonable to assume she had already stealthily moved into a hidden position to protect Bran while Theon and his crew were fighting off the more manageable initial rush of undead attackers at the Godswood. She knew the plan was always to lure the Night King to the Godswood and once Melisandre gave her "the talk" she realized she was destined to assassinate him.
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

I enjoyed the episode. The battle certainly felt epic, and had plenty of “oh shit” moments like when the NK revived the dead, leading to the crypt scene that we all knew was coming. And I liked Arya’s video game scene and Lyanna Mormont’s exit (not the fact that she exited, because the character is awesome).

That said, I agree that it was pretty inexcusable plot armor to have only a handful of minor deaths the way some of the fighters were getting overwhelmed. I made the mistake of checking social media before watching, and someone had posted “Game of Thrones! You actually went there?!” So throughout the episode I was wondering how far they were going to go. Wipe out all the humans? It looked like that was going to happen. As it turns out, I didn’t notice that that person had also changed their profile pic to Arya, so I guess that’s what the reference was to, though I don’t see how Arya as super-assassin qualifies as “going there,” but whatever. Now I’m not saying that my expectations of the episode were based on a random Facebook comment, but going in I did expect much higher consequences, and I expected them from the way the battle was going.

Count me among those who found it really hard to see, though I get that the NK was using the blizzard to disorient and confuse. I thought it might have been my streaming quality. My console buffered several times during the battle—fun!—and the post-episode interviews were all fuzzy. I’ll watch it again and see if it’s any better.
Old 04-29-19, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kefrank
What makes you think she wasn't already at the Godswood, hidden and ready to pounce by the time the White Walker generals got there? I'd have to go back to see exactly how things were cut, but she leaves Melisandre and the Hound something like 20 minutes of show time before she kills the Night King. I'm pretty sure Jon foolishly charging the Night King out on the battle field happened after that, along with a lot of other stuff. I think it's reasonable to assume she had already stealthily moved into a hidden position to protect Bran while Theon and his crew were fighting off the more manageable initial rush of undead attackers at the Godswood. She knew the plan was always to lure the Night King to the Godswood and once Melisandre gave her "the talk" she realized she was destined to assassinate him.

Exactly
Old 04-29-19, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kefrank
Sure, that could be it. But we'll never know because of how they filmed it. Seeing that would have added A LOT however it also would have made it obvious how it was going to end, even though it was already kinda pointed out when Red Witch mentioned her killing blue eyes. This is a show which is usually overflowing with detail and world building. Leaving all that out so the audience didn't know she'd be there is mickey mouse writing tactics.
Old 04-29-19, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,263 Likes on 841 Posts

GOT S8E3: No shocks nor surprises whatsoever, other than a case-study on when HDR and truly black pixels can betray you.
Old 04-29-19, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

Hey man, I've been waiting 20+ years for this battle. I expected a lot and got FAR less.
How do you think Stephen King Dark Tower fans feel after the shit show of a movie we got after 20 years? It vaguely resembled the series and the gunslinger was ONLY after the Man in black for vengeance not even to save the tower. This middling episode was almost as long as the DT movie and 1000% better by comparison.

That said why the hell did they spend literally months filming at night to show us snow and wind effects and no real view of most of the battle??
Old 04-29-19, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jpcamb
How do you think Stephen King Dark Tower fans feel after the shit show of a movie we got after 20 years? It vaguely resembled the series and the gunslinger was ONLY after the Man in black for vengeance not even to save the tower. This middling episode was almost as long as the DT movie and 1000% better by comparison.
I don't know the DT series very well but it's not the same. The books finished and were adapted to the movie (which I know was terrible). This is the actual conclusion to the story we've been waiting for. It was still the 90's when I first read through GoT-SoS and I have to accept that what HBO has done is the conclusion to the world.
Old 04-29-19, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jpcamb
That said why the hell did they spend literally months filming at night to show us snow and wind effects and no real view of most of the battle??
To save money on special effects. Also, having a war with the Night King during the day would be kinda silly.
Old 04-29-19, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

I liked how Jorah went out... that screen probably should have lasted a bit longer.
Old 04-29-19, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Question for the book readers, do you think GRRM will finish his books before HBO finishes their GoT prequel series?
Old 04-29-19, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Question for the book readers, do you think GRRM will finish his books before HBO finishes their GoT prequel series?
I don't have faith that we'll see even the next book; let alone the last couple to conclude. What's his motivation? He's getting paid more now that he was when he was just an author, HBO is already wrapping it up for him, and only dedicated book fans would go back to read drawn-out novels for story they've already seen on TV.
Old 04-29-19, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

With his writing black out dates (NFL season), his con appearances, working on different games, working with HBO on the shows, his healthy eating and lifestyle, I do not think he will survive to finish it before the prequel premieres.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.