TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S8E03) -- 82 minute episode -- “The Long Night” -- 4/28/19

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-19, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E03) -- 82 minute episode -- “The Long Night” -- 4/28/19

Originally Posted by jfoobar
I don't think there is any question that Theon is a major character.
I wasn't arguing against Theon being a major character, just for Arya. I agree completely about Theon.

Now Sansa is definitely second tier.

​​​​
Old 04-30-19, 06:59 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by badlieut
All I could think of during the battle was Howard Stern is going to be bitching about how dark the episode was and he couldn't see anything.
He sure is bitching hard right now.
Old 04-30-19, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
...but certainly one or more among Tormund, Sam, Gilly, Grey Worm, Missandei, Clegane, Gendry, Brienne and Davos.
This is a rather arbitrary list considering that both Theon and Jorah are at least as major of a character as any of the people you name here.

Personally, I was convinced that either Brienne or Tormund was going to buy it in E3 until I noticed that there was no romantic subplot between them in E2. There will be something between them (although not necessarily anything heavy) before one of them dies. Jorah was an easy one. It was so obvious that he was going to die at some point defending Dany. It was only a matter of when.
Old 04-30-19, 07:44 AM

Per TMZ:

"Game of Thrones" Battle of Winterfell left fans cheering and complaining -- the latter due to it being too damn dark -- but the cinematographer wants to make it clear ... the gripes aren't his fault.

Fabian Wagner -- who was also the cinematographer on lauded 'Thrones' episodes like "Hardhome" and "Battle of the Bastards" -- tells TMZ, he's aware folks are upset that "The Long Night" looked TOO nightly, and he has an explanation.

First, Fabian believes the pixelation and muddy dark colors fans saw on their TVs and mobile devices are due to HBO's compression of the episode ... which leads to poorer visual quality. This is made worse if it's being viewed on a streaming service with a weak connection ... or in a room that's too bright.

As Wagner puts it ... "[GoT] has always been very dark and a very cinematic show" and should be watched in a dark environment. Ideally, this means viewing it like you would a movie -- in a dark theater.

Since that's not realistic for 'Thrones,' Fabian suggests making your viewing room at home as dark as possible, avoid watching on your phone or in places that are lit up ... and adjust your TV settings.

The cinematographer also points out ... the showrunners and director wanted the episode to be dark. Wagner says the battle scenes were intended to be intense, claustrophobic and disorienting -- like they would be in real life -- but not confusing.

Fabian says, "We tried to give the viewers and fans a cool episode to watch," and he believes they did, adding ... "I know it wasn't too dark because I shot it."
Old 04-30-19, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Found this video yesterday. This guy is over the top and appears to be reading his gripes from viewer comments rather than being his own but it kinda sums up how I feel about the episode.

Old 04-30-19, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by leeta
I wasn't arguing against Theon being a major character, just for Arya. I agree completely about Theon.

Now Sansa is definitely second tier.
​​​​
If Sansa is second tier, so is Arya. I just found a more updated count of screentime by character as of the end of S7 and Sansa has a pretty sizable gap on Arya. Between S6 and S7, Theon dropped from 8th to 10th, as it happens. Jorah moved up to 8th (Davos is 9th). To this episode killed of #8 and #10, but both characters who have been around continuously since S1. Theon was in the very first episode and Jorah showed up in whatever S1 episode the Dothraki wedding was in.

Going back to Theon (and I know we are more or less in agreement about him), Theon is an incredibly important character in the books, most especially in A Clash of Kings, where 6 of the 69 chapters are specifically about him. Like in the show, however, his role as a central character has been much, much less since then. I think this makes him seem like less of a major character now than he has actually been since his character sort of peaked when he helped Sansa escape.
Old 04-30-19, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I just thought of something that could have been cool, is if the Children of the Forest had popped up at the last minute and helped turn the tides. That might have been a little too derivative of LOTR though.
Old 04-30-19, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Per TMZ:
Argh! Who the hell would watch this on their phone, and then have the nerve to bitch about the quality?

Originally Posted by Noonan
Found this video yesterday. This guy is over the top and appears to be reading his gripes from viewer comments rather than being his own but it kinda sums up how I feel about the episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5VnIGxAPts&t=0s
That preview shot couldn't make me want to watch that video any less.
Old 04-30-19, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus
Like I said, he is a over the top but a lot of the points made mirror my feelings.
Old 04-30-19, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
Because the deadliest battle and most important conflict fought and hyped for 7 seasons should have consequences. Not necessarily Jon or Dany, or even Tyrion, Sansa or Jamie, but certainly one or more among Tormund, Sam, Gilly, Grey Worm, Missandei, Clegane, Gendry, Brienne and Davos.
Then it’s your fault for thinking this was the most important conflict. This show has always been a people fighting over the iron throne. It was always going to be about that. Hence the name.
Old 04-30-19, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
I thought the same thing! Nothing about that makes me say "I am really curious to hear this guy's opinion"...
Old 04-30-19, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by actionjackson29

Then it’s your fault for thinking this was the most important conflict. This show has always been a people fighting over the iron throne. It was always going to be about that. Hence the name.
Game of Thrones is only the name of the first book. The SERIES is called A Song of Ice and Fire. Pretty blatant that GRRM planned the battle against the NK to be the main story, not a human fight for King's Landing.

When reading the books, you can tell GRRM was writing all the humans as dispensable. The idea was that we and our differences are all irrelevant when it comes to a threat like the NK. Similar to the whole "if aliens ever came, humans would band together as a race". HBO threw that all out the window for the sake of fan service.
Old 04-30-19, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
She needed him to turn. She stabbed him right where the Children stabbed him,
Not even close she did. Go back and watch the creation of the Night King scene again. They stabbed him in the upper chest. Arya stabbed him in the abdomen where his armor separated.
Old 04-30-19, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Game of Thrones is only the name of the first book. The SERIES is called A Song of Ice and Fire. Pretty blatant that GRRM planned the battle against the NK to be the main story, not a human fight for King's Landing.

When reading the books, you can tell GRRM was writing all the humans as dispensable. The idea was that we and our differences are all irrelevant when it comes to a threat like the NK. Similar to the whole "if aliens ever came, humans would band together as a race". HBO threw that all out the window for the sake of fan service.
Do you just watch this show to have something to complain about after each episode airs?

(and yes, I will admit I should stop watching Orville just to get that out of the way.)
Old 04-30-19, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Do you just watch this show to have something to complain about after each episode airs?

(and yes, I will admit I should stop watching Orville just to get that out of the way.)
LOL, no. Overall, I absolutely love the show. This is the first episode I've had a real gripe with. Last week was slow but it had good dialogue. This episode threw the concept of the whole series out the window because of fan's love of a character. I do have a real problem with that.

My love of the story is why this episode was so bad (for me).

Last edited by Noonan; 04-30-19 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-30-19, 09:42 AM

Not even close she did. Go back and watch the creation of the Night King scene again. They stabbed him in the upper chest. Arya stabbed him in the abdomen where his armor separated.
They specifically say in the behind the scenes video she stabs him in the same spot. I don't disagree that it didn't look the same... but this is what they said.
Old 04-30-19, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I have a theory about the cinematography of the episode (although I'm sure, if true, no one at HBO will ever admit it).

It was obvious that they wanted the look of the episode to be very active/confusing...the whole "fog of war" thing. However, I DON'T think they intended it to be as dark as it was. I think they weren't happy with how a lot of the F/X came out and decided to "hide" a lot of the poorer/more glaring problems through darkness and more digital obscuration (adding digital layers of snow, fire, or whatever was needed).
People who know how to shoot are chiming in...

And as I said earlier, it just wasn't well staged lit - conveying that the characters feel darkness amid chaos doesn't mean you have to make the viewer feel darkness/chaos as well.
Same as conveying boredom - good filmmakers will be able to show characters are bored without boring the audience.
Old 04-30-19, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

That comment had me confused as well.
I think Draven meant that Arya stabbed him at the same location as when he was created not the same spot on his body.
Old 04-30-19, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Too much nitpicking.

The fictional girl pulled a Winter Soldier move and stabbed the ice zombie with a knife made of an imaginary metal, causing him to shatter and all his zombie cohorts to fall down dead. Meanwhile, dragons.

Any extended evaluation of these story points is silly. Kick back, turn off your brain, and enjoy.
Old 04-30-19, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by whotony

I think Draven meant that Arya stabbed him at the same location as when he was created not the same spot on his body.
OOoOoOoOo at the tree. Good call.
Old 04-30-19, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by The Infidel
Any extended evaluation of these story points is silly. Kick back, turn off your brain, and enjoy.
In all fairness, one of the reasons why GoT is so hugely popular is because viewers have not needed to turn off their brains for most of the series.
Old 04-30-19, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts

No, I actually did mean she stabbed him in the chest like his creation scene. I had rewatched that scene recently (I couldn't remember exactly what happened) and that's what I thought they were going for. Sounds like the creators thought the same thing. I haven't rewatched Sunday's episode to confirm but that's what I got from it.
Old 04-30-19, 10:08 AM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

I enjoyed the battle. I kinda felt more characters were going to die than actually did. I still think they will off more characters in the next 3 episodes. Maybe you relax a bit with them surviving the battle with the dead and then they get offed in the Cersi battle.

Spoiler:
So with Lady Mormont and Jorah Mormont dying, I guess that's it for house Mormont?
Old 04-30-19, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
People who know how to shoot are chiming in...

https://twitter.com/JosephKahn/statu...93114326228992

And as I said earlier, it just wasn't well staged lit - conveying that the characters feel darkness amid chaos doesn't mean you have to make the viewer feel darkness/chaos as well.
Same as conveying boredom - good filmmakers will be able to show characters are bored without boring the audience.
I don't know this guy, but if he thinks compression wasn't a problem, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

It may not have been the only problem (although it was, for me), but it was definitely A problem.
Old 04-30-19, 10:14 AM

So the weirwood heart tree against which the Night King was created is supposed to be the same one that is at the Winterfell godswood now? I certainly didn't take that away from the flashback to when the NK was created.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.